Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I think we are well near that mark.. minimum wage has been too low for years but as I mentioned before most of the miserable shitters who are clamoring for it are not worth what they are getting now because their real issue is they want an easy paycheck with no effort required so more money won't solve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

demonR6 posted:

I think we are well near that mark.. minimum wage has been too low for years

Just end the post here and move on. I hardly think that the Disney World thread is the place to debate the rest of your post.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

tomapot posted:

:woop: Booked our spring break trip! :woop: For the first time we are taking someone else with us, breaking our own rule for vacations. But it is my sister-in-law, who just went through a divorce, and my niece who has never been to Disney. They were so excited as we were booking the trip, they have had such a lovely couple years dealing with the ex-husband, seeing them light up with excitement was well worth it.

Bringing this thread back on track, forgot to mention we are staying at the Boardwalk. The theming is not as awesome as Fort Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom or Polly but proximity to Epcot / DHS can't be beat. Plus the kids are 15/16 so it is a great spot to give them freedom, lots of stuff to do in that loop of resorts.

I just need to set aside my rush through and hit my favorites mentality since we'll have newbies in the group. Want to show them an awesome time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tomapot posted:

Bringing this thread back on track, forgot to mention we are staying at the Boardwalk. The theming is not as awesome as Fort Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom or Polly but proximity to Epcot / DHS can't be beat. Plus the kids are 15/16 so it is a great spot to give them freedom, lots of stuff to do in that loop of resorts.

I just need to set aside my rush through and hit my favorites mentality since we'll have newbies in the group. Want to show them an awesome time.

The lodges are prettier, but I love all the stuff there is on the Boardwalk. They've even got some classic boardwalk entertainment like plate spinners who show up at night.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
I'm planning on booking a trip in a few months, and can't decide between BW, BC, or YC (want to do an Epcot resort this time around). They all seem to be basically the same price. Is there anything that sets one above the rest? It'll be for next winter, so I don't think stormalong is as big a draw as it might be otherwise.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Pretty sure the pool at YC is heated. We enjoyed it last Christmas.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Aren't all the pools on property heated? I figure since Pop has heated pools everywhere does. I could be wrong in that assumption though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wish the Disney Christmas party wasn't so much, the short wait times seem so nice

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Empress Brosephine posted:

Wish the Disney Christmas party wasn't so much, the short wait times seem so nice

I did it on the day I arrived. Given you can enter the park at 4pm and its ends at 12, I found it was well worth the price.

We basically rode every single ride in the park and the longest standby was ~30 mins for 7DMT. If I had pulled the trigger earlier on party tickets and been able to do FP+ 60 days out, we would have been even more efficient.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I really loved the short wait times. Walking on to Jingle Cruise with no wait was my highlight- I loved it! Just wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere with 1/10th of the crowd was worth the ticket price for me.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

couldcareless posted:

Aren't all the pools on property heated? I figure since Pop has heated pools everywhere does. I could be wrong in that assumption though.

Yes. all the Disney pools are heated to, I believe, 82 degrees. Which is not nearly warm enough to get my fat rear end in a pool in the winter.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Why is it so impossible to meet one of the BRER characters :qq:

Because Disney is constantly running away from Song of the South (as it should). Only reliable is B'rer Rabbit on Easter.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Dedicated entrances to all four parks for APs starting next week through at least January

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/breaking-dedicated-park-entrance-for-annual-passholders-during-the-holidays/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat I should've went next week.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went to Disney springs again. Was pleasant although I think it's set up weird with stores hidden down side alleys etc.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Went to Disney springs again. Was pleasant although I think it's set up weird with stores hidden down side alleys etc.

I like the layout a lot even if it can be quite confusing. Disney is quite literally turning it into their own little city.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's very pretty the only downside is if you go late enough you run into drunk idiot city.

Saw a lot of puke last night at Epcot also lol.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So busy at MK today wow

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hoop de due was a blast thanks for the recommendation guys. Then pay ride back though has a hour wait holy Miley

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm looking to book a trip for Disney World in 2018 and since I live all the way in Edmonton the plane ticket is going to be pretty drat pricey so I'm looking to cut costs any drat way I can. Right now I'm looking to go during off-season both to get on rides fast and not to pay out the rear end for hotels and such. Which off-season is best? I'm completely open both in terms of crowds but especially for weather.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm looking to book a trip for Disney World in 2018 and since I live all the way in Edmonton the plane ticket is going to be pretty drat pricey so I'm looking to cut costs any drat way I can. Right now I'm looking to go during off-season both to get on rides fast and not to pay out the rear end for hotels and such. Which off-season is best? I'm completely open both in terms of crowds but especially for weather.

