Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

howe_sam posted:

He was terrible in the first half of the season. Got moved into the bullpen, and was decent for the last two months of the season. But trusting him to be anything is a fool's errand.

At the price he fetched + assuming the contract that sure looks like it could have been a tasty Bosio project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Buchholz is a great example of why you shouldn't trust pitchers who outperform their FIP.

Also, so long as I'm dumping on Red Sox pitchers, 2016 Rick Porcello was a high watermark. :colbert:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There are fly ball pitchers with specific skills that can outperform their fip year in year out.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

howe_sam posted:

He was terrible in the first half of the season. Got moved into the bullpen, and was decent for the last two months of the season. But trusting him to be anything is a fool's errand.

Yeah this is probably the most accurate way to put it. Buchholz is one of the most frustrating pitchers to watch, the guy dips between 'unhittable' and 'unmissable' at the drop of a hat and he'll probably never put up 200 innings in a season.

I'll still miss him though. That no hitter in his second start was awesome and he definitely played a big role in the 2013 championship.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Sydin posted:

It surprises me nobody has thrown a wad of money at Romo yet. Although his FIP was terrible compared to 2015 (3.81 vs 1.91) he outperformed it significantly to the tune of a 2.61 ERA, and as far as I can tell in my quick research he was the only Giants reliever to not blow a save (as a side note, the Giants blew a LOT of saves).

It's also worth pointing out Romo was on the DL for a large part of 2016, which is also probably why no team is snatching him up right now.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Here's yet another entertaining although un-confirmable story about Derek Jeter (just the part down to the ***). I'm surprised I've never seen it posted here?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/derek-jeter-short-story-thessaly-la-force-v23n9

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

tadashi posted:

Here's yet another entertaining although un-confirmable story about Derek Jeter (just the part down to the ***). I'm surprised I've never seen it posted here?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/derek-jeter-short-story-thessaly-la-force-v23n9

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I said it was un-confirmable :shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NiceGuy posted:

Yeah this is probably the most accurate way to put it. Buchholz is one of the most frustrating pitchers to watch, the guy dips between 'unhittable' and 'unmissable' at the drop of a hat and he'll probably never put up 200 innings in a season.

I'll still miss him though. That no hitter in his second start was awesome and he definitely played a big role in the 2013 championship.
That sounds like Ricky Nolasco when he was with the Marlins. He was hit and miss and if he could get that curveball working he was almost unhittable

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

That sounds like Ricky Nolasco when he was with the Marlins. He was hit and miss and if he could get that curveball working he was almost unhittable

I remember being pissed when we lost him in the Rule 5 draft.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ricky Nolasco has a career 3.85 FIP but 4.52 ERA which is kind of sad but totally makes sense if his breaking balls are poo poo most of the time. I always thought it was weird that his ERA was always so much higher than his FIP or whatever DIPs based stat you want to use.

E: Padres sign Clayton Richard bringing their guaranteed contract players for next season to 2.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 20, 2016

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

is he still good or did he fall off a cliff

he's a loving headcase who will implode at the drop of a hat. I think he lead the league in grand slams allowed before they took him out of the rotation

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The Phillies gave up Josh Tobias, a 24 year old who just finished a season in A+, for Buchholz. A couple of the Phils writers ranked him as roughly the 40th best prospect in the Phils system.

e: The rotation looks something like Hellickson, Nola, Velasquez, Eickhoff, and Buchholz, with Eflin and Thompson likely first in line when Nola's elbow explodes and Buchholz blows.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 21, 2016

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
That is hilarious. I realize that the RSox have no place in their rotation for all their guys, but that is a return of actually nothing other than him leaving Boston.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

:getin:

Please get EE, Bridich

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/811351915586064384

E: \/ so.....1995 again? Also gently caress the loving goddamn Braves forever from robbing the world of a World Series that had the 95 Rockies lineup versus the 95 Indians lineup

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 21, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I want the Rockies to create the "gently caress it, go deep" version of a baseball team

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ozymandius1024 posted:

I miss Dave Dombrowski so much :smith:

Instead, we have Al Avila, who trades Cameron Maybin for jack poo poo and sits on his hands otherwise.

Me too. Sure the bullpens were a loving trainwreck that constantly killed any World Series chances but the starting rotation was always hilariously good.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

That is hilarious. I realize that the RSox have no place in their rotation for all their guys, but that is a return of actually nothing other than him leaving Boston.

Payroll space.

Don't be shocked when Dombrowski swoops in on someone in January.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Payroll space.

Don't be shocked when Dombrowski swoops in on someone in January.

It's going to be Verlander isn't it?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You have to scroll about half-way down the article to actually get to it, but here's a bit on Hammel. Long story short he's generated little to no interest because teams think there's more to the elbow injury that shut him down at the end of this season than he's letting on.

Also the Blue Jays are apparently interested in signing Travis Wood.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Wouldn't it be nice, if the blue jays acquired a man capable of playing baseball.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

You have to scroll about half-way down the article to actually get to it, but here's a bit on Hammel. Long story short he's generated little to no interest because teams think there's more to the elbow injury that shut him down at the end of this season than he's letting on.

Also the Blue Jays are apparently interested in signing Travis Wood.

Theo brilliant again

Don't pick up the option, showing good will and making other players like the team, but leading other owners to think Jason is actually hurt and not pick him up

Pick up Jason in February for his old contract or less and enjoy another year of Potato Chip High Heat

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Travis Wood strikes me as a guy who would legitimately refuse to play in Canada because "it's not America".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Travis Wood strikes me as a guy who would legitimately refuse to play in Canada because "it's not America".
Do the Blue Jays have an opening in their rotation? AFAIK Wood's major priority this off season is to try and get a starting role again.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm surprised no one has a gimmick username of Clay Fuchholz yet.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I have a new hottake - if you have 19+ years in the majors - auto induction to HOF.

Relief pitcher be damned. You pitch 1100 innings over 20 years (from 22-42 YOA in most cases) through the big hitter era? Auto HOF.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Julio Franco's career really was something.

It wasn't something all that great, but the man just lasted forever.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lenny harris should also be celebrated for being good enough to pinch hit in the majors for 900 years but never good enough to actually start

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

will_colorado posted:

E: \/ so.....1995 again? Also gently caress the loving goddamn Braves forever from robbing the world of a World Series that had the 95 Rockies lineup versus the 95 Indians lineup

Thanks again for having the common decency to fold and let the Braves claim at least the one WS to go with their otherwise unprecedented dominance.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Suck it, Indians. Good pitching beats good hitting.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Suck it, Indians.

This too.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

And the other way around

:downsrim:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sydin posted:

Do the Blue Jays have an opening in their rotation?

No, just a bunch of holes in their outfield and bullpen.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

If there's anything the indians taught us, it's actually that insanely bad pitching beats good hitting.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Carlosologist posted:

I want the Rockies to create the "gently caress it, go deep" version of a baseball team

They didn't have that already in the Galarraga/Bichette/Walker/Castilla days?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carlosologist posted:

That's basically been their mantra always?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my apologies all, my brain is fried due to finals! my point was that the Rockies should double down on offense like the old days and sign both EE and Trumbo for maximum dingers/minimal defense

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

Theo brilliant again

Don't pick up the option, showing good will and making other players like the team, but leading other owners to think Jason is actually hurt and not pick him up

Pick up Jason in February for his old contract or less and enjoy another year of Potato Chip High Heat

On the other hand, why would Hammel ask the Cubs not to pick up the option if his elbow is hosed?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

my apologies all, my brain is fried due to finals! my point was that the Rockies should double down on offense like the old days and sign both EE and Trumbo for maximum dingers/minimal defense

Anybody who is against this is anti-fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Niwrad posted:

On the other hand, why would Hammel ask the Cubs not to pick up the option if his elbow is hosed?

Doing the Gil Meche thing and just being a solid guy? I dunno.

• Locked thread