Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

*leans into mic*

:wrong:

Doctor Doom 2020 :cmon:

Marvel already had Bast confirm that the only universe in which the Earth survives is one under the benevolent iron grip of DOOM

e: DOOMED BALLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im gonna radicalize myself out of material form and manifest as a being of pure energy and irritability

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

I see nothing wrong with this :o:

ya thats the lava rock i envision killing me in the mass extinction event, maybe just the side of a pebble but it clobbers me in the temple and sets me on fire so i die blind and screaming :q:

there is already a caste system for the method of death in mass extinction, thats just so human nature huh :allears:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

im gonna radicalize myself out of material form and manifest as a being of pure energy and irritability
so becoming the second big bang?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i will always endeavor to be the grain of sand in the gonad of the universe

just hope they dont make galactic clamato out of us

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I think the problem is a significant lack of quality posting among those who don't hold leftist views.

See someone saying:

and the response being

I mean how can you turn that into more substantive debate?

I think we do pretty well as a thread considering the material we're usually given to work with. The substantive debates mostly seems to happen between the different flavors of leftist because the non-leftists can't seem to stay on topic for two posts in a row and, like I'm doing here in this post, spew a lot of made up bullshit instead of actually disagreeing about things.

I don't think logikv9 was responding to me there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Here let me summarize the Obama debate if we have it:

Side one: "I think Obama sticking around and trying to steer the party would actually damage the party because he would try to steer it in wrong direction. As evidence, I present the fact that he has so far steered the party towards overwhelming losses on the local, state, and federal levels, and he is continuing to advocate that no real change in party priorities is needed."

Side two: "Actually you'll find Obama is really popular. Lots of people like Obama. Obama has high approval ratings. He is going to stick around."

You can see the problem in terms of substantive debate, I hope! If you can't, I'll help spell it out: No one on Side Two actually bothered to disagree with anything said by the people on Side One. If they do, eventually, it's always as a very small part of their "argument". That makes "debate" very difficult!

If the majority of side two said: "Actually I think Obama sticking around would be good for the party because..." and then provided some reasons, maybe we could have a more substantive debate.

But that's about as likely as Donald Trump deciding that Climate Change is actually a really big problem, so...

Just enjoy what you can, man. There's some good discussions that happens on the margins, this thread is a lot better if you see the good stuff as a nice surprise instead of actually expecting it to be the norm, imo.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"ed balls" i scream as i become a universe-consuming blast of pure physical force

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Serf posted:

Marvel already had Bast confirm that the only universe in which the Earth survives is one under the benevolent iron grip of DOOM

e: DOOMED BALLS

thats what i hedged my bet on

Make Latveria Great Again

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

so becoming the second big bang?

i was thinking more a column of coruscating light in the middle of a vast desert somewhere

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That Lena Dunham video about the extinction of white men was cringey and laughable, but it's not what lost the election. The Rust Belt's 45-64 demographic did not see that video. People thinking dumb Internet drama culture-war bullshit matters on the real-life world stage is one of the problems with Coastal Elite culture.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

That Lena Dunham video about the extinction of white men was cringey and laughable, but it's not what lost the election. The Rust Belt's 45-64 demographic did not see that video. Thinking that dumb Internet drama culture-war bullshit matters on the real-life world stage is one of the problems with Coastal Elite culture.

thinking anything matters

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
coastal elite virtue signalling

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
mods namechange tia

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

loquacius posted:

That Lena Dunham video about the extinction of white men was cringey and laughable, but it's not what lost the election. The Rust Belt's 45-64 demographic did not see that video. People thinking dumb Internet drama culture-war bullshit matters on the real-life world stage is one of the problems with Coastal Elite culture.

Yeah but it woke my bigot white male rear end so yay?