I believe the best way to get through a trip cheaply is to hope that free dining happens in 2018 and target those dates. In 2016, these were:

quote:

August 23 through October 1
November 15 through 21
November 26 through 28
December 10 through 21

The internet says that Free Dining started August 14 for our neighbors to the north. You can probably get away with booking a cheaper hotel than on-resort, but then you have a few more logistics to deal with and food becomes an issue. Disney offers free dining because they otherwise have issues filing hotels, so you're probably looking at cheaper rates. I'm sure Braksgirl can give specifics.

We went labor day week of September and the place was very, very quiet, and we paid a very reasonable price for a relatively extravagant trip. Waited no more than 30 minutes for pretty much everything, was able to book 4th FP at Frozen, whole nine yards of "place was pretty empty." The downsides are that the weather is more likely than not to be goddamned miserable that time of year, with extremely hot, sticky weather, and a high possibility of afternoon showers any given day. That being said, there are always plenty of places to cool off or get out of the rain. Also, pack ponchos.

Also, on the chance you haven't thought about it, consider opening a new (probably not Disney) credit card. I don't know how things are for Canadians, but at least here in the States, if you have good credit, it's pretty easy to get a big enough sign up bonus on a new credit card to completely pay for airfare.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 18, 2016

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

End of Jan/early Feb is my favorite time to go. There's no real dead time anymore, but that time frame is a nice balance of weather/lower crowds, I think.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Rain doesn't bother me too much, if its in the 20s Celsius range in January I am absolutely fine with that alone.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Justin Godscock posted:

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Rain doesn't bother me too much, if its in the 20s Celsius range in January I am absolutely fine with that alone.

Well, I can tell you it's very rarely 65 - 70 during the daytime unless it's raining. I went Jan of this year and it still was close to 80 F during the day.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was 86 today!!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Braksgirl posted:

Well, I can tell you it's very rarely 65 - 70 during the daytime unless it's raining. I went Jan of this year and it still was close to 80 F during the day.

There are a few days, usually in January/February where it can get pretty chilly for Florida. Low 40s to early 50s for the entire day. It's not terrible if you come places where it goes below freezing, but still might require a sweatshirt/light jacket, especially as it gets darker out.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm going to second what someone above me said for crowds - I went this year around Labor Day weekend, flying in that Sunday (9/4) and flying out that Thursday (9/8). Even on Labor Day I didn't see so many people at the park I went to (Animal Kingdom), and things weren't too bad the following days (One day at Universal, one day at Epcot, and the day I landed we wandered around Disney Springs). Basically, early September, when most US kids have just started school, is where it's at.

Weather wasn't so bad either, there was a torrent the day I landed late afternoon-early evening (so when you're just resting up to prep for a full day at the parks) and the remaining days were bright and sunny; a little humid, but I traversed the parks in jeans and survived.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How reliable are non bus cast members for park rumors? I heard from two different cms that Figment is going to be taken away soon from JII. One said "a secret they're telling cast members and her daughter works at Epcot and was told that they're going to pull Figment gear soon. "

Wasn't sure if any of this was reliable or the equivalent of bus drivers.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

How reliable are non bus cast members for park rumors? I heard from two different cms that Figment is going to be taken away soon from JII. One said "a secret they're telling cast members and her daughter works at Epcot and was told that they're going to pull Figment gear soon. "

Wasn't sure if any of this was reliable or the equivalent of bus drivers.

Cast members generally don't know poo poo until it's announced publicly. No offence meant for the cast members here.

Unless they're high enough up the ladder to be in the decision making process it can generally be ignored.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only time I recall that cast members actually revealed something serious was California's Tower of Terror being replaced with Guardians of the Galaxy, because they actually had cast members secretly testing the modifications after hours and just hoped that nobody would blab.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any idea what the modifications where?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Well.. Epcot is going to get a makeover is all I would say.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Any idea what the modifications where?

From what I understand, it's internally the same ride but is redecorated and given new audio/visual and programming to convert it into a GOTG experience. The building is being totally redone into a new structure. This allowed them to do night testing with some of the new content without tearing down Tower of Terror.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

demonR6 posted:

Well.. Epcot is going to get a makeover is all I would say.

Aw Figment :qq:

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 19, 2016

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
There was a heavy rumor that Figment merch was going to be pulled about two years back, but it never amounted to anything.

That said, when Epcot starts to get it's massive overhaul, I wouldn't be surprised to see Imagination get looked at quite seriously for changes, and I'd imagine Figment would be headed out in that case.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's sad. I guess the rumor of him selling the most merch for a non Disney movie character wasn't true :qq: rip little buddy

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
When Disney redesigned the original Journey Into Imagination, Figment was mostly removed, and people completely lost their poo poo.

It led to a second redesign just a couple of years later with a ton more Figment, which is more or less what's there now (though the discovery area outside the ride has evolved over the years).

I'm not sure they'd risk taking him out again, unless they're planning to substitute in a super-popular property (Frozen, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.).

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
They already replaced the Norway pavilion with Frozen, practically, so I think we're safe as far as Let it Go is concerned.

There have been rumors of Figment and the Imagination pavilion getting removed for as long as I can remember. I mean, it could happen because Epcot is long overdue for a refurb but I'd wait until the D23 announcement.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah what's the deal with the Epcot thing? My brother just finished his Disney internship and he mentioned something about Epcot but nothing specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im back from probably my final trip to disney atleast as a non local. heres some of my thoughts from this third trip in basically a year (it was nice being wealthy for 1 year) its going to sound all negative but Disney is the type of place where the negative stands out way more than all the positive experiences:

1. service was way way down which I covered earlier in the thread. It felt more like being herded like cattle than ever before and it felt like they where wayyyyy understaffed. part of the charm to me on my first two trips to world showcase was being able to talk to the people from other countries and learn about them. this trip it seemed like theyd have one cashier working a stretch of three "stores / rooms" (like the england candy shop and the two connecting stores) and one stocker which meant there was never any time for people to just chat.

but

for some reason my girlfriend got into pin trading this trip and thats where we noticed CMs starting to come out of their shell and able to talk even if it meant ignoring people who want to check out lol. but it gets a bit creepy with the way cms juts flop out their pin pouch, was fun though. you could tell some cm's were "ugh another one of those pin people" but 9/10 where cool and had fun

Our cm never got much worse than that one old hag who gave us poo poo about the AP, but there was some parts where it felt more like a six flags than Disney. :shrug: I think our second worst mightve been in the Jungle cruise line when some lady yelled at us because we didn't fill in like a four inch gap of space next to a scooter. gently caress off lady. This isn't the TSA no reason to be a bitch, over a few inches of personal space.

the oddest thing that happened to us CM wise was some guy at living with the land who asked if we saw Rogue One then said he wont go out and see it openin gday because he was afraid of Disney Springs getting shot up lol. I agreed and that was it. Weird weird weird.

2. I dont know if it's just paranoia or not but it seemed like DVC and the Sunshine Hut people where alot more sales pitchy than ever before. my girlfriend started to pin trade with a DVC guy when all of sudden he goes "you know what I like about you guys is that you seem like a real down to earth couple and can vacation" and from there it was ligh "uh huh yep sure sign me up for your thing". Same with sunshine hut where 6 different sales people (literally) came over and said "have you heard about our new deals? oh thats a nice hat!". I know their jobs are on commisison I suppose but common son. This isn't six flags.

3. I take back everything I said bad about the drone show and fireworks. They're cool. Not worth the hype, but cool.

4. Hoop Dee Due was amazing, and so was Ft Wilderness. I listened to a episode of braks girl podcast where I think she said how great it was (or someone else did on the show sorry braks) and i was like "uh huh just a bunch of southerners whove never seen a real campground before" but no, once you go there it is like youre transported to a entirely different world. It was really neat and I say that as someone who lives in the middle of a national forest. It absolutely is my next destination to stay at on disney especially as i'll soon be a local.

5. I really came to enjoy some of the rides I absolutely hated my past two trips including Journey into Imagination (which is why I wouldn't shut up about it the past few posts), and Epcot as a whole. before I was always "eh" on Epcot because of the drunks but it was a bit more enjoyable this time.

6. It was fuckin busy and told me to never ever trust touringplans again for crowds. It seemed busier than when i went this time last year, which was a week before christmas not two. I had never seen Tommorland having to have traffic police to guide people down the sides of the pathway in the middle of the day. Crazy.

7. I don't like lines anymore. I was fine with it my past two trips but I don't think we waited in a single line outside of Winnie the Pooh and Tea Cups. Somewhere in the past year my tolerance for them left lol. So we'd just do our fastpasses or go to the parks late at night when it was deader (but still not super dead). But I read about some kind of trick on Reddit on our last day where once you use up your fast passes for the day you can load up the disney app pull up the ride you want (even hard to get ones) and jam on refresh and eventually via a error or something youll be able to get a fast pass like immediately to what you want. Crazy. We werent able to try it out but alot of people say it works.

8. I dont like kids anymore. I know that's kind of stupid sounding coming from someone who goes to Disney but It made me start regretting staying at Pop and eating at Quick Service places. We eventually started to eat at real restaurants just to get away from kids for a half hour.

thats more but the more i go on the more it sounds like complaining lol. but we had fun especially at Hoop Dee due. That was the highlight of our trip. Thanks for all the hlep braksgirl!