Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

HatJudge posted:

For some loving awesome hardcore punk about depression, drugs and the general horrors of being alive you all should check out The War Goes On from Copenhagen. It's my personal album of the year and thanks to my own tumultuous past some of the lyrics hit me like a concrete tsunami.
There was a demo going around a couple of years ago that's worth digging up as well.

https://thewargoeson.bandcamp.com

late response but this owns super hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

hey

hey punk thread

have a live jam night

https://soundcloud.com/devils-advocate-hermosa/sets/devils-advocate-live-at-jmt-studio-dash

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 30, 2016

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

terrified of my bathroom posted:

late response but this owns super hard

I also forgot to respond to say how good this album was.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
holy poo poo pkew pkew pkew is opening for pup on the 16th im so excited for this show you guys

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Before The War Goes On, some - if not most - of the guys used to be in No Hope For The Kids. Their album is equally awesome.
"Rainy Day" is easily one of my all time favorite punk songs.

https://hjernespind.bandcamp.com/album/no-hope-for-the-kids

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
What are the good punk albums from this year? I dug Pears, White Lung, and Murderburgers. Thought Pup was alright. Haven't listened to Rosenstock yet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

What are the good punk albums from this year? I dug Pears, White Lung, and Murderburgers. Thought Pup was alright. Haven't listened to Rosenstock yet.

My top albums:
The Cross and the Switchblade by Wolves&Wolves&Wolves&Wolves
What A Time To Be Barely Alive by Arms Aloft
Developing a Theory of Integrity by MakeWar

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

I listed a few favorite EPs and full lengths when someone asked a couple pages back, but I just want to add that I'm finishing the year strong with The Cowboys LP from January and the recent DD Owen self-titled release. The Lysol LP rips too. A lot of the higher marquee punk stuff that gets name checked here just hasn't been doing it for me, unfortunately.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

I really like Worry, feels like Jeff's continuing to grow as a songwriter

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Schremp Howard posted:

Stöj Snak - Screamersongwriter
Clearer The Sky - Held In Merciful Light
The Murderburgers - The 12 Habits Of Highly Defective People
are up there for me.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Murderburgers and White Lung have both been way up in my rotation. Pup was great too, and I liked some tracks off the Direct Hit! but it didn't stick too much. Touche and The Hotelier both have a lot of tracks that made it onto my best of 2016 too but that starts to cross into a different sound, I guess.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
oathbreaker good, dangers good

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Pup. Pears. Falcon.

The new Dopamines album ain't out yet but it's killer.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Arms Aloft is my favourite though PEARS comes second with the caveat of being a more important record. The Falcon was great, Chris Wollard and the Ship Thieves was great. Makewar was an amazing album by some cool guys I'm glad to call friends and have had sleep on my floor.

Murderburgers and White Lung get honourable mentions as do the new NOFX and Bouncing Souls records.

EPs I have to mention toyGuitar and Dead to Me showing that Jack Dalrymple is the most talented songwriter in punk today overall I think one of these is the years best release. A shout out also has to be given to the Brokedowns/ Direct Hit split which was good.

Red Scare Industries are label of the year by a mile everything they've put out is gold.

Edit: Forgot Pup gently caress great year not quite as good as last due to the insanity of Night Birds, RCR and Downtown Boys.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 6, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

Red Scare Industries are label of the year by a mile everything they've put out is gold.

This is a very true statement.

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006
old gray's new album is streaming: http://www.stereogum.com/1914419/stream-old-gray-slow-burn/music/album-stream/

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
This isn't especially Punk Rock compared to some of what's been posted, but I really liked Modern Baseball's Holy Ghost this year.

Pup, The Falcon, and Wolves&Wolves&Wolves&Wolves already came up, but they ruled.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Black Flag- Damaged is 35 years old today.

I was listening to it for the first time in a while and man, it is just plain unhinged in parts. I'm sure people can point out some other examples, but young Henry Rollins is in a class of his own for being a raving lunatic.

