Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

I'm a doctor and there is nothing wrong with your Doritos and Dew consumption rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i only want the rank 1 title so i can deliberately never ever use it and nobody can see it ever

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Everyone please report Dreggon.6598 to ArenaNet for abusing the lower NA server skill pool to gain PvP titles unfairly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

where the red fern gropes posted:

good one, game! ha ha! very funny! you are raising my rating with good teammates, so you can take it all away later

ha ha

ha

ha

i have a problem

Dreggon you're a beautiful boy

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I actually ran the Wintersday JP enough times to know that the time between the final gifts exploding and the new set spawning is exactly 8 seconds. The blue gifts at the bottom only spawn if a new set of gifts spawn and sit for a bit without anyone jumping for them, which is rare. I believe you have the same amount of time to get up there so if you're someone who relies on those blue gifts, you really need to just go for the bottom white gift instead.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Lonk posted:

So I know a lot of people dislike the Wintersday JP for various reasons, mostly due to rage-inducing mistakes but I figure maybe I can give a few tips to help out.

First off, the health depletion timer thingy is mostly there to make you panic and gently caress up your jumps early on. Don't worry about it and just take whichever of the paths you find easiest. I personally find Quaggan path the easiest but others swear by gingerbread man path. I actually think the hardest part of the entire JP is the candy cane bits because you can misjudge and jump between them. You should be able to memorize the spawns of the snowflakes after a few runs and once you hit the peppermint platform with the fire, you are "safe" to take a break.

This is where you need to wait, just before the "gifts" section. This section messes a LOT of people up because they panic or don't understand how to jump up it. What you want to do is when you get to the platform, wait for the gifts to spawn fresh then jump right up the middle part straight ahead. If the gifts are already spawned when you get to the platform, just wait for them to blow up and respawn. You are not in any rush at this spot and it will pay off to wait. Immediately after this you will see a big snowman to your right who occasionally blows wind across the next bit. You will want to use a dodge roll forward to evade this. Most times it won't even hit you if he's doing it or he may not be doing it but better to be safe about it.

Last is the giant snowball path. There are the peppermints to the side of the paths and again do not rush this and try to squeak past the snowball because you're in a hurry or you likely will get run over. Take your time and stop at each peppermint. The last bit can be done with two dodges if you're careful and you can jump to the last peppermint on your right before you get to the floating gifts/candy canes but this is risky and should only be done if you know what you are doing; otherwise wait on that last one to your left until the snowball passes. Also note the red aoes from skritt firing their shots because not only will these gently caress you up, sometimes they are more staggered than usual, depending on the instance.

The very last part with the floating gifts is very easy, just take your time and don't get cocky and run off :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkGnyg4eI1k

Hopefully the tips/vid will help others enjoy this JP more because it is definitely one of my favs.

Alternate tutorial video, courtesy of a 4-year-old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3sdRGkEFi8

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

AnacondaHL posted:

Alternate tutorial video, courtesy of a 4-year-old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3sdRGkEFi8

I would beat this garbage idiot at a wintersday jp race any day then tell her that she's adopted.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Everyone please report Dreggon.6598 to ArenaNet for abusing the lower NA server skill pool to gain PvP titles unfairly.

These entitled pvp queens abusing the system that take the titles from all the North American lunch pail 9 to 5 MMO PvPatroits.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For funtimes in spvp, especially if you hate the new Guardian meta build as much as me, play the Power Shatter Mesmer build on Metabattle. It's hilarious and it's really good at blowing up guards.

You play some keepaway and pull the usual block block block block mesmer games until they're down to ~65% HP then Sword 3 Immobilize -> shield 5 -> weapon swap to Greatsword -> Greatsword 2 + F1 + Greatsword 3 and just slap them for 10k+ and skip all that bullshit where they heal half a dozen times and wear you down over the next twelve miserable minutes. If it doesn't kill them, Greatsword 5 + F3 to chain-stun them while you finish them. It's easy to grind people down with a mix of Greatsword from range and the cheesy durable goodness that is Sword/Shield and the fact that you have Retaliation on all your illusions when you summon them, so cleaving down your Illusions actually starts to hurt pretty quickly.

It's also great in teamfights because you crap out tons of aoe burst when you bomb people, and a lot of sources of Stability are only 1-2 stacks of Stability, which is pretty easy to punch through with Diversion with full illusions, and Distortion is an easy way to secure stomps.

