Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Rhyno posted:

Many of the SW minis were better than the books they replaced.

There's some wonderful irony in us getting an actual good version of Civil War as a minor tie-in to the event a year before Civil War II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

That's why it's rubbing me the wrong way, though. It seems to be tossing years of character development (that Bendis wrote himself, for fucksakes!) to revert her back to Alias state, because that's how she was in the TV show and the TV show was popular.

Let us not forget that the same month JJ 1 was released, he was writing happy, bantering couple Luke&Jess in Spider-Man. I have the hardest time giving this book a fair shot because this split between them doesn't anywhere near as earned as when they got together.

On top of that, Gaydos is not bringing his a-game here. Until she said her name, I thought the woman interrogating Jessica was an alternate Jessica since, aside from the hairstyle, she looked exactly the same!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I liked Spellbinder...

Outside of that, though, yeah, it wasn't a great assemblage of villains. The Jokerz and Blight were good, but the Jokerz were just two bit mooks for flavor and Blight was totally Norman Osborne. But the one shots were great.

Inque was ownage, she had several great episodes and was incredibly spooky. The best member of Terry's original rogues' gallery, I think. I'm sure most people remember the one with the prison guard who frees her because he wants to "be like her", and gets turned into a deformed gelatinous blob for his trouble. The one with her daughter is really good as well.

Oh, and Shriek is great, too. They're both characters with some element of personal tragedy or essential flaw which has driven them to scary extremes of villainy, and that's what you really need for a good Batman villain.

Blight I think is decent but amongst the back of the crop. He's only in the first season, and is just a sort of starter nemesis to motivate Terry before he's completely committed to being Batman. He's not bad, but he's the type of character that has a shelf life.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lurdiak posted:

I highly doubt you can prove that.

irlZaphod posted:

Infinity and Secret Wars were both great.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

Mad Stan was by far the best Batman Beyond villain

hi is it too late to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MduM0SCXlqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbmcgGsXyU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
As I grow older, I find myself sympathising with Mad Stan's ideas more and more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFpE_iNtWAo&t=106s

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I have a friend who shoots a video series primarily on local events and businesses, but he wanted to do a Christmas special, so he had me write a short film for the show. It is about Santa Claus fighting a werewolf. It was made on a budget of zero dollars, so it's not a Star War, but I think it came out all right. Give it a watch if you are so inclined: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOjBZlVvwVY

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Benito Cereno posted:

I have a friend who shoots a video series primarily on local events and businesses, but he wanted to do a Christmas special, so he had me write a short film for the show. It is about Santa Claus fighting a werewolf. It was made on a budget of zero dollars, so it's not a Star War, but I think it came out all right.

Why?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought it was cute.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Vision, Omega Men and Sheriff of Babylon are on sale. Have yourself a Tom King Christmas.
https://www.comixology.com/Massive-Marvel-Sale/page/13566?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
https://www.comixology.com/DCs-Best-of-2016-Sale/page/13563?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
(Prez's one and only trade is too. Poor Prez.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The nice thing about having friends who live around the world is that you always have a couch to crash on when traveling, the not nice thing is that when there is a terrorist attack and you got to worry about said friends living in the part of the world that was just hit. :smith:

All worth it.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

New Comic book reader: I like Captain Marvel gonna start reading a strong female protagonist... oh... where do I start? I guess never mind.

(also other captain marvel peaking out at the bottom)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

trashbuilder posted:

New Comic book reader: I like Captain Marvel gonna start reading a strong female protagonist... oh... where do I start?
With Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, ideally.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you like Captain Marvel and want to read good stories about her, the answer is None.

(Okay maybe the last one, I didn't read that.)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I like Carol a lot, but the DeConnick stuff was underwhelming. The 2nd collection listed there (In Pursuit of Flight) is probably the best of the bunch.

If you're looking for Strong Female Protagonist, I'd probably recommend Soule's She-Hulk over all of those. Or something along the lines of Batgirl or Batwoman, if you're not adverse to trying some DC.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I really wanted to like Captain Marvel because Carol is great and the costume is one of the best designs in the last thirty years of comic books but honestly they are all mediocre to actively bad. She deserves a lot better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We're making a big push and relaunch for Earth's Mightiest Avenger so let's take her to space.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

purple death ray posted:

I really wanted to like Captain Marvel because Carol is great and the costume is one of the best designs in the last thirty years of comic books but honestly they are all mediocre to actively bad. She deserves a lot better.

