Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
When I'm wrong, I'm wrong, the Onion Gauntlets did wind up in the OSB fest! On a... decidedly unspicy banner. This is rear end from almost-top to bottom! I have Flame Fossil and Physician's Staff and everything else that isn't Eagletalon or Onion Gauntlets is highly unappealing. Don't know if I can go in on this. :( Other than that, 4 follows in JP's footsteps by being the worst, 3 has :tizzy: loving Trident :tizzy: so I'm morally against pulling on it, Water God Tidus and SG and everything else being decent be damned, 2 has the best BSB suite and Celescalibur but :lol: Vaan's OSB, I probably would get it too. 1's probably the best overall with Terra's full combo and a suite of BSBs that gives 2 a run for its money. I had one or two pulls budgeted for this and with the 28 Mythril login bonus for Christmas I can definitely make it two but I have no idea how to allot my pulls. 1 and 2 once each seems like the best but 5 has the Gauntlets (but, as mentioned, almost nothing else) and 3 does have SG and Apocalypse. Trident, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Looks like I'm pulling on 1 and 5. Both nice banners for me with no dupes. I couldn't handle dupes for Christmas :unsmith:

There's so much free mythril flying around between the dash, portal app and this datamining info it's hard to try and budget properly, because I'm unsure if these are all isolated or if things like the dash are accounted for in their login announcements.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So I did the lucky draw and got Faerie Rod, Kefka's Cloak, and Onion Gauntlets. I'm gonna assume that means I should grab Onion Knight because that gives him a BSB, while the other two are good but not that important?

Though I just got two more free soul things so I could get all three of those characters (Fusoya, Kefka, OK).

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 20, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Only have the mythril to pull on one of these, I'm not sure. I have the Tidus OSB and that's earned him a permanent place on my team but I think I'd be rolling more for the BSB selection than the OSB one. For me Banner 5 is the most interesting.

That Tyro OSB seems... decent? Too bad it's on the character with multiple top tier SBs to compete with it.

Are mage OSBs better than physical OSBs? I figured for a mage you want BSB to make use of low hones and give the element bonus

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

So I did the lucky draw and got Faerie Rod, Kefka's Cloak, and Onion Gauntlets. I'm gonna assume that means I should grab Onion Knight because that gives him a BSB, while the other two are good but not that important?

Though I just got two more free soul things so I could get all three of those characters.

You could indeed! However, note that Onion Knight is much weaker than other characters until about level 93 - and you'll need to wait for his third Memory Crystal to pop up again before it's even possible to get him that high.

It is a fantastic SB though, congratulations

As for my own OSBfest plans I think I'm only looking at banners 1 and 3 - I have the Golden Hairpin so Tidus OSB would be a sweet deal; meanwhile, I don't have native Shout and I don't know if it comes back for TG Cid.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 20, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

AweStriker posted:

You could indeed! However, note that Onion Knight is much weaker than other characters until about level 93 - and you'll need to wait for his third Memory Crystal to pop up again before it's even possible to get him that high.

It is a fantastic SB though, congratulations

As for my own OSBfest plans I think I'm only looking at banners 1 and 3 - I have the Golden Hairpin so Tidus OSB would be a sweet deal; meanwhile, I don't have native Shout and I don't know if it comes back for TG Cid.

Onion MC 1-3 were just added to the Hall of Rites today, after the maintenance. :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wow yeah, OK is really bad. I'll definitely hold off on getting him until that's feasible because I don't think he'd be doing much of anything to help me in the meantime.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

The Shortest Path posted:

Wow yeah, OK is really bad. I'll definitely hold off on getting him until that's feasible because I don't think he'd be doing much of anything to help me in the meantime.

He's definitely worth working on/dumping eggs into. He's terribad up until 93 but once he hits 93 his stats go up to stupidly high numbers. And his BSB is absurdly good.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Aw man. Banner 1 looks pretty great, although even though I know switching Vivi BSB for Refia's improves the Banner I'll miss the kid. Only dupes are Shout and Thyrus so there should be a decent chance of pulling something nice - all of the BSBs are great.

The Vaan OSB Banner isn't bad either even if the OSB isn't that amazing. Going to have to think about whether to pull there or save.

Shame Tidus doesn't keep his OSB/BSB Banner, and OK getting stuck on a sorta bad Banner.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They actually took off the two items i had on banner 5. Unfortunately they also made it less of a holy banner it seems. Noel's might as well be a dupe, I'll pretty much never use it outside XIII since I have Faris' BSB and she's cooler.

