Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
You must be in a dream :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

the zen meta was not tank heavy tho

you ran a dive comp with genji/tracer when zen was at his best and rein wasn't even that common compared to winston/zarya

The Zen meta wasn't tank-heavy because pre-nerf Discord meant that HP was no longer a defense against attacks and that taking out the Zen was an absolute priority, which drove the use of fast, evasive flankers who Zen couldn't escape from and had a hard time hitting.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been playing a lot of Bastion and D.Va, think I've got them figured out. I'm pretty balls with anyone else though, but I feel like I'm hogging those two and should diversify a bit. Any suggestions on who I should learn next?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RickVoid posted:

Been playing a lot of Bastion and D.Va, think I've got them figured out. I'm pretty balls with anyone else though, but I feel like I'm hogging those two and should diversify a bit. Any suggestions on who I should learn next?

Soldier, Ana, Lucio

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RickVoid posted:

Bastion is really fun but he's so easy to kill. You can't sit still for long but there's only so many times you can get up and go to a new spot before the other team basically has all your spots covered. He's also not great on attack unless you have a really good team supporting you. But man is it fun mowing down people that cross your path. Especially larger characters like Roadhog or Winston. Very satisfying sound effects and watching the heath meter go down. Though the game in general is really good with the sound + health bar going down combo, especially with characters like Ana or Tracer.

D.Va though is all around a beast and people still don't know how to deal with multiple of them at once. I do miss the days of ending the night in Quick Play with my friends doing all D.Vas and easily dominating

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If you've been playing less mobile characters maybe trying to learn a Lucio, Sombra, or Tracer will help send your wheelhouse in the total opposite direction.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Soldier, Ana, Lucio

I'm pretty poo poo with Soldier. Any tips? I'll run a couple of matches with Lucio and Ana to get a feel for them.

Macaluso posted:

Bastion is really fun but he's so easy to kill. You can't sit still for long but there's only so many times you can get up and go to a new spot before the other team basically has all your spots covered. He's also not great on attack unless you have a really good team supporting you. But man is it fun mowing down people that cross your path. Especially larger characters like Roadhog or Winston. Very satisfying sound effects and watching the heath meter go down. Though the game in general is really good with the sound + health bar going down combo, especially with characters like Ana or Tracer.

D.Va though is all around a beast and people still don't know how to deal with multiple of them at once. I do miss the days of ending the night in Quick Play with my friends doing all D.Vas and easily dominating

I play Bastion as an rear end in a top hat MachineGun Sniper. Find a spot the enemy is likely to run past and not look at, shoot them all from behind, relocate to new rear end in a top hat location and repeat. Sticking Bastion on a mobile objective in turret mode with a cooperative Mercy and Reinhardt is loving hilarious too, though.

I play D.Va like I imagine most people play Tracer; get behind the enemy Team, rack up a bunch of surprise kills, then Ult+Charge my mech-missile into the group. She makes a pretty great distraction while the rest of the team pushes through.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 20, 2016

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

RickVoid posted:

I'm pretty poo poo with Soldier. Any tips? I'll run a couple of matches with Lucio and Ana to get a feel for them.

For Soldier, threaten from high ground until someone has to deal with you, and when they dive, sprint to a safe location and 1v1 them with heal as necessary.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

burst fire if you're shooting at something that isn't right in your face, aim for the head, use the helix rocket to finish things when you've got someone hurt. remember that your self heal can also heal teammates and that gives you ult charge

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In addition to above soldier tips, turn your sensitivity down (I was initially against this, but it helps). Burst fire. Always be shooting something, even if its just a rein shield. Keep that thing low so he can't use it properly. A five shot burst to the head will kill any 200hp character. That's unlucky, but it really hammers down the fact that you do not have to spray to kill a lot of characters.

If you see a roadhog shoot that fucker as much as possible when you can to build your ult.

