Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Benne posted:

Nia Jax has had like 50 different finishers on the main roster and I don't think any of them caught on

Much like Nia Jax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Nothing named the Hog Log can be bad.

There's a Pillman bathroom story involving a hog log, now that you mention it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Benne posted:

Nia Jax has had like 50 different finishers on the main roster and I don't think any of them caught on

its because she messes them up. all of them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

remusclaw posted:

JR had a great story about Pillaman being really enthusiastic about a particular poo poo he had taken on one the WWE DVD's.
I did this as well on the one for Battleground 13

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Nothing named the Hog Log can be bad.

I always wondered why this is in all the video games as The Showstopper. I'm like 90% sure that was his choke slam which doesn't seem to be in the games, at least as a finisher, since he switched to WMD.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently listened to the new audio book version of The Death of WCW. One thing that struck me about it since I first read the book is how it doesn't really talk about how the nWo split into different factions, which I would have thought would have been significant (though Hogan seems to disappear from the last part of the book).

Anyway, one thing I'm wondering is, why did they never put the championship on Hall? Hogan and Nash monopolised it between them but Hall never did. I appreciate he had pretty bad issues around alcohol but I'm watching these circa 1998 promos he did and he seems a) pretty together and b) almost effortlessly charismatic. Was there any reason he was never WCW champion?
I don't know about any differences there may be between the text and audio versions, but I believe the main reason for the nWo splitting into sub-factions was that Bischoff seriously believed that the nWo could become a brand in itself, to the point of shows being announced and set-dressed as nWo shows rather than WCW shows. IIRC at one point he even floated the idea, I don't know how seriously, of literally running WCW and nWo as separate interrelated promotions so that the WWF would be the #3 wrestling company.

Hall was not doing well in '98. Watch those segments again and notice how pale and haggard he looks. In '98 he wrestled fewer matches than Nash and far more than Hogan, but didn't get as much promo time as either, I don't think. Part of the reason he got such big pops is that he didn't address the audience as often and when he did, it was short and sweet. But he was already spiraling downward, and even if he wasn't, his role in the Hogan/Nash/Hall nWo was to be the best worker of the three, and to do the occasional job that Nash and Hogan were loathe to do.

To the extent that WCW wasn't up its own rear end about the nWo winning all the time in 98, it was often Nash putting over a guy like Flair or Sting as a threat to Hogan. And to Hall, it was a sweet deal, since WCW would let him get away with showing up in no condition to perform (and performing anyway), thumbing his nose at management, and occasionally blowing off dates. Really, one of the unethical things WCW is on the hook for is providing Hall a cozy six-figure hole in which to drink himself to death.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 19, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know about any differences there may be between the text and audio versions, but I believe the main reason for the nWo splitting into sub-factions was that Bischoff seriously believed that the nWo could become a brand in itself, to the point of shows being announced and set-dressed as nWo shows rather than WCW shows. IIRC at one point he even floated the idea, I don't know how seriously, of literally running WCW and nWo as separate interrelated promotions so that the WWF would be the #3 wrestling company.

The splitting into sub brands was really only done after the separate branding idea was soundly dismantled in the build up to Starrcade '97.

I think it was that Eric really never had a good plan for what to do after the nWo angle ran it's course and honestly managed to really book one story several times.

98 was basically 97 and 96, but this time with the nWo as both the faces and the heels, and they made the WCW guys look like chumps in the process.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Also in the response to Scott Hall.

Watch his Fall Brawl match with Konnan and realize they booked him with a gimmick where he would drink during his matches.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, yeah, it talks a bit about that and how the idea was abandoned after Souled Out, the all-nWo PPV, wasn't as successful as WCW hoped for.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Good Listener posted:

I always wondered why this is in all the video games as The Showstopper. I'm like 90% sure that was his choke slam which doesn't seem to be in the games, at least as a finisher, since he switched to WMD.

Show also had the Final Cut - his twisting drop clothesline - which was alright. Still not nearly as much impact as a chokeslam from a dude his size though.

Orton had a reverse/front-facing crab submission that he used for like a week, but they dropped it immediately for some reason.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

EugeneJ posted:

I'm on a mission to find good Gangrel matches!

Gangrel vs. Rey Mysterio in WCW:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xap1ry_rey-mysterio-vs-david-heath-gangrel_sport

Blackhearts (Gangrel and Tom Nash) vs. Mitsuharu Misawa and Toshiaki Kawada in AJPW:
Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ov-IVNxf4s
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkILltLjhwM

Blackhearts vs. Jumbo Tsuruta and Mighty Inoue in AJPW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqCnaF_Cs1c

man, watching Misawa and Kawada sell for those guys (who in turn didn't seem interested in selling very much) was painful. i guess it wasn't that uncommon a scene given the goobers Baba would bring in for the RWTL and CC in the 90s though.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Someone recommend me some good or fun Josh Barnett matches. Also where did the recommend thread go?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Suplex Liberace posted:

Someone recommend me some good or fun Josh Barnett matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9oJ4IQXFT4

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Spermgod posted:

man, watching Misawa and Kawada sell for those guys (who in turn didn't seem interested in selling very much) was painful.

