Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Data Graham posted:

I always giggle when I'm following an Escape without 4wd, because there's this huge gaping hole in the rear suspension where the diff would go.

This massively confused me when I first saw a FWD escape and it looked like it was supposed to have a rear diff but just had a big hole instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

This massively confused me when I first saw a FWD escape and it looked like it was supposed to have a rear diff but just had a big hole instead.

I saw one that had the AWD badge that had obviously always been a FWD, someone got duped.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sears is having a sale on those nice locking adjustable wrenches that get mentioned in here once in a while. $15 for the 8 inch, $20 for the 10 inch, or $30 for a pack with the pair of them.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-extreme-grip-2pc-locking-adjustable-wrench-set/p-00942362000P

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do I get more with the rubber handle because it looks more ergonomic, or do I keep the standard metal ones because I occasionally hammer on them?

Both mean failure, but I love the tool too drat much.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Data Graham posted:

I always giggle when I'm following an Escape without 4wd, because there's this huge gaping hole in the rear suspension where the diff would go.

Same goes for rav4/CRV. It's almost funnier when you see one that is AWD, since the rear axles are tiny. It can't possibly send more than 15% of the power to the back end or else the axles would twist them off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best is when you talk to people owning those vehicles. The reasoning is always "well I wanted something that was safer for the winter" or some variant along those lines.

And they are always the morons creeping along at 5mph the instant there's been a snowflake sighting or digging their vehicle out of the ditch they got stuck in.

Sometimes I try to tell them to spend their money on better tires instead but we all know that never goes anywhere.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I read gud

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

The best is when you talk to people owning those vehicles. The reasoning is always "well I wanted something that was safer for the winter" or some variant along those lines.

And they are always the morons creeping along at 5mph the instant there's been a snowflake sighting or digging their vehicle out of the ditch they got stuck in.

Sometimes I try to tell them to spend their money on better tires instead but we all know that never goes anywhere.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ford did not take much time in making the Escape easy to repair or service.

I hear ya. Do a plug change on a Triton equipped F150 or Expedition with rear air.

To contribute a little bit with a jack experience, I'll tell you my dumbass story.

So my (new to me) German car required a jack pad. It is my first German car and frankly I was impressed because I feel it is a better design than reinforced pinch welds. So I buy a nice jack pad that "stays put" in the pocket so I can maneuver the floor jack under it.

I do a rear brake job. Take it out for some spirited runs to get the pads to bed in. You can guess what happens next. I notice the jack pad still there after the drive. Simple mistake but it could of ruined my day and could of killed someone.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

xzzy posted:

I actually have one and it is a beast with good winter tires on. I have another for work and it's awful in all season tires.

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes, it's directly behind the rear wheel and your only way to access it is to climb under the car. Due to the ride height, Ford decided against using jack points on the body of the vehicle and instead decided to put them on the rear trailing arms as close to the wheel as they could.

My brother's Escape snapped a rear shock at the top mount, so I had to help replace it. This was the stupidest loving thing about the whole process, trying to find a jack point after getting the vehicle up in the air with that dumb jack + trailing arm mount point to be okay working under the car. It took me a while to find a suitable place for a jack stand that was not the dumb trailing arm.

Also, the bottom shock mount bolt had some super weird head on it. It is like a 6 point bolt that they cut half the head off of, so you can't really use a regular socket on it and it started to spin when trying to undo the bolt. There's a metal tab on it that would probably hold it stationary enough against the knuckle if that bolt wasn't rusted, but up here in Canada that thing was almost impossible to get off and it bent that tab easily. gently caress that stupid vehicle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tires are huge. I was roaring past people all weekend around Chicago in my Prius because I actually buy good rubber.

Best was a four lane road, city hadn't plowed the outside lane so only the inside lane was clear. I'm rolling up and see four cars in a line creeping at 30 in a 50. Three of them are Jeeps.. couple Cherokees, and a Liberty. I swap to the snowy lane and blaze by like it was nothing. :smug:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cojawfee posted:

They have splined rear hubs as well

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

slurry_curry posted:

Same goes for rav4/CRV. It's almost funnier when you see one that is AWD, since the rear axles are tiny. It can't possibly send more than 15% of the power to the back end or else the axles would twist them off.

