Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
In Argentina when there are waves of looting (and there hasn't been anything serious in years inshallah) the police almost without fail pulled back from small/medium shops and protected large chains and foreign businesses. It is designed to create social tension and turn the smaller stores into comparatively easier targets.

Even if the shop-owners have guns what are they going to do? They're going to be a few people up against a mob, if they shoot not only will they get looted they'll get lynched as well. By the same token, what are even well-organised criminal bands going to do? Are they going to go up against the police and potentially get their own people killed? No, they'll go after the TV or phone shop and then flip the merchandise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Friendly Humour posted:

What happens in february?

That poor bastard (Vlex) is headed to Venezuela in February for field work for his archaeology job, because he seems to have a passion for archaeology that trumps the possibility of being murdered/kidnapped. On the plus side, I guess it's a good set up for a real-life Indiana Jones film.

Edit: Except that there's no hidden mystical treasure, there's just a bunch of drugs.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 19, 2016

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Saladman posted:

That poor bastard (Vlex) is headed to Venezuela in February for field work for his archaeology job, because he seems to have a passion for archaeology that trumps the possibility of being murdered/kidnapped. On the plus side, I guess it's a good set up for a real-life Indiana Jones film.

Edit: Except that there's no hidden mystical treasure, there's just a bunch of drugs.

Or being mistaken for an illegal strip mining operation by men with guns.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Kind of an odd question but in developing countries like early china and the Soviet Union, job opportunities were scarce so lots of ambitious ladies turn to prostitution. Anything trending like that in Venezuela? People going overseas and turning tricks to feed their families back home and everything is hush hush :negative:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

caberham posted:

Kind of an odd question but in developing countries like early china and the Soviet Union, job opportunities were scarce so lots of ambitious ladies turn to prostitution. Anything trending like that in Venezuela? People going overseas and turning tricks to feed their families back home and everything is hush hush :negative:

Yeah, one of my cousins has a "friend" who doesn't have a job here but she occasionally makes trips to Dubai and poo poo and posts pics on instagram... she's really sweet so I hope nothing bad happens to her.

Lots of undocumented Venezuelans abroad resort to prostitution sadly.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Friendly Humour posted:

What happens in february?

I'm going to be returning to Amazonas for fieldwork and will have downtime in our camp to discuss all and sundry. We try to keep politics off the table though, since we have chavistas and opposition people on our dig crew.

Edit:

Munin posted:

Or being mistaken for an illegal strip mining operation by men with guns.

This really is my main concern, but mining operations and associated gangs are more in the interior of the state and to the north. We are to the south and west of the principal activity, and squarely in GNB/Army/Navy territory - people who we are generally on good terms with.

Of course, I could still die.

Vlex fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 20, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Today I saw one of my ex-employees and it shocked me to see how skinny he had gotten, he came to see if I could give him some food because he was starving, holy loving poo poo he was so skinny.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

El Hefe posted:

Today I saw one of my ex-employees and it shocked me to see how skinny he had gotten, he came to see if I could give him some food because he was starving, holy loving poo poo he was so skinny.

Jesus, that's sad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Vlex posted:

I'm going to be returning to Amazonas for fieldwork and will have downtime in our camp to discuss all and sundry. We try to keep politics off the table though, since we have chavistas and opposition people on our dig crew.

Edit:

This really is my main concern, but mining operations and associated gangs are more in the interior of the state and to the north. We are to the south and west of the principal activity, and squarely in GNB/Army/Navy territory - people who we are generally on good terms with.

Of course, I could still die.

Venezuela Megathread: Of Course, I Could Still Die

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

anonumos posted:

Jesus, that's sad.

it kinda broke my heart

how long can this go on?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

El Hefe posted:

it kinda broke my heart

how long can this go on?

If history is any guide, until several points are reached:

A) Malthusian dynamics play themselves out and population calorie consumption need equals national calorie production

B) People get so fed up with being hopeless that a random act--the Tunesian lighting themself ablaze--sparks a popular uprising which results in a reduced disparity between population calorie consumption need and national calorie production

C) A refugee crisis provokes a foreign power to eliminate the communist scourge from the Western hemisphere

I think I've ordered those scenarios in terms of most to least likely; unlike developing nations in Africa like Liberia and Somalia, Venezuelans lack strong tribal affiliations with distinct languages and so I just don't see your nation going the way of a stateless collapse. Much more likely that you become the mosquito-infested North Korea, but with Bolivarian characteristics.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

caberham posted:

I can't remember exactly where but I read about Venezuelan prostitutes being the new thing in, I think, Panama.

The extremely hot young women that have no job or family but upload pictures in Dubai or in a yatch in the Mediterranean are a Venezuelan icon too. Say it with me venegoons? Bendecida y afortunada. This isn't something specially new but I've seen a lot more cases and I have a lot of friends of a friend that fit the bill.

Hey if they're safe and not being abused, I wish them luck (they are probably being abused one way or the other :( )

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I know I can search on the net but what does Bendecida y afortunada mean?

Blessed and fortunate?

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

caberham posted:

I know I can search on the net but what does Bendecida y afortunada mean?

Blessed and fortunate?

Yes
:(

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It became a cliche'd phrase girls that ended up doing that kind of thing started using, kinda like saying "god blessed me with this good luck". Nowadays it's basically a meme relating to those people and their lifestyles.

Venezuelans are obsessed with social networks since ever and posing as being wealthier and more successful than what you really are is a very Caribbean thing that we also share.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

It's from the Cato Institute, so bear that in mind, but economists have calculated that hyperinflation (per established criteria they outline) officially hit Venezuela on November 11 and has not abated one bit since then.

https://www.cato.org/blog/venezuela-enters-record-book-officially-hyperinflates

From the paper:

Page 7 posted:

With this paper, we amend the Table and add Venezuela to the Rogues Gallery of hyperinflations. Venezuela passed the hyperinflation threshold on December 3, 2016. Venezuela is the 57th country to meet the three criteria required to qualify as a hyperinflation. Venezuela is now in the “record book.” It appears in the new, amended Hanke-Krus World Hyperinflation Table at the 23rd rank, with a peak monthly inflation rate of 221 percent recorded in November 2016. This puts Venezuela in between the USSR, which recorded a peak monthly inflation rate of 212 percent in February 1924 and Moldova, whose peak monthly inflation of 240 percent occurred in January 1992.

This is where the bias really shines through.

Concluding remarks posted:

Venezuela, welcome to the record books. You have now entered the inglorious sphere of hyperinflation. It is a world of economic chaos, wrenching poverty, and death. Its purveyors should be incarcerated, and the keys should be thrown away.

However, I can't see any glaring issues with their calculations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

It became a cliche'd phrase girls that ended up doing that kind of thing started using, kinda like saying "god blessed me with this good luck". Nowadays it's basically a meme relating to those people and their lifestyles.

Venezuelans are obsessed with social networks since ever and posing as being wealthier and more successful than what you really are is a very Caribbean thing that we also share.

How can Venezuelans be poor if they can still afford memes :mrgw:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jerry Cotton posted:

How can Venezuelans be poor if they can still afford memes :mrgw:

Because we're rich at heart.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
What's your hallaca situation like, Venegoons?

For the non-Venezuelans, no Christmas dinner is complete without hallacas. The closest thing I've had to one that you might be familiar with depending on where you live is a Mexican tamale, but hallacas are bigger and stuffed with more things. In the weeks leading up to Christmas, Venezuelan families get together and make as many hallacas as they can so that you can eat them all throughout December and hopefully into the new year. You can keep them in the freezer for a long time and they're delicious.

We get our hallacas here in Toronto from an elderly lady that we know through a family connection. There's five of us in our family, and we usually get just one for each of us because they're pretty expensive. Last year we paid about $9 for each. We save them for Christmas dinner.

I remember that when I was a child there'd be lots of excitement over at my grandma's house as everyone got together to do a marathon hallaca-making session. I suspect that's a thing of the past for most people now.

caberham posted:

I know through a personal connection that there's at least one Caribbean island that I will not name where prostitution by Venezuelan migrants has become a central concern for the Venezuelan embassy there, and that they've noticed not only an uptick in the instances of Venezuelan women traveling there to be prostitutes but also of undocumented Venezuelan migrants in general.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I'm the hipster Venezuelan who doesn't like hallacas (or baseball for that matter) so I haven't had "my first hallaca" of the year yet. I do like pan de jamon though.

That said, my mom bought 12 hallacas for Bs18000 so Bs1500 per hallaca, pretty cheap imho.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
So my wife is Venezuelan and we, plus her brother, made a huge batch of hallacas last year. It's pretty easy to find everything we need, but we are in a big city.

It's too much work man. I get why people do it if they have big families that can pitch in. Even setting up "stations" it turns into a pain in the rear end after like a few dozen.

That said hallacas and bollos are loving delicious. I'm with hefe here though, pan de jamon is better.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The most difficult ingredient to find abroad might be the plantain leaves and maybe the harina pan, otherwise the ingredients should be easily found almost everywhere. But yeah they are a lot of work.

Tbh what I don't like is capers and green olives, one time I ate an hallaca without those ingredients and love them but no one makes hallacas without them and I don't care enough to have some custom made for me...

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

El Hefe posted:

I'm the hipster Venezuelan who doesn't like hallacas (or baseball for that matter) so I haven't had "my first hallaca" of the year yet. I do like pan de jamon though.

I was like that, and I even hated the beach. Now I want my loving hallacas so bad oh god. The trick is to ask for them without olives and raisins!

Here in Madrid there are hundreds of Venezuelans trying to earn some extra money by selling them so I can just buy them for 5€ each. Not a bad deal, I even buy some for friends and co-workers!

gently caress doing them without at least 7 people though.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 22, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
One of my cousins has been visiting hospitals with his wife and her cousins and giving people food on the weekends

Back in 2003 or so we had to move our grandpa to a public hospital's ICU after the insurance ran out and back then he was extremely well taken care of, even better than in the private clinic he was in, and the only thing we had to buy and bring to the hospital were diapers, now patients don't even get enough food...

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I was like that, and I even hated the beach. Now I want my loving hallacas so bad oh god. The trick is to ask for them without olives and raisins!

Here in Madrid there are hundreds of Venezuelans trying to earn some extra money by selling them so I can just buy them for 5€ each. Not a bad deal, I even buy some for friends and co-workers!

gently caress doing them without at least 7 people though.

How do you get five Euros?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Baron Porkface posted:

How do you get five Euros?

It's not that hard considering I live in Madrid, I can just sit on the subway and ask for change for a few hours.

Edit: or steal it, since I'm from Caracas.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
PDVSA mortgaged 49.99% of Citgo to Russia's Rosneft

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=2427676&CategoryId=10717

that, in addition to this:

quote:

in October, in addition to a 20% bonus, PDVSA used 50.1% of Citgo Holding Inc. as collateral to induce $2.8 billion of holders of PDVSA debt maturing within the year to extend into a new 4 year amortizing bond. As a result, should PDVSA default, the holders of the new $3.4 billion PDVSA 8.5% of 2020 would be able to take 50.1% of Citgo Holding Inc.

means we pretty much don't own Citgo anymore

another win for the PSUV...

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
That seems like a risky investment; won't Venezuela just nationalize it like two days after they default, which I guess will be sometime in the next year or so? That would mean no one would invest further in Venezuela, but I can't imagine anyone sane would willingly invest there right now anyway except because of the "throwing good money after bad" issue.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DRUDGE_REPORT/status/812668161224884224

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Women in public hospitals are being sterilized after giving birth without asking them first either.

Considering women in barrios have five children by the time they are 20 (all by different fathers too) I don't think it's such a bad practice tbqh...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The two people I don't see the Venezuelan government screwing over are the Chinese and the Russians. I think the PSUV would let the country collapse into a pile of rubble and run off with all their money before they back-stabbed the only friends (with money) they've got left.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Chuck Boone posted:

The two people I don't see the Venezuelan government screwing over are the Chinese and the Russians. I think the PSUV would let the country collapse into a pile of rubble and run off with all their money before they back-stabbed the only friends (with money) they've got left.

Gotta have a place to flee to after everything collapses.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Saladman posted:

That seems like a risky investment; won't Venezuela just nationalize it like two days after they default, which I guess will be sometime in the next year or so? That would mean no one would invest further in Venezuela, but I can't imagine anyone sane would willingly invest there right now anyway except because of the "throwing good money after bad" issue.

Citgo is a US company so they can't just steal it back.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Women in public hospitals are being sterilized after giving birth without asking them first either.

Considering women in barrios have five children by the time they are 20 (all by different fathers too) I don't think it's such a bad practice tbqh...

gently caress off.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

El Hefe posted:

:raise:

I'm a big fan of voluntary sterilization (demonstrably so, in fact :v: ) and vaguely in favor of incentivized sterilization, but involuntary is, uh.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

The Lone Badger posted:

gently caress off.

lol of course some special snowflake got triggered

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Nah dude that's actually pretty gross.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah like you El Jefe but agitating for sterilization of classes of people you don't like is literally Nazi level stuff.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
if you think forced sterilization is gonna solve any of the problems your country is facing right now you are kind of crazy and are embracing some pretty heinous poo poo

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe he was going to say PSUV voters, but got tripped on class hatred