On the other hand Kawada just ends it by spiking that dude's skull into the mat so I don't think any voluntary selling was really necessary. :v:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I don't feel to bad for the Japanese wrestlers in this case. They hire big mean looking westerners specifically to look like tough monsters so that when they do beat them it's impressive. It's not like either side is treating the other with kid gloves, all the stories I had heard from people working over there said that everyone beat the hell out of each other and if they didn't they likely wouldn't be working there for long.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Do you think that Gangrel taught Misawa the art of fangin and bangin during their working relationship?

But yeah Gangrel vs Misawa and Kawada is a "Daniel Bryan and Kamala had a world title match" level of weird crossed universes.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
i mean the latter was actively trying to be weird so it doesn't really count imo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spermgod posted:

i mean the latter was actively trying to be weird so it doesn't really count imo

OTOH, Akira Taue vs Tommy Dreamer for the TC was not.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

While we're on the subject, what's the strangest combination of two wrestlers in a match? Including multimans but not stuff like battle royals unless they had significant interaction. For me, it's hard to beat Simon Gotch having a (6 man tag) victory over Misawa under his belt.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

While we're on the subject, what's the strangest combination of two wrestlers in a match? Including multimans but not stuff like battle royals unless they had significant interaction. For me, it's hard to beat Simon Gotch having a (6 man tag) victory over Misawa under his belt.

Vampiro and Bob Backlund were part of a trio in WAR.

John Zandig and Shinya Hashimoto were in a 6-man against each othet, and Kana fought Super Leather. Sadly, no footage of either of those, but I really felt like those were some truly absurd matchups

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Maxel Hardy defeated Disco Inferno

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

There's a bunch of weird combos if you look at old king of trios

E: actually looking at it there's not that many but you do have the Bucks and Michael Bennett vs Warlord/Barbarian/Meng and FIST vs Togo/Shinzaki/Sasuke

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 20, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LvK posted:

Vampiro and Bob Backlund were part of a trio in WAR.

A trios match or the same team? Because if it's the latter, I gotta know the third man.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Baron Corbyn posted:

https://vk.com/video14563695_165426560

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

El Gallinero Gros posted:

OTOH, Akira Taue vs Tommy Dreamer for the TC was not.

wasn't for the TC although it did happen on the same show as the Kawada/Kobashi 60 min draw

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There was a Rob Conway/Greg Valentine match on Heat in 2004 or 2005. I think Conway also fought a few other old timers around the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

Do you think that Gangrel taught Misawa the art of fangin and bangin during their working relationship?

But yeah Gangrel vs Misawa and Kawada is a "Daniel Bryan and Kamala had a world title match" level of weird crossed universes.
Nah, he hadn't learned how to fang and bang himself yet. I think he figured that out some time after he moved to Puerto Rico and watched Lost Boys a few dozen times.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Suplex Liberace posted:

Someone recommend me some good or fun Josh Barnett matches. Also where did the recommend thread go?

I read this as Rob Bartlett and I got really excited.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

Cactus Jack vs. Andre the Giant in a 6-man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qKT_qNlGbs

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

A trios match or the same team? Because if it's the latter, I gotta know the third man.

Same team. Third man was Dos Caras

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Let's all remember failed attempts at new finishers.

What was that awful one Jericho had for a while? Breakdown?

Matt Hardy with the Ice Pick, a submission hold that kind of looked like he was cramming the opponent's face into his armpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thLGnmEFVeI

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Cactus Jack Vs Kenta Kobashi where Kobashi hits the double arm ddt on Jack and he learns the move for the future.

Hulk Hogan Vs Abdullah the Butcher where they double juice and brawl into the crowd.

Terry Funk vs CM Punk in ROH where terry screams "MY LEG" like he was being ran over by a steam roller.

RVD Vs Kawada where he beats the piss out of RVD.

Cactus Jack Vs Kawada where Cactus obviously couldn't give a poo poo and was only in shape because he just fought Randy Orton.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Writer Cath posted:

Matt Hardy with the Ice Pick, a submission hold that kind of looked like he was cramming the opponent's face into his armpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thLGnmEFVeI
Doesn't seem like you'd get the best torque out of a guillotine double hammerlock

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's not a hammerlock, just underhooks into a neck crank. Sort of like a cowcatcher with the actual wrestling context removed.

It's one of those MMA-ish things that doesn't translate to pro wrestling well, since you can't see the guy's facial expression, he doesn't have a commonsense way to work towards the ropes, and of course the fact that it looks like Matt is dry-humping him to death.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Boring question: what was Undertaker's best period in terms of in-ring ability?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sean10mm posted:

05-10

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sean10mm posted:

I honestly think he hasn't had better matches than his two with Lesnar in 2015 but 05-10 is a safer answer since he actually worked a schedule then.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Alain Post posted:

I honestly think he hasn't had better matches than his two with Lesnar in 2015 but 05-10 is a safer answer since he actually worked a schedule then.

I'm a big fan of his work from around May 2016 up to today.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

VileLL posted:

it's got to be brutus beefcake though

absolutely untalented on every imaginable level. awful matches, dozens of poo poo gimmicks and less charisma than any given jobber

if not the worst of all time, top 5 contender for most overpushed

Brutus headlined Starrcade, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Alain Post posted:

He was carrying Batista to great matches so yeah, 05-10 is definitely his best run.