Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Something that just jumped into my head.

We have the ability to fight with 2-handers or 1-hand and shield -- why not dual wielding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Reflection is better in the midgame, as it makes yaktaurs and centaurs kill themselves with a decent SH skill. Once you're strong enough to not worry about them switch to resistance.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shinino Kage posted:

Something that just jumped into my head.

We have the ability to fight with 2-handers or 1-hand and shield -- why not dual wielding?

Balance reasons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are dual wielded daggers tho right .

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

euphronius posted:

There are dual wielded daggers tho right .

There's an artifact weapon that is two weapons but mechanically it's just a single two-hander; you can't split them up or anything.

At one point I did suggest 'duelist's blades' or something similar as a 'two-handed' short blade along the lines of Gimble & Gyre, but nobody seemed to like it at the time. :(

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Konstantin posted:

Reflection is better in the midgame, as it makes yaktaurs and centaurs kill themselves with a decent SH skill. Once you're strong enough to not worry about them switch to resistance.

Does it reflect things like dragon's breath as well? Asking for swamp...

Edit: Formicids dual-wielding two-handers :getin:

Edit2: Dual Shield Wielding add some kind of shield bash attack...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always thought dual wielding was kind of a lame concept. I'd put it up there with "why can't we have power levels and go super saiyan?"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I always thought dual wielding was kind of a lame concept. I'd put it up there with "why can't we have power levels and go super saiyan?"

Dual wielding is a real thing though? Though most commonly the off-hand is used as a shield replacement and not a second primary method of attack.

Basically add a new type of shield- parrying daggers- that have the lowest SH bonus and give it the Longsword's riposte ability if you really wanted to do it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Skill in transmutations should provide rmut.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Heithinn Grasida posted:

[...]it's responding to something that was not my original point. In the first place, I think, or at least I hope, when people complain about flavor, they are primarily complaining about the loss of flavor for flavor's sake, not the loss of flavor in an absolute sense.
I think this happens quite rarely. Of course, the reason is that you and me will probably disagree what "for flavor's sake" means. For example, removing a species is often lamented, and complained about like this: "There was no cost attached to keeping this species, by removing it you only remove fun." This is not quite true: there is a maintenance cost to everything. The code portion of that cost, for a typical species (like High Elf say -- only aptitude, no gimmicks) is very low. But there is more: every species adds to the cognitive load (you may laugh about it, but one of us put roguelike-newbies in front of a screen and let them play Crawl unaided, and the learning curve is really steep, with the species/background selection screens already being massive question marks). Then there is also a sort of "total design cost": we cannot simply add species, there should be some limit. Experience has shown that players can mentially distinguish two dozen of a kind, so that looks like a natural cap. For deities, I think I've achieved a hard cap of 27 with the initials rule. So someone has to make space when species like Octopodes, Formicids and Vine Stalkers are added. (And I'll admit these are wacky, but they do provide their own kind of flavour.)

Let's look at another example of flavour loss that has drawn quite some complaints: racial armour/weapons. Now I could ask what's the use of special armour for a single (dwarven/elfish/orcish) species :) But cynical jokes aside, these were removed because they looked cool but added little gameplay value, and therefore actually led people to make wrong decisions. Like picking a orcish +1 sword over a bland +2 one. Does this fit better into the category of losses you talk about? For that, I have to say that while racial egos are gone, a bunch of new armour egos have been added. I claim there is no loss at all, just a shift. (Remember that each release adds *more* than gets cut.) Now you can say that the removed stuff was full of flavour whereas the new stuff is bland. I have no reply to that, I can only say that to a new player it would not feel like this. Perhaps something becomes "flavourful" if you've seen it for long enough? (Question not sarcastic.)

quote:

Crawl may have very good flavor itself, but people still are right to complain about the removal of things hammers and sheep. They made the game more fun to play even if they weren't strictly good design.
I think the sheep flavour was about sticky flame and the Xom vault? If I understand correctly, both of these have been preserved! The hammers, I can relate -- the maximum hammer version of Crazy Yiuf's was me. So, I did feel a sting when I read the commit line "removed hammers". But after a moment of reflection I realised that for a new player, maximum club Yiuf is just as wacky as the old one. Okay, maybe a tiny bit less wacky. I guess, it boils down to the question: is it okay to keep an item just for a single joke? (Anyone recall when we had ankus?)

quote:

But other sacrifices have been made on the altar of good design that were more harmful. An example I've brought up repeatedly is the dragon's call / dragon form synergy that existed for a few versions. It was obscure and almost useless to the vast majority of players, but it made for something flavorful and fun that you could try for if you knew about, and if you didn't know, it really didn't hurt you at all. There was no practical reason to remove it except for an aesthetic compulsion on the part of the developers and the game is poorer for its loss.
Well, the comparison to dwarven armour stands. In my opinion, if you're *really* serious about this (or something like this), then the best/only way forward is to think about a mechanic that is both flavourful and mechanically relevant. This can be hard, and perhaps there is no cool solution. But I would think that there are manifold possibilities to improve Draconians' Dracon Call experience. Invent some, bring them up and argue for them. We will listen!

Altogether, if you phrase the accusation specifically enough, I cannot have a decent reply to: "you kill flavour for no reason, hence the game may become better, but it's less fun". I can tell you that I (and I am not alone in this) think about flavour. It's true that flavour *alone* is not (anymore?) the reason to add something, but it is always taken into account. I suggest to have a relaxed glimpse at the whole changelog (from DCSS 0.1 to trunk), and try to see how things have been lost, sometimes reinvented, and added.

quote:

Flavor is not the only psychological (which I mean as opposed to strictly intellectual in a challenge, or puzzle sense) factor in making a game fun. Though it might seem "low brow", most people who play RPGs want to be awesome and to do awesome things. Although in the specific case of haste, I think the intellectual aspect of more interesting design outweighs the psychological aspect of reward, casting haste was awesome. Finding a haste wand is awesome. If you cannot do those things, you cannot be quite as awesome as you could before.
Whatever you think of the Haste removals, we took a long time. The Haste spell has been nerfed and tinkered with since ever, and was only removed recently. We felt that the top-tier wands are ill-designed for a long while, but only now may get around removing them. (This is a reply to "current design pushes game away from fantasy to bookkeeping".)

Let's try and find things that have been added to make your Crawl experience cooler, and your character more badass: new high level spells, such as Tornado, Glaciate, Dragon Call, Orb of Destruction! I came up with Ziggurats specifically and solely so that players can feel like they own the dungeon! The earlier portal vaults provide flavour, power and hopefully some excitement. (Some people correctly say that they're dubious because they make strong characters stronger.) Hell and Pan have been touched: layouts, sentinels, population. You may not be able to haste yourself anymore (apart from potions), but there are a bunch of evocable items that just shred at high Evo skill.

quote:

My personal sentiment is that the current design trend is pushing the game somewhat away from a fantastic and varied experience where you see bizarre things and do awesome poo poo to some kind of chess puzzle in the newspaper. You might feel satisfied and stimulated, but you don't feel awesome in the video game sense when you figure out that black's path to checkmate in four moves is rook to queen four.
It sounds a bit like you grew out of Crawl :) There's nothing wrong with that, we're not developing an eternal game such as Go.
Regarding bizzare things. I am certain that Crawl has more of that than ever: Malign Gateway, wizlabs, fixed artefacts, Apocalypse/Grand Finale/etc.

Why did I write this wall of text: if you state that, say, DCSS 0.16 was best Crawl for you, then no problems. It is clear that Crawl has gone a long way, and why should any particular player feel compelled to walk all along? (I know a number of players who did, and that in itself is amazing and heart-warming.) However, I rarely see the sentiments phrased as clearly as you did and, like I tried to indicate, I think they're understandable, but misguided. Flavour has moved, and badassness has moved, but we try to preserve these -- we play this game too, after all!

dpeg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 20, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zore posted:

Dual wielding is a real thing though? Though most commonly the off-hand is used as a shield replacement and not a second primary method of attack.

Basically add a new type of shield- parrying daggers- that have the lowest SH bonus and give it the Longsword's riposte ability if you really wanted to do it.

Yeah, OK, daggers are fine. I was thinking like double SMGs or long swords like The Matrix or Halo or Game of Thrones.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zore posted:

sounds kind of needlessly complex when you could just, idk. use a long blade. you can use a long blade+shield if you want riposte+SH

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Easy to solve!

Unrand shield with a dagger graphic that adds riposte to any weapon type, similar to boots of the assassin with stabs.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I remember the ankhus! And I remember confused by it as a new player too!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Gloves of the fencer already add riposte to any weapon type though!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

You're right!

I still want gloves that cause punches to inflict inner flame. I know there's a club that does that, but I love the idea of punching something so hard that it explodes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I definitely remember ankus but then again I'm wildly not part of the main demographic of Crawl; I've been around from the 0.3.4 days.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

I definitely remember ankus but then again I'm wildly not part of the main demographic of Crawl; I've been around from the 0.3.4 days.

What's the plural of ankus anyway? Ankuses?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ankylosaurus

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Most people carefully evade that question by calling them bullhooks or elephant goads. :v:

But the correct answer is ankuses.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

IronicDongz posted:

It bugs me that they do nothing if you already have riposte. They should enhance long blades in some way, otherwise finding them on a long blade character is like, "well gently caress."

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

LogicNinja posted:

It bugs me that they do nothing if you already have riposte. They should enhance long blades in some way, otherwise finding them on a long blade character is like, "well gently caress."

Obviously the correct answer is to remove Long Blades, since the gloves accomplish the same effect.

Then remove the gloves.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Crawl has been getting better and better since I've been playing (since like .7), I'm inclined to trust the devs will continue to make it better.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

LogicNinja posted:

they double the riposte chance :ssh:

I guess that's not documented, huh? i'll add a note to make it clearer.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LogicNinja posted:

they add their riposte chance to the normal riposte chance you get from wielding a long blade, so you riposte twice as often with them on

e:f,b

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

they add their riposte chance to the normal riposte chance you get from wielding a long blade, so you riposte twice as often with them on

e:f,b

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

sounds kind of needlessly complex when you could just, idk. use a long blade. you can use a long blade+shield if you want riposte+SH

Flavor. *shrug*

Could make it where the 2nd weapon gets only like half strength or something, and is slower? I dunno. Or maybe it requires a separate skill to do it. So if you wanted to dual wield Maces, you had to have Maces + DW, and have DW not cross-train? Or maybe slight cross-train with shields?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

taqueso posted:

Crawl has been getting better and better since I've been playing (since like .7), I'm inclined to trust the devs will continue to make it better.

From a technical perspective, yes. Not everything has been great. Race removals and the wand swap (not the upcoming removal) are two that stick out off the top of my head.

At this point, I probably should just fork the game into my own little private branch and start changing things to put in what I want, but I only play webtiles and not having a way to play anywhere through a browser would be a deal-breaker.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm willing to bear with some sketchy changes here and there for a dev team that seems to have an actual long term goal in mind.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ugly John posted:

From a technical perspective, yes. Not everything has been great. Race removals and the wand swap (not the upcoming removal) are two that stick out off the top of my head.

At this point, I probably should just fork the game into my own little private branch and start changing things to put in what I want, but I only play webtiles and not having a way to play anywhere through a browser would be a deal-breaker.

Wand swap? You mean like acid and iceblast? I liked that change a lot, because it differentiated them from spellcasting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No version prior to 0.19 can be the best version of crawl, because 0.19 finally made swords as powerful as they are cool

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

tweet my meat posted:

I'm willing to bear with some sketchy changes here and there for a dev team that seems to have an actual long term goal in mind.

Still waiting on that change for malmutate!

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Next removal they make should be worthwhile, to something I hate that is also super redundant in polearms. Halberd, glaives, bardiches, they all sound like the same weapon, I don't know which one is better just by looking at the name. Spears, tridents, halberds, demon trident, done. Also in reality Glaives are just single blade nagitas, they should probably be in staves, also they should be faster/ less damaging than halberds. From what I have read about bardiches they should probably be listed in the axes category except we already have the executions axe, and in-game they don't have nearly enough flair in the name to justify being on par with triple swords, executioner axes and giant spiked clubs. They sound like just another polearm to me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, polearms being their own category does get a bit messy when you realize a lot of polearms are basically just different kinds of weapons slapped on the end of a pole. Would this be M&F, axes, or polearms? who knows!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Halberds, glaives and bardiches all share a long (2 meterish) pole, making them thematically at least polearms. If you wanted to figure out which is more damaging with zero knowledge about the weapons look at the in game picture, as they get more powerful the actual blade on the weapon gets bigger.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
halberd has like 3 different pointy bits though!

on a related note, buff halberds, they're in an awkward spot where you almost never want to use them-they're like morningstars as a common weapon with 13 base damage, but instead of trading a bit of damage or delay(like a broad axe, which takes 18 skill instead of 16) for their unique ability(reaching), they become 2H. but you almost never want to use one for a long time because glaives are also 2H, not too uncommon, and better. they're purely a transition weapon whereas sometimes you do end up using a morningstar or broad axe all game

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Carcer posted:

Halberds, glaives and bardiches all share a long (2 meterish) pole, making them thematically at least polearms. If you wanted to figure out which is more damaging with zero knowledge about the weapons look at the in game picture, as they get more powerful the actual blade on the weapon gets bigger.

From wiki on Bardiches - "While the blade was often very long for an axe (usually exceeding 2 feet (60 cm)) the shaft was one of the shortest of all polearms; rarely did it exceed 5 feet (1.5 m) in length. It relied more on the weight of its heavy blade to do the damage than a swing from a long pole. This makes the bardiche more similar to the Danish axe, in some respects, than to a true polearm."

From wiki on Axes - Axes designed for warfare ranged in weight from just over 0.5 kg to 3 kg ( 1 to 6 pounds), and in length from just over 30 cm to upwards of 1.5 m (1 to 5 feet), as in the case of the Danish axe or the sparth axe. Cleaving weapons longer than 1.5 m would arguably fall into the category of polearms.

So very borderline.

Also "Another use of the bardiche was for execution." It kinda does look like a stereotypical executioner's axe - imagine executing someone with a halberd or glaive.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It did actually used to be called "lochaber axe" before it was changed to bardiche because it was confusing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Haha I remember being confused about the locharbie axes.

Polearms are my new favorite. The reach effect is so clutch and strategic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of polearms and axes, scythes still exist. They should be given cleave and reaching. Or at least a scythe fixedart that cleaves if you don't use reaching. e: Give it to Finisher.

Cause let's be honest, the only reason scythes haven't been cut like other weapons is because Sigmund uses it and there's two fixedart scythes. Their only contribution to the game is giving Sigmund and reapers reaching, players never touch them.

Darox fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 21, 2016

• Locked thread