Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

very relatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Davincie posted:

the manga about competitive quizzing is getting an anime. im always a fan of the weirder sport series and this will probably fit

https://twitter.com/iqura_s/status/810772769717751808

finally a sports anime for me

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Now that I finally have time to watch anime, it's time to watch... all the shows I didn't have time to finish from the last couple seasons.

Things from this season to add to the ever increasing backlog:

Konosuba
Dragon Maid
LWA (but first I have to watch the second short movie)

Not much to get really excited over this season, which is a good thing since that's less to add to the backlog.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Maybe we don't need a best of thread this year, CR's got it covered:
https://theanimeawards.com/
So many options!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

darkgray posted:

So many options!

Everyone's ripping off your gig this year since you retired.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh no, Crunchyrolls is like the Oscars with a select few nominations and categories and stuff. At least I have til January 3 to think it over.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not that I care much about popularity contests, but dang is that a small animation section.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The prestigious Anime Award for Best Girl

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

At least BEST BOY has Reigen, the clear winner.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

aoty joker game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

where's heybot

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

aoty joker game

It had good abs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

where's heybot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this crunchyroll poll sucks. they didn't even pick the coolest scene from mob psycho

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They didn't even put Flying Witch or Tanaka-kun in AOTY, or Ohta or Miyaaaano in best guy/girl.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How the gently caress is Eupho not even nominated for best animation?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe polling for nominees and having more than four in a category would be good choices next year. also feels kinda weird to see kabaneri and yoi in for best animation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

How the gently caress is Eupho not even nominated for best animation?

I'm gonna guess these nominations were made with a lot of influence from CR's viewing numbers. they've mentioned at least once that S2 of Eupho has been way less popular.

but also the nominees are dumb, so

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
lol the ed section is missing the clear above and beyond winner. gonna keep flip flap flip flapping past this awards thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
basing nominations for things like best animation off of viewership is, well, it's loving stupid!

i'm glad flip flappers got nominated i guess but the general lack of variety just because of a few super popular shows is really annoying

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

I'm gonna guess these nominations were made with a lot of influence from CR's viewing numbers. they've mentioned at least once that S2 of Eupho has been way less popular.

Still a little odd - fuckin' nobody's watching Flip Flappers, and that got the animation nom over Eupho despite looking a bit worse IMO. Granted, it has a more distinct style than Eupho's largely realistic approach, but still.

And of course that's the only nomination Flip Flaps gets. No best couple, no best character, no best op or ed. :sigh:

dogsicle posted:

but also the nominees are dumb, so

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 21, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

who cares

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I care deeply about the results of the crunchyroll poll and the kids' choice awards, thank you very much

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Awards are dumb and fun. But, that poo poo is way too heavy on Kabaneri and Kiznaiver wth.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Parallax posted:

who cares

this but for all polls

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

darkgray posted:

So many options!

Hahaha that's pretty terrible. Four options isn't enough and there are some inexplicable nominations (or lack thereof).

The Re:Zero fans are going to be pissed.

(Somebody please run an SA best of year thread)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm gonna say it, re:zero is a better drama than erased or kiznaiver

also yuri on ice has an amazing opening that definitely fits, but i don't think the ending is as good and i think you could find a better pick for its slot

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Agronox posted:

Hahaha that's pretty terrible. Four options isn't enough and there are some inexplicable nominations (or lack thereof).

The Re:Zero fans are going to be pissed.

(Somebody please run an SA best of year thread)

the best of thread will be up on the 26th or 27th

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the best of thread will be up on the 26th or 27th

poo poo I don't have a lot of time to catch up on this season

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also flip flaps and probably some other shows aren't going to be finished until the end of the year, although I'm willing to bet anyone who would vote for those shows is already decided

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'm doing anime awards, some sample categories are "best shin-chan movie i watched this year" and "best 52 episode anime from the 80s that i watched 3 episodes of and then forgot about"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Parallax posted:

i'm doing anime awards, some sample categories are "best shin-chan movie i watched this year" and "best 52 episode anime from the 80s that i watched 3 episodes of and then forgot about"

what are the nominees

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Parallax posted:

I think Vifam is the only non seasonal anime I finished this year

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

what are the nominees

-shin chan movie 1
-shin chan movie 2
-shin chan movie 3
-shin chan movie 5

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Satoru and Kayo being nominated for Best Couple is kind of gross. (Also, can they even be considered a couple, since she ends up marrying someone else and has a kid with them?)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah it's weird that they picked that over literally any other couple. i don't really know why erased placed so high in general, it has some really cool aspects but i feel like its popularity has faded pretty hard since it finished airing and there have been quite a few better drama shows

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
The limited selection is really dumb. 2016 had tons of anime with great animation! And Yuri on Ice of all shows is really baffling for that category. I like the show and I like MAPPA but they seem to really struggle to keep their production from completely falling apart.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There are plenty of really strange picks, so I'm not sure why people are really giving much thought to it. For an example, even aside from the overabundance of Kabaneri among the categories in general, they have Mumei up for both Best Girl and Best Hero. I'm sorry, CR, but did we watch the same show? The one where Mumei spent plenty of time sulking, loving up and/or obeying Mr. Evil Pink Hair? I'm pretty sure you could have found a better pick for both those slots fairly easily.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The omnipresence of Kabaneri reeks of payola. Also, whoever nominated Joker Game for multiple categories needs to learn that serious does not necessarily equate to good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

apparently the 7 judges had no contact or awareness of the other votes and CR decided to run with their mess of overrepresented shows, ignoring the breadth of anime we had this year. and buying into the idea that shows like kabaneri, joker game, and erased were good.

• Locked thread