Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

man nurse posted:

Man, the post game content in this is aggressively unfun. The adamantoise battle, the menace dungeons, the awful flying car, probably the pitious dungeon for a lot of people, it's really soured me on this game that I otherwise loved playing through. I know nothing is forcing me to engage with any of this content, but when you've enjoyed the game and are faced with the promise of even more challenges and adventures, it's like really? These dull, lazy rear end hours-long timesinks are the best they could come up with? Pitous dungeon at least showed a little creativity, as opposed to the joyless hours long gauntlets or a fight where you hold R1 and triangle for equally as long.

Is this kind of stuff just traditionally what constitutes extra content in a JRPG? Maybe I'm not the target audience for it and enthusiasts actually love this stuff, I don't know. But it feels like past titles had at least a little more creative and worthwhile side stuff to sink your teeth into.

Yup, save for the dungeon everyone love/hates. this is standard jrpg post content, Hp sponges and quests that grant weapons you don't really need because you've done everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's really weird that most of Randolph's weapons can just be found in the world somewhere. It makes the quests seem pretty pointless. I guess they're supposed to be really hard to find?

EDIT: Why is Steyliff like 10x as long as the others?!
EDIT: By the way are any of the character specific accessories worth using? The ones that auto-use items could be good, but expensive. What about the one that makes Gladio do +50% damage against large enemies and one that makes Prompto do +50% against small enemies? And obviously the black hood I guess.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 20, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

man nurse posted:

Is this kind of stuff just traditionally what constitutes extra content in a JRPG? Maybe I'm not the target audience for it and enthusiasts actually love this stuff, I don't know. But it feels like past titles had at least a little more creative and worthwhile side stuff to sink your teeth into.

In terms of extra content, yea mostly. But that doesn't excuse the really poor dungeon design for the sealed dungeons. Most JRPGS put in some effort into those. Any game Tri-Ace makes normally has great postgame dungeons like Valkyrie Profile.

RatHat posted:

It's really weird that most of Randolph's weapons can just be found in the world somewhere. It makes the quests seem pretty pointless. I guess they're supposed to be really hard to find?

EDIT: Why is Steyliff like 10x as long as the others?!
EDIT: By the way are any of the character specific accessories worth using? The ones that auto-use items could be good, but expensive. What about the one that makes Gladio do +50% damage against large enemies and one that makes Prompto do +50% against small enemies? And obviously the black hood I guess.

You can find some, but not all of Randolph's weapons. Might just be the first 2 actually.

Steyliff is 100 floor because gently caress you.

The Ignis unique accessory is pretty nice for the final sealed dungeon. He tosses you an elixir when your max hp has been reduced is below 50%.
The 50% damage ones are nice. More for Gladio because he actually does damage. 50% more damage from Prompto is still 0.
The black hood sucks. All it does is mimic you holding the guard button, with all the same restrictions ie it won't work while you are attacking.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 20, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Took some time a few hours ago to finish the rest of the Legendary Weapons quests. That last one was a real bitch. Naglfar, I think its name was? I went through most of my curatives healing everyone since no one loving dodges. People are right, the game is fun, but the battle system shows its worst parts when you're in HP sponge fights that rely on loving over your dimwit AI buddies. Anyway, the Zwill Crossblades are everything I'd hoped they'd be, so that's cool.

Also did the Keycatrich bonus dungeon and if the rest of them are worse, I'm probably gonna skip them. If they want me to crawl around a sprawling cavern, the least they can do is give me a map. Removing such a core gameplay function for no good reason is really bad and while it does add to the challenge, it makes things just generally unfun. I'll focus on the rest of the remaining hunts I need and maybe a few other things, then wait for the Holiday Patch and beyond.

In the meantime, I finally saw my first Cactuar after 85 hours of playtime. Finding these things is gonna be a pain. You all say they're easier to find northwest of Hammerhead, right? And using the monster whistle over and over can also spawn them? I'll have to do this a little bit.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Augus posted:

Wait till you get to the final one :shepicide:

I think I got to this one my last session and the cause of all my losses have been Prompto flying out of nowhere to shove an explosion up my rear end.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

The Grimace posted:

Took some time a few hours ago to finish the rest of the Legendary Weapons quests. That last one was a real bitch. Naglfar, I think its name was? I went through most of my curatives healing everyone since no one loving dodges. People are right, the game is fun, but the battle system shows its worst parts when you're in HP sponge fights that rely on loving over your dimwit AI buddies. Anyway, the Zwill Crossblades are everything I'd hoped they'd be, so that's cool.