No dupes on banner 4, 1 or 2 dupes on the other 3 banners. Not sure where to pull. Probably 1 and 5, I suppose.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 20, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Geocities Homepage King posted:

He's definitely worth working on/dumping eggs into. He's terribad up until 93 but once he hits 93 his stats go up to stupidly high numbers. And his BSB is absurdly good.

My highest level character right now is like 22, I started playing two days ago. Thank you, though!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Definitely pulling on banner 1 and probably on banner 3... but why did the Onion Gauntlets banner have to have a bunch of trash on it?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

My eyes are on Banner 2, actually, since I already have Platinum Sword. There's Hamelin and White Mage Robe, two relics I half-chased but never got. Agrias' Excalibur may or may not be good, but I love Agrias and she could stand to be stronger. They even threw on Celes' runic SSB, which would be some great utility. And then there's Maria's burst, one of the best mage bursts in the game to date right? It seems pretty good to me. Only dupe is the Healing Staff.

I was really hoping the banner with Bartz's OSB would be good, but it really doesn't look good.

I'd also have liked to try for Onion Gauntlets, but there's nothing else on the banner I want, and I realized I really don't NEED Onion Gauntlets anyway. As mentioned, I do have Platinum Sword, so it would only be making the rich richer at that point.

Banner 1 seems to have some pretty good stuff on it, though. I'm close to 250 mythril, with plenty more coming in terms of bonuses, so I might be able to afford spending one pull each on Banner 1 and Banner 2. Sound good? Sounds good. We'll be waiting for the 26th to start that nonsense.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Alxprit posted:

My eyes are on Banner 2, actually, since I already have Platinum Sword. There's Hamelin and White Mage Robe, two relics I half-chased but never got. Agrias' Excalibur may or may not be good, but I love Agrias and she could stand to be stronger. They even threw on Celes' runic SSB, which would be some great utility. And then there's Maria's burst, one of the best mage bursts in the game to date right? It seems pretty good to me. Only dupe is the Healing Staff.

I was really hoping the banner with Bartz's OSB would be good, but it really doesn't look good.

I'd also have liked to try for Onion Gauntlets, but there's nothing else on the banner I want, and I realized I really don't NEED Onion Gauntlets anyway. As mentioned, I do have Platinum Sword, so it would only be making the rich richer at that point.

Banner 1 seems to have some pretty good stuff on it, though. I'm close to 250 mythril, with plenty more coming in terms of bonuses, so I might be able to afford spending one pull each on Banner 1 and Banner 2. Sound good? Sounds good. We'll be waiting for the 26th to start that nonsense.

Actually the banner with Hamelin and Excalibur T is banner 3, the live reddit update thread got them mixed up. I definitely want to pull on that set too, and the nice thing is that will still still be going when XIV opens, so I can make pulls there and decide how much I want to spend on the festival based on how much I have left over. After chasing Blood Sword/Tiara/Platinum Sword on banner 1, of course.

The real puzzle for me now is whether to pull on the Celerity Nightmare banner before it goes away. I definitely won't be pulling on the festival banner with Apocalypse X because I have 2 dupes on it already, and Razzmatazz/Orichalcum Dirk/Koga Blade aren't on the festival banners at all...

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

I had to fight the urge of not destroying my Mythril Budget with the 1st OSB Banner until DeNA went Santa Claus on the Login Bonuses...

With Dorgann's Event, Christmas Login and (Materials + Summon/Ice/Earth + White/Fire/Dark) Orbfest Mythril I'll have enough to pull on both OBS 1 and XIV 1.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

each of the banners which has one or two things i want also contain 2-3 duplicates i do not like this. please change them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Probably shouldn't have but I pulled on the buff lucky draw. Dupe Punisher (IX), Judicer's Staff (XII), and Lulu's Hairpin. Didn't have a medica or boostga for XII and I hear Lulu's faithga stacks with everything? Seems alright.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I played multiplayer

... It was fungahhhh :haw:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Geocities Homepage King posted:

The problem any new player is going to have is getting onion motes to fill out his ability set. You can't get any from cid missions for leveling up OK any more, and as far as I know the only way to farm the motes currently is by repeatedly killing Mote Dungeon Ahriman which is no small feat for someone without much FF3 synergy. The motes will come back to be farmed in the enigma dungeons that reappear in the next FF3 event, I think, but that will be some time off.

