Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

lilljonas posted:

Unfortunately it's hard to know which ones are good. For example, the T-34/85 I mentioned building from Warlord has very little detail at all, especially when I compare it to something like the (much cheaper) Hobby Bossy 1/48 KV-2 that I recently built. And I was not that impressed by the Greyhound or UC from Warlord. But I think both of those are older kits as well. I'm happy to hear that they are improving, though.

Ilor posted:

OK, but the T-34 is a pretty no-frills tank. Unless you're adding a lot of stowage and crap, the T-34 has very sleek lines with not a lot of bits and bobs. The KV-2, not so much. There's a ton of junk on that tank.

I've just built two UCs and the kit isn't that bad. Like Ilor says, adding stowage can take the kits up quite a few levels. Also head-swapping to the regular Warlord Brits helps as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would Sharp Practice be the best choice for company-level games of AWI, like 50 men per side and one-to-one scale? How is Muskets and Tomahawks? Would either scale well enough for pipe-dream 200 per battalion games?

I'm building a diorama of Hamilton's assault on redoubt #10 at Yortown for a volunteer thing and I'm planning to salvage the minis after for wargame mans. So also if anyone has any sources on continental light infantry uniforms/organizations/tactics, especially Lafayette's light division at Yorktown, that'd be cool. Finding stuff for the brits is easy but my google-fu is too weak to find continental light infantry specifically.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I love Muskets & Tomahawks and definitely use it for games of that size, but I don't know if it's the best to use for that size.

As for sources, the best place to look is at reenactment unit sites, since they do all the research on the uniforms. Anything that belongs to the Continental Line or British Brigade should have standards that comply with current research.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Enentol posted:

I've just built two UCs and the kit isn't that bad. Like Ilor says, adding stowage can take the kits up quite a few levels. Also head-swapping to the regular Warlord Brits helps as well.

The UC is not horrible, and serves well as a gaming piece. But several of the Tamiya kits I've built have been things of beauty in themselves, worth building just for the enjoment of the result. Basically, it's down to if you prioritize build simplicity and sturdiness, or pure aesthetics IMHO. I will admit that there are many reasons to go the 1/56 route, but I will not agree with the kits being as detailed. At least noy yet.

Unless you play non-Germans, I guess, because then you prob want to use 1/56.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

lilljonas posted:

The UC is not horrible, and serves well as a gaming piece. But several of the Tamiya kits I've built have been things of beauty in themselves, worth building just for the enjoment of the result. Basically, it's down to if you prioritize build simplicity and sturdiness, or pure aesthetics IMHO. I will admit that there are many reasons to go the 1/56 route, but I will not agree with the kits being as detailed. At least noy yet.

Unless you play non-Germans, I guess, because then you prob want to use 1/56.

E: I'd love to put together a platoon of one type of tank, just to compare kits of different brands.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I decided a few months ago to do 1/48 for armor and 1/56 for vehicles (mostly for where you can see the driver, etc) in Bolt Action. The 1/56 stuff is clearly made for the game and is the standard scale, but I really feel like it's just too small. I've had no qualms about going off-brand for my tanks with the Tamiya stuff.

The guy I play with just got a Sherman, so if you guys would like I can take a picture of my 1/48 Tamiya Sherman next to his 1/56 Warlords Sherman? I can even include a few guys to give a better sense of scale.

I think the problem with vehicles in 28mm is that the guys are "heroic scale", which means they're kind of beefy. I like to think of 1/48 armor then as "heroic scale" armor.

(Also, secret reason? This gives me an excuse to make models that I can then play with... ;))

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
>T-55AM2

So glad that Flames is dead and buried at my FLGS. Otherwise, it might lead to idiotic purchases.

...now it will lead to 6mm idiotic purchases at worst.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile, it looks like I'll actually be able to get a game of Sharp Practice this Christmas. Now I just need to base all the stuff I painted this Autumn...

And now I realize how much I need a second box of Perry infantrymen, to bulk out the army into two solid attack columns with skirmishers.

And then another box of Dragoons, to give me a proper sized contingent. And....