Jk I never saw it

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hell, even I like Obama. Obama was cool, and seems like a good guy, but I think he has made a number of bad decisions for the future of the party and for the future of the country, and he's pursued some policies I don't like, and I think he would be better in a support or cheerleading role or a "retired statesmen" role than he would be guiding the party and seen as a leadership figure. Someone people talk about fondly but who doesn't really have a direct say in moving the party forward.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

Side one: "I think Obama sticking around and trying to steer the party would actually damage the party because he would try to steer it in wrong direction. As evidence, I present the fact that he has so far steered the party towards overwhelming losses on the local, state, and federal levels, and he is continuing to advocate that no real change in party priorities is needed."

Side two: "Actually you'll find Obama is really popular. Lots of people like Obama. Obama has high approval ratings. He is going to stick around."

You can see the problem in terms of substantive debate, I hope! If you can't, I'll help spell it out: No one on Side Two actually bothered to disagree with anything said by the people on Side One. If they do, eventually, it's always as a very small part of their "argument". That makes "debate" very difficult!

If the majority of side two said: "Actually I think Obama sticking around would be good for the party because..." and then provided some reasons, maybe we could have a more substantive debate.

But that's about as likely as Donald Trump deciding that Climate Change is actually a really big problem, so...

Just enjoy what you can, man. There's some good discussions that happens on the margins, this thread is a lot better if you see the good stuff as a nice surprise instead of actually expecting it to be the norm, imo.

I think it's good he's going to stick around because actually you'll find Obama is really popular. Lots of people like Obama. Obama has high approval ratings. He is going to stick around.

Like, do I actually need to explain how our pretty much one really good charismatic figure with broad appeal and executive experience behind him is a solid tool to have in the box? I think it's good we'll have a guy around who can be a good public advocate for the party, and since Obama is pretty much a party player to the core I doubt he'll have any issue helping sell, say, Ellison's agenda.

Can you actually articulate why it's BAD he's going to stay around because most of the arguments I see hinge on some neoliberal conspiracy where the serpent Obama is going to kill the party for reasons.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

GlyphGryph posted:

Sir, this is an art installation but unfortunately we're closed

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Lastgirl posted:

I see nothing wrong with this :o:

ya thats the lava rock i envision killing me in the mass extinction event, maybe just the side of a pebble but it clobbers me in the temple and sets me on fire so i die blind and screaming :q:

there is already a caste system for the method of death in mass extinction, thats just so human nature huh :allears:

lol yep ur right it's extremely human, human af that when we aren't pretending death doesn't exist / is not certain, we're creating a preference order for better and worse ways to die as if we aren't completely powerless over death and as if that wasn't what makes us crazy in the first place :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

the internet has become incredibly tied into our lives, but I don't think we're quite at the point where out of work auto workers have to wade through blatant skeletonism in their daily life

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

coastal elite virtue signalling

it makes me really happy the left is whole hog embracing terms rush limbaugh made up while high on oxy 20 years ago

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zen death robot posted:

I remember last time

youre not actually supposed to do it!!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Jk I never saw it

I didn't actually watch it either, I just saw the tweet itself and pre-cringed

I'm a loving wuss about cringey stuff, I can't even watch The Office

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
gosh the whole point of that joke is that it never happens, ZDR!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think it's good he's going to stick around because actually you'll find Obama is really popular. Lots of people like Obama. Obama has high approval ratings. He is going to stick around.

Like, do I actually need to explain how our pretty much one really good charismatic figure with broad appeal and executive experience behind him is a solid tool to have in the box? I think it's good we'll have a guy around who can be a good public advocate for the party, and since Obama is pretty much a party player to the core I doubt he'll have any issue helping sell, say, Ellison's agenda.

Can you actually articulate why it's BAD he's going to stay around because most of the arguments I see hinge on some neoliberal conspiracy where the serpent Obama is going to kill the party for reasons.

