Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
AirPods line was stupid long. :( wanted to get one for my wife's stocking. Oh well, Jan 12th it is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Corben Goble-Garbus posted:

How do they perform through heavy coats and layers?

You should be fine, they have a very strong signal, though I haven't tested them through thick clothing specifically.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
AirPods are cool but man this case is small

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Consummate Professional posted:

AirPods are cool but man this case is small

Get a case for your case.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hey remember when everyone said the Airpods would fall out and dumbass companies actually invented and released idiotic straps to solve the "problem"

Then in reality it turned out that 1) it's really hard for the Airpods to fall out and 2) the straps actually cause the * exact * issue they were manufactured to prevent

That was funny.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I don't remember that but the AirPods look bad.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The update they did fixing the bluetooth issue was dramatic. I can leave my phone 7 in a gym locker and do my workout with my backbeat fit 2. Before going a few meters away from my phone would kill the signal. Looks like they fixed things in time for the airpods.

I don't recommend you do this if you go to a sketchy gym.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I heard the W1 chip in the Airpods gets locked to whichever Apple ID it gets synced to first so if you don't unpair them yourself, they are unusable if someone else finds them and tries to pair them. Pretty cool and will hopefully deter theft.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Biodome posted:

I heard the W1 chip in the Airpods gets locked to whichever Apple ID it gets synced to first so if you don't unpair them yourself, they are unusable if someone else finds them and tries to pair them. Pretty cool and will hopefully deter theft.

Nah, if someone's going to steal them, they will steal them, W1 trickery withstanding.

The real problem is store returns...when they re-sell them as open box, someone's going to be angry.

Or eBay/classifieds. Little Frankie is upset that they won't pair, Aunt Martha is confused, everyone's mad because the previous owner didn't unpair them.

But maybe thieves will have a conscience about them? We'll see.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Taima posted:

Then in reality it turned out that 1) it's really hard for the Airpods to fall out
Bold claim. I guess Apple wants me to get new ears instead, because the regular ear pods don't stay in my ears for poo poo, and the airpods look exactly the same shape.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I have seen the pods on many a head and they haven't fallen out yet. I'm sure they will fall out of someone's ears, at some point, though.

hotsauce posted:

Nah, if someone's going to steal them, they will steal them, W1 trickery withstanding.

The real problem is store returns...when they re-sell them as open box, someone's going to be angry.

Or eBay/classifieds. Little Frankie is upset that they won't pair, Aunt Martha is confused, everyone's mad because the previous owner didn't unpair them.

But maybe thieves will have a conscience about them? We'll see.

Actually any store worth its salt will test the product before it accepts the return, and it's something they already do with iphones and the Watch. This is nothing new and stores have procedures for this stuff.

As for ebay and classifieds, again, this is nothing new and has been part of the used Apple ecosystem for a while. As always the buyer should test their equipment with the item being bought. If they don't, that's largely their problem.

As for thieves having a conscience, luckily we have actual evidence on this point:

https://9to5mac.com/2015/02/11/iphone-thefts/

You don't need to read the article if you don't want, here's an easy takeaway:

"Activation Lock has reduced iPhone theft by 25% in NY, 40% in SF, 50% in London"

So the answer is: yes, this actually does reduce theft, because when something doesn't work after being stolen it's hard to resell.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 20, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
i can't wait for 3+ pages of edgecase ear holes :jerkbag:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've never liked the EarPods but I'll probably go try the AirPods out at a store since every single thing I've read from people who actually have them says they stay in just fine.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm definitely interested in trying them out, since people are saying they are above average quality sound-wise when compared to the included EarPods. Really hard sale for me, though. $160 is getting up there into what I'd budget towards over-ear home listening headphones, and I'm positive they won't even come close to being as good. I can accept that AirPods are way more convenient, though.

I also just finished school, which was essentially the only time I ever used my EarPods.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Taima posted:

I have seen the pods on many a head and they haven't fallen out yet. I'm sure they will fall out of someone's ears, at some point, though.

Gonna go out on a limb and bet that the vast majority of people who've bought AirPods to date aren't the ones who've had consistently negative experiences with EarPods!