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I've recently been tempted to double down and start making idiotic purchases in 3mm. I need to stop reading DTIC reports on Soviet Motor-Rifle battalion tactics and thinking "I need to represent this on the table top with ~~maximum realism~~"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
God drat, dude, these are sweet as hell!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ilor posted:

God drat, dude, these are sweet as hell!

Thanks! I was waffling back and forth for a long time about how to base them. I finally sent out an order for various static grass and tufts and stuff, and hopefully I can make the basing a nice little Christmas project.

Once the French infantry has a decent size, I might go hog wild on more cavalry, or add some Austrians. Haven't decided yet.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Those are some sweet mans, where do you get the bases from?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

working mom posted:

Those are some sweet mans, where do you get the bases from?

http://www.supremelittleness.co.uk/

They are custom to be 20mm wide bases. It was no problem to ask the guy on facebook for the custom size. I also got some sweet markers, so that all our ww2 armies have thematic markers and also a wide range of markers for shock, overwatch, tactical positions and such.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Very impressive. It's going to look great when you get them based!

I much prefer 6-18mm Napoleonics myself, but there's just something special about 28mm that makes them so pleasing to look at

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

JcDent posted:

Links, you horrible person

Out in January, not much info since they just started to tease the releases (though we've known it coming for about a year now.).

Wait for PSC to put out plastic T-55s as BF is being stupid and releasing resin ones.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Numlock posted:

Out in January, not much info since they just started to tease the releases (though we've known it coming for about a year now.).

Wait for PSC to put out plastic T-55s as BF is being stupid and releasing resin ones.

I really hope PSC keeps taking BF to the cleaners over and over until they stop doing dumbfuck stuff like that.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations earlier, I ended up buying a platoon of Afrikakorps and Desert Rats from the Perrys.

God drat historicals are cheaper than Warmachine/hammer. A platoon of 38 high-quality mans, complete with officer, NCOs, 3x support teams (with 3 different options!), a selection of hats for every single guy, for about 1/6th of the price per guy you get in Warmachine, or 1/8th or so for Warhammer. :aaa:

Also, Chain of Command rules question - For the support units, am I correct in my understanding that RAW I should roll for what support lists I have available to me? This is a little problematic because I don't own one of every single tank, half-track, and towed AT gun used by the Nazis and Britain during the war.

Finally - M4s in COC have the "Ronson" keyword (COOPER! :argh:). I can't find the rules for this keyword anywhere in the rules PDF.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

Very impressive. It's going to look great when you get them based!

I much prefer 6-18mm Napoleonics myself, but there's just something special about 28mm that makes them so pleasing to look at

Thanks! I have both 6mm and 15mm on my to-do list for 2017, so I'm an avid fans of most scales. But yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing the whole force assembled and based, it'll be a fine start for my Nappy army.

Geisladisk posted:

Thanks for the recommendations earlier, I ended up buying a platoon of Afrikakorps and Desert Rats from the Perrys.

God drat historicals are cheaper than Warmachine/hammer. A platoon of 38 high-quality mans, complete with officer, NCOs, 3x support teams (with 3 different options!), a selection of hats for every single guy, for about 1/6th of the price per guy you get in Warmachine, or 1/8th or so for Warhammer. :aaa:

Also, Chain of Command rules question - For the support units, am I correct in my understanding that RAW I should roll for what support lists I have available to me? This is a little problematic because I don't own one of every single tank, half-track, and towed AT gun used by the Nazis and Britain during the war.

Finally - M4s in COC have the "Ronson" keyword (COOPER! :argh:). I can't find the rules for this keyword anywhere in the rules PDF.

It's nice, isn't it?

The support option rules are a bit unclear in the rulebook and scenarios, if I remember correctly. It doesn't really work to roll for which support lists are available, as you mention, especially when you start out and don't have a ton of different support options. We interpreted it to mean that you just roll for how many support "points" you have on top of the points you get for the difference in platoon rating.

And the vehicle lists are very bad in the rulebook, yet another reason for why players are asking for a second, updated, edition. The best solution is to go with the fan-made (but sanctioned) Consolidated Arsenal list, which you can find here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iVO3_AyHeoy87eZQfrl0QN-ZL1e7uvsQSjndzCBokuE/edit

The Consolidated Arsenal corrects a lot of typos, miscalculations and, yes, missing rules in the rulebook. It's also helpful for people who are not complete tankheads by showing when the tanks were in use. Sooner or later you'll find a use for it, so my advise is to not go by the rulebook, but use the CA instead. It's much more consistant, and covers a ton of options that you might want to field at some point.

