Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

the problem for me was the execution. they do a great job with the scene where kumiko and reina go up on the mountain again, showing reina's frustration and the intimacy between the two. but the scene where reina asks taki about his wife feels flat and dull in comparison. it's an awkward situation, and i don't feel they do enough to convey that, or what reina is feeling at the time. or the scene at the end at taki's wife's grave: it should be some sort of pivotal moment of reina facing the reality of her feelings for her teacher and then playing the song, but it pales in comparison to the sort of parallel scene with asuka we got two episodes ago

Yeah. Like, Reina in that last scene gave me the impression that she is absolutely not over Taki - talking about wanting to win Nationals to make his dream come true and conducting herself with the air of someone resigned to watching their true love from afar for the rest of time. There's still two episodes her for to get past that, but I'm not sure how the show is going to work that naturally into the events of the narrative, and if it fails entirely then the show will end with Reina - who the show has always framed largely as a second protagonist - in a profoundly immature and really unhappy-seeming place. Just seems like a really weird and frustrating story turn to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Motto posted:

Not really, I don't think? The only major issue they've had in recent years was adapting a number of mediocre LNs from their personal publication house.

The Colonel posted:

euphonium is like the first show they've done with a heavily implied gay relationship

people actually joked about the lack of that in shows where people expected it the most

Well, that's good to know, then. I've always wanted to watch Haruhi but it's not on Crunchyroll so I can't. :(

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. Like, Reina in that last scene gave me the impression that she is absolutely not over Taki - talking about wanting to win Nationals to make his dream come true and conducting herself with the air of someone resigned to watching their true love from afar for the rest of time. There's still two episodes her for to get past that, but I'm not sure how the show is going to work that naturally into the events of the narrative, and if it fails entirely then the show will end with Reina - who the show has always framed largely as a second protagonist - in a profoundly immature and really unhappy-seeming place. Just seems like a really weird and frustrating story turn to me.

it didn't really give me that impression, i think you just as easily see it as her wanting to win it for someone she looks up to. i think it was just unclear and really underwhelming

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

it didn't really give me that impression, i think you just as easily see it as her wanting to win it for someone she looks up to. i think it was just unclear and really underwhelming

I mean, the fact that it's even unclear is a pretty rare and severe flub for this show.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I didn't feel like it was unclear, but different people see things differently.

To me it seemed clear that Reina has given up her romantic hopes. She asked Taki's wife's spirit to win the nationals, she didn't ask if it was OK to try and get with him or anything stupid (although going to visit her grave in the first place is admittedly a bit creepy). She likes and admires Taki as a person, and she's going to work hard to make both of their competition dreams come true. Remember that Reina really wants to win these nationals even separated from how she feels about Taki.

That said, I agree about the execution being a bit off. This should have been just as emotional of a character change as Asuka's last week, but it fell a bit flat.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Thread please.

Sapphire figured out something

*Kumiko noise*

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Axel Serenity posted:

This is how I feel, and also why forced triangles are usually not a good thing, especially in a show where one relationship is clearly wrong (though i dunno much about Japan and how student/teacher relationships are viewed, I guess).

It's such a common trope that I feel it's something that's probably either a very common fantasy and/or an uncommon occurrence in reality.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Thread please.

Sapphire figured out something

*Kumiko noise*

:3:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Visiting the grave isn't as weird in Japan as it would be in the West, I think. I mean, it's weird for what's-his-face to tell students where it is, bit he's been shown multiple times telling things he shouldn't.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Do remember that Reina has zero compulsion to alter her personality to be anything like Taki's wife. She's gonna win it for her own sake as well.

Also, oh, that mountain has a name. I see where it is. I'm gonna drop by next time I get a chance.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I mean, it's weird for what's-his-face to tell students where it is, bit he's been shown multiple times telling things he shouldn't.
I think it would be weirder if Reina/her family didn't already have some history with Taki/his family, which is presumably information that Hashimoto would be privy to given his own long-standing friendship with Taki. That doesn't exactly make it not weird, but there is some context there and it doesn't feel entirely out-of-character for him.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

BTW, if you go back and compare Reina's solo in episode 5's competition with episode 9's post-Taki revelation drama, you can hear the difference. Not only has it improved, but it's more "playing for Taki-sensei" style, with a touch of heartbreak.

Where are all the MADs using that scream to make meme music? By this point I was expecting someone to replace Reina's competition performance with autotuned screaming at the very least.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pretty good interview with the novel's author

https://twitter.com/SakugaBlog/status/809817404360507392?s=09

Nothing earth shattering (e.g. anyone's relationships), but I did learn there's a spin off story about the Rikka High School Band.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

Nothing earth shattering (e.g. anyone's relationships), but I did learn there's a spin off story about the Rikka High School Band.

Yeah, there's a blogger on twitter who's read it and swears up and down that it's better (and gayer, apparently) than Eupho.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

a kitten posted:

Excellent read. Further cements the fact that Akito Matsuda (composer of Crescent Moon Dance) is the real unsung hero of the show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Not only has it improved, but it's more "playing for Taki-sensei" style, with a touch of heartbreak.

Blegh. I liked Reina more when she was self-aware enough to realize that her playing for Taki would just produce "a messy and overheated ballad."

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Blegh. I liked Reina more when she was self-aware enough to realize that her playing for Taki would just produce "a messy and overheated ballad."

Yea, the G-highC interval will probably never sound as good as it did in the "for Kumiko" style, but there are ways to compensate.

For example, in the live performance by Senzoku College of Music (same top level college freshmen that recorded for the anime) you can hear the outcome: better overall, but biffed the climactic G-C interval, just like Reina does while practicing on the bridge outside. Bonus comedy for seeing the other trumpets not even flinch at the mistake, because they all know they probably would have hosed up too if they had to play it lol.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Huh, I guess I was higher on this ep than many of you. I think the Reina thing is definitively settled; Kumiko says that she never mentions it again and the last scene is literally showing "that bird has flown" (though I don't know if the Japanese have that metaphor).

We'll see, I suppose.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I simultaneously know and don't know why I made this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgL_C5oKIjI

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

good

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

a kitten posted:

quote:

Also, I wanted to insert more scenes of Natsuki and Yuuko bickering like cats and dