Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Jimbot posted:

Nah, they didn't care for it that much. They didn't think the characters were memorable and the drama was only skin deep that felt forced. They also took umbrage from the tone, but I kind of expected that sort of criticism from them seeing how any deviation from expectation is considered bad or, at best, misguided. But the gags in the review itself is well worth watching it, even if you find the tone policing they tend to do tiring.

Yeah, this one's an "agree to disagree" with them. TFA was a much better executed movie, but felt pretty much hollow to me. Rogue One had some flaws in the execution but was trying to do something new. I think the reshoots made for a disjointed beginning where they had to keep in weak and scattered scenes to hold the plot together, but the ending was pretty tight. I prefer Rogue one to TFA, they prefer the opposite, it happens.

The overt referencing in both movies was annoying as gently caress, however.

Edit: Also, I found the review kinda ironic that they feel Rogue One is built for dedicated neckbeard fanboys but apparently their enlightened vision of Star Wars is that any major deviation in tone somehow makes it Not Star Wars and therefore bad. I'm pretty sure demanding it always be the same is more a fanboy thing, but hey, what do I know. It just seemed like a heavy dose of "If you like this movie you're a bad person" which seems a bit heavy handed.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Their criticism that Captain America Civil War was too serious was pretty dumb imo

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stillvisions posted:

Yeah, this one's an "agree to disagree" with them. TFA was a much better executed movie, but felt pretty much hollow to me. Rogue One had some flaws in the execution but was trying to do something new. I think the reshoots made for a disjointed beginning where they had to keep in weak and scattered scenes to hold the plot together, but the ending was pretty tight. I prefer Rogue one to TFA, they prefer the opposite, it happens.

The overt referencing in both movies was annoying as gently caress, however.

Edit: Also, I found the review kinda ironic that they feel Rogue One is built for dedicated neckbeard fanboys but apparently their enlightened vision of Star Wars is that any major deviation in tone somehow makes it Not Star Wars and therefore bad. I'm pretty sure demanding it always be the same is more a fanboy thing, but hey, what do I know. It just seemed like a heavy dose of "If you like this movie you're a bad person" which seems a bit heavy handed.

I dunno man that kind of seems like an awful lot of projection.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

stillvisions posted:

Edit: Also, I found the review kinda ironic that they feel Rogue One is built for dedicated neckbeard fanboys but apparently their enlightened vision of Star Wars is that any major deviation in tone somehow makes it Not Star Wars and therefore bad.

This isn't really a RLM specific thing, to be fair. I think their (and other's) issue comes from wanting to maintain an existing self-identifier ("I am a Star Wars fan") with new realities ("I do not enjoy these new Star Wars movies"), and trying to suss out how to balance those two statements out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Augus posted:

Their criticism that Captain America Civil War was too serious was pretty dumb imo

They're comic book movies not drama book movies!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Star Wars fans literally don't know what they want, especially regarding novelty/tone.
Although I will say that characterization was significantly weaker in Rogue One than it was in TFA, and if that kills it for you, then I perfectly understand. Rogue One had better visual direction and I appreciated seeing Star Wars stuff from a different perspective. I think TFA is the better movie at the end of the day, but I don't have a problem with Rogue One.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spark That Bled posted:

For some reason, that summation just makes me think of the Irate Gamer "scandal" review of Super Mario 2.

I'm trying to watch this actual review and he loses me within like ten seconds. Was the original Super Mario Bros really that important around the time of Super Mario 2?

I would much rather watch The Irate Gamer than Game Overthinker, because the former at least works as an unwitting parody of internet critics.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

somekindofguy posted:

Has the word degenerate been thrown around on this thread yet

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: Entartete Kunts

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Jonathon McIntosh here to ruin your day with the latest hot takes.

I mean there have been a lot of crappy takes today about this, but this is something else. Something special.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I normally can't stand a lot of what McIntosh has to say, but I'm not really seeing the issue about this one?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Every character in Overwatch was designed by the horniest people in the industry (outside of WayForward) so good luck with that one, McIntosh.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I mean there have been a lot of crappy takes today about this, but this is something else. Something special.

The man is fueled by righteous indignation. He's that liberal people think of when they picture the snobby elitist who thinks they're better than everyone else for just being liberal. At this point, I honestly think he's just doing it to score brownie points.

Roth posted:

I normally can't stand a lot of what McIntosh has to say, but I'm not really seeing the issue about this one?

His overt message is OK, but I just get the impression that she's not Zarya so she can't be queer because she fits the male definition of "ideal beauty" (petite, spunky, attactive, athletic, probably likes video games). He wants Blizzard to design characters who make straight males uncomfortable, whatever the gently caress that means, and if he means characters like Zarya then only those characters should be assigned a sexuality that isn't well represented in a game.

I hate saying this poo poo but it sounds like the dude is just man/straight-splaining on behalf of a demographic he doesn't quite understand.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 20, 2016

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can any Overwatch fans Explain Like I'm Five the issue behind this?

But yeah, McIntonish is basically Whiteprogressives.txt

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just now realized that Bob Chipman and Jim Sterling are different people.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This reminds me of something else I saw recently.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

People mad about the British Dyke being a Dyke and making a fuss over it. Tracer is the poster child of controversy in regards to Overwatch.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, I can understand not liking the characters. I think they were fine but whatever.

My only real complaint is Vader's scene where he talks to and chokes the Director of the Death Star project was pointless. Plus, something seemed off with the costume. Like they only had a couple of hours to put a Vader costume together and shoot th scene so they just grabbed a Vader helmet from a Disney store nearby.

But I really liked Rouge One. It gave me what I wanted from a non mainline Star Wars movie, a wider look at the universe. Like different planets and people not related to the Skywalkers. Plus I love the idea of Resistance fighters who the Rebel Alliance wants nothing to do with.

Hey Marvel! Get us a Saul Guerra comic!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jimbot posted:

His overt message is OK, but I just get the impression that she's not Zarya so she can't be queer because she fits the male definition of "ideal beauty" (petite, spunky, attactive, athletic, probably likes video games). He wants Blizzard to design characters who make straight males uncomfortable, whatever the gently caress that means, and if he means characters like Zarya then only those characters should be assigned a sexuality that isn't well represented in a game.

I hate saying this poo poo but it sounds like the dude is just man/straight-splaining on behalf of a demographic he doesn't quite understand.
Making Zarya the only lesbian would be a significantly worse bit of stereotyping and awkwardness though.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Jack Gladney posted:

I just now realized that Bob Chipman and Jim Sterling are different people.

Did you never listen to either of them speak?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

So The Golden One filed a copyright claim on my video. Obviously, criticism is fair use - but filing a counter claim means you have to give your address.

I'm fairly certain I won't be murdered by the UK Stormfronters who inevitably get ahold of this information, but just in case, I love you all, and it's been a pleasure arguing with you about anime

Hail Kultmarx

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

So The Golden One filed a copyright claim on my video. Obviously, criticism is fair use - but filing a counter claim means you have to give your address.

I'm fairly certain I won't be murdered by the UK Stormfronters who inevitably get ahold of this information, but just in case, I love you all, and it's been a pleasure arguing with you about anime

Hail Kultmarx

H.Bomb...May the force be with you.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hbomberguy posted:

Hail Kultmarx

Hunted down by a Swedish bodybuilder on a dark moor, truly a terrible fate.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, I can understand not liking the characters. I think they were fine but whatever.

My only real complaint is Vader's scene where he talks to and chokes the Director of the Death Star project was pointless. Plus, something seemed off with the costume. Like they only had a couple of hours to put a Vader costume together and shoot th scene so they just grabbed a Vader helmet from a Disney store nearby.

But I really liked Rouge One. It gave me what I wanted from a non mainline Star Wars movie, a wider look at the universe. Like different planets and people not related to the Skywalkers. Plus I love the idea of Resistance fighters who the Rebel Alliance wants nothing to do with.

Hey Marvel! Get us a Saul Guerra comic!

I'm gonna be one of the fat idiots RLM talked about and say that the ending scene where Vader wrecked shop like a slasher villain was genuinely awesome. With the exception of that dumb choking pun, Vader was on point in this movie. I love the way you got a silhouette of his charred body, but didn't actually see much. He was shot like a movie monster. It was so good. That ending scene really restored a lot of the menace he had lost over the years.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He's been portrayed really well in Rebels too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spark That Bled posted:

Did you never listen to either of them speak?

Of course not.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Beefstew posted:

I'm gonna be one of the fat idiots RLM talked about and say that the ending scene where Vader wrecked shop like a slasher villain was genuinely awesome. With the exception of that dumb choking pun, Vader was on point in this movie. I love the way you got a silhouette of his charred body, but didn't actually see much. He was shot like a movie monster. It was so good. That ending scene really restored a lot of the menace he had lost over the years.

Oh yeaht. THAT scene is loving awesome, but if I was director that would be the only Vader scene. Maybe him overseeing the battle as the Rebels retreat.

By the way, that Final space battle was awesome as well. Was that ALL Practical?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Violet_Sky posted:

The new Christmas comic for Overwatch reveals Tracer is happily involved in a relationship with a woman named Emily (She's not another playable Hero, if you're wondering, just a comic character).

The real highlight of the comic is how Roadhog and Junkrat spend christmas; going to Luna Park :allears: (it's an Australian amusement park)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The new Christmas comic for Overwatch reveals Tracer is happily involved in a relationship with a woman named Emily (She's not another playable Hero, if you're wondering, just a comic character).

The real highlight of the comic is how Roadhog and Junkrat spend christmas; going to Luna Park :allears: (it's an Australian amusement park)

I hope these all collected in a physical book at some point. I would buy it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hbomberguy posted:

Hail Kultmarx

Don't worry, the laws of historical inevitability will protect you.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kunster posted:

As an agent of JDPON I'm bringing Kimble Justice doing a skype interview with one of the more notorious C64 composers:

https://twitter.com/KimxxxJustice/status/809699064900186113

What a time we live in where, just last week, I wanted a video on the history of Giana sisters and knew Kim Justice would have me covered.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

Hail Kultmarx

That guy's probably really short and runs like poo poo because his bulk balances his body weirdly. I believe in your ability to escape his vengeance. He probably barely comes up to like chest level.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Terrible Opinions posted:

Making Zarya the only lesbian would be a significantly worse bit of stereotyping and awkwardness though.

yeah, tracer being the unexpected gay character actually owns? she's practically a symbol of the game's entire aesthetic ideals, that they would make her gay is unexpected and cool

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cat doter posted:

yeah, tracer being the unexpected gay character actually owns? she's practically a symbol of the game's entire aesthetic ideals, that they would make her gay is unexpected and cool

The real surprise of the comic is that Tracer can take that chest-mounted rig off. The general implication til now has been that that's the only thing keeping her from phasing randomly through time and space.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My general take was that she wears those croc shoes of hers on the couch. I mean, really! Take your drat shoes off before you put your feet on the couch. Rude!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cat doter posted:

Mcintosh is a dummy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Terrible Opinions posted:

I was expecting Zarya to be lesbian or possibly Sombra but it being Tracer is definitely out of left-field in a good way. Am curious though if they're gonna make any of the male characters bi/gay at some point.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Augus posted:

Mcintosh is a dummy.

he's kind of the poster child of male feminists in some circles which is just the worst

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What a time we live in where, just last week, I wanted a video on the history of Giana sisters and knew Kim Justice would have me covered.

I also honestly advise the Tec Toy vid since usually when I look for coverage of Brazilian Sega stuff it goes to messy "RARRARR WHY DON'T WE HAVE PINOCHET" poo poo while this one actually bothers to find a decent explanation for why games are expensive there!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beefstew posted:

That was my general sense of it too. Like the literal word-for-word thought that went through my head as I watched that final scene was "holy gently caress, it's been 15 years but I am terrified of Darth Vader again :stonk:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
For me, Star Wars has always been about the characters - not the ten billion EU characters, but the main ones. I mean, there's lots of great fun stuff in the original films, but we get to like Luke as he grows from frustrated farm boy to hero, or Han as he grows from selfish hustler to a rogue with a heart of gold. That's what TFA nailed - Finn, Rey and Poe are likable characters and enjoyed watching their adventures and I'm interested in seeing what happens to them next in Episode 8. The prequel films had dull characters who had no personality, aside from being annoying or angry.

Rogue One looked pretty, and the third act was really good with the battle stuff, but the characters weren't interesting. We were given reasons and character moments to care about Rey, what was Jyn's character? What made her team special? They weren't a ragtag group of colourful misfits, they felt like faceless random people shoved together. It's a shame, because it was a really well made film with a great cast, but it felt filler-y and I found myself not caring that much until the final act.

I'm not as down on it as the RLM guys were, but it did feel like a story that should have been told in a comic book or a novel or video game, not a movie.

Can anyone explain the AVGN Christmas special? I don't get the joke at all, and I normally really like the AVGN Christmas episodes.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 21, 2016

• Locked thread