Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Larrymer posted:

turn down the FFB in the Thrustmaster config to 60-65%

This works just fine with TM wheels.

Note for Fanatec wheels: DO NOT do it this way. Always leave the driver force at 100%, and turn down the FFB in game. Unless they have rewritten their drivers in the past year-ish, this causes software clipping for Fanatecs. Instead of scaling all forces when the driver force is turned down, the driver just reduces the max force sent to the wheel but leaves the low forces as-is, essentially causing the signal to clip early.

I'm not sure off the top of my head if the same thing applies when turning down the settings in the wheel base tuning menu, but it's safest to just make the adjustments in-game and leave the driver and wheel menu forces at 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Norns posted:

Per car ffb is easy now. Just hit the auto button after a couple laps.

:captainpop:

You are a god.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Check out this epic simulator I just found!

(has an auto playing video, mute before clicking)

http://vracergame.com/

Choice quote: "If you think "Grand Turismo" is realistic, you ain't seen nothing yet!"

I kinda feel like maybe I shouldn't link to an obvious scam (apparently they took an old open source game and packaged it up trying to lure in idiots) but the page is just so drat funny to me.

It must be really bad because I couldn't find a single video anywhere of someone trying to play it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Someone is trying to sell Racer.nl's simulator I guess?

I'm pretty sure I recognize the engine/assets.

http://racer.nl/

The screenshot is even on both pages. http://racer.nl/dl_content.htm

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, these are the same people that took FlightGear (a free, open-source flight sim) and charged $97 ("marked down" from $197) for it calling it ProFlightSimulator. Mind you, X-plane, in its current beta build for version 11 is more feature complete and is $60.

Thread on Race Department about it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

no bones about it posted:

Yeah stepping up to belt drive from gear-driven is p naice. No deadzones makes catching slides and fine steering control much easier to pull off, and it helps that the motors in the T300 are really strong. The only thing ive had come close to maxing out the wheel is iracing, it nearly ripped the wheel out of my hand when I splatted into the outside wall at 200mph. As it was one of the monitors fell off the back of my computer desk.

I cant imagine how much stronger direct-drive setups are.

I love my t300

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

xzzy posted:

Check out this epic simulator I just found!

(has an auto playing video, mute before clicking)

http://vracergame.com/

Choice quote: "If you think "Grand Turismo" is realistic, you ain't seen nothing yet!"

I kinda feel like maybe I shouldn't link to an obvious scam (apparently they took an old open source game and packaged it up trying to lure in idiots) but the page is just so drat funny to me.

It must be really bad because I couldn't find a single video anywhere of someone trying to play it.

This is like an "as seen on TV" type product in internet form.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

:siren: PORSCHE PACK 3 JUST DROPPED FOR ASSETTO CORSA :siren:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Kilonum posted:

:siren: PORSCHE PACK 3 JUST DROPPED FOR ASSETTO CORSA :siren:

HOLY gently caress IT HAD PIT SETTINGS AND PIT CREW NOW!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Custom championships added in as well!

Man good day for Sims today.

Gotta fire up rfactor2 tonight and try out the oval changes and stuff.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Norns posted:

Custom championships added in as well!

Man good day for Sims today.

Gotta fire up rfactor2 tonight and try out the oval changes and stuff.

You're still turning left, nothing changed :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steam Winter Sale is on, usual discounts mostly but a few things are cheaper than usual. Automobilista is $16 which is a fair bit lower than it has been in past sales and rFactor 2 is on sale for the first time for $16 as well. Much easier to recommend that now they've ditched the online pass.

For lighter racing, Race Driver GRID is free on the Humble Store until Sunday.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Project Cars and Dirt Rally are also on sale. I might pick up Dirt.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Project Cars and Dirt Rally are also on sale. I might pick up Dirt.

Pick up dirt.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Norns posted:

Pick up dirt.

:agreed:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Norns posted:

Pick up dirt.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Logitech G29 is on sale for 200 on Amazon

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh yeah rF2 licenced the 2013 Nissan GT500 and also it's out now.

https://twitter.com/rFactor2/status/812294712094756864

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

R factor 2 crashes when I try to configure controll settings.

Good poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

AMS end of year dev update at last.

- Formula Truck DLC will be out as DLC next week, $6 or free if you own Formula Truck 2013. Only the 2013 season initially but the 2016/17 liveries will be come in the future.
- Caterham Supersport is being added as well if you own the Brit Pack.
- Next DLC will be loving Adelaide in both 1988 F1 and 2016 V8 Supercars layouts.
- Hockenheim is also coming, in 1972, 1988, 2001 and 2016 versions.
- Divisao 3 will be the next car DLC, an old Brazilian touring car series with loving old Beetles and Ford Mavericks.
- Also they're teasing a mystery car for the 1.2 update and most people seem to think it's gonna be loving Kartcross.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Divisao 3 sounds hilarious.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Anyone know if you can easily mount an Accuforce to a Fanatec CSL seat? Just... you know... if someone had some money to burn.

Also, mid January I'm gonna pick up AMS MP again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You'll have to make some kind of adapter plate most likely.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
With a steel drill bit, I bet you could make it work. That seat looks strong enough to handle a DD wheel.

One of the reasons I got a CSL wheel instead of saving for OSW was my cockpit. I really don't think PVC has the strength to handle that much torque, so I would have to buy a pre-built cockpit or drop a bunch of cash on 80/20.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The problem is how the wheel is mounted on the cockpit. The wheel gets attached to a small metal box. You'd only be able to attach two screws on the accuforce mount. You'd have to make a plate that has the four holes for the CSL seat and another four holes for the accuforce.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If anyone needs a wheel, G29s sans shifter are going for $265 USD on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0UWWYC/

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Minto Took posted:

If anyone needs a wheel, G29s sans shifter are going for $265 USD on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0UWWYC/

do these playstation wheels, which don't work on xbox, work in forza 6 apex?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They might. It's free so you might as well try it. If you're buying a wheel and your only reason to use it is Forza, then there's really no point in getting a wheel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Formula Truck is out for AMS, $6 or free if you have Formula Truck 2013 already. There's also the Formula Dirt which is a Formula Vee with a bodykit and dirt tires and therefore awesome, plus a new dirt track Ascarra which is also pretty cool.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not sure if anybody is in the Detroit area but I'm selling my old G27 cockpit setup since my new wheel/shifter didn't work with it. Goon discount to $300. I bought it this way and if I were to mess with it more I'd stiffen up the pedal mount and mount the pedals better/more evenly (:effort:) and maybe redo the seat risers (2x4s) so the height it right for my setup.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/vgm/5939806901.html

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 31, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Minto Took posted:

Welp I just ordered this because Dirt: Rally is an absolute fucker with a controller.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

T300 Ferrari Alcantara mini review: (Disclaimer, I've only tried this with iRacing so far.) FFB is nice and much smoother and much easier to drive smooth with vs. the G27. I'm still dialing it in because I still get random clipping in iRacing even when using their "auto" setting and dialing down below that. Otherwise, I like it so far but needs a little tweaking. The wheel itself is baller as gently caress and I love the little rocker switch that I use for brake bias. There aren't as many convenient and close buttons as the G27 and not having a rev indicator on the wheel is something I didn't think I'd miss as much as I do. With my FOV, I can rarely see the cluster to know where I'm at in the rev range. There's a D pad on the wheel which I'm not sure what to map to yet, but I think you can map at least 4 or 8 things to it. The paddle shifters feel nicer (metal vs plastic) but don't give a satisfying click when engaging the next gear. You barely feel the detent and just hear it moreso.

The T3PA pedals (non-pro, but 3 pedal set) that were included with my set are ok, but the springs for throttle and clutch are very light. The brake pedal has a conical rubber piece mounted behind it for more realistic feel which is interesting. It does feel more realistic than any of the springs I've tried on my G27 (stock and GTeye). You can adjust how much travel there is before it hits the cone, but once you get to it the resistance increases exponentially and is a little too stiff IMO. Still dialing that travel distance in as well. I mounted these in my cockpit so it doesn't move but I'm still thinking of going back to inverted G27 pedals and GTEye springs that I was using before. Or just :shepspends: and buy Fanatecs.

The TH8A add-on shifter is nice and doesn't feel like a cheap toy. However, the shifter resistance is way too light even at full stiff adjustment and I will probably wrap a billion rubber bands down in it on the shifter arm to fix that. The 7 speed shift plate is kind of dumb since there are about 2 cars I know of that use a 7 speed manual, so I'm trying to get a 3d printed 6 speed gate made up to replace it and swap out. It's hard to hit 5th gear with the low shifter resistance and I'm not used to having to think more than "all the way to the right and up" to get there. I also didn't realize that using the shifter plugged into the wheel doesn't allow you to use the H shifter (sequential only I guess) unless it's plugged in via USB which is bullshit. It's not a huge deal but it isn't documented anywhere so I wasn't expecting it.

All in all I'm no faster with this wheel/pedals/shifter and way less consistent since I'm still adjusting to them and the cockpit I just built which is much different than my old setup. Old setup had me sitting way too low and the wheel was too high, the pedals were all oddly spaced but I was used to it. Now I'm where I should be once I raise the monitors slightly. I need to get back into racing more regularly so once accustomed I have nothing else to blame for spending money and still being bad. :v:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You can buy all the gear in the world and still suck at cars.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yep, I'm not blaming the wheel for what I've known for awhile.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Another little review that might be relevant to some folks. I was looking for a triple monitor stand for my setup and found something cheap that works pretty well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A038O9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This allowed me to clear up some desk space and also set the height correctly for my monitors. I have 2 of the same 24"and 1 different brand 24" with an unlevel table/house so it's always been an exercise in shimming monitors or sides of monitors to try and get them straight in respect to each other. This works with monitors up to 27" so I figured it would allow me more space on the sides to get a better side angle needed for sim racing (since I only have 24's) and it does. It's solid and easy to put together but it's a pain to set up and keep it that way. There's a ton of places where the joints can move but they can mostly be locked down once you get it right. Height it adjustable independently between all 3, but the two outer ones have to be fairly close since they're on the same arm. They can each adjust up/down about 1-2" independently while the center slides up and down on it's own.

The stand cutout shape is good for my T300 (sold the G27 so I can't test it) and lets me mount the wheel to the desk and move the stand very close to the edge of the desk. I still think the closest my eyes are is about 28-29" which isn't terrible, probably gained 4-5" towards the screen vs normal stands (sides would reach the edge before the center could be moved any closer), increasing my FOV. I sit more relaxed in my seat though, but I can't imagine getting much closer than a few inches over this setup.

I still have yet to actually try it with any sims but I'm pleased with it otherwise. I've been spending way more time tweaking my cockpit than racing lately. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 5, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Found on /r/dirtgame:

"My experience with Dirt Rally so far..."
https://gfycat.com/JoyousFastFallowdeer

edit: hmm, apparently gfycat doesn't embed properly like imgur does? imgur won't take this clip, it's too long.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 7, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wolrah posted:

Found on /r/dirtgame:

"My experience with Dirt Rally so far..."
https://gfycat.com/JoyousFastFallowdeer

edit: hmm, apparently gfycat doesn't embed properly like imgur does? imgur won't take this clip, it's too long.

That's pretty much what Dirt Rally is all about though.

E: got the first 15s of it on imgur

http://i.imgur.com/e1nfCwG.gifv

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 7, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

KidDynamite posted:

Welp I just ordered this because Dirt: Rally is an absolute fucker with a controller.

the game is practically drive on rails you don't need anything more than a controllee unless you want to use your clutch kicks to top the global leaderboards.

after a few hours in it will automatically adjust the difficulty based on your times.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

https://www.twitch.tv/eleaguetv
sim racers vs actual race car drivers in Formula E cars in rFactor2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kilonum posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/eleaguetv
sim racers vs actual race car drivers in Formula E cars in rFactor2

Olli Pahkala, the driver who "won", got 6 laps worth of fan boost instead of just 6 seconds of fan boost because the guys who ran the event hosed up with whatever lovely mod they installed.

Look at laps 10-15.

He got penalized 12 seconds and is no longer winning $200,000, not sure what place he ended up finishing, but 2nd place is $100k, 3rd is $50k, it drops off slower from there.