Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PittTheElder posted:

A book I'm reading made a very offhand comment about leftover torpedoes being responsible for sinking at least one merchant vessel in the wake of WWII. As in, the torpedo was just floating around weeks or months after it was fired, and some poor ship bumped into it and detonated it. Book has no citation for this though, does anyone know of any such incident?

Rogue mines I could see, but my totally uninformed instinct tells me a torpedo would probably sink once it exhausted its propulsion system.

Mines used to be called torpedoes up until the late 19th century, hence "drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead". The author might have gotten mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Truly the descendents of Sun Tzu

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

I swear this update has the Tallboy and Grand Slam! Somehow I confused myself enough to think the Tallboy and Grand Slam were in the last post I made. Late night or early morning updates do that to me apparently.

In any case, for real this time, How were the Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs built? And how fast could a Grand Slam travel; how fast could it rotate? Why did the largest bombs have cowls between the bomb body and the tail assembly? What colours were used to identify Semi-Armor Piercing Bombs? All that and more at the blog!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thanks for the answer

Splode posted:

That line usually gets crossed when the police start hurting people.

With regard to this though, isn't that point already too late to mount an organized defense? I would expect you'd have to go in planning for that point beforehand, otherwise people would just end up scattering in a disorganized rout, as the police would be intending with their attack.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

SlothfulCobra posted:

Thanks for the answer

With regard to this though, isn't that point already too late to mount an organized defense? I would expect you'd have to go in planning for that point beforehand, otherwise people would just end up scattering in a disorganized rout, as the police would be intending with their attack.

I mean, if the protests keep happening and police keep getting violent, presumably you'd notice the pattern and have what to do next time they come in with truncheons a-swinging ready.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Today's Time Commanders was pretty good. (One side clearly knew a bit more history than the other....)

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Since it's not exactly history yet can someone point me to the thread that can tell me exactly what the deal is between the Turks and the Reds as fat as Syria goes? I thought they both hated Kurds and Rebels and that was the end of the story but it would appear that it is not the whole picture.

Also: Tias I love you and your peoples long tradition of demonstration/democracy/independence. It's more "american" than America. I visited recently. I didn't want to come back.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FrozenVent posted:

Mines used to be called torpedoes up until the late 19th century, hence "drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead". The author might have gotten mixed up.

You're probably right, either that or he just made that poo poo up; the passage is clearly intended to mean torpedo in the modern sense, but given that googling "roaming torpedo" only produces hits from this particular book (Dark Sun, Richard Rhodes), I think it's safe to conclude that was never actually a thing. He's made it an excellent metaphor several times though, shame it's not true (unless you're a sailor I guess).

DiHK posted:

the Reds.

lol wat

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 20, 2016

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

DiHK posted:

I thought they both hated Kurds and Rebels

And each other. That's no small part of it.

e: Also, don't forget Turkey shot a Russian plane out of the sky (in Turkish airspace) in cold blood a few months ago.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Please don't.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

I know that the USSR hasn't existed since Ronnie told them to tear down that wall but Russia is as "red" now as it ever was.

Also I'm just being cute with antiquated political slurs.

MANime in the sheets posted:

e: Also, don't forget Turkey shot a Russian plane out of the sky (in Turkish airspace) in cold blood a few months ago.

Wasn't that just retaliation for the aids doctors?

But no, link a thread for me please because this is too hot. Or at least keep it locked to cold war terms. Turkey was stable with Iraq and anti Iran during their war right? Everybody hates Kurds right? (:sad: I love Kurds). When did Assad come to power?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

DiHK posted:

I know that the USSR hasn't existed since Ronnie told them to tear down that wall but Russia is as "red" now as it ever was.

But no, link a thread for me please because this is too hot. Or at least keep it locked to cold war terms. Turkey was stable with Iraq and anti Iran during their war right? Everybody hates Kurds right? (:sad: I love Kurds). When did Assad come to power?

Dude seriously? Here:

https://www.amazon.com/Burning-Country-Syrians-Revolution-War/dp/0745336221
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33487.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/ISIS-Inside-Terror-Michael-Weiss/dp/1941393578

e: gently caress it, check your inbox

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 20, 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You loving nerd I'm not asking about ISIS vs. Russia and Assad I am asking why Turkey is flip floppy douche master. That's the dynamic I don't understand. I'm also asking directions to a goon thread about it. Do I need to make a tell me thread? I find that hard to believe.

But you made some :effort: so thanks I guess.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

DiHK posted:

You loving nerd I'm not asking about ISIS vs. Russia and Assad I am asking why Turkey is flip floppy douche master. That's the dynamic I don't understand. I'm also asking directions to a goon thread about it. Do I need to make a tell me thread? I find that hard to believe.

But you are some :effort: so thanks I guess.

