Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That kitty is gonna die of malnutrition.

Fingerpori

Direct translation would be "what miracle delayed you this time?"

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Death is a release the supercartooner GG denies to the inhabitants of the world he has come to control absolutely.

I am Nancy and I love icecream.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Meh, that routine isn't any different than what Edda does every other day of the year.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 12, 1994)

The first of what will be many "automatic coffee pot" jokes.

Also, yeah, I love Chief Dharma, but I have no idea what the punchline to today's strip was. She took a slice of pizza, and Dharma and Hye-ran were all :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up since it's just going to be yet another string of references to characters from 70 years ago, but I am intrigued.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Nenonen posted:

idgi what's the appetite killing trick

Pastry of the Year posted:

Also, yeah, I love Chief Dharma, but I have no idea what the punchline to today's strip was. She took a slice of pizza, and Dharma and Hye-ran were all :confused:

Pretty sure the joke is "slim, attractive woman is only taking (and is satisfied with) one small slice, by contrast making the others look like pigs for wanting to eat the whole rest of the pie".

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

Pretty sure the joke is "slim, attractive woman is only taking (and is satisfied with) one small slice, by contrast making the others look like pigs for wanting to eat the whole rest of the pie".

:doh:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jerry Van Amerongen didn't caption this one and neither will I. Ballard Street.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

Strontium fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (November 27, 1951)

Nancy (January 11, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (September 10, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (October 9, 1923)

Lil' Abner (June 8, 1937)

Barney Google (October 10, 1922)

Alley Oop (January 9, 1934)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Let me get this straight - the Phantom knew this woman was going to be kidnapped and her staff terrorised and possibly murdered and yet did nothing to prevent it?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Let me get this straight - the Phantom knew this woman was going to be kidnapped and her staff terrorised and possibly murdered and yet did nothing to prevent it?

THE PHANTOM IS NOT A SECURITY DETAIL - Old Jungle Saying

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Darthemed posted:

This one confused me more than any other Calvin and Hobbes strip as a kid.

Same, and I still don't get it, could someone explain it to me? Is the kid's name "Filthy Rich" or something?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

Same, and I still don't get it, could someone explain it to me? Is the kid's name "Filthy Rich" or something?

Yes. He is filthy and his name is Rich.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

...and the pitch! posted:

Yes. He is filthy and his name is Rich.

mentally this just slotted well into LFO's "summertime girls"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Batman and Robin

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

RandomFerret posted:

Dude, the angry and fat ones are the MOST adorable.

You are obviously correct. :3:

F Minus

Those look like Slim Jims. Nothing says I love you like flavored beef and mechanically separated chicken product with salt.

Mary Worth

Please have one of these two turn into a werewolf.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

That guy is so proud to be a captain, he wears his uniform even when he's way inland away from his ship.

Apartment 3-G

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm watching the Peanuts movie and it's way more charming than it has any right to be. Charlie Brown is trying to improve himself to impress the little red head girl gosh darn it instead of just wallowing in self-pity and anxiety and crippling, disabling depression and I didn't expect that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Calaveron posted:

I'm watching the Peanuts movie and it's way more charming than it has any right to be. Charlie Brown is trying to improve himself to impress the little red head girl gosh darn it instead of just wallowing in self-pity and anxiety and crippling, disabling depression and I didn't expect that.

They sounds a lot worse, actually.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Thank you for reminding me to watch that over the holiday. It's the only movie I can think of that my in-laws won't whine about that I would also be willing to sit through.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Calaveron posted:

AND THAT IS WHY IT IS A BETRAYAL.

PEANUTS IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT CRIPPLING ANXIETY AND SELF-PITY AND A FORM OF SELF-LOVE THAT MARKS YOU AS A DELUSIONAL! AND THE GOLDEN AGE OF FREAKING THE gently caress OUT OVER EVERYTHING! You know, except for kids! So, hilarious!

It is also a cherished childhood memory. So for that, behold Peanuts in its purest form! (December 23, 1969)

(Seriously, I'm sure The Peanuts Movie is okay for what it is. It's not like anybody counts the animated stuff as canon, anyway. But compare it with A Boy Named Charlie Brown if you get a chance.)

Skippy (September 19-21, 1929)

Funky No-She's-Probably-Not-Deadbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (February 19-20, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 9, 1930)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Please have one of these two turn into a werewolf.

Behold! A Paleblood Sky! :unsmigghh:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Apropos of nothing

http://betamaxmas.com/ is still going

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean I did grow up watching the Charlie Brown specials and reading some of the comic strips when available (it was never big where I lived) so I know that Charlie Brown's thing is having the worst goddamn luck and everybody just disliked him despite being a relatively harmless kid but despite that he never gave up and would always try to kick that football and win that baseball game and fly that kite and get his dog to respect him and talk to the little red haired girl but he never could and that made him, in my opinion, an annoying bundle of nerves and self loathing. I liked the movie because goddammit he finally got the little red haired girl to talk to him and flew that kite and earned the respect of the other kids.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

So what you're saying is the movie is the story of Charlie Brown gradually remembering that, back in the 1950s, he was awesome.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Calaveron posted:

I mean I did grow up watching the Charlie Brown specials and reading some of the comic strips when available (it was never big where I lived) so I know that Charlie Brown's thing is having the worst goddamn luck and everybody just disliked him despite being a relatively harmless kid but despite that he never gave up and would always try to kick that football and win that baseball game and fly that kite and get his dog to respect him and talk to the little red haired girl but he never could and that made him, in my opinion, an annoying bundle of nerves and self loathing. I liked the movie because goddammit he finally got the little red haired girl to talk to him and flew that kite and earned the respect of the other kids.