Unless you are already clearing or near to clearing entire events, I'm not sure it would be worth it to invest in onion knight at this moment even if you have his gauntlets.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

victrix posted:

I played multiplayer

... It was fungahhhh :haw:

U+ is fine, Apocalypse is something else especially when he starts spamming Zanketsuken.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Well it's not like I expected this to go any differently but the Buff Lucky Draw did not solve my problem, it gave me dupe Thunder Gloves and Excalibur V (which I can make into an 8* now so that's something I suppose) and the only non-dupe I got is Bistro Fork, technically useful but :jerkbag:. The anniversary is in March, right? Surely I can go without Onion Gauntlets for three-ish months so I don't have to pull on that bum of a banner, right?... aw who am I kiddin'.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

pichupal posted:

Aw man. Banner 1 looks pretty great, although even though I know switching Vivi BSB for Refia's improves the Banner I'll miss the kid. Only dupes are Shout and Thyrus so there should be a decent chance of pulling something nice - all of the BSBs are great.

The Vaan OSB Banner isn't bad either even if the OSB isn't that amazing. Going to have to think about whether to pull there or save.

Shame Tidus doesn't keep his OSB/BSB Banner, and OK getting stuck on a sorta bad Banner.

Vaan OSB seems ok, it gets stronger with every stat you debuff. Full break debuffs 4 stats at once so it's really easy to hit the cap.

No element though so you can't do boost stuff

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Vaan OSB seems ok, it gets stronger with every stat you debuff. Full break debuffs 4 stats at once so it's really easy to hit the cap.

No element though so you can't do boost stuff

Vaan's OSB isn't bad, it's just very obviously worse than his BSB. Kinda hard to top Ark Blast, admittedly.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Notes to myself, mostly:

Banner 1:
- OSB yeah of course
- Shura Gloves eh, I have Balthier's BSB so maybe a fire team.
- Vanille, I have Eiko's awesome BSB so I don't think I'd use this one,
- Kain's lance I want, I don't have good IV synergy
- Platinum's a dupe
- Tiara is only good if I get the OSB
- Healing Staff's a dupe
- Tin Armor's on a bad character
- I have Wall on Tyro so Thyrus is not ideal as I wouldn't drop Eiko for it.
Status - maybe.

Banner 2:
- OSB is bad, I guess? Is it gimped when you don't have breaks on an enemy and normal if you do?
- Maria bow, I don't really do mage meta often so it's not a chase for me
- Agrias BSB - I have Beatrix which is almost identical from what I can find
- Eiko's Hamelin is a dupe (but it's kickin' rad so I recommend it heavily to anyone)
- Eiko's is too good, I can't imagine switching for Arc's even though I have the staff for him too
- Healing Staff - Same as Arc's except I have Firion's BSB on my A-Team so I already have a Magic Blink so this is less appealing.
- Ogre Killer - meh
- Celes Excalibur - yeah that's good, I'd like that.
- Bartz Cloak - I don't have a lot of Wind stuff for him or others so this isn't appealing.
Status - no, too many duds.

Banner 3:
- OSB - There's no Razmatazz anywhere on these banners, I was hoping to chase both that and this. I do want this though.
- Gungir - Would like this too.
- Quistis - Yeah that'd be nice too
- Wakka's - Not super amazing and I don't know who I'd cut from my team for this.
- Rosa's Divine Heal - Same as Healing Staff on Banner 2 - already covered.
- Braska's - I don't really do mage meta but if I did this isn't a bad summoner/WHM SSB to have.
- Porom's Medica+Hastega - Meh, I have Eiko's version of that.
- Freya's Trident - Goes good with Gungir's if I get it, otherwise it's ok.
- SG - Dupe
Status - probably will pull

Banner 4:
- Butz OSB - I have his BSB so yeah this would be good.
- Tyro OSB - I have his SG so this would probably not be good.
- Edge - I can't find what the commands do but I don't have any water synergy for this so it's good but not great.
- Hope BSB - Yeah this would be pretty nice but not chase
- Yuna - same Eiko problem
- Penelo - same Eiko problem plus I have Aerith's BSB so if I wanted damage+healing I'd use that
- Magician Mog - would be good for Ifrit, which I haven't done, but that's about it.
- Paine - A lot of EnWaters around but I don't have an Imperil so it's not as appealing.
- Cloud Guise - meh
Status - probably not

Banner 5:
- Hope OSB - I have Holy imperil so this would be nice
- WoL BSB - same as above
- Onion gauntlets - yes please
- Cid Raines BSB - yes please - edit: that's Noel's BSB, not Cid - now it's meh
- Bom Core - dupe
- Physician's Staff - dupe
- Gordan Gungir - meh Gordon sucks
- Garland SSB - meh
- Gabranth - ok for memento mori/dark zone shenanigans
Status - maybe edit: less maybe

I have 200 now, and looks like we'll be getting 50 more, but with all the other great banners around this time I probably won't spend more than 100-150 on this set.