The Middle East thread is a good place to monitor. Also check your inbox, I decided not to be a total rear end in a top hat.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

The Middle East thread is a good place to monitor. Also check your inbox, I decided not to be a total rear end in a top hat.

Dude, you took a giant dump in my in box and I am gonna sniff at it for the next week of "family visiting".

Thank-you.

Anyway, turkey doesn't seem to have a very consolidated state even now. That's good because I've always wanted to visit Constantinople.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DiHK posted:

flip floppy

I'll just say this: The actions of most participants in the Middle Eastern conflicts in the past decade have been quite consistent with their generally stated goals in the region, once you cut through the fancy justification bullshit. The means they use may differ from those someone else would use in their place, change based on how the balance of power shifts, and miscalculations are sometimes (read: often) made, sure, but it's not by any means whimsical.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Turkey, the land of whimsy and moustaches

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Re: Middle East thread. Never ever go to D&D. It's like TCC but for awful political opinions.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It was a good thread when it was mostly about Fade5 and BM giving updates on what was happening. But then the Tankies, Assad-Apologists, Death-Wishers and etc infested the place and :rip:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WW2 Data

I swear this update has the Tallboy and Grand Slam! Somehow I confused myself enough to think the Tallboy and Grand Slam were in the last post I made. Late night or early morning updates do that to me apparently.

In any case, for real this time, How were the Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs built? And how fast could a Grand Slam travel; how fast could it rotate? Why did the largest bombs have cowls between the bomb body and the tail assembly? What colours were used to identify Semi-Armor Piercing Bombs? All that and more at the blog!

hell yeah!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The middle-east conflict thread is insane, but can sometime give a good answer. Enter at your own peril I guess

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Xerxes17 posted:

It was a good thread when it was mostly about Fade5 and BM giving updates on what was happening. But then the Tankies, Assad-Apologists, Death-Wishers and etc infested the place and :rip:

I lost interest in that thread when every criticism of Russia or Assad was replied with WHY DO YOU LOVE AL-QAEDA?!?! as if the Sunni islamists sprung up in Aleppo fully formed from the Earth

As for Military History, good loving luck to any scholars in 30 years who try to write about the Syrian Civil War

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

MikeCrotch posted:

I lost interest in that thread when every criticism of Russia or Assad was replied with WHY DO YOU LOVE AL-QAEDA?!?! as if the Sunni islamists sprung up in Aleppo fully formed from the Earth

As for Military History, good loving luck to any scholars in 30 years who try to write about the Syrian Civil War

This is pretty much why my posting is at a minimum these days. It's incredibly frustrating.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Fangz posted:

Today's Time Commanders was pretty good. (One side clearly knew a bit more history than the other....)

For those of us who can't see it, what happened?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It seems like someone has uploaded the two episodes from season 2 on to youtube, you might be able to watch them before they are taken down.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Boiled Water posted:

Re: Middle East thread. Never ever go to D&D. It's like TCC but for awful political opinions.

Seems like the perfect place for this

DiHK posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DiHK posted:

Do you... know very much about either the USSR or modern Russia?

Or do you just mean you like using them as OPFOR?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Russia looks pretty OPFOR from where I am.

With Trump at the helm and Poland maaaybe turning to the road to dodgy stuff, we might be poo poo outta luck soon, since we rely on NATO and it's Polish contingent to help up until W. Europe units arrive.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'd say I know what the average American knows about Russia but the average American knows dick all so that's probably not right. I know that without really 'strong' central 'leadership' Russia's people tend to suffer and people usually like stability so they rather like leaders that deliver it. I reckon it's similar to how Iraq needed a despot to maintain national coherency.

This is all sort of tangentially related to a recent National Geographic article, which I begrudgingly admit has been better under Murdoch's ownership. Coincidence? Hmm.

Look: I'm not trying to paint any of these actors as crazy or stupid, but I do have a tendency to frame it with a cold war mentality. (E: so I do tend to think of them as OPFOR because that's what they've always been painted as :911:)

I also like learning poo poo and trolling goons, but that's most people in this dead gay forum. Also also I was drunk and rowdy last night and SA is my safe space for that.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 20, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boiled Water posted:

I don't know dude

In TCC there is a thread all about opiates. The thread was started by a guy who later died of opiate abuse. None the less, people go into that thread all the time and say "I'm a cool dude who is above addiction, gonna snort 50 oxy this weekend."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

what interests me is that stereotypically at the time, that's a thing that germans and bohemians do. when italians and spanish develop a vice, it's a gambling addiction. except gallas i guess, although he came from trent and i think that's germano-italian

edit: and swedes i guess, baner was an alcoholic--and a mean drunk

This is really odd and interesting. I always thought vice would have a more or less normal distribution. Is continental Europe addicted to tobacco yet?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Oh, Christ, what now?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

People demonstrating no understanding of history other than the incredibly superficial one.txt

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

DiHK posted:

I'd say I know what the average American knows about Russia but the average American knows dick all so that's probably not right. I know that without really 'strong' central 'leadership' Russia's people tend to suffer and people usually like stability so they rather like leaders that deliver it. I reckon it's similar to how Iraq needed a despot to maintain national coherency.

This is all sort of tangentially related to a recent National Geographic article, which I begrudgingly admit has been better under Murdoch's ownership. Coincidence? Hmm.

Look: I'm not trying to paint any of these actors as crazy or stupid, but I do have a tendency to frame it with a cold war mentality. (E: so I do tend to think of them as OPFOR because that's what they've always been painted as :911:)

I also like learning poo poo and trolling goons, but that's most people in this dead gay forum. Also also I was drunk and rowdy last night and SA is my safe space for that.

Where the gently caress did you get your history lesson, 4chan? Wow! Att least go and see BBC's 'the 20th century' series or something

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Oh, Christ, what now?

The Russian ambassador to Turkey got assassinated yesterday at an art event (the killer says it was revenge for Russian bombing of Aleppo, while Turkey insists that he was pretending and is really a Gulenist traitor).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The US and the USSR were originally opposed to each other for some kind of nebulous ideological threat, so far as I know. It seems a kind of silly to me now, but people at the time were running around like chickens with their heads cut off about it all.

It's giving far, FAR too much credit to say Reagan was responsible for the fall of the USSR, but sure, in the 80s they went kaput. They had a bunch of systematic problems catch up with them, and they were trying to fix it all with glasnost and perestroika and whatnot, but that sort of backfired when a bunch of member states decided that when given the option, they'd rather just up and leave the USSR if they could. When it was all said and done, what was left that wanted to stay together decided to call itself the Russian Federation and completely reorganize itself.

After that, I know a lot less about specifics, but I do know that a country losing so much of itself isn't a walk in the park, and Russia went through a lot of trouble in those days, including defaulting on their debt. I heard once a Russian saying that played on the similarity of their word for democracy with their word for poo poo. The US spent this time basking in its "victory," and if there was a chance the US had to stop being rivals with Russia and have some kind of friendly relationship, they missed it there. Putin eventually emerged out of the mess and seized control and got his iron grip on the nation, and sooner or later Russia's butting heads with America like it was old times again. It must've felt like a real nostalgia trip to politicians. God only knows where we're headed now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The US and the USSR were originally opposed to each other for some kind of nebulous ideological threat, so far as I know. It seems a kind of silly to me now, but people at the time were running around like chickens with their heads cut off about it all.

The main reason there was so much tension between the US and USSR is because they were competing superpowers; the ideological differences just got wrapped up in a litany of other frictions. Superpowers have always butted heads with one another, and usually ended things with a shooting war....the Cold War was no different in this respect except that it never escalated like the superpower conflicts of previous generations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Catching up so this is from a few pages back:

Re old guns: the key is to just collect what you're comfortable with. Some people really don't like Nazi poo poo, and that's fine. I own plenty (plus American soviet and crap from countries that never fired a shot in anger while they were fielded - Luxembourg FN49 I'm looking at you).

That said once upon a time I had a Yugoslav SKS that had what I later learned was Serbian nationalist symbols and slogans carved into the stock. That was a bit much and I sold it. Likewise I don't own any SS issued stuff. I don't look down on those who do, though.

On museums: keep collectible guns out of them. They generally have no place to display them and they end up rusting away in storage. Better a collector who will actually care for them have them. A huge ACW gun collection donated to a North Carolina museum in the 90s is now in crates for this reason. Donating grandpas war gun to the local historical society isn't doing the right thing or preserving history. It's a tragedy of the commons issue at heart where no one really wants to look at them and no one has s motive to care for them. Once a museum had one representative piece to stick on display they're more or less good.

There are some notable exceptions (bill Cody museum, NRA museum, etc) but frankly if you own something rare enough that they are interested you're an edge case.

THAT said those edge cases do exist. I own a knights cross with oak leaves and swords (war trophy heirloom) that I might see if I can find a home for some day. I got a laugh when the deutsche historische museum had a repro.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not all that nebulous, the potential spread of socialism/communism/any reformist regime change posed a threat to American business interests. The American people by and large didn't care at all in the pre-war era (or were even down with socialism), and had pretty positive opinions of Russia during the war. The change starts with business influence within government, and devolved into McCarthyism and the stunted political discourse America enjoys to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you want the short version of why the USSR fell apart the economy was hosed. The Brezhnev era of prosperity was basically propped up by petroleum exports. Cheap oil really hosed their budgets at the same time that they had leadership crises due to the Great War generation dying off