If I love Pup and Pkew Pkew Pkew are there any other newer bands I should check out?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

comingafteryouall posted:

Black Flag- Damaged is 35 years old today.

I was listening to it for the first time in a while and man, it is just plain unhinged in parts. I'm sure people can point out some other examples, but young Henry Rollins is in a class of his own for being a raving lunatic.

If I love Pup and Pkew Pkew Pkew are there any other newer bands I should check out?

On My War he sounds even nuttier. I don't really like that album, though.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I never heard Pkew * 3 before, it's really good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rozwell Kid maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_1JpybEMcU

Not the exact same vein, but they all toured together which has to count for something, right?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

When Pigs Cry posted:

This isn't especially Punk Rock compared to some of what's been posted, but I really liked Modern Baseball's Holy Ghost this year.

Pup, The Falcon, and Wolves&Wolves&Wolves&Wolves already came up, but they ruled.

The Modern Baseball album is really good and I welcome it in this thread. On that note did anybody else find the new American Football record to be really disappointing.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Inspector_666 posted:

Rozwell Kid maybe?

Not the exact same vein, but they all toured together which has to count for something, right?

Haven't really listened to them before but I get strong vibes of 90's Australian punk from them based on this song. That's not a bad thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

StoneOfShame posted:

The Modern Baseball album is really good and I welcome it in this thread. On that note did anybody else find the new American Football record to be really disappointing.

It sounded like what I expected an American Football album to sound like in 2016 (basically a more noodly and electric Owen) and I thought that was just fine. People freaking out that they didn't put out another life-changing album or however they treat the first record are dumb.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

It sounded like what I expected an American Football album to sound like in 2016 (basically a more noodly and electric Owen) and I thought that was just fine. People freaking out that they didn't put out another life-changing album or however they treat the first record are dumb.

This is a fair assessment.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
thats a boring band

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Actually they're really good and

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
They were alright and then they got old and the only thing I remember about LP2 is that it was boring.

(Also they were on an episode of Song Exploder if anyone cares)

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Rozwell Kid maybe?

These guys are cool

I checked our PEARS, hadn't heard of them before people in this thread were talking about them. They're good.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

I checked our PEARS, hadn't heard of them before people in this thread were talking about them. They're good.

Even better live.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

They are probably the second best live punk band at the moment being edged by Night Birds and maybe Dillinger Four if sober. I saw Against Me! Last night and was blown away considering how spotty their album history is the put together a great set list and LJG can really command the stage these days, she always could but now she seems just genuinely happy and it was cool to see.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

StoneOfShame posted:

They are probably the second best live punk band at the moment being edged ...Dillinger Four if sober

Apples and oranges though, in my opinion. D4 will bring the snark, the banter which is great but Pears bring a raw intensity I haven't seen since Jesus Lizard (and when I asked Zach about that he was like, "Who?" and I felt old.)

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Ferrule posted:

Apples and oranges though, in my opinion. D4 will bring the snark, the banter which is great but Pears bring a raw intensity I haven't seen since Jesus Lizard (and when I asked Zach about that he was like, "Who?" and I felt old.)

Have you seen Night Birds b3cause if you like intensity I don't think anything matches.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yeah. I have. And I think Pears have the edge.

But really I'm just going off the D4 comment. Plus, those guys, like, never play and Pears play all the drat time.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

unsure if this is the right thread, but i've been revisiting surfer rosa a shitload this week and it's a great album. any other similar acts/albums/w/e from the time period yall can recommend?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Not sure this is the right thread but can't loving wait for the new Run the Jewels.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've been listening to my Bad Religion pandora station lately, and holy poo poo does Skinhead Rob suck in any transplants song.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
gross dude be better

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

You know I really wish the Dropkick Murphys would just call it a day because everything they release these days somehow seems to be more painful than their last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
they're bad