E: F;b

Also, aim your rockets AT THE FLOOR. They have a small splash and you're going to do more consistent damage that way.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think a bit ago someone did the math and it always does more damage going full auto instead of burst firing unless you're at significantly long range

does sort of require better tracking though since it's constant

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Does damaging Rein's shield charge ult?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Does damaging Rein's shield charge ult?

damage to shields does not charge ult

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Specifically damage to non-health shields

So Rein's barrier, D.Va's defense matrix, Mei's ice wall, and zarya's bubbles do not charge ult. Shooting someone who has health that is shields like zarya or symmertra does charge ult.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dietrich posted:

So I've been on an 11 game winning streak while tracking my comp rating, it turns out that the points per game skyrockets like crazy after 5 wins or so. I have noticed no correlation between in game stats or favored/underdog rating and the amount of points I get. It seems to be entirely based on the win streak.

pre:
2016-12-11
L1   2451   (-17)
W1   2476   (+25) 
W2   2501   (+25)
W3   2534   (+33)

2016-12-12
W4   2572   (+38)
W5   2617   (+45)
W6   2683   (+66)

2016-12-14
W7   2749   (+66)

2016-12-16
W8   2837   (+88)

2016-12-17
W9   2915   (+88)
W10  3039   (+124)

2016-12-19
W11  3189   (+150)
So now I'm doing the whole "spend an hour warming up" before you play thing to keep the win streak going. I just can't believe I blew through plat in 9 games.

Yeah the system is too clever for it's own good and streaks (win or loss) effect it way too much.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah the system is too clever for it's own good and streaks (win or loss) effect it way too much.

I think streaks giving more points is meant to put you in your 'proper' SR more quickly since if you're streaking there's a good chance you're not at your proper SR. But it's also possible you're just having a bad/good day or you're teaming up with friends of lower/higher SR and that will swing things around wildly in terms of win/loss ratio. Everyone's had a day where they just can't kill a drat thing and just constantly gently caress up, and everyone's had a day where they're suddenly a god incarnate, snapping off twitch headshots like it's nothing. Generally though after a few games at your average performance you'll swing back up/down to your proper SR.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I think a bit ago someone did the math and it always does more damage going full auto instead of burst firing unless you're at significantly long range

does sort of require better tracking though since it's constant
Is that including the extra reloads you'll need to do if you're spraying?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not sure actually, but I doubt it'd change what you should do because you usually want damage to be as bursty as possible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Win streaks are a trade-off of accuracy for newbie protection. They suck and dilute match quality but on the other hand anyone who plays the game long enough to be affected by this has already made it past the point where players are most likely to quit.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
after play ing for the first time i can safely say that dva is good and im glad i picked her as my hero which i can never change or deviate from for any reason

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Up Circle posted:

after play ing for the first time i can safely say that dva is good and im glad i picked her as my hero which i can never change or deviate from for any reason

What if someone else picks D.va first?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

What if someone else picks D.va first?

you leave the game and play arcade 6v6 instead

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

So, Tracer's gay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dietrich posted:

So, Tracer's gay.

Well yeah she's an Overwatch character this is well documented.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
New comic: http://comic.playoverwatch.com/en-us/tracer-reflections

It's good + cute

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Emily's going to get killed in a comic or short to advertise an expansion you heard it here first.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dietrich posted:

So, Tracer's gay.

Everyone is gay for redheads.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
this is terrible news, i was only straight for Tracer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tracer is cool and all but they clearly buried the lede

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pretty rad that Reaper is a canonically a cuck.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tracer is cool and all but they clearly buried the lede

everyday that we don't get a short titled "Junkrat and Roadhog's Excellent Adventure" is a day that blizzard personally insults the whole fanbase

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Wait did Tracer and her girlfriend walk from King's Row to loving Gibraltar or something

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Up Circle posted:

Naw my friend. Learn lots of characters/

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wait did Tracer and her girlfriend walk from King's Row to loving Gibraltar or something

Nah, he has a lab in Kings Row that you see in the Attack spawn room.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Reinhardt and Torb on page 10...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

comic kind of adds more fuel to "76 is pharah's father"

also reinhardt confirmed as mack daddy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MinibarMatchman posted:

comic kind of adds more fuel to "76 is pharah's father"

also reinhardt confirmed as mack daddy

You can see her father in her panel (the dude with his back to the camera with the greying hair)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

flatluigi posted:

You can see her father in her panel (the dude with his back to the camera with the greying hair)

That's her Dad? I thought that was a team mate of hers, assuming she still the captain of that Squad from her comic.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Trast posted:

Nah, he has a lab in Kings Row that you see in the Attack spawn room.

Which raises the question of why Winston is engineering genocide against London's robot population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Supercar Gautier posted:

Which raises the question of why Winston is engineering genocide against London's robot population.

One too many Harambe memes.