I love my toothpick axles

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The insurance company just finds another truck with the same frame break and welds the best front to the best rear and sells it back.

this is a joke, please dont murder me

Please, how are you ever going to find another truck with identical but reverse damage?

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

xzzy posted:

Tires are huge. I was roaring past people all weekend around Chicago in my Prius because I actually buy good rubber.

Best was a four lane road, city hadn't plowed the outside lane so only the inside lane was clear. I'm rolling up and see four cars in a line creeping at 30 in a 50. Three of them are Jeeps.. couple Cherokees, and a Liberty. I swap to the snowy lane and blaze by like it was nothing. :smug:

Same here. Having winter tires in Kansas City is a bit of a luxury, but then again so is having summer tires in the summer. I love pulling away from full sized trucks at stop lights in my little Sentra. When ever I highway commute home with them on and everyone is going 20-50 under I have flash backs to playing 90s arcade races where you're really just racing the clock and all the other cars are simply slow moving obstacles. Then I hum the Sega Rally Championship theme song to myself.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Gorilla Salad posted:

The supplied jack has a short handle which does not reach out from under the car.

This leaves the only options to reach it either putting your hands under the car from the side, or to lie down behind the car and reach under from there.

Naturally I replaced mine immediately with a bottle jack and length of steel pipe to make sure I am never in the position where I might be tempted to reach under a vehicle while it's on a jack.

The handle that's not in that picture? I hate to be that guy, but you DO know there's another piece that hooks into that hole on the right and acts as the handle, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ford did not take much time in making the Escape easy to repair or service.

To be fair Mazda did its part in engineering the vehicle. The Tribute had unique bodywork so I'm not sure if it was easier or not.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Left home for a meeting 10 minutes early in my 2009 Outback. 40 minutes for a 30 minute trip. 10 miles of gravel county road and then a short trip on the interstate into town. I get about 1 mile from the house and move to the edge of the road as a larger truck is coming the opposite direction.

Something must have fallen off a vehicle and migrated to the edge of the road. Still don't know what. I guess I got too close to the edge of the gravel road and found it. When I ran it over, I could hear it clap the underside of the fender a few times, but I could hear the air coming out fast. I can only see a chunk of it sticking out of the tire. What ever was flapping flew out/off. Can wait till I get another wheel, so when they knock the tire off, I can see what it was. I honestly think it was a tool like a screwdriver.

Was dressed in business attire, and still got it changed in 15 minutes, without getting dirty. Only 5 mins late into the meeting room. The boss says, "I was just about to ask where Tom was". Perfect timing.

New wheel is $130 delivered from eBay

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 21, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Back in 2009 I think it was I was heading home from Chicago in my 325i and near the Indiana line the left lane was unplowed but empty for miles while the rest of the lanes were a parking lot moving at 10 MPH. I had my Blizzaks on so I decided to see how well I could make my own path and found I could comfortably do 40ish in the unplowed lane. It was a total :smug: moment every time I'd see someone in a truck or SUV decide I had a good idea and try to follow me, only to end up pulling back in to the other lane a few hundred feet later as the couple other people who apparently also had good tires caught up with them. That definitely cut at least an hour of sitting in traffic out of my trip home.

If I ever win Powerball I swear I'm going to commission some PSAs about winter tires and have them played during major TV events.

The word does seem to be slowly getting out, I've been using them for eight years now and in that time have noticed more and more vehicles using them every year. The number of nice cars I see rolling around on steelies this time of year makes me happy.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

evilskillit posted:

When ever I highway commute home with them on and everyone is going 20-50 under I have flash backs to playing 90s arcade races where you're really just racing the clock and all the other cars are simply slow moving obstacles. Then I hum the Sega Rally Championship theme song to myself.

