Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Gutter Owl posted:

Anyone have a report on Adrenaline yet? I'm very easily dazzled by CGE's slick productions, but I want goonpinions before I start pining in earnest.

My big worry is that the underlying euro might be too simple, and the optimal play on any given turn might be too obvious. Thoughts?

Solid but unremarkable. Very reliant on theme, and 5 players takes longer than you'd want to play for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Going to play my first game of Orleans:Invasion today. Would it be okay to play the co-op mode even if some of the players don't already know the base game?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lordsummerisle posted:

Going to play my first game of Orleans:Invasion today. Would it be okay to play the co-op mode even if some of the players don't already know the base game?

If you don't mind losing. It's probably a good way to teach the game.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

If you don't mind losing. It's probably a good way to teach the game.

I would be a bit disappointed if we won it on our first try, frankly.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
So, I don't know what moved me to do so, but I've dropped the AU$240 to order Napoleon's Triumph.

Tek, I hope it's at least half as good as you say it is :P

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The End posted:

So, I don't know what moved me to do so, but I've dropped the AU$240 to order Napoleon's Triumph.

Don't worry, it's twice as good!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The End posted:

Mother of god... I thought Canadians had a rough go of it with prices but $240

goddamn!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The End posted:

Should have just bought a $20 Stratego set IMHO.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

goddamn!

When you consider the conversion rate, 150 USD (the going price for the game after the recent stock sale) is about 210 AU plus shipping.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The End posted:

You do have someone to play with, right?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

silvergoose posted:

You do have someone to play with, right?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man, good one

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man, good one

Yeah but NT is actually *not* a great solo game. It's just the best 2 player game ever made.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

lordsummerisle posted:

It might be ideal to use as a teaching game, since you don't have to worry about other people stealing your poo poo. You can all discuss who should get what and when, which can then translate into the adversarial game easily. Also Invasion is hard as poo poo. It took us 3 tries and a hell of a lot of teamwork to win it our first time.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Is Inis ok for two? Thinking of buying it for a couple who plays games similar to this thread.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

sonatinas posted:

Is Inis ok for two? Thinking of buying it for a couple who plays games similar to this thread.

I think it's really good for two people, but it's pretty competitive feeling at two and not super chill like a lot of two-player board games.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

angel opportunity posted:

I think it's really good for two people, but it's pretty competitive feeling at two and not super chill like a lot of two-player board games.

Yeah, it's very good as a two player, but only for people who are willing to be very competitive. In a 2 player game, it is very much about active denial of your opponent's moves.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Played my first game of 7 Wonders Duel with my gf the other night. Towards the end of the game I was sitting at 5 Science and she was at 4, sniping them from me when possible. She was a solid 10+ points ahead of me towards the end of the 3rd age, and then I was able to force her into buying a Science that would have given me the win.... only to reveal a Science that gave me the win. It felt like a kind of lovely victory for what was at least a decent little tableau builder up till that point. We'll try it again, but if that kind of thing is the norm we'll probably stick with Patchwork.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Big McHuge posted:

Played my first game of 7 Wonders Duel with my gf the other night. Towards the end of the game I was sitting at 5 Science and she was at 4, sniping them from me when possible. She was a solid 10+ points ahead of me towards the end of the 3rd age, and then I was able to force her into buying a Science that would have given me the win.... only to reveal a Science that gave me the win. It felt like a kind of lovely victory for what was at least a decent little tableau builder up till that point. We'll try it again, but if that kind of thing is the norm we'll probably stick with Patchwork.

7 Wonders Duel and Patchwork are tremendous two-player games. Patchwork is for anyone and 7 Wonders for anyone that has some limited experience in gaming or has played original.

I got to play my first ever game of Twilight Imperium III with the Shattered Empire expansion. We played with a preconstructed galaxy and 5p. I had a great time even though I was profoundly hungover and didn't really understand what I was doing. For a game that last six and a half hours it really just flew by. The only parts that dragged were people forgetting who's turn it was and minutes ticking by while everyone was absorbed in their own plans without noticing that no one had taken a turn. Thankfully we had a veteran that was doing a good job refereeing and guiding us all along. I got demolished points-wise but had quite the fleet making it's way across the universe.

And last night I got to play Amerigo with 3p. Very interesting little Stefan Feld game. You use the dice tower to toss cubes related to each round's colour. What comes out lets you know A) the amount of actions you can take based on the highest pile of whatever colour that popped out and B) which action you can perform based on the colour of the cubes themselves. Anyway, you basically toss cubes into the tower and do what you think works for you as you sail ships around various islands where you set up shop and can then buy and place a series of tetris-y tiles to fill up the island in order to receive bonuses and points... Sound familiar?