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

i can't wait for 3+ pages of edgecase ear holes :jerkbag:

If there are 3+ pages, maybe it's not an edgecase...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Suqit posted:

:nallears:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Don't besmirch the holy produce of the Apple!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can anyone vouch for a good app to determine battery wear? I'm using one called "Battery life" which is claiming my battery is currently only capable of keeping 40% of the intended capacity. I don't fancy paying the £80 for a battery replacement if I'm planning on getting the 2017 iPhone regardless.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you aren't sure and you need an app to tell you if your battery is broken then your battery is fine.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I hear turning off battery % solves 90% of battery problems.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Time to hit the... FRUIT STAND :grin:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:byodood: MUH DAILY DRIVER! :byodame:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Battery life has taken a nose dive on 10.2 🤔 6s+
Upgraded a few days ago, it's hardly still indexing is it?!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Suqit posted:

Something Awful is an edgecase.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's more a case that I know Pokemon Go is a massive battery hog plus the cold weather affecting things, but I'm curious if there has also been a long term drain that I haven't noticed as it's been over the course of two and a bit years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Bold claim. I guess Apple wants me to get new ears instead, because the regular ear pods don't stay in my ears for poo poo, and the airpods look exactly the same shape.

:sigh:

Except one of the main reasons headphones fall out of your ear holes is the wired cable that tends to enhance, not reduce our planet's already significant gravitational pull.

They may still not stay in your ears for poo poo, but every indication is they're more secure without the cable.

If you love Earpods, set them free. If they don't fall out then they're yours. If they fall out they were never meant to be.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Except one of the main reasons headphones fall out of your ear holes is the wired cable that tends to enhance, not reduce our planet's already significant gravitational pull.

They may still not stay in your ears for poo poo, but every indication is they're more secure without the cable.

If you love Earpods, set them free. If they don't fall out then they're yours. If they fall out they were never meant to be.

Yeah, I'm actually kinda coming around on the idea of the AirPods. I just picked up a 7 Plus and have been giving the Lightning EarPods a second chance, and they're not terrible. They fit well enough, and let just enough sound in that I feel aware of my surroundings when I'm walking outdoors. Sound quality isn't outstanding, but it's certainly good enough for the casual listening at the office I do 90% of the time.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

sleepwalkers posted:

and let just enough sound in that I feel aware of my surroundings when I'm walking outdoors.

No, don't you see, this is a design flaw!!!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I dunno, battery life seems about the same on my 7, though I do more email / text than voice normally.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How the gently caress does one convince an iphone to default to playing music when connecting to bluetooth in my car? It's worked in the past but since ios 10 dropped it always tries to resume the last thing I was doing that had audio (which is usually watching a youtube video) and the only way to actually get some music is to dig the phone out of my pocket and press play in the music app.

In the past, like with the launch of ios8 and ios9, it broke after updating. But then after a ciuple weeks ios figured out that being in car means I want to play music and it worked fine. But that ain't happening with ios10.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

The worst thing about the EarPods was the sound leak. What are the airpods like?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah 10.2 seems to have totally hosed my battery, I can see it going down here in realtime, 10% in like five minutes, what the gently caress.

E: has gone from 40% to 24% in the six minutes since I posted 😳

E2: 24% to 16% in four minutes 😳😳😳

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 20, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah 10.2 seems to have totally hosed my battery, I can see it going down here in realtime, 10% in like five minutes, what the gently caress.

E: has gone from 40% to 24% in the six minutes since I posted 😳

E2: 24% to 16% in four minutes 😳😳😳

What does the battery usage screen in Setting show?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

carry on then posted:

What does the battery usage screen in Setting show?

This is insane, I've never had battery issues on the 6s+ before. I don't think I've charged it ever more than once a day.

E: it now seems to have stopped draining at 12% 🤔

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 20, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I tried to use them with one of the shirt clips that came with my old in-ears. You know, those clips supposed to relieve most of the pulling load on the cables, and they still keep falling out. I mean, I'm glad they work out for you, but claiming a hard shell is an universal fit is bullshit.

I mean, I can make them stick to my ears, but that involves not cleaning my ear canals anymore.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I just got an iPhone 6s a couple days ago, new. I just now noticed that when I squeeze the top right corner (with my index on the top of the phone just to the right of the speaker and my thumb just below the power button) the screen goes black. It comes right back when I let go, and I don't run into this in everyday use, but it sure is weird. Is this a common problem? Should I just take it back to the fruit stand?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah take it back

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Arcsech posted:

I just got an iPhone 6s a couple days ago, new. I just now noticed that when I squeeze the top right corner (with my index on the top of the phone just to the right of the speaker and my thumb just below the power button) the screen goes black. It comes right back when I let go, and I don't run into this in everyday use, but it sure is weird. Is this a common problem? Should I just take it back to the fruit stand?

Brother.... you're headed to... THE FRUIT STAND!!!!! :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DA FRUIT STAND :xd: