Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The RE7 demo is promising, but my biggest complaint is that if you are going to give someone a gun then you can't make the only enemy in the game practically invulnerable to it. Chekov's Gun has been a trope forever, it seems like they would know it by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The RE7 demo is promising, but my biggest complaint is that if you are going to give someone a gun then you can't make the only enemy in the game practically invulnerable to it. Chekov's Gun has been a trope forever, it seems like they would know it by now.

I assumed that the gun kinda sucks because of how much easier it is to aim in first person.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Based on previews, there's a mix between the Chainsaw Massacre family stalking you like Amnesia monsters and the actual zombie action. I'm sure they weave reasons into the narrative to disarm you so you're forced to hide when the family comes through. Or maybe it's like Alien where you shoot them and they run off or it's like Nemesis where they keep getting up.

1stGear posted:

Its pretty entertaining watching HarshlyCritical play a VR game and admitting that its a mediocre game while leaping out of his goddamn skin at every jump scare.

The Kitchen demo is neat because it's a totally not-scary scenario (badly animated zombie woman stabs you with a knife) but the feeling of having your space invaded was not something I expected and is amazingly effective. gently caress playing any trash FNAF knock off games in VR.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Also the zombie is different and kind of more siren-y than usual. I mean, its probably nothing new as far as Wesker goes, but its nice to have something different than the regular zombie we've all seen and killed by the trillions.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

It reminds me more of RE4 regenerators than Siren though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

al-azad posted:

Based on previews, there's a mix between the Chainsaw Massacre family stalking you like Amnesia monsters and the actual zombie action. I'm sure they weave reasons into the narrative to disarm you so you're forced to hide when the family comes through. Or maybe it's like Alien where you shoot them and they run off or it's like Nemesis where they keep getting up.

Yup, it's this. The Baker family can even survive being immolated in fire.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Must. Finish. RE6. Must. Keep. Playing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mindblast posted:

It reminds me more of RE4 regenerators than Siren though.

Well I see more of Siren in them because they still have their personalities, or maybe that's just the head of the family and no one else?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Well I see more of Siren in them because they still have their personalities, or maybe that's just the head of the family and no one else?

I think the two of you are getting a bit confused. There's the Baker family who all have their own personalities and are seemingly unkillable, then there is a new zombie type of enemy in Resident Evil 7, who are more like the Regenerators from RE 4.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Friday the 13th: The Game beta is up until the 24th for anyone that pre-ordered, pre-ordering gets you 4 extra keys to pass out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So apparently streamers preorders have received early copies of the new Friday the 13th game.

pro: it's like Dead by Daylight, a cool idea

con: It's like Dead by Daylight, a bad game

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think the two of you are getting a bit confused. There's the Baker family who all have their own personalities and are seemingly unkillable, then there is a new zombie type of enemy in Resident Evil 7, who are more like the Regenerators from RE 4.

Man, I know jackshit about RE7.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Crabtree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9K1uUV17PA

If you want to see the Bakers in action.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Crabtree posted:

Ah I get the confusion now. Yeah you're referring to the Bakers butttt they seem way more sane than the average shibito.

E: still crazy by any definition really.

EE: anyone notice the demo is a vram guzzler? Easily eats every byte it can get its hands on at max settings @ 1680x1050. Tried changing the AA but that barely made a difference and it is the thing my 970 hangs on. All other aspects are fine. Besides texturing what else eats a lot of ram?

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 20, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So apparently streamers preorders have received early copies of the new Friday the 13th game.

pro: it's like Dead by Daylight, a cool idea

con: It's like Dead by Daylight, a bad game

Apparently it's Dead by Daylight, but good. So the best of both worlds.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You don't do poo poo in DbD except run or stalk.

You actually have multiple objectives/strats in this game. It looks way better and as long as you can make a group of friends (which you couldn't do in DbD for a long time, maybe still can't?) it will be fun for a bit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You absolutely can group with friends in DbD and it is a good game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I went ahead and got it, PM me for the two keys I have to give away.

E. all gone!

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 20, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm betting that the Bakers are just some hilly billys that lived downstream of an Umbrella labratory

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Resident Evil 7 is actually a romantic comedy, where the protagonist has to convince his in-laws that he is good for their daughter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm betting that the Bakers are just some hilly billys that lived downstream of an Umbrella labratory

The gritty reboot of The Oblongs that I've been waiting so long for

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Was gonna say, Nothing But Trouble reboot looking good.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

weekly font posted:

You don't do poo poo in DbD except run or stalk.

You actually have multiple objectives/strats in this game. It looks way better and as long as you can make a group of friends (which you couldn't do in DbD for a long time, maybe still can't?) it will be fun for a bit.

Right now, you can only do group play in private matches in Friday the 13th. Hopefully that changes.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really want to try the beta of Friday the 13th, but not enough to bite the bullet to buy the whole game. Will draw fun picture of Jason Voorhees for beta code.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Friday the 13th impressions, on the ~8 matches I was able to get in over the last few hours (yay beta servers)

1. Putting Jason's abilities in "tiers" unlocked over time is a good idea, although it could go a bit slower. Right now I've only played one match as him but it was pretty easy to kill people.
2. Fans of DbD infinite window juking rejoice, it's back.
3. Objectives are pretty good, but calling the cops is too easy. I guess Jason could focus on killing the power, but as it is you can either chase down several parts to fix the car...or just call the cops and wait five minutes.

A lot of the issues with the beta can probably be chalked up to lag, but we'll see if it improves. The characters handle like tanks at times.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Call the cops? Jason kills the loving cops! The proper endgame should be finding Jasons hidden McGuffin that drops his invincibility so the sole survivor can beat the poo poo out of him.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

al-azad posted:

Call the cops? Jason kills the loving cops! The proper endgame should be finding Jasons hidden McGuffin that drops his invincibility so the sole survivor can beat the poo poo out of him.

Its kind of funny, if Jason tries to chase the survivors past the "saved by the cops" gate they light him up like the Fourth Of July and knock him down.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lmao good.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Its kind of funny, if Jason tries to chase the survivors past the "saved by the cops" gate they light him up like the Fourth Of July and knock him down.

That was the only good part of Jason Goes To Hell. Movie starts with Jason stalking some woman and this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIILYLOx6os

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
That part was great finally getting to see Jason caught by an army of guys with guns and blown up. Teleport this bitch!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think the game is borderline playable already. There are a few glitches I've seen occur and the camera following still living players once you're dead needs work, but other than that I'm having more fun with this already than I did Dead by Daylight. Yes, I could see it getting stale if the new maps/Jasons/counselor perks don't add some flavor to the game, but seeing what the small team of devs (who clearly love the franchise) have done already gives me some hopes.

The biggest problem is that people don't read what stats do, so everyone is playing as the black girl because she has good speed/stam but not realizing her lack of composure is getting her bodied on one or two catches.

e: matchmaking is still kinda poo poo but this is obviously a stress test so it's excused

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 21, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dandywalken posted:

Was gonna say, Nothing But Trouble reboot looking good.

We haven't seen grampa Baker yet, he could have a dicknose.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Republicans posted:

That was the only good part of Jason Goes To Hell. Movie starts with Jason stalking some woman and this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIILYLOx6os

I don't know really anything about the series, but please tell me that was the end of the movie, because having Jason be vapourized by literal actual mortar strikes is more perfect an ending than I could have come up with myself :allears:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Terrible Opinions posted:

You absolutely can group with friends in DbD and it is a good game.

Living up to that username. The game is a dumpster fire.

Friday the 13th is really good but they need to fix the stamina issue, it regens way too slowly to the point where once you use it up you're probably never going to have a full bar again.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Danaru posted:

I don't know really anything about the series, but please tell me that was the end of the movie, because having Jason be vapourized by literal actual mortar strikes is more perfect an ending than I could have come up with myself :allears:

Unfortunately that was just the beginning of Jason Goes To Hell

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

s.i.r.e. posted:

Living up to that username. The game is a dumpster fire.

Friday the 13th is really good but they need to fix the stamina issue, it regens way too slowly to the point where once you use it up you're probably never going to have a full bar again.

Everyone is playing as the black girl now but it's a mistake. Running isn't everything. There are also stamina perks you should be beelining your CP for.

At the same time I don't entirely disagree with you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The black character is the best runner you say :allears:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

If it was realistic, she would be statted to be the first to die.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

al-azad posted:

The girl with big glasses is the smartest.

chitoryu12 posted:

If it was realistic, she would be statted to be the first to die.

I mean, people see best running and figure they'll be a poo poo to Jason, most times she is the first one to get hacked up :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

al-azad posted:

The other black character, who isn't in the game but has some kickstarter art, is an athlete as well. There's also a fat white nerd, a douchebag aryan, girl with big breasts, and an asian with glasses.

It's F13 as gently caress.