If you like Feast for Odin I think you should at least try Amerigo because it plays like a streamlined version of the game. This isn't necessarily a positive or a negative, it's just my observation. Also, it's a very nicely produced game even if the goods tokens should've been meeples as far as I'm concerned, rather than the little cardboard chits. Overall, I really enjoyed it and would be more than happy to try it again. I think if you could get a group to play it and then gauge their reaction it could be a nice gateway drug to Rosenberg greatness.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

Well the distribution is like this: 4 unique symbols in age 1, age 2 is a duplicate of age 1, and 2 sets of 2 unique symbols in age 3. So you getting science victory means you got every card you needed and the 3 cards from each Age didn't kill off a necessary science.

In effect, a science victory is the hardest to achieve so don't feel bad by it. Your girlfriend also messed up by sniping you because she couldn't get the last 2 symbols to win unless her wonder + guild provided them. She probably could've got a military victory before you got a science victory unless you also built up military somewhere in there.

I wouldn't feel bad. It was part luck that all the science you needed was there and then player skill filling out the rest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Played Carcassonne with a group that was super chill and not confrontational at all and blew there minds when I played a blocking play. They proceeded to tell me I played like a dick and I won handily. Suckers.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I'm doing my Christmas shopping lately. Want to get my brother and his wife a game. I'm getting them other things they actually asked for too, but I always like to throw in extra poo poo. Any recommendations on games? Not sure what is popular or good these days. Something that can be played 2-player, though it wouldn't necessarily have to be 2-player only. Also maybe something small that I can cram into a bag of gifts.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Patchwork.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FulsomFrank posted:

I got to play my first ever game of Twilight Imperium III with the Shattered Empire expansion. We played with a preconstructed galaxy and 5p. I had a great time even though I was profoundly hungover and didn't really understand what I was doing. For a game that last six and a half hours it really just flew by. The only parts that dragged were people forgetting who's turn it was and minutes ticking by while everyone was absorbed in their own plans without noticing that no one had taken a turn. Thankfully we had a veteran that was doing a good job refereeing and guiding us all along. I got demolished points-wise but had quite the fleet making it's way across the universe.

"Huge fleets, low points" is the quintessential TI3 noobie experience so you were right on track.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Draxamus posted:

I'm doing my Christmas shopping lately. Want to get my brother and his wife a game. I'm getting them other things they actually asked for too, but I always like to throw in extra poo poo. Any recommendations on games? Not sure what is popular or good these days. Something that can be played 2-player, though it wouldn't necessarily have to be 2-player only. Also maybe something small that I can cram into a bag of gifts.

Without knowing what kinds of games he plays we can't really recommend anything. There is a lot out there. He could be a Cards against Humanity type, or a Warhammer disk wars type, or an Race for the galaxy type!

What I am saying is, get him all three of those games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Obviously Talisman.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What makes Napoleon's Triumph so good? What's it like to play?

Also a DGT Time Cube is great for making people aware whose turn it is.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So how did Love Letter Premium turn out? Considering a last minute purchase before the holidays.

Bottom Liner posted:

Played Carcassonne with a group that was super chill and not confrontational at all and blew there minds when I played a blocking play. They proceeded to tell me I played like a dick and I won handily. Suckers.
Good, they deserved it. Carcassonne is no place for the weak, the sooner they understand it, the better.

(But seriously, I don't understand people that have to play every game in the most non-confrontational way possible. I get that it's a popular game and a lot of people lack the strength of character and mental fortitude required don't like to play games super-competitively, but Carcassonne is such an obviously cutthroat game.)

Draxamus posted:

Patchwork
Hive Pocket (best in the sense of "most balanced" with the Pillbug expansion, although the Pillbug is very confusing at first)
Jaipur
Oh, and Carcassonne, actually.

Via Nebula is a safe bet if you want an actual board game.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 20, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I tend to describe it as Stratego's hidden armies, poker's bluffing, abstract strategy like chess, and a whole lot of tension.

Plus it's goddamn gorgeous.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

I tend to describe it as Stratego's hidden armies, poker's bluffing, abstract strategy like chess, and a whole lot of tension.

Plus it's goddamn gorgeous.

All of those things are part of Stratego, not just the hidden armies.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I bet Napoleon's Triumph is a lot harder to make out of cereal boxes than Stratego

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Since this is relatively relevant to the thread, here's a manga about board games. This is the latest chapter and features Werewolf. Not just any version of Werewolf, but The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow with its unique and stylish artwork and loaded with the most essential of roles as opposed to the more heavily role laden Ultimate Werewolf. The Miller's Hollow version also has slightly different rules regarding voting, discussion and revealing iirc.
http://bato.to/reader#82b624e7a4710598

In other, not manga posting, I just recently obtained Pandemic: Iberia. The art is amazing and just from reading, the changes in movement and roles make a very different game given that there's no more flying, Hospitals replace research stations and work differently and the more iconic roles like Medic and Dispatcher are gone and have been replaced with unique roles for the new game like the Nurse and the Railwayman

