Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mekilljoydammit posted:

Weird thing is that those VW jacks are kind of the standard old school rally car jack.

ah yes, rally driving, that bastion of levelheaded safety and careful methodical work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A friction jack seems perfectly reasonable in a world where the gas tank goes directly under the driver and navigator.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Friction jacks also came from an era where steering columns would go straight through your face in a wreck.

I don't know how humanity made it into the 1980's because it feels like everyone should have been dead well before that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It didn't matter where the steering column went because all the passengers would be safely thrown clear of the car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cojawfee posted:

It didn't matter where the steering column went because all the passengers would be safely thrown clear of the car.

Well, yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8&t=95s

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cojawfee posted:

A friction jack seems perfectly reasonable in a world where the gas tank goes directly under the driver and navigator.

That's not really a bad place for the gas tank to go, the Honda Fit has it in the same place. It's better than having it somewhere closer to the edge where an impact will cause it to explode.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Throatwarbler posted:

That's not really a bad place for the gas tank to go, the Honda Fit has it in the same place. It's better than having it somewhere closer to the edge where an impact will cause it to explode.

The gas tank should absorb impact, it's wasted space otherwise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOxWPGsJNY

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

I clenched so hard when I saw the convertible with 3 occupants start to veer as wildly as most of the vehicles that flipped.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

You don't normally drive a honda fit at 90mph through the woods.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Cojawfee posted:

You don't know my story

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

Why? Will they crack a ton?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you don't.

OK I don't either because I have neither a Honda Fit or convenient woods to drive through.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I think it's in the documentary Madness on Wheels. Someone tells a story where after a crash, he's upside down in his Lancia 037 and there's fuel dripping down on him and his navigator.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's in the documentary Madness on Wheels. Someone tells a story where after a crash, he's upside down in his Lancia 037 and there's fuel dripping down on him and his navigator.
At some point, one of the :britain: contingent should really post a photo of what's eligible for a 60mph limit here. I have Michelin XZLs on the Landie, and I'll still need a shovel.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 19, 2016

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

InitialDave posted:

First gen Honda Fits have a 115mph electronic speed limiter. :ninja:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm kinda surprised a 1st gen Fit can hit 115.

Saturn Ions (non-Redline) are limited at 108.

.... it takes a very long time (counted in minutes) to find the limiter if you have the 2.2 w/manual like I do. I kinda doubt you'd ever find it if it was an automatic unless you were on a steep downhill road. The Redline (2.0 supercharged) and 2.4 would have no problem whatsoever finding it, but the 2.2 is pretty gutless.

When you do find it, it's just like hitting the rev limiter, and feels like the engine is getting ripped out of its mounts - it's violent. I'm pretty sure if I'm ever feeling that stupid again, you'll find a long trail of shattered transaxle and CV joint components behind my car. Or maybe the entire front subframe, with engine.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 19, 2016

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Saw this on FB. I think it qualifies as a horrible mechanical failure. I have no loving clue how you would do this

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Fuckit, lets have a double post

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

Saw this on FB. I think it qualifies as a horrible mechanical failure. I have no loving clue how you would do this

What am I looking at?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Friar Zucchini posted:

What am I looking at?

The smooth bogey wheel right below the 'eight' in eighton is supposed to be on the ground.

The track pattern is supposed to be a rounded off triangle, not a rhombus trapezoid.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 19, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Captain Postal posted:

Fuckit, lets have a double post

Man, stance culture is everywhere.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Captain Postal posted:

Driver drops it off something multiple times (over its life, not a shift. Maybe a shift). Front axle and support structure fail spectacularly. Driver, unaware of failure (or aware of failure but with no other options) reverses wounded bulldozer, management calls boilermakers and asks if they can have it ready to go in 4 hours.

Edit: Come to think of it, I vaguely recall a story of a similar failure* as a result of "Just unloading normally" from a trailer.

*: as it was described to me, no pictures. At the time, I thought they meant bent.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm kinda surprised a 1st gen Fit can hit 115.

Now that I think about it, it might have been lower. For some reason 115 sticks in my mind. In any case, it was stupid to hit it, and I only did with a long downhill on the interstate.

I tried to look up what the limiter was and found this gem:
http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/ways-remove-speed-limiter-908931/

:lol: wanting to pass on the autobahn at 115 in a Civic LX :lol:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cojawfee posted:

Good song, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tizwFMo85Ms

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

What am I looking at?

For reference, it should look like this. Note the front wheel and first bogie

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

For reference, it should look like this. Note the front wheel and first bogie

:stare:

Thanks for the reference. I'd've had no idea.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fifty Three posted:

:stare:

Thanks for the reference. I'd've had no idea.

Your avatar is making roughly the same face I'm making now looking at that photo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bajaha posted:

Can't say I wouldn't do the same just for shits and giggles.

http://i.imgur.com/HPzvma8.mp4

P.S. how do you embed the new style gifs? apparently does it automatically

http://i.imgur.com/dyWfFAM.mp4

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The front fell off.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bullahit thats axel from twisted metal

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Looks like a clutch-job to me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It would be interesting to try balancing that single axle, segway-ish dumper truck front end with brake and throttle.

e: assuming the front wheels are driven of course. If not, it would perhaps be less interesting but more challenging.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 20, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Powershift posted:

The front fell off.

The insurance company just finds another truck with the same frame break and welds the best front to the best rear and sells it back.

this is a joke, please dont murder me

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The insurance company just finds another truck with the same frame break and welds the best front to the best rear and sells it back.

this is a joke, please dont murder me

Looks like someone already did just that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
To bring things back to jacks for a moment, this is the rear jack point for an early 2000-2006 Ford Escape:

Yes, it's directly behind the rear wheel and your only way to access it is to climb under the car. Due to the ride height, Ford decided against using jack points on the body of the vehicle and instead decided to put them on the rear trailing arms as close to the wheel as they could.

Because that's not loving stupid at all.

The supplied jack has a short handle which does not reach out from under the car.

This leaves the only options to reach it either putting your hands under the car from the side, or to lie down behind the car and reach under from there.

Naturally I replaced mine immediately with a bottle jack and length of steel pipe to make sure I am never in the position where I might be tempted to reach under a vehicle while it's on a jack.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes, it's directly behind the rear wheel and your only way to access it is to climb under the car. Due to the ride height, Ford decided against using jack points on the body of the vehicle and instead decided to put them on the rear trailing arms as close to the wheel as they could.

What about the front?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Same spot, but you can turn the wheel to make it easier to get at.

Also, to change the front indicators, you need to turn the wheel as far over as it can go, jack up the front of the car, remove the wheel, peel open the inner lining of the wheel well and find someone with incredibly long and thin arms to reach all the way to the front of the car and be able to open the housing and remove the globes completely blind.

Ford did not take much time in making the Escape easy to repair or service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always giggle when I'm following an Escape without 4wd, because there's this huge gaping hole in the rear suspension where the diff would go.