Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Wonderslug posted:

months later in CS2 everyone was acting like they were only just finishing up the school year.

Because CS1 ends at Halloween and CS2 starts at Thanksgiving and ends in January.

So, if the festival is towards the end of the school year and the civil war interrupted that, they would still be finishing up the year when they get back to Thors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
That "order" thing looks new - if you look at the battle shot, at the top right there's an Order heading, with "valiant hearts" beneath. It increases speed but reduces damage given twice; I wonder if this is the start of more messing around with the timeline, which was always my favourite part of the Kiseki battle system as surely if they wanted to show double effect damage reduction they'd just use two down arrows, right?

edit: Disappointed about the lack of Vita version. I double dipped on CS1 and 2 so I could play it on the go and didn't feel bad because the games themselves lasted a long time; I wonder how that will affect sales overall.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 20, 2016

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

OddObserver posted:

Hmm, what made you decide that? The closest to definite is the patch on the light-blue-hairs shoulder, but can't really tell if it's the Horned Lion from this angle or not.
Edit: OK, I can tell now I am not looking on a cell phone, it sure looks similar to it...

It's definitely a Thors crest. Someone apparantly posted this picture that shows it off in more detail, also confirming that yes, the girl with the hat is Altina (the picture shows her riding Claiohm Solais) and the silhouette girl teased in the tweet was the tonfa-wielding pink-hair.

The new characters' uniforms have the Thors crest, yet the color scheme looks very similar to the RMP uniforms from the first Cold Steel games, suggesting that maybe Osborne tightened his grip around the academy and its students are now being trained to be his direct subordinates instead of heading out to the Provincial army and Imperial army.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe it's just a new combined uniform now that the Class VII experiment was a success and the school doesn't segregate nobility and commoners anymore? Or another "experimental" class uniform.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If Osborne took over, it's quite probable he sped up desegregation, although if Class VII was a success and is now the standard, I'd assume they would have standardized the telltale red uniform instead of picking a uniform that's reminiscent of the Ironblood colors. (suggesting strong trending towards one of the factions)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Supremezero posted:

There's only 2 years at Thors, so with it being in 1206 Rean wouldn't be a student anymore. Teacher protag gooooo!

I feel like they'd have an easier time with that just by having it on PC :v:

(Yes, I know, that'd murder JP sales)

It's a lot easier to port from PS4 to PC than PS3 to PC so I wouldn't be surprised if that option is on the table for whenever XSEED decides to do a western release.

Kind of interesting that this seems to be the third Crossbell game as well as the third Erebonia game. I'm kind of hoping for some of the cast of Zero and Azure to end up being playable alongside the ex-remains of Class VII.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's a lot easier to port from PS4 to PC than PS3 to PC so I wouldn't be surprised if that option is on the table for whenever XSEED decides to do a western release.

Kind of interesting that this seems to be the third Crossbell game as well as the third Erebonia game. I'm kind of hoping for some of the cast of Zero and Azure to end up being playable alongside the ex-remains of Class VII.

The engine used by Cold Steel 1 and 2 already supported Windows. (it's Sony's PhyreEngine) If Falcom had the domestic market for a PC release or XSeed had the staff for a PC port, we'd already be playing the games on PC by now. (probably with additional audio for all of Rean's missing voiced lines) Those issues, rather than the platform, were always what was holding a PC release back.

The best hopes for PC fans of the series right now is hoping Aksys finishes its Tokyo Xanadu port (which uses the same engine) and determines porting PhyreEngine games isn't too troublesome, opening the door for XSeed to partner with them for a PC port. I don't see Falcom going the extra mile for PC owners right now despite their statement that they want their games to sell overseas too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Erpy posted:

The engine used by Cold Steel 1 and 2 already supported Windows. (it's Sony's PhyreEngine) If Falcom had the domestic market for a PC release or XSeed had the staff for a PC port, we'd already be playing the games on PC by now. (probably with additional audio for all of Rean's missing voiced lines) Those issues, rather than the platform, were always what was holding a PC release back.

The best hopes for PC fans of the series right now is hoping Aksys finishes its Tokyo Xanadu port (which uses the same engine) and determines porting PhyreEngine games isn't too troublesome, opening the door for XSeed to partner with them for a PC port. I don't see Falcom going the extra mile for PC owners right now despite their statement that they want their games to sell overseas too.

Well, it isn't a huge loss if the Cold Steel doesn't release on PC and I've got a PS4 to play it on anyway. It'd just be kind of nice to have every single game on one platform instead of having to jump between three different platforms.

I do think it's pretty odd that Falcom want Cold Steel 3 to be on a platform that would appeal more to the west though when the game seems to be entirely set in the region of and deals with the ramifications of the events of two games that have yet to be localized and may never be localized though. If Falcom are serious about developing a market overseas, they'll need to throw western gamers a bone in some capacity even if that is just making a PC port of Azure for XSEED to use as a base.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, it isn't a huge loss if the Cold Steel doesn't release on PC and I've got a PS4 to play it on anyway. It'd just be kind of nice to have every single game on one platform instead of having to jump between three different platforms.