Also did the Keycatrich bonus dungeon and if the rest of them are worse, I'm probably gonna skip them. If they want me to crawl around a sprawling cavern, the least they can do is give me a map. Removing such a core gameplay function for no good reason is really bad and while it does add to the challenge, it makes things just generally unfun. I'll focus on the rest of the remaining hunts I need and maybe a few other things, then wait for the Holiday Patch and beyond.

In the meantime, I finally saw my first Cactuar after 85 hours of playtime. Finding these things is gonna be a pain. You all say they're easier to find northwest of Hammerhead, right? And using the monster whistle over and over can also spawn them? I'll have to do this a little bit.

This is the problem I've had with the series for a while. I guess 5 was really the start of it with Omega and Shinryuu but 7 was my first introduction to it when you had emerald and ruby that required you to do some game breaking stuff to avoid (game-over-ing from) one-shot mechanics. Overall they, specifically, weren't that bad. But the FF games have gotten progressively worse about their post game optional content. Harder seems to be their only goal with no thought of giving it some fun.

I'm only at chapter 6 right now so I'll reserve judgement. But seeing the platforming dungeon speed run makes me incredibly nervous.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Ignis unique accessory is pretty nice for the final sealed dungeon. He tosses you an elixir when your max hp has been reduced is below 50%.
The 50% damage ones are nice. More for Gladio because he actually does damage. 50% more damage from Prompto is still 0.
The black hood sucks. All it does is mimic you holding the guard button, with all the same restrictions ie it won't work while you are attacking.

Every Adamantoise speedrun has Prompto just spamming his Deathblow over and over again since it's vulnerable for so long and I have no idea if it's actually making a difference.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This game is fantastic to drink and play with friends

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Btw this is $35 on Amazon today only. It's deffo worth $35 to me.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

This game is fantastic to drink and play with friends

A hard mode you could play locally and/or online with friends would be pretty good. Playing Tales of Symphonia with friends was some of the best RPG playing times I've had.

A quick search indicates some kind of multiplayer is coming though?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Pitioss's sidescrolling section is bullshit because it's still 3-D, just at a weird angle, which means that you can fall out of the front of the screen, basically. It's the exact same bullshit I hate about Little Big Planet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is the date for when they fix the story and I can start playing this again? (Both the patch and the story DLC)

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
In case anyone missed it some guy dropped the turtle in 6 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6IhRP631Rc&t=7s

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Between Pitioss and C13 I'm now certain someone with influence in the team must've played and loved Nier

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Pitioss's sidescrolling section is bullshit because it's still 3-D, just at a weird angle, which means that you can fall out of the front of the screen, basically. It's the exact same bullshit I hate about Little Big Planet.

On the other hand, it uses that to make some pretty smart shortcuts.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I might have asked before, but is Ebony really all that good?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I hear it fares very well in blind taste tests.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The flying car wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't just super easy to crash and then game over.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I saw that in a stream and the way it was handled was really laughable. Like, you don't get any warning or anything, or even an in-game animation, it just fades to black and says "Game Over"

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is the date for when they fix the story and I can start playing this again? (Both the patch and the story DLC)

I don't think they've released dates for any of that yet. There's some "holiday" DLC this week which includes new game+ and a few other odds and ends, but no story DLC yet.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Terper posted:

On the other hand, it uses that to make some pretty smart shortcuts.

I sure did enjoy not discovering any of those shortcuts.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I saw that in a stream and the way it was handled was really laughable. Like, you don't get any warning or anything, or even an in-game animation, it just fades to black and says "Game Over"

It's the Final Fantasy Grease ending.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I sure did enjoy not discovering any of those shortcuts.

Well, here's one. There's more.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

you can't fall out the front of the screen in little big planet.
So thats a weird thing to hate in an unrelated game.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

El Cid posted:

I hear it fares very well in blind taste tests.

:golfclap:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uhh... I just Amazon Now'd this game and it doesn't have ESRB info on it; it has a big ol' PEGI 16 on the front.

Anyone else experience something similar?

e: "Licensed for sale in Europe, India and Russia only" SCEE is stamped everywhere on it

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 20, 2016

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Also going back a bit but

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Going back to this a sec, what I would've really wanted to see at the conclusion of Chapter 1 was a frantic drive from Galdin back to Insomnia with increasingly panicked radio reports detailing the ongoing invasion that suddenly cut out a short distance before the gate. Of course that would require the car to go faster than a paper bag blowing in the breeze, and would really have to be punctuated by dropships and temporary barricades to break up the monotony. Might be a good way to introduce the dropships instead of them just randomly happening after a certain point.

This would have been great (the events of Chapter 1 are hardly a spoiler though given that they're all over the promotional materials for the game?) and much better than the actual trip to the barricade that happens in-game.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

The radio would have made some for some great world building.

I mean the nostalgia is great and all but the game is sorely missing some smaller exposition that would fit there wonderfully and would even allow the 4 to talk about the events like a tales skit.