I started playing it to screw around because I hate this pvp season and have almost immediately fallen in love with how good it is at just obliterating people. And it's a great build for +1ing fights and winning them quickly, most of the time when I join in on a 1v1 it's done in the next 5 seconds because that's how long it takes to set up and execute the burst. If that's not enough, then Greatsword 5 and Daze spam from F3 can keep them from healing long enough for your partner to land some more big hits to finish the job.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Eat poo poo cat I still won. I rule.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Your cat is scrub tier on destroying runs. Try a bird that knows exactly when to land on the v key or spacebar to make me fall directly off a jump.

Aug 24, 2011

good one, game! ha ha! very funny! you are raising my rating with good teammates, so you can take it all away later

they give small numbers and then they take all your poo poo

14 for a win, -54 for a lose

gud match make

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
what kind of loot have you been getting from those pvp boxes?

Aug 24, 2011

poo poo

Aug 24, 2011

15 for a win but people in my game only got 9

like, drat, this is pretty brutal if you're trying for a high score

the penalty for losing is excessive

e: drat, down another 45 for losing. i wasnt seriously going for a title but now i dont think i give a poo poo at all

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 19, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

15 for a win but people in my game only got 9

like, drat, this is pretty brutal if you're trying for a high score

the penalty for losing is excessive

e: drat, down another 45 for losing. i wasnt seriously going for a title but now i dont think i give a poo poo at all

Seems about on par. At the top the game is expecting you o win 75% to maintain.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

nickhimself posted:

what kind of loot have you been getting from those pvp boxes?

The boxes are poo poo, but the easy ascended more than make up for it.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

The worst thing about losing so many points compared to how little you gain is that it doesn't matter how good you actually are.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I don't even look at the ratings, they have nothing to do with getting ascension or the free ascended armor or my box of blood rubies.

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

Magres posted:

For funtimes in spvp, especially if you hate the new Guardian meta build as much as me, play the Power Shatter Mesmer build on Metabattle. It's hilarious and it's really good at blowing up guards.

You play some keepaway and pull the usual block block block block mesmer games until they're down to ~65% HP then Sword 3 Immobilize -> shield 5 -> weapon swap to Greatsword -> Greatsword 2 + F1 + Greatsword 3 and just slap them for 10k+ and skip all that bullshit where they heal half a dozen times and wear you down over the next twelve miserable minutes. If it doesn't kill them, Greatsword 5 + F3 to chain-stun them while you finish them. It's easy to grind people down with a mix of Greatsword from range and the cheesy durable goodness that is Sword/Shield and the fact that you have Retaliation on all your illusions when you summon them, so cleaving down your Illusions actually starts to hurt pretty quickly.

It's also great in teamfights because you crap out tons of aoe burst when you bomb people, and a lot of sources of Stability are only 1-2 stacks of Stability, which is pretty easy to punch through with Diversion with full illusions, and Distortion is an easy way to secure stomps.

I started playing it to screw around because I hate this pvp season and have almost immediately fallen in love with how good it is at just obliterating people. And it's a great build for +1ing fights and winning them quickly, most of the time when I join in on a 1v1 it's done in the next 5 seconds because that's how long it takes to set up and execute the burst. If that's not enough, then Greatsword 5 and Daze spam from F3 can keep them from healing long enough for your partner to land some more big hits to finish the job.

Absolutely trying this out, thanks.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

HUG ME FOREVER posted:

Absolutely trying this out, thanks.

I recommend messing around on the target golems for a couple minutes to get the combo a little bit into muscle memory. It's not a complicated thing to do but it's important to get it down pat or you'll have a hard time blowing people up. The most important part to execute quickly is doing Mirror Blade (Greatsword 2) then, when it's finishing, hit Mind Wrack (F1) and Mind Stab (Greatsword 3) as quickly as you can. I like also leading with Phantasmal Berserker (Greatsword 4) because it's a fair bit of damage, adds a Phantasm for you to detonate, and Cripples on hit, which is always nice.

Other thing you can do to ramp up your burst damage is to get three illusions, preferably from Sword/Shield, then lead with Diversion (F3) because each time you Daze someone it puts 5 stacks of Vuln on them, and you get 1.5% bonus damage per stack of Vuln instead of 1% bonus damage. If you do Shield 4 and block something with it so you can Shield 4 again, then Sword 3 into the Sword 3 immob to start the big combo, when you Diversion it should detonate your clone and your phantasms. Chronophantasma (the GM trait in Chrono you'll have) will resummon your Phantasms, and shattering them all will summon an extra Clone, so you'll have a full set of illusions again. If something DOES disrupt that, you still have Mirror Blade to summon a Clone for you, so you should have no fewer than 2 Clones for the Mind Wrack shatter.

Last thing to note because it's something a lot of people don't realize, when you hit a Shatter you also shatter off your own location. Shattering with 3 illusions actually gets you the effect 4 times, so it's important to facehug people as you shatter for extra damage. If you can set people up with Diversion and max Vuln you can get like 15k bursts, and that extra hit of Mind Wrack is the difference between a 12k burst and a 15k burst. Which is juuust enough to detonate most setups from about 65-75% HP instead of 55-65% HP when people might start getting a little more cautious.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
SFD has a new member guys

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
How much you in for, Arus?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

SFD has a new member guys

Now here's a character that can get people in LA riled up just by existing.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Heart of Thorns is on sale for $25 on Nuuvem. The keys might work in EU too.

Nuuvem = official digital reseller for BR but they also opened a US online store.

https://www.nuuvem.com/item/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns

E: I don't think keys are region locked anymore?

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 20, 2016

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm currently playing Elder Scrolls Online so I don't know when I'll make use of it, but I'm apparently now the proud owner of the "Heroic Edition" of this game

It's part of this months Humble Bundle so if anyone is considering buying this, or wants to get a friend to do so, its part of a pretty massive deal: https://www.humblebundle.com/

Aug 24, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

I'm currently playing Elder Scrolls Online so I don't know when I'll make use of it, but I'm apparently now the proud owner of the "Heroic Edition" of this game

It's part of this months Humble Bundle so if anyone is considering buying this, or wants to get a friend to do so, its part of a pretty massive deal: https://www.humblebundle.com/

jokes on you thats the poo poo version of the game so you have to rebuy it to get all the new features

Aug 24, 2011

ice outfit on gem store 700 gems

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

dromal phrenia posted:

Yeaaah that's not Heart of Thorns, the expansion. The core game, that thing, is free to play now.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeaaah that's not Heart of Thorns, the expansion. The core game, that thing, is free to play now.

Well, the version on the bundle might be the "full" version of the base game, with daily chests, etc. that you cannot buy standalone any more.

Remember that the FTP version removed a bunch of stuff to disincentivize people from making dozens of throwaway accounts to farm daily login rewards.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Blasphemeral posted:

Well, the version on the bundle might be the "full" version of the base game, with daily chests, etc. that you cannot buy standalone any more.

Remember that the FTP version removed a bunch of stuff to disincentivize people from making dozens of throwaway accounts to farm daily login rewards.

Well yeah, but why on earth would you buy the base game now, when HoT is available...

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I'd totally take another copy of the base game if it didn't have account restrictions related to the TP, mail, etc.

I'd love to get double the daily rewards

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well yeah, but why on earth would you buy the base game now, when HoT is available...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Look, I'm just saying, okay, okay, just close your eyes and imagine.....what if gems were in that bundle instead....

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

if you buy HoT for 25 buck sale right now, you will break even at 7 months of login reward. Roughly figured out via dollar to gem to gold value conversations of that 25 bux.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

knowonecanknow posted:

if you buy HoT for 25 buck sale right now, you will break even at 7 months of login reward. Roughly figured out via dollar to gem to gold value conversations of that 25 bux.

Make 5 level 21 characters with the tomes you get and park them at a jumping puzzle. Daily 7% chance of doubloons at 1.5-1.8g per character for even more gold. Hm, I wonder if having ascended crafting at 400-500 for the daily ascended material forges would be even more profitable.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

cheaper character slots too.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://i.gyazo.com/74634b27d0a1a642d48f05c7d02e4b6e.mp4

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

jokes on you thats the poo poo version of the game so you have to rebuy it to get all the new features

joke isn't really on me since i bought the humble bundle before that one was even revealed

jokes on YOU because it means i probably wont play with you! SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

joke isn't really on me since i bought the humble bundle before that one was even revealed

jokes on YOU because it means i probably wont play with you! SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS :grin:

no!!!!! please play with me im so lonely :(

• Locked thread