I do think it's pretty odd that Falcom want Cold Steel 3 to be on a platform that would appeal more to the west though when the game seems to be entirely set in the region of and deals with the ramifications of the events of two games that have yet to be localized and may never be localized though. If Falcom are serious about developing a market overseas, they'll need to throw western gamers a bone in some capacity even if that is just making a PC port of Azure for XSEED to use as a base.

Personally, I'm hoping for a PC port of the Steel games for exactly this reason. It's hard to recommend a series with a strong meta-plot to people when it requires them to have a whole slew of consoles, some of which are dying off. The Japanese get around this problem by simply having new Evo-versions be produced whenever an arc threatens to sink together with its platform, but since we won't be getting those Evos, having future proof PC versions is really the next best thing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
According to this post, Gu4en, OmgFloofy and Yotaka (the three Kiseki guru's who are usually active on XSeed's forums) pulled a Giliath Osborne on Zero Monkey's Zero no Kiseki fan translation project and annexed the hell out of it.

One the one hand, I feel excited about that news. They may not be XSeed's editing staff, but they're probably the next best thing and the internet's three living Kiseki bibles taking the reins will guarantee that said translation project will be closely tied to the Kiseki lexicon we've come to know over the last few years. Given the fact that the project founder voiced a significant lack of concern about the terminology and seemed unfamiliar with the finer lore details of the franchise, this will probably improve the project's quality massively.

At the same time, I'm having some very mixed feelings about it, because I feel Zero deserves better than a fan translation distributed through the internet, however high-quality, which will probably result in an official Zero becoming less financially feasable than ever. (it's easy to recommend a game to people by given them a link to a Steam/GOG page, not so much linking them to some Japanese store page that requires a walkthrough to just navigate) I doubt the timing was a coincidence. Most likely, the three of them decided to wait and see if Falcom was gonna throw the western audience any crossbell-bones and went ahead with announcing their participation in the fan translation after concluding Crossbell's chances of localization were slimmer than ever.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 20, 2016

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
And a bit more info on ToCS3:

https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/811182191107600385

Makes me wonder how the heck they're going to manage the cast size, especially given the whole dating aspect of I and II.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Makes me wonder how the heck they're going to manage the cast size, especially given the whole dating aspect of I and II.
That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

*every playable character from every game come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I am very excited to play Trails of Cold Steel 3, exclusively on my Playstation 4 system.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
CS3 looks rad as hell. Hopefully the move to PS4 also helps remove some of the technical/graphical jank that seemed persistent in CS1/CS2.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rip in peace my dead gay handheld

So what are the odds of PS4 games on PSNow any time soon?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zero while they still want people to buy PS4s.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I guess English CS3 would be a few years off anyway.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

So who do I have to thank for finally bringing back button-based selections that went seemingly extinct after Mario RPG? Persona 5?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh poo poo I just realized I actually have a PS4

I can finally play CS1 and 2 thanks to the power of PSNow.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

OddObserver posted:

And a bit more info on ToCS3:

https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/811182191107600385

I imagine not everyone from Class VII will return, at least not in a playable role. Having said that I expected Cold Steel 3 to combine some of the casts of Zero/Azure with some from Cold Steel. Didn't expect returning Sky characters to be playable.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

so according to falcom's president, cold steel 3 is ps4 exclusive "to ensure that the game will sell internationally, rather than just domestically".

has the ps4 done well in the rest of asia, or is this basically confirming a western release

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Simultaneous release date baby

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

so according to falcom's president, cold steel 3 is ps4 exclusive "to ensure that the game will sell internationally, rather than just domestically".

has the ps4 done well in the rest of asia, or is this basically confirming a western release

I think it's done reasonably well everywhere but it's pretty much confirming a western release even so. I didn't really think there was any chance of it not getting one though.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Erpy posted:

It's definitely a Thors crest. Someone apparantly posted this picture that shows it off in more detail, also confirming that yes, the girl with the hat is Altina (the picture shows her riding Claiohm Solais) and the silhouette girl teased in the tweet was the tonfa-wielding pink-hair.

The new characters' uniforms have the Thors crest, yet the color scheme looks very similar to the RMP uniforms from the first Cold Steel games, suggesting that maybe Osborne tightened his grip around the academy and its students are now being trained to be his direct subordinates instead of heading out to the Provincial army and Imperial army.

