Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This is just so wrong.

Dude, look at who you're quoting and move on with your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Santa Clause scares the poo poo out of me unlike any horror-film because it isn't meant to be scary, it's a family-film, but it's about a guy who is forced to assume a persona with no way to back out. He loses all freedom to lead a normal life and is moulded, physically and mentally, into fulfilling a role. And when he dies none of the people in his circle are gonna give a poo poo because he's not a man, but a vessel, and an expendable one at that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Patattack posted:

I always assumed that the problem was that in POTC1, they wrote Sparrow as a regular pirate character, and then Johnny Depp brought a totally different characterization than they expected. Then in the sequels, they knew exactly what they were working with, and they knew people liked it, so they wrote specifically to emphasize that character and it felt overdone as a result.

I think the main issue is that Will and Elizabeth are the ostensible protagonists in the first movie and Jack is basically the wacky comic relief crossed with being Will's mentor. He was the breakout character so he became the lead for the sequels, when the character isn't necessarily built for it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Spoken like someone who has played one hand of strip poker in college. This is just so wrong.

I know. That's what I was saying. That's how poker is portrayed on TV shows all the time and it's annoying. I was adding to yeah I eat rear end's list of complaints about poker in TV shows and movies.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tiggum posted:

I know. That's what I was saying. That's how poker is portrayed on TV shows all the time and it's annoying. I was adding to yeah I eat rear end's list of complaints about poker in TV shows and movies.

Gotcha. It did sound too stupid to be believable, but then... goons...

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
All this talk about Liar Liar got me thinking of an IIMM of mine: the female lead's current paramour getting dumped for our male protagonist. Jerry seems like a good guy in general, but his only fault was that he couldn't connect to Max like Jim Carey's Fletcher could. So what happens in the end? It's implied that Audrey & Fletcher get back together. What about poor Jerry?

One of the worst movies that commits this sin is City of Angels*. Dr. Maggie Rice is already involved with Dr. Jordan Ferris but she ends up getting involved with the angel Seth. To make matters worse, she dies at the end after Seth decides to become human to be with her. It's not like Jordan was a bad person, but on a whim Maggie goes with Seth.

I will admit I like how Mrs. Doubtfire bucks this trend with Daniel & Miranda not getting back together. Yeah, Daniel still doesn't like Stu but he accepts that's who Miranda wants to be with & is happy for her.

*(never saw Wings of Desire so I can't compare the two).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Robin Williams, Sally Field, and the non-genocidal Chris Columbus were all divorcees, and they vetoed the idea of the parents getting remarried at the end of Mrs. Doubtfire, saying it would give children of divorced parents an unrealistic and false happy-message. On the other hand there's poo poo like 2012...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ant Man is also good about having the new stepdad be a cool and good dude who doesn't get broken up with at the end of the movie. Paul Rudd just wants to visit his kid, he shows no interest in trying to woo back his ex-wife.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah, too many movies really villainize step-dads one way or another. Either they are controlling and petty or spoil kids in ways their bio father can't /won't.

And I'm convinced Santa Clause works on highlander rules. Kill the current Santa, and gain the cumulative powers of all the Santas up to that point. Tim Allen's character would've practically been God Emperor of Dune in terms of Santa powers.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Personally I like the theory that Santa was sick of his job and faked his death to trick Tim Allen into taking over. The elves aren't sad because they were in on it and just happy their old boss finally got to retire.

The Santa Clause states that you can pass the mantle on when you can't do the job anymore by either "death or design".

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the main issue is that Will and Elizabeth are the ostensible protagonists in the first movie and Jack is basically the wacky comic relief crossed with being Will's mentor. He was the breakout character so he became the lead for the sequels, when the character isn't necessarily built for it.

The protagonists aren't built for it either. There's not a single interesting thing about Will and Elizabeth and once they got together those characters should have been retired. If you wanna make films about pirates dealing with spooky ghosts, Sparrow is the only character that makes sense to keep around. Instead, they took a fun, swashbuckling movie and then overconvulated the plot in an effort to try to make every character relevant in the sequels. Then you end up with poo poo like Elizabeth becoming the pirate king. The main problem with POTC is there never should have been any sequels at all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tenchi Muyo gets me wet posted:

One of the worst movies that commits this sin is City of Angels

Hey wait a mintue!

That's the movie with That. loving. Song.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CubanMissile posted:

The protagonists aren't built for it either. There's not a single interesting thing about Will and Elizabeth and once they got together those characters should have been retired. If you wanna make films about pirates dealing with spooky ghosts, Sparrow is the only character that makes sense to keep around. Instead, they took a fun, swashbuckling movie and then overconvulated the plot in an effort to try to make every character relevant in the sequels. Then you end up with poo poo like Elizabeth becoming the pirate king. The main problem with POTC is there never should have been any sequels at all.

Yes, I suppose that's true. That's what you get when your movie is based on a theme park ride, I suppose. :v:

I think the third one is the most expensive movie ever made if you just look at its budget, isn't it?

The movie that opened at number two behind POTC was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Now there was a missed opportunity. That movie could well have been the MCU about a decade early if it had been more competent. That's what everyone's trying to do now (that new Mummy movie is trying to do it for the classic Universal monsters; it's going to have Russell Crowe as Dr Jekyll, who's going to function as their Nick Fury analogue).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's what you get when your movie is based on a theme park ride, I suppose.