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 20, 2016

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Since this is relatively relevant to the thread, here's a manga about board games. This is the latest chapter and features Werewolf. Not just any version of Werewolf, but The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow with its unique and stylish artwork and loaded with the most essential of roles as opposed to the more heavily role laden Ultimate Werewolf. The Miller's Hollow version also has slightly different rules regarding voting, discussion and revealing iirc.
http://bato.to/reader#82b624e7a4710598

In other, not manga posting, I just recently obtained Pandemic: Iberia. The art is amazing and just from reading, the changes in movement and roles make a very different game given that there's no more flying, Hospitals replace research stations and work differently and the more iconic roles like Medic and Dispatcher are gone and have been replaced with unique roles for the new game like the Nurse and the Railwayman

Can you offer more about Iberia? I am somewhat interested in grabbing it but not if it isn't all that different from Pandemic

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wizard Styles posted:

So how did Love Letter Premium turn out? Considering a last minute purchase before the holidays.

It's fun, but don't bother unless your group is always going to be more than four. I like the new roles a lot, especially as you can now win without ever surviving a round.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rutibex posted:

All of those things are part of Stratego, not just the hidden armies.

Would you really say the depth of bluffing in stratego is the same as in poker? Or the strategy of movement in stratego vs chess?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

Short sell: it's a tactical wargame with abstracted actions and a truly diceless resolution system that rewards bluffing, movement, and player agency.

That last bit is the core element imo. Both sides are effectively equal in capability. There are no boosts or upgrades, cards or chit draws. The only difference in resolution is who attacks and who defends. In execution, NT is won by outmaneuvering your opponent. It's not like chess where X unit defeats Y unit. You win by committing the right guys at the right time in the correct location.

Assume the goal of a tactical wargame is to simulate a battle but by nature of being a game some elements must be abstracted to facilitate good play. NT is a simulation of a battle but abstracts the details into its pure essence. It is both less detailed but also more complex than other games of its type. The rules present a toolbox for possible actions rather than an exhaustive list of definitive actions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sloober posted:

Can you offer more about Iberia? I am somewhat interested in grabbing it but not if it isn't all that different from Pandemic

(work posting so some wording may be incorrect)

To start, unlike base Pandemic, the entire game is situated on the Iberian peninsula and set in the mid-19th Century. As such, moving across the map is a lot harder given that airplanes haven't been invented yet. Moving from city to city is still the same and there's no internal waterways for movement. Instead there's movement by Railway and by Boat. Moving via boat costs a card of a given color and can move players quickly from one coastal city to another. Moving via railway requires them to be set up beforehand (laying track is an action per track) but allows movement from anywhere along the track to a different point. Because of the time period, it's essentially impossible to eradicate a disease, thus even if it has been cured, new cubes will always be dropped from Infection cards. As a new mechanic, there is Purified Water. As an action and a card of a city color neighboring the region, players can put down two purified water tokens in a region (basically an area enclosed by roads) and they act like Quarantine Tokens from Pandemic: Legacy except that they're removed if a cube would drop in any of the surrounding cities. Discovering a cure allows players to discard a card of any color to do the action. There's all new roles and no old ones. Some new ones are similar to older roles but are changed to match the new mechanics and setting of the game. Research Stations are replaced with Hospitals and work like portals in Pandemic: Cthulhu (actually haven't played this so I might be wrong). Hospitals can be moved, but they're specific to a single color and so cures must be discovered at their respective Hospital. There are also two optional modes available. One has cubes moving towards Hospitals every turn as infected flock to receive treatment. The other has cards that can be chosen at the beginning of the game to make diseases more virulent or difficult to treat in accordance to their historic parallels.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Would you really say the depth of bluffing in stratego is the same as in poker? Or the strategy of movement in stratego vs chess?

:shrug:

Depends how good your opponent is at Stratego? It's played on a chess board, with pieces that move like chess pieces, and you totally have to bluff bomb locations and whatever. NT is a strictly 2 player game? Usually people play poker in groups, I would say neither game is really like poker.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rutibex posted:

:shrug:

Depends how good your opponent is at Stratego? It's played on a chess board, with pieces that move like chess pieces, and you totally have to bluff bomb locations and whatever. NT is a strictly 2 player game? Usually people play poker in groups, I would say neither game is really like poker.

*shakes head*

Anyway, long story short, read the other answer as to why NT is great because I was just being short and flippant.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

FulsomFrank posted:

goddamn!

Sadly the AUD is a bit depressed at the moment. To give you an idea of relative pricing:

New Angeles AUD$105
7 Wonders AUD$75
Inis $110

So at least NT is pretty much the equivalent of buying two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

*shakes head*

Anyway, long story short, read the other answer as to why NT is great because I was just being short and flippant.

It sure is fun eh?

Napoleon's Triumph looks like a fantastic game, but I still can't even find someone to play Mage Wars with me. If I break out the maps of Europe and little match stick armies I fear I may never never feel human contact again.