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 20, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I got a few of the goodies on Banner 1: Mistilteinn, Abel's Lance and Platinum Sword. Might hold off on that one even though the game likes giving me Terra's stuff.

Banner 2-5 are worth the risk to me.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Difficulty 200 Greg report: AOE instant death is a bitch, even with death res. Thankfully we pulled it out, but there were a lot of curaises used.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think I've seen a discord channel mentioned in the past, can someone post it in here so I can figure out how to use this thing to get through the boring days at work.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I just had an Apocalypse Gilgamesh battle kill Gilgamesh and get Enkidu down to 25%.... just to have a member disconnect and force the battle to end. Ugh.

flowinprose posted:

The problem any new player is going to have is getting onion motes to fill out his ability set. You can't get any from cid missions for leveling up OK any more, and as far as I know the only way to farm the motes currently is by repeatedly killing Mote Dungeon Ahriman which is no small feat for someone without much FF3 synergy. The motes will come back to be farmed in the enigma dungeons that reappear in the next FF3 event, I think, but that will be some time off.

Unless you are already clearing or near to clearing entire events, I'm not sure it would be worth it to invest in onion knight at this moment even if you have his gauntlets.

I totally forgot about Onion Motes. You're right.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

IcePhoenix posted:

I think I've seen a discord channel mentioned in the past, can someone post it in here so I can figure out how to use this thing to get through the boring days at work.

https://discord.gg/bceY8

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I was gonna pull on whatever banner had Ashe's burst so thanks dena :argh:

None of the banners really appeal to me, each one seems to be made up of a one or two things I'd like, dupes, stuff that will be on banners I'm planning to pull on, or stuff that's not worth pulling for. Those are not good odds, especially with Minfilia 1 and other realm banners coming up.

I guess the fest is a pass for me beyond dollar pulls :sigh: #FirstWorldProblems #99RelicsAndAshesAintOne

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bilperkins2 posted:

Banner 5:

- Cid Raines BSB - yes please

That is Noel, not Cid Raines

Also, thanks Grozz

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Where's Mog's SSB? :smithicide:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wait, no, I have Platinum Shield, I forgot. Still, stacks with Judicer's Staff, so not a problem

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
drat, I was doing really good on the Gilgamesh fight, was in a party with a Luneth with Swordshower, Fang with Megaflare, and Vaan with Ark Blast. Aside from me stupidly using Shout right after the other Ramza, we would've had it, but the connection got lost right at the end.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Freed up friend list space so if any of you need a Vanille BSB for some of the nightmares my friend ID is e4Le.

I should beat these nightmares someday.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Pulled the half pull support banner, got armor relics for Leon and Braska, they any good?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Adel posted:

I was gonna pull on whatever banner had Ashe's burst so thanks dena :argh:

None of the banners really appeal to me, each one seems to be made up of a one or two things I'd like, dupes, stuff that will be on banners I'm planning to pull on, or stuff that's not worth pulling for. Those are not good odds, especially with Minfilia 1 and other realm banners coming up.

Yeah, almost every banner has like 2 things I'd be happy to get, a few redundant things, and a few things i either don't need or for characters I probably wouldn't use outside of CMs even if I got them. Was really hoping for a banner with lots of physical synergy for 4 or 9, which are my two weakest major realms, or a shot at Balthier's good stuff (because he's my favorite character).

I may also be saving for the moment.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

aaaaaa gently caress lots of bonus mythril tempting me to roll on the lucky draw

don't you loving do it god dammit!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The man called M posted:

Pulled the half pull support banner, got armor relics for Leon and Braska, they any good?

Be more specific? If the armor for Leon is the Golden Armor with the Hand of the Emperor SB, then yeah, that's good. One of the few old Unique SB's which is still worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

bilperkins2 posted:

- Cid Raines BSB - yes please - edit: that's Noel's BSB, not Cid - now it's meh

I was just about to point this out, but you caught it already I see.

I had to do a double-take myself after you said that, cause I was suddenly a lot more interested in that banner if it was Cid Raines.

• Locked thread