Honorable people can have different views, and I respect the validity of your experience (even if I vented all over it), but I'm also assuming we both agree that it was a step too far when Spike took over in the 80s and the strip went all loopy and sentimental.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 20, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Honorable people can have different views, and I respect the validity of your experience (even if I vented all over it), but I'm also assuming we both agree that it was a step too far when Spike took over in the 80s and the strip went all loopy and sentimental.

I don't recall much of Spike (Snoopy's brother right) other than being amused by his appearance

Edit: and that he slept in a little Datsun where the seat folded down

Somebody repost the strips when the little red haired girl moved away and Linus just goes apeshit at Charlie Brown

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Now watch Mob Psycho 100.

Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky No-She's-Probably-Not-Deadbean

Holy poo poo, lady. You're looking for a potential suicide victim. Cool off.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I don't recall much of Spike (Snoopy's brother right) other than being amused by his appearance

Edit: and that he slept in a little Datsun where the seat folded down

Somebody repost the strips when the little red haired girl moved away and Linus just goes apeshit at Charlie Brown

Yeah, Spike is Snoopy's brother, and eventually he spent all of his time talking to cacti and watching cars drive by in the desert.

Oh, and it's the least I can do...

And then one, two, skip a few...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

AND THAT IS WHY IT IS A BETRAYAL.

PEANUTS IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT CRIPPLING ANXIETY AND SELF-PITY AND A FORM OF SELF-LOVE THAT MARKS YOU AS A DELUSIONAL! AND THE GOLDEN AGE OF FREAKING THE gently caress OUT OVER EVERYTHING! You know, except for kids! So, hilarious!

It is also a cherished childhood memory. So for that, behold Peanuts in its purest form! (December 23, 1969)

(Seriously, I'm sure The Peanuts Movie is okay for what it is. It's not like anybody counts the animated stuff as canon, anyway. But compare it with A Boy Named Charlie Brown if you get a chance.)

As a long-time Peanuthead (I had Peanuts sheets on my bed when I was a kid, thank you very much), I liked the movie for most of the way. I could accept compromises like having the Little Red-Haired Girl be visible and having all the kids be in the same class (when in the strip, Linus and Sally are younger, Peppermint Patty and Marcie go to a different school, etc.). But the ending, man. Having everyone line up to tell Charlie Brown what an awesome guy, heroic even, he is? it just smacks of not trusting the audience to get the message. It's as if Rocky ended with ten minutes of everyone shaking Rocky's hand and telling him what an amazing job he did in the fight.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was watching a great LP when inspiration hit

If I had better shopping skills the second panel would be a lot more on fire.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Selachian posted:

As a long-time Peanuthead (I had Peanuts sheets on my bed when I was a kid, thank you very much), I liked the movie for most of the way. I could accept compromises like having the Little Red-Haired Girl be visible and having all the kids be in the same class (when in the strip, Linus and Sally are younger, Peppermint Patty and Marcie go to a different school, etc.). But the ending, man. Having everyone line up to tell Charlie Brown what an awesome guy, heroic even, he is? it just smacks of not trusting the audience to get the message. It's as if Rocky ended with ten minutes of everyone shaking Rocky's hand and telling him what an amazing job he did in the fight.

And as a contrast, this is how A Boy Named Charlie Brown ends. A little somber, but it's actually a worthwhile lesson. (The clip is a big-rear end spoiler if you're planning on watching it.)

I've been kicking the newer movie down the road for awhile, but I've got enough Google Play credits that I might go for it. (e: Or at least I would if it was a rental.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

EasyEW posted:

And as a contrast, this is how A Boy Named Charlie Brown ends. A little somber, but it's actually a worthwhile lesson. (The clip is a big-rear end spoiler if you're planning on watching it.)

I've been kicking the newer movie down the road for awhile, but I've got enough Google Play credits that I might go for it. (e: Or at least I would if it was a rental.)

It's pretty good, the animation style is dead on, the kid voice acting is pretty great (Peppermint Patty is spot on to how I imagined her sounding in my head) but the Snoopy/Flying Ace bits drag on a little too long.

And that clip you posted is one of the reasons I liked the ending. Let Charlie Brown have an explicit victory already, jeez, the little guy has had 70 years of tough moral victories and lessons.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I was watching a great LP when inspiration hit

If I had better shopping skills the second panel would be a lot more on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Imagine, Everett True with six arms and six umbrellas.

• Locked thread