Well really it's what you get when you only plan for one movie and then it's unexpectedly popular and you have to come up with some justification for having the same characters come back for a sequel.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Penny Dreadful could have been everything League was supposed to be. Now I gotta wait for some new thing to come along that is everything Penny Dreadful should have been.
:negative:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad LXG was Connery's last movie role. I believe he was actually approached by Peter Jackson to play Gandalf before Ian McKellen but declined to do LXG because he'd enjoyed the Allan Quatermain books as a boy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jerusalem posted:

I rewatched Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels the other day and I was pretty amused to see the big 500k bet they make is based on the players having a pair of 6s and a pair of 7s respectively. Harry knows what Eddy has, but Eddy is still risking he and his friends money on that single pair, presumably because he thinks he can bluff Harry and gets in over his head when his choices get reduced to,"Lose everything" or "Take the loan and just hope like hell there's at least a 10% chance he might beat whatever Harry's holding."

I love that movie but that scene bugs me. They make a specific point of mentioning how skilled Eddy is at playing cards,

BARRY
EDDY been shaking the knees of a lot of good players. The boy has a
rare ability, he seems to make cards transparent, got bluffing dow-

HATCHET
(interrupts)
All right, all right, so we can say he is good.

BARRY
Better than good, he is a loving liability.

And of course his friends trust him with all their money.

But then he plays sitting with his hand off to his side where anyone behind him can see his cards, and goes worse-than-all-in with a pair of sixes, betting not just his and his friends' money but their balls as well against a known crooked gently caress who just displayed the biggest tell of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnWwbqP6dV4&t=17s

(A weird thing about the game they're playing, brag, is that three-of-a-kind is the highest ranked hand, with three threes being the best possible hand. So if you're dealt two sixes getting a third six turns your middling hand into a very strong one, but Eddy accepted the loan and made his dumb bet after he'd already received his third card).

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

In the second bill and Ted movie they call the devil a fag

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Xinlum posted:

And in Monster Squad the lovable hero kids call their principal a fag.

It's a depressing remnant of the era, and I wish it was dubbed out of the current dvds, ala the guns in ET.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Xinlum posted:

They call each other fags in the first one.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That is most heinous.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Along those lines I was really weirded out by that woman drummer in Scott Pilgrim calling Scott a retard. Like, no irony of hahaha-she's-being-horrible, just straight out calls him a retard and we're meant to take her side. :catstare:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Until Pope Benedict resigned I was always under the impression the new pope would absorb the dead pope's brain. I wish that stoner-comedy-in-the-Vatican pitched here got made, preferably by someone who's not Seth Rogen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rydiafan posted:

It's a depressing remnant of the era, and I wish it was dubbed out of the current dvds, ala the guns in ET.

Man if they did things like that Blazing Saddles would just go in a vault and never come back.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Xinlum posted:

Phanatic posted:

Which is why they wound up in hell to begin with, it all adds up.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

rydiafan posted:

There's so much homophobia in the start of Monster Squad I actually couldn't stand to watch it, recently. First 5 minutes someone is called a fag about seven times, it felt like.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

Man if they did things like that Blazing Saddles would just go in a vault and never come back.

I wouldn't do it to a film aimed at adults. But Monster Squad is a children's film, and shouldn't have casual slurs in it.

Kruller posted:

There's so much homophobia in the start of Monster Squad I actually couldn't stand to watch it, recently. First 5 minutes someone is called a fag about seven times, it felt like.

FWIW, they never do it again. It's all front-loaded into that first scene at school.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Phanatic posted:

You're a cigarette!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Kruller posted:

It's a yearly Halloween watch for me, and I always skip to about 15 minutes in.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Robin Williams, Sally Field, and the non-genocidal Chris Columbus were all divorcees, and they vetoed the idea of the parents getting remarried at the end of Mrs. Doubtfire, saying it would give children of divorced parents an unrealistic and false happy-message. On the other hand there's poo poo like 2012...

2012 is a satire, though?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2012 has the best final line in movie history.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Can't recall it. What was it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gotta spoil this so it doesn't ruin the experience for anyone else.

No more Pullups!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Gotta spoil this so it doesn't ruin the experience for anyone else.

No more Pullups!

Haha yes! I forgot about that gem.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

It also has the best line, period.

"The neutrinos are mutating!" :argh:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I liked the last line in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow the best. Almost redeemed that garbage film for me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The kid who plays Ron Weasley is just the ugliest loving dude

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a movie I was convinced for many years was a figment of my fevered dreams of yore until I randomly spotted it on a streaming service last year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Until Pope Benedict resigned I was always under the impression the new pope would absorb the dead pope's brain. I wish that stoner-comedy-in-the-Vatican pitched here got made, preferably by someone who's not Seth Rogen.

Eurotrip features stoner comedy in the Vatican, if that helps. It's even on topic for having the worst Italian accent in movie history, followed up by Nazi jokes in Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jedit posted:

Eurotrip features stoner comedy in the Vatican, if that helps. It's even on topic for having the worst Italian accent in movie history, followed up by Nazi jokes in Germany.

I hope you're not implying that movie is bad.