Carol's never really been great. She had the potential to be, but she spent her superhero career in a coma, drunk, angrily yelling, getting worried Dr. Doom calls her fat, murdering people, supporting fascism, getting raped by her own son... and throughout none of that is she particularly likeable as a character. I mean, there are no bad characters, only bad writers, but Danvers has yet to have her breakout role under a good writer. Sure as hell wasn't KSD.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I was being sarcastic, I was more pointing out how there is now indication which comes before which

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're actually in order, not that it makes that clear.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
they're all listed as vol 1, too

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Finally got to see one of these loonies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You've never seen a Bible thumper with a sign before?

Soonmot posted:

they're all listed as vol 1, too

It sells better that way obv

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Finally got to see one of these loonies.
Welcome to the outdoors?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can I just say congratulations to whomever the Marvel employee was that saw Westworld and immediately started getting Nick Fury vs SHIELD ready for release on Unlimited.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

You've never seen a Bible thumper with a sign before?

It sells better that way obv

I don't live in a big city. Where I live everyone is a bible thumper so signs are not needed. 😇

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Well, he tried.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Those are beautiful. I'm putting 'em in the Good Art thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

irlZaphod posted:

I like Carol a lot, but the DeConnick stuff was underwhelming. The 2nd collection listed there (In Pursuit of Flight) is probably the best of the bunch.

If you're looking for Strong Female Protagonist, I'd probably recommend Soule's She-Hulk over all of those. Or something along the lines of Batgirl or Batwoman, if you're not adverse to trying some DC.

DeConnick is not a very good writer so that explains that.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I found DeConnick's Captain Marvel pleasant, but not outstanding.

The most recent volume was pretty much torpedoed by Civil War II. The tie-ins were actually pretty good (made more sense than the main series, anyway), but overall the event was a big "Hey, you wasted your time with this series!" signal lighting up the sky.

I think Carol and I are going to take a break for a while.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aw the father of the owner of the comic shop I went to growing up passed away. He worked at the shop after retiring and I thought he was the owner for a long time since he was always there. Sad. :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We recently lost our former comic shop owner too. He sold it to his nephew who changed the name and location, but it'll always be Bobs Comics to me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When did Planetary start? I've been slowly going through New Mutants through X-Force and I'm on issue 102 of X-Force volume 1. It's Warren Ellis and it's basically Planetary with Pete Wisdom in the Elijah Snow role and some stuff about science cities and transdimensional travelers and such.

This is may 2000 issue.

EDIT: Also, what the gently caress even happened between 101 and 102? 101 is about all mutants losing their powers and now suddenly, every one is in black, thirty years old, and working for Wisdom. I was waiting for the reveal that this was an alternate reality all issue.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 21, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

X-O posted:

DeConnick is not a very good writer so that explains that.
That's not true, but ok.

Aphrodite posted:

They're actually in order, not that it makes that clear.
They're not, the middle volume was the first series iirc. That one was ok, it had some nice moments.

Soonmot posted:

EDIT: Also, what the gently caress even happened between 101 and 102? 101 is about all mutants losing their powers and now suddenly, every one is in black, thirty years old, and working for Wisdom. I was waiting for the reveal that this was an alternate reality all issue.
At the time all the X-Books went through a revamp where there was a 6 month time jump and a new status quo for each book set up. 3 of the books (X-Force, X-Man and Generation X) were overseen by Ellis, under the "Counter X" banner.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 21, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Soonmot posted:

101 is part of an X-event that's tied up in Uncanny.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

When did Planetary start?

The initial preview came out in mid-late 1998, #1 came out in early '99.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Three issues in it flashes back and reveals what went down. I think I was just getting back into comic books around this time, but I wasn't getting any Marvel or non-Vertigo DC.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

redbackground posted:

The initial preview came out in mid-late 1998, #1 came out in early '99.

And the final issue (#27) came out in 2009.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

And the final issue (#27) came out in 2009.

Which never ceases to make me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey, what the gently caress happened to Miracleman? They get two issues away from being all caught up and then just... stop? There are two issues to still reprint, it's not even like they're waiting on new content yet! Was the whole thing just an elaborate troll?

• Locked thread