Side note: Would you like to experience this feeling even in the summer? Do you perchance ride motorcycles?

If not, you should, cause this is how we all feel all the time :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Godholio posted:

The handle that's not in that picture? I hate to be that guy, but you DO know there's another piece that hooks into that hole on the right and acts as the handle, right?

No, that's a fair question. The handle is barely a foot long.

Here's a much better picture I found on Ebay. The handle is the tiny curved bit at the base of the jack.

The handle and the tyre iron can theoretically join up but they're still not long enough or flexible enough to reach around the wheel and out from under the car.

Also, if you can manage to turn the Voltronned obscenity without it falling apart every half turn, then you're a better man than I.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 21, 2016

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Beach Bum posted:

Side note: Would you like to experience this feeling even in the summer? Do you perchance ride motorcycles?

If not, you should, cause this is how we all feel all the time :v:

I do not, but I would like to. I'm saving up for another house right now, so not sure when I'd be able to afford a bike.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Gorilla Salad posted:

No, that's a fair question. The handle is barely a foot long.

Here's a much better picture I found on Ebay. The handle is the tiny curved bit at the base of the jack.

The handle and the tyre iron can theoretically join up but they're still not long enough or flexible enough to reach around the wheel and out from under the car.

Also, if you can manage to turn the Voltronned obscenity without it falling apart every half turn, then you're a better man than I.

No question, they're a pain to maneuver. My jeep came with the same setup, but there's a third piece to make it long enough.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

re. snow tire chat, out of curiosity, how do chains compare to snow tires?

I grew up in Canada and know very well how much of a difference the right tires make when the roads get white. But now I live in California. I'm considering going up in the mountains in January, past the point where chains are required. I have a set for my car (a ZX2 that I'm comfortable driving in the Canadian winter with the proper tires) but I've never tried them before. What should I expect?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

re. snow tire chat, out of curiosity, how do chains compare to snow tires?

I grew up in Canada and know very well how much of a difference the right tires make when the roads get white. But now I live in California. I'm considering going up in the mountains in January, past the point where chains are required. I have a set for my car (a ZX2 that I'm comfortable driving in the Canadian winter with the proper tires) but I've never tried them before. What should I expect?

Chains will get you out of a lovely situation, winter tires will usually keep you from getting into one.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Chains are also only for low speed use. It's not like you can put them on and then drive over a highway pass with mixed dry pavement and snowy conditions.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CharlesM posted:

To be fair Mazda did its part in engineering the vehicle. The Tribute had unique bodywork so I'm not sure if it was easier or not.

You can answer your question with the following 100% true statement:

There Is Literally Nothing Good About The Mazda Tribute.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Memento posted:

No, it's not

the greatest car in the wo-orld

no, it's just a Tribute

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Memento posted:

It did result in this sticker, which makes me laugh when I see it.

e:f;b

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Memento posted:

I love Mazda, but...

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ola posted:

It would be interesting to try balancing that single axle, segway-ish dumper truck front end with brake and throttle.

e: assuming the front wheels are driven of course. If not, it would perhaps be less interesting but more challenging.

Stuff that big usually has diesel-electric drive, with a motor in each wheel. I at least some of the biggest are, anyway (LeTourneau makes one of the biggest and first patented the tech).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://ktla.com/2016/12/22/big-rig-lands-on-gold-line-tracks-following-crash-on-eastbound-210-freeway-in-pasadena/

Hey kids it's raining in Southern California.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently in California "big-rig" is the only valid term for a semi.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It kinda is :shrug: I always treated it as a synonym.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Apparently in California "big-rig" is the only valid term for a semi.

And they also think they have the handling/braking of a Porsche.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Data Graham posted:

It kinda is :shrug: I always treated it as a synonym.

It stands out to me when any one word gets repeated too often, it feels like lazy writing. I might be a sperg.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

These are the meth heads you share the road with.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I call em "18-wheelers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

cursedshitbox posted:

And they also think they have the handling/braking of a Porsche.

Any abrupt input sends em off the outside of the corner, sounds about right :v: