Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't know why some people are acting like the evolutionary stage of "mostly autonomous in most situations, but with a licensed driver in the car in a position to take over" isn't likely to exist, and wouldn't itself be a massive improvement in driver safety.

Why do we need to go directly from "car that requires my active involvement in driving at all times" to "car that can drive me home when I'm loaded?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oh god it's happening again.

please god someone grab the wheel and steer us away from this argument

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feral Integral posted:

Uber wants to put 'autonomous' cars on the road that actually require a driver. But since the driver is under the impression that the car is autonomous, they are certainly going to slack off at some point and let the car drive itself while they post on some awful forum on the internet. The car then careens into the bike line or crossing guard or whatever the anomaly du jour is and murders people.

Uber then still refuses to pay the $150 for the license

Best part is that liability will be on the independent contractor sitting in the driver's seat for not following the rules.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
MENE MENE TEKEL UBERCARSIN

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

NewForumSoftware posted:

What makes you think it will take 25 years? Who is going to sue the manufacturers and make them stop? The reason it's going to happen and happen quickly is there is literally nobody who has an interest in self-driving cars not becoming a thing. Or at least nobody with the financial resources to slow down what's already happening.

25 years because the tech is still remarkably dumb. There needs to be way more actual work done on high level systems before they will work. The stuff that they are doing is the easy part. 90% of the work left is poo poo that needs real breakthroughs and infrastructure support to happen. I'm imagining the chaos that would happen if you unleashed one of these stutter start machines in Manhattan or Boston with the hugely dynamic problems they have and it makes my skin crawl. The tech will get there. It always does. But right now we have the equivalent of muskets and are making plans to go to war like we have M-4s.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

I don't know why some people are acting like the evolutionary stage of "mostly autonomous in most situations, but with a licensed driver in the car in a position to take over" isn't likely to exist, and wouldn't itself be a massive improvement in driver safety.

Why do we need to go directly from "car that requires my active involvement in driving at all times" to "car that can drive me home when I'm loaded?"

I'd say that it's pretty unlikely we see cars without steering wheels or "manual overrides" but the reality is even with those in place you're still looking at an order of magnitude reduction in deaths at the minimum.

Most people are wholly unaware of how dangerous cars are but I can assure you the policy makers and technologists have already moved in on this opening. There's money to be made and good to be done, I don't see litigation being an issue.

Time posted:

25 years because the tech is still remarkably dumb. There needs to be way more actual work done on high level systems before they will work. The stuff that they are doing is the easy part. 90% of the work left is poo poo that needs real breakthroughs and infrastructure support to happen. I'm imagining the chaos that would happen if you unleashed one of these stutter start machines in Manhattan or Boston with the hugely dynamic problems they have and it makes my skin crawl. The tech will get there. It always does. But right now we have the equivalent of muskets and are making plans to go to war like we have M-4s.

Automating 90% of the driving (highways) is still going to result in a dramatic reduction in accidents/deaths.

I tend to agree that manual overrides will be around for a long time because of the weather, "unknown unknowns", etc. but self-driving cars don't have to be perfect, they just have to be significantly safer than what we have now.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 20, 2016

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

NewForumSoftware posted:

Automating 90% of the driving (highways) is still going to result in a dramatic reduction in accidents/deaths.

I think we have different definitions of autonomous. What Tesla is doing right now isn't autonomous. I meant point a to point b with only input in emergency cases.

If we are only talking about highway auto-assist then yeah sure in the next decade it'll be on all new cars and massively successful. We don't disagree at all in that case.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yeah, a cruise control that can keep you in your lane, maintain a safe distance from other cars, and sound an obnoxious alarm to wake up the zoned-out driver when something weird happens would solve so many problems.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The fall of unicorns: disrupting self-driving car arguments

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

NewForumSoftware posted:

Which is why elevators were never invented and we still use stairs.

You should look into the history of elevators, it's quite fascinating. They were horribly unsafe at first and used primarily for cargo until Samuel Otis invented the safety elevator, so called because it failed safe. After that, using them for passengers became quite popular as you were not likely to die in them anymore.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a car

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

duz posted:

You should look into the history of elevators, it's quite fascinating. They were horribly unsafe at first and used primarily for cargo until Samuel Otis invented the safety elevator, so called because it failed safe. After that, using them for passengers became quite popular as you were not likely to die in them anymore.

Yeah it took 25 years in the 1800s something tells me we're going to get it done faster this time around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PT6A posted:

Because the end result is "I can totally drink drive and the car will take care of it" and then it doesn't.

The thing about requiring driver input all the time is that you can't drive without giving that input at all times

The car doesn't pitch you a THINKFAST when it fucks up, you're always watching for that yourself.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 20, 2016

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yeah it took 25 years in the 1800s something tells me we're going to get it done faster this time around.

This might make sense if we were inventing elevators again.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

skull mask mcgee posted:

This might make sense if we were inventing elevators again.

It also might make sense if elevators were killing tens of thousands of people going about their daily lives before the advent of Otis' now ubiquitous elevator

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

oh god it's happening again.

please god someone grab the wheel and steer us away from this argument

Ok, so every self-driving uber is going to have a big button on the side, something like:

So if you're a cyclist and see that a car is going to merge and kill you, simply reach out to hit the button and gain the attention of the driver! Of course, we're going to put the drivers in the cloud and it may take a few seconds to sync the vehicle with an independently contracted drivr,

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i want a car that says "i hosed up" in a calm robot voice just before i die in a fiery collision

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Avshalom posted:

i want a car that says "i hosed up" in a calm robot voice just before i die in a fiery collision

in the future you'll wake up a week later in a Theranos Wellness Center after they perform a chemistry on your charred remains.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Autonomous cars are the stupidest loving thing. We already have vehicles that can drive themselves and avoid accidents to quickly and efficiently move people around. They're called trains.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

The car has been around for over a hundred years now. I think we passed 25 years a bit ago.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

PJOmega posted:

The cars been around for over a hundred years now. I think we passed 25 years a bit ago.

Actually that's a good point, how long did it take to go from the commercial invention of autos to the consumer adoption?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Avshalom posted:

"Your door is open." Aiiieeeee! (falls out of car)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewForumSoftware posted:

Actually that's a good point, how long did it take to go from the commercial invention of autos to the consumer adoption?

About 75 years to 90% adoption, but that's probably got something to do with a great depression and a world war.

edit: https://hbr.org/2013/11/the-pace-of-technology-adoption-is-speeding-up

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NewForumSoftware posted:

What makes you think it will take 25 years? Who is going to sue the manufacturers and make them stop? The reason it's going to happen and happen quickly is there is literally nobody who has an interest in self-driving cars not becoming a thing. Or at least nobody with the financial resources to slow down what's already happening.

Their own legal departments will help. The question of liability in cases of accidents is a huge unknown. Taking on liability for every accident is not something GM or Ford wants.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

the automobile was invented between 1770-1885 depending on what you define as the first automobile. by 1885 karl benz was producing vehicles which modern people would definitely call automobiles. they weren't popularly adopted until henry ford refined the mass production of automobiles in like 1909 and made cheap reliable cars for the masses

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

nm posted:

Their own legal departments will help. The question of liability in cases of accidents is a huge unknown. Taking on liability for every accident is not something GM or Ford wants.

Or Uber. How long has our legal system taken to sort out what Uber is doing with its drivers? 5 years and we still aren't done? The Uber version of reality where cars are driving around picking people up is about a decade after someone gets a for realsie autonomous car on the road, just so our legal system can catch up.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

NewForumSoftware posted:

What makes you think it will take 25 years?

Here's the current state of the art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CdJ4oae8f4

but even if they somehow miraculously make them not hilariously bad in an urban areas tomorrow, sorting out the liability for autonomous cars will take a decade at least.

jre fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 21, 2016

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

jre posted:

Here's the current state of the art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CdJ4oae8f4

lol if you think Uber is state of the art anything other than VC money flaunting the law

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol if you think Uber is state of the art anything other than VC money flaunting the law

So what is the state of the art ?, the multi million dollar google car that crashed into a bus that was going 5 mph, or the tesla that ploughed into a stationary trailer at high speed killing the driver ?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

jre posted:

So what is the state of the art ?, the multi million dollar google car that crashed into a bus that was going 5 mph, or the tesla that ploughed into a stationary trailer at high speed killing the driver ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJaqRwG0Dfc

also fwiw a single incident where a driver dies won't kill the technology, in fact that it's already happened and no legislation came of it is a pretty good signal that it won't happen

you realize that this isn't about "are self driving cars going to be popular" it's going to happen and there's nothing you can do to stop it. economics always wins

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Volvo you say ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsTxS6tg6xc

But again you're ignoring the real problem that the legality of how much the driver is responsible and how much the manufacturer is responsible will take years to sort before any vaguely autonomous car is allowed to be sold

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

jre posted:

But again you're ignoring the real problem that the legality of how much the driver is responsible and how much the manufacturer is responsible will take years to sort before any vaguely autonomous car is allowed to be sold

It's not about the driver vs the manufacturer, it's about the insurance company and the manufacturer, who get along just fine thank you very much.

Also vaguely autonomous cars are already sold, hell Tesla markets a feature called "Autopilot"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's not about the driver vs the manufacturer, it's about the insurance company and the manufacturer, who get along just fine thank you very much.

So if my self driving car ploughs through kids on a crossing, I'm fine because the police will speak to the insurance company and the manufacturer and not to me ?

quote:

Also vaguely autonomous cars are already sold, hell Tesla markets a feature called "Autopilot"
Which killed someone by driving full speed into an incredibly obvious obstacle and is likely to be regulated heavily in the near future

jre fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 21, 2016

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

jre posted:

So if my self driving car ploughs through kids on a crossing, I'm fine because the police will speak to the insurance company and the manufacturer and not to me ?

No the police will pressure lawmakers to enact stricter regulation, which will just improve the quality of self-driving cars.

quote:

Which killed someone by driving full speed into an incredibly obvious obstacle and is likely to be regulated heavily in the near future

Yes the government is going to regulate the poo poo out of <dangerous thing> any day now, just you wait! <old man shaking hand at sky.gif>

take a look at the political landscape broceratops, ain't nobody interesting in stopping the flow of sweet sweet cash

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

NewForumSoftware posted:

No the police will pressure lawmakers to enact stricter regulation, which will just improve the quality of self-driving cars.
The police won't care about the quality of self driving cars because they will be too busy arresting you for manslaughter

quote:

Yes the government is going to regulate the poo poo out of <dangerous thing> any day now, just you wait! <old man shaking hand at sky.gif>

They started in september https://www.transportation.gov/AV

quote:

take a look at the political landscape broceratops
This is pretty much the definition of effort not being met with effort

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

jre posted:

The police won't care about the quality of self driving cars because they will be too busy arresting you for manslaughter

Fortunately drivers aren't held liable if the producer of said car was on the government's approved list of manufacturers

quote:

This is pretty much the definition of effort not being met with effort

Effort is just waving your hand and saying "the regulation is coming, don't you worry"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

jre posted:

People drive into stationary objects at full speed literally every single day and there isn't really any regulation heavily controlling that. Most of the time it's not even illegal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, guys! Let's talk about the Financial Times's Alphaville ripping its way through the xiphoid processes of a whole bunch of executives. Most of the links are paywalled, because they're to the FT.

quote:

Dan Wagner / Powa Technologies
Britain’s answer to Bill Gates, assuming the question is: “who might plausibly burn though $200m in three years without noticing?”

Isabel dos Santos/Sonangol
In June, dos Santos was appointed by Angola’s president (who also happens to be her father) to turn around the southern African nation’s troubled state oil giant. In November, employees of the troubled state oil giant ran out of toilet paper.

Peter Thiel/Founders Fund
Epi-Randian iconoclast, long-game grudge bearer, and The Unicorn Kingdom’s last-resort plenipotentiary within Trump Towers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I tried to warn the thread, I really did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

NewForumSoftware posted:

In a single city or area? Should be pretty possible in the next few years.
You think there will be a place where there are enough self driving cars to have a statistically significant reduction in traffic accidents in the next few years? You are off your rocker.