But the car seems like another place where they didn't quite finish all they wanted to.

I imagine they initially wanted more conversation then noctis asking ignis if the cofee/energy drink is really that good.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The flying car wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't just super easy to crash and then game over.

The flying car is not fast or cool enough to be worth a (very) possible game over for a slight gently caress-up. In fact you're probably going to spend enough time lining up the perfect landing (and it must be perfect!) that just driving there in the normal Regalia is faster. Plus free AP! Seems like a no-brainer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phone posted:

Uhh... I just Amazon Now'd this game and it doesn't have ESRB info on it; it has a big ol' PEGI 16 on the front.

Anyone else experience something similar?

e: "Licensed for sale in Europe, India and Russia only" SCEE is stamped everywhere on it

Well yes but I live in Europe

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm sure I can play it just fine, but I've already contacted Amazon telling them that their poo poo is hosed up.

I don't want to have to make a European PSN account just for the DLC for this game. What a mess.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The more I think about it the more I actually really like chapter 13. There were some minor issues with the execution but I don't feel like it overstayed its welcome at all. And the Artorias-knockoff fight at the end was really good, even though the teammate AI kept walking straight into his powerful attacks and getting in danger constantly. But then I have to keep zipping around to pick them up in addition to actually fighting the boss, which just adds to the tempo and the hectic nature of it. Maybe the chapter 13 patch will alter the boss attack patterns so that the squad doesn't keep getting dropped quite so often though.

It was really fast paced, the music was great and added the appropriate level of emphasis to the battle, and my particular experience was really fun because I tapped out all my consumables except for a Mega Phoenix which I popped right at the end was my back was against the wall and then unleashed everything I had to only just squeak out a win, and then the plot development immediately after it just tied things off in a really satisfying way. Well, except for Noct's constant struggling noises completely drowning out Ardyn's dialogue. Again, minor execution issues that can easily be patched.

Then you meet Bahamut, he lays some heavy poo poo on you and tells you that you have to sacrifice yourself to restore order, you wake up in the world of darkness, land at Galdin and see the extent to which the world has completely gone to hell.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Argue posted:

I might have answered before, but yes, it is.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
SE have a snapshot dealio on twitter and I think this one won it
https://twitter.com/yukikko92/status/809732277626228741
How could it not be the #1

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
God I hate that loving smile so much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the crit chance stated for techniques isn't the same as damage crits, it's a chance to do a stronger version of the technique with a slightly different animation. In addition the buff from eating a character's food raises the chance to 100%.Here is a list of them with a video showcasing them too.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

MrLonghair posted:

SE have a snapshot dealio on twitter and I think this one won it
https://twitter.com/yukikko92/status/809732277626228741
How could it not be the #1
Would be better if he was doing what I caught him doing a couple nights ago:

Hey while I have your attention, I have a question that I'll throw into spoilers.
What the gently caress is with the summons? I beat the game and I still can't figure out the process which is required for Noctis to receive their blessing. At first I thought Luna had to form a pact and then Noctis had to kill them, but then later find out she didn't form the pact with all of them and Noctis never had to fight some of them. Then Shiva apparently died but is still alive? Also Noctis is supposed to get the blessing of all of them to win except he doesn't, he's supposed to get all of the crypt swords but he doesn't, Luna grants him the power of all the swords at once but only temporarily, and Ardyn is invincible and lives forever, except for when the story has to end. None of this makes any sense.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 20, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He SE, let me assign what techniques i want to the bar regardless of what bro it comes from. Getting sick of swapping through ignis techs.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/XBOX%20UNSUCK/video/24830804

beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DaveKap posted:

Hey while I have your attention, I have a question that I'll throw into spoilers.
What the gently caress is with the summons? I beat the game and I still can't figure out the process which is required for Noctis to receive their blessing. At first I thought Luna had to form a pact and then Noctis had to kill them, but then later find out she didn't form the pact with all of them and Noctis never had to fight some of them. Then Shiva apparently died but is still alive? Also Noctis is supposed to get the blessing of all of them to win except he doesn't, he's supposed to get all of the crypt swords but he doesn't, Luna grants him the power of all the swords at once but only temporarily, and Ardyn is invincible and lives forever, except for when the story has to end. None of this makes any sense.

From what I understand the pact is basically just convincing the astrals to help Noctis, it's just that only the Oracle can understand their language and most astrals are assholes. The Shiva thing is just that astrals reincarnate after a while when they die. By the way Luna didn't make a pact with the last 3 astrals because 2 were supposedly dead and Bahamut was missing.
As for Ardyn I think the idea was that only the power of the crystal was enough to purify and kill him.

• Locked thread