Obama and the neoliberals are like Lennie, unaware of their own strength as they crush the windpipe of the democratic party puppy

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

should have posted when factsareuseless was around, he would change your name real quick

to something you wouldn't like but still

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

GlyphGryph posted:

Hell, even I like Obama. Obama was cool, and seems like a good guy, but I think he has made a number of bad decisions for the future of the party and for the future of the country, and he's pursued some policies I don't like, and I think he would be better in a support or cheerleading role or a "retired statesmen" role than he would be guiding the party and seen as a leadership figure. Someone people talk about fondly but who doesn't really have a direct say in moving the party forward.

obama is a bad president

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

obama is a bad president
*precedent

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah well FAU is a known wiseacre and smart aleck

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

the internet has become incredibly tied into our lives, but I don't think we're quite at the point where out of work auto workers have to wade through blatant skeletonism in their daily life

"I got off my twelve hour shift and need to sit down and plan my family budget to be sure we have money for food but hey before that let me just wade through Twitter to see what MTV thinks...holy poo poo...WHITE PEOPLE ARE BEING TALKED ABOUT??? That's it! TRUMP!" ~ A thing that some people genuinely believe happened

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Obama is poor at advocating for people or positions other than himself. His presidency and the residual effects are evidence of that. Ergo, Obama in a leading role will most likely lead to him remaining personally popular while in reality effecting no positive reversal for the Democrats. That's my belief.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Jk I never saw it

One more post about this, when people say "it's not ABOUT winning people over, because anyone who doesn't already agree with me is beyond hope" I die a little inside

they're basically saying "it's not ABOUT actually making a difference, it's about making me feel superior to others" and if you point out that that's a dumb masturbatory waste of time you are tone policing and therefore wrong

Al! posted:

it makes me really happy the left is whole hog embracing terms rush limbaugh made up while high on oxy 20 years ago

I don't think this is a generalized "left" trend, no

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't see the problem in Obama sticking around. And I'd question what he has actively done to cause the massive Democratic losses other than having a pulse. It's not like he forced the state parties to nominate terrible candidates for Senate and Governor, he didn't cause those candidates to run away from him in 2010 and 2014, and I question what he could have done differently to somehow stop Republicans from using him as a lightning rod for criticism for 8 years.

The fact remains that he is popular, he is a charismatic speaker, and he will do a good job as a high-level surrogate for Democrats in the future. This notion that somehow he's going to sabotage reform efforts from within should Ellison gain the DNC chairmanship sounds a little tinfoil-hattish to me.

Fritz Coldcockin has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Dec 20, 2016

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Having your legacy be "better than Trump" is kinda sad.although thats one more acomplisment Obama has over Hilary i guess.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
for real though, you've still mistaken my statement for "more" substantial debate vs "substantial debate". I want people to take their arguments not too seriously but simulatenously not be so lazy about it

I can see your characterization of the differing arguments and I could try and figure out a few ways to approach it, but I definitely, definitely don't want to. I think that would be incredibly gross and not C-SPAM like at all. You're seeking a level of substantial debate that is generally frowned upon and then attack when you don't receive it, does that make sense? I'm not defending the lovely posters itt though, don't get me wrong.

What I'm trying to say is that if you want a real debate, there are like... 5 debate threads on politics in D&D right now

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yeah but in d&d if you say "give unemployed a basic income" you get 10 posters frothing at the mouth treating you as if you spoke the 14 words

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I prefer the term "regressive left." with economic being the implied subject.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

To weigh in on the Obama debate: I'm torn on Obama.

On the one hand, he is absolutely extremely popular and a hue asset in terms of visibility and public appeal if he is leveraged correctly, and even though he didn't get everything done that he promised in 2008, he is still nominally a progressive champion who could be used to advocate for progressive ideals

On the other hand, you could say every one of those things about Bill loving Clinton, whose faction we allowed to stay in power due to his popularity, and look what they just loving did

When I hear people say "Michelle Obama should run for office!" I get super loving deja vu about the entire experience

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Sweden or Norway or one of those countries is doing UBI soon I am excited to see the results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gosh the whole point of that joke is that it never happens, ZDR!

It happened to me, though I didn't get what I originally wanted.

• Locked thread