The Ronson rule can be found in the FAQ:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Errata-FAQ.pdf

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 19, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Thanks! I have both 6mm and 15mm on my to-do list for 2017, so I'm an avid fans of most scales. But yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing the whole force assembled and based, it'll be a fine start for my Nappy army.

It's nice, isn't it?

The support option rules are a bit unclear in the rulebook and scenarios, if I remember correctly. It doesn't really work to roll for which support lists are available, as you mention, especially when you start out and don't have a ton of different support options. We interpreted it to mean that you just roll for how many support "points" you have on top of the points you get for the difference in platoon rating.

And the vehicle lists are very bad in the rulebook, yet another reason for why players are asking for a second, updated, edition. The best solution is to go with the fan-made (but sanctioned) Consolidated Arsenal list, which you can find here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iVO3_AyHeoy87eZQfrl0QN-ZL1e7uvsQSjndzCBokuE/edit

The Consolidated Arsenal corrects a lot of typos, miscalculations and, yes, missing rules in the rulebook. It's also helpful for people who are not complete tankheads by showing when the tanks were in use. Sooner or later you'll find a use for it, so my advise is to not go by the rulebook, but use the CA instead. It's much more consistant, and covers a ton of options that you might want to field at some point.

The Ronson rule can be found in the FAQ:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Errata-FAQ.pdf

That's great, thank you so much. I definitely like these improved vehicle lists, especially since my entrypoint into WW2-nerdery was tanks, via World of Tanks and War Thunder.

I spent most of my weekend assembling and painting a Tiger I tank, does that mean I'm a wehraboo now? :ohdear:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

That's great, thank you so much. I definitely like these improved vehicle lists, especially since my entrypoint into WW2-nerdery was tanks, via World of Tanks and War Thunder.

I spent most of my weekend assembling and painting a Tiger I tank, does that mean I'm a wehraboo now? :ohdear:

It's ok, we're all tankheads here. :P

Which Tiger kit did you go with?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

lilljonas posted:

It's ok, we're all tankheads here. :P

Which Tiger kit did you go with?

The Bolt-Action branded Italeri one. I was at my FLGS picking up christmas presents and I couldn't resist it's boxy, fascistic wiles. :bigtran:

It's really nice. I did mess up the tracks a little bit, with a visible gap between two pieces right at the front, but that can be covered up with some mud.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Geisladisk posted:

That depends, did you paint it as an SS Tiger, or a clean Wehrmacht Tiger?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

That depends, did you paint it as an SS Tiger, or a clean Wehrmacht Tiger?

As a upstanding, honorable, and 100% certified clean Wehrmacht Tiger that was never used in any warcrimes at all, of course.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Geisladisk posted:

As a upstanding, honorable, and 100% certified clean Wehrmacht Tiger that was never used in any warcrimes at all, of course.

Apart form playing Bolt Action over Chain of Command of course!

(I joke, I joke. I've not had a game of either yet, despite owning both rules.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

I bought a memoir book about a panzershützen soldier on the east front, and at first it was a pretty normal war story: his thoughts about being scared, about tedious waits, about close calls and exactly what you expect, no big ideological spiels... until he gets to where they turn an entire city to rubble because there were Jews hiding there.

Yup. East front was the worst front.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

lilljonas posted:

These are super useful, but how come the M4A3E8 Sherman is identical to the 76mm Sherman without a Fast Turret, and still costs one more support? That seems... odd.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

INinja132 posted:

These are super useful, but how come the M4A3E8 Sherman is identical to the 76mm Sherman without a Fast Turret, and still costs one more support? That seems... odd.

No idea. The list is kind of collaborate effort on the forums, so it might still be lots of stuff that are not completely fixed.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

lilljonas posted:

No idea. The list is kind of collaborate effort on the forums, so it might still be lots of stuff that are not completely fixed.

Fair enough. Perhaps I'll run my lovely Fury style E8 anyway and eat the extra support just because it looks cool :D

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

INinja132 posted:

Fair enough. Perhaps I'll run my lovely Fury style E8 anyway and eat the extra support just because it looks cool :D

Yeah, vehicles are not really that balanced in CoC, since the cost is calculated based on an algoritm. Some tanks are just inherently worse on the table.

Take the Sd. Kfz. 222 for example: I love the look of it, and we'll soon have three built at the club just because it looks awesome. But I would not say that it measure up to a Pz III, which is on the same support list. And since there are so few steps, a lot of the time there are plain better versions that are on the same support list. In the end, you can either min-max (and both players choose the best options) or go with a more historical choice based on what was actually available at a certain place at a certain time.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

lilljonas posted:

I bought a memoir book about a panzershützen soldier on the east front, and at first it was a pretty normal war story: his thoughts about being scared, about tedious waits, about close calls and exactly what you expect, no big ideological spiels... until he gets to where they turn an entire city to rubble because there were Jews hiding there.

Yup. East front was the worst front.

poo poo gets strange with wars of ideology. From Soldaten, you have one Wehrmacht POW being loyal to the Nazi party, but regretting the holocaust.

quote:

That is what I fail to understand. I, too, was in the Hitler Youth and fought. And it was a good idea too. No one can say anything against it. But there were things that were unnecessary, like cutting off all the Jews.

and another one lambasting Hitler while praising the holocaust.

quote:

What I always said was, then why does [Hitler] talk so much about [war]? It's perfectly obvious that we Germans don't want war at all, that we aren't at all in a position to conduct a war, and that we're fed up with it.

At any rate, I have still no idea of where the Nazis are going to land us in the end. That swine with his brown shirt! But our racial policy is excellent, also the Jewish question, and the entire legislation for preserving the purity of German blood.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 19, 2016

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
OK. My club are doing a Bolt Action escalation league this year, which starts with a 500 point infantry list.

I've not got a painted BA army, so that now needs to happen. I've got some Germans, British Paras, American Airborne, and Japanese.

I fancy painting up the Japanese.

I was thinking of going with the following list:

2nd lt regular (50)

3 x IJA infantry squad (10 men) - 3 x 100

MMG - 50

Sniper team - 50

Flame Thrower Team - 50

500 dead on. 7 Command dice.

Do any of you guys play Japanese? How do you play them? Does it feature large numbers of inexperienced fanatic infantry?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

OK. My club are doing a Bolt Action escalation league this year, which starts with a 500 point infantry list.

I've not got a painted BA army, so that now needs to happen. I've got some Germans, British Paras, American Airborne, and Japanese.

I fancy painting up the Japanese.

I was thinking of going with the following list:

2nd lt regular (50)

3 x IJA infantry squad (10 men) - 3 x 100

MMG - 50

Sniper team - 50

Flame Thrower Team - 50

500 dead on. 7 Command dice.

Do any of you guys play Japanese? How do you play them? Does it feature large numbers of inexperienced fanatic infantry?

Like you, I have Japanese but haven't played them yet. Unless you're using late-war militia or something all Japanese infantry should be Regular or Vet with the fanatic rule. They also get the Banzai Charge special rule which allows them to automatically pass any attempt to run or charge towards the enemy. My assumption is rolling with 15-man squads with fanatic and banzai you're supposed to get into close combat as fast as possible and obliterate enemy units that way, but like I said I haven't tried it yet.

I'm also curious if the three light mortars you can stuff into the Grenadier squad is effective, especially now that BA uses templates.

Edit: Their other special rule allows them to start lots of units hidden/in ambush mode. So if the game allows that you could alternately build a list around making the enemy come to you and shooting them to poo poo when they're out of cover.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 21, 2016

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Class Warcraft posted:

Like you, I have Japanese but haven't played them yet. Unless you're using late-war militia or something all Japanese infantry should be Regular or Vet with the fanatic rule. They also get the Banzai Charge special rule which allows them to automatically pass any attempt to run or charge towards the enemy. My assumption is rolling with 15-man squads with fanatic and banzai you're supposed to get into close combat as fast as possible and obliterate enemy units that way, but like I said I haven't tried it yet.

I'm also curious if the three light mortars you can stuff into the Grenadier squad is effective, especially now that BA uses templates.

Edit: Their other special rule allows them to start lots of units hidden/in ambush mode. So if the game allows that you could alternately build a list around making the enemy come to you and shooting them to poo poo when they're out of cover.

I only have the main BA2 book and list. Do you need both the Japanese army book and the Fall of Empire supplement?

I am under the impression it will be a lot of just straight games.

I also get the impression the Japanese meta is zerg rushing across the table and Banzai charging.

I've always found mortars very hit and miss, and watched them do nothing all game multiple times. However with templates there is the possibility they will score more hits (though this is actually a bad thing for big Japanese squads) and they score multiple pins.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Japanese knee mortars are supposed to be used to poo poo smoke everywhere so static units like MMGs either can't shoot at your charging nutcases or have to move out of it and waste a turn.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

I only have the main BA2 book and list. Do you need both the Japanese army book and the Fall of Empire supplement?

I am under the impression it will be a lot of just straight games.

I also get the impression the Japanese meta is zerg rushing across the table and Banzai charging.

I've always found mortars very hit and miss, and watched them do nothing all game multiple times. However with templates there is the possibility they will score more hits (though this is actually a bad thing for big Japanese squads) and they score multiple pins.

For a 500 pt game you're probably fine with just the army list out of the rulebook, although I just checked and the ambush rule is only part of the actual army book.

You can also use this site to put together army lists: http://boltaction.easyarmy.com/

My theoretical 500 pt list would be something like this:

2nd Lt (Reg) = 50
SNLF x12 w/2 SMG (Vet) = 162
SNLF x12 w/2 SMG (Vet) = 162
Medic (Reg) = 23
MMG (Reg) = 50
Sniper (Reg) = 50
Total = 497

Medic helps negate casualties getting into hand-to-hand and the vet squads should be able to plow through any squad they come into contact with.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I finally finished my prototype Perry DAK trooper. Mostly I'm just testing colors and whether the MinWax method is acceptable for these guys:

On the whole I'm pretty happy with it (I like the way the whit-and-black DAK stripe on the arm turned out), but I've gotta say I'm not a big fan of the MinWax shading over the green on his pants. I think it would look better if that were shaded/highlighted using more traditional methods. Given that some of the platoon will also have green jackets, I need to figure out something that looks good but that is also fast/easy, as I have almost two whole platoons of these jerks to paint. Thoughts?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Looks very crisp.

By the way, is there a BoLS-but-good website that covers the widest array of historical game news?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

I finally finished my prototype Perry DAK trooper. Mostly I'm just testing colors and whether the MinWax method is acceptable for these guys:

On the whole I'm pretty happy with it (I like the way the whit-and-black DAK stripe on the arm turned out), but I've gotta say I'm not a big fan of the MinWax shading over the green on his pants. I think it would look better if that were shaded/highlighted using more traditional methods. Given that some of the platoon will also have green jackets, I need to figure out something that looks good but that is also fast/easy, as I have almost two whole platoons of these jerks to paint. Thoughts?

Do the green after waxing maybe? Can you even paint over that stuff again?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Time for a good old cross-post.

Grey Hunter posted:

Oath Complete!

Ho! Ho! Ho Chi Min is going to win!

I got a little worried about completing this oath when everyone in the house got sick, but I got there. That's two companies of NVA troops.

Plus change based for FNG, as apparently Battlefront have no idea what quality control is - 12 of these guys are the alternate RPGs, but that doesn't give any idea where the the other 16 men - half a bloody platoon! - came from. of course, this means I now have to buy more NVA to get the FNG platoon up to full strength- but I needed to get some civilians anyway.

Not wanting to give the Communists all the fun, here is the Skyraider - a simple model to paint, but the transfers really set it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Looks very crisp.

By the way, is there a BoLS-but-good website that covers the widest array of historical game news?

Between TMP and tabletop gaming news, I feel like I pick up most news. Haven't found a better site for generic news for historicals. TMP has some great posters but also some less stellar.

Testbasing my French for russian autumn. Maybe some more grass?