Just about my main reaction to this, I'm kind of worried about what this means for Olivier.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

If Gu4n Floofy and Yotaka are working on the Zero script I can definitely see them pulling an Ys and selling the finished thing to Xseed to speed up their putting Zero out. They all love XSeed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zaggitz posted:

3 games have been touted to me as the best games Falcom have ever made and none of them are available in english. :(

(Zwei 2, Ao no Kiseki and Ys 8)
Man, Zwei 2. I remember that game and its "imminent translation". Maaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im still optimistic for an official release but man im hype that the fan tl for zero will actually be pretty decent now

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
There's basically 40 hours of payoff from Zero in Ao, it's pretty crazy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Making it easier, thanks

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I think it's done reasonably well everywhere but it's pretty much confirming a western release even so. I didn't really think there was any chance of it not getting one though.

Maybe it means we might not get the western release years after the initial one, and instead only a few months after? If they actually are planning on focusing towards western markets, that would seem the next step. Not sure how that would gel with XSEED's relatively small staff though. Especially since one reason they're moving off Vita entirely is apparently due to space issues, which means the game might be even longer the the previous two.

On the screenshots, if we're getting even more significant playable characters, that'll be... interesting. 2 got around its huge playable cast by limiting how many you could take at a time, with the rest staying behind, but there's a point where the roster just grows so large that even that gets silly. Or you have one so large you're Suikoden. Best guess is more alternate viewpoint splits during the game with multiple different parties of separate individuals. Or making some previously playable characters unplayable, but doing that with Class VII at least gets iffy. At some point you'd expect them to all get back together, though likely not until a while in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Very few companies can pull off simultaneous, or close to, releases of a wordy RPG, I think only Square has even attempted it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i imagine the hangers-on like towa/elise/claire/toval/etc. probably wont all be playable, and otherwise they're only adding like 4 new party members it seems (and one of them is already an established character). sky 3rd had a 16 person party so it's not like they're too afraid of big parties

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TOWA OR RIOT

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

Man, Zwei 2. I remember that game and its "imminent translation". Maaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Trails in the Sky 3rd has a ridiculously large cast of playable characters. Though I think everyone from Class VII plus Sara, Toval, Sharon, Claire and Towa plus the new characters plus characters from Trails in the Sky might be pushing it a bit for Cold Steel 3.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Very few companies can pull off simultaneous, or close to, releases of a wordy RPG, I think only Square has even attempted it.

To be fair, I did say months, as opposed to the years it has been previously. I'm more thinking like Persona 5 coming to NA roughly 6-7 months after the JP release, rather than some near simultaneous one. Generally if you state you want to start focusing on the western market, you don't want to have a multi-year long gap between the initial release and it finally making its way over. I'm just wondering if it's possible since at least one reason releases have taken a while is simply because XSEED does not have that large a team, and translation takes time.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The thing there is falcom is very serious about story leaks/spoilers and adding 6--or however many languages they'd target in simultaneous--other small teams of people to the list of secret-keepers would take a ton of trust. I don't think we'll see simultaneous.

As for shortening the gap, I'd say don't count on it. 1 year is to be expected and anything sooner would be nice, but not likely. We don't know who will be localising the game but a small staff doesn't really affect quality localisation efforts given it's kind of a "too many cooks" sort of endeavor, where you need to add a ton of overhead to get the same quality with more people.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My biggest issue with the PS4 release isnt the lack of portability, but the fact that the PS4's screenshot function isnt even half as good as the Vita's. I took just short of 9000 screenshots between CS1&2, I could drat near LP it if I'd took any of gameplay..

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Zaggitz posted:

If Gu4n Floofy and Yotaka are working on the Zero script I can definitely see them pulling an Ys and selling the finished thing to Xseed to speed up their putting Zero out. They all love XSeed.

I'm...not so sure about that. Yeah, the three of them are big XSeed fans and would probably jump at the opportunity to speed up an official Zero release, but the project consists of more than just their efforts. They're not the translators, just the final editors. Pulling an Ys would require all the people who put in any translating work over the years to sign an agreement turning their work over to Falcom/XSeed and if they're no longer around, they'll have to be tracked down. If any of them either can't be tracked down or won't cooperate, their contributions have to be removed. If people haven't been meticulously keeping track of what they worked on, that'll be a problem. With Ys, I believe the whole thing was the work of just one translator, so once he came on board, the whole thing was sorted. With a team, specifically a semi-open-source effort, that kind of thing is a gigantic clusterfuck. (this is coming from someone who worked on fan remakes of classic games and who later went through similar hoops in order to get the games official permission from the copyright holder)

That's not even getting in on the fact that the translation's now-vanished project lead once went on a public (and now memetic) rant about how he wouldn't turn over his work unless they paid him and his whole team 250000 per person. If I recall correctly, the guy himself doesn't speak Japanese, so XSeed wouldn't need what he brought to the table, but the same was true with Nightwolve back then and that didn't stop Nightwolve and his following (among whom said project lead can be counted) from crying theft. I could see XSeed deciding in advance that getting involved in the same kind of shitstorm twice is too big a bother, even for a title as awesome as Zero.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/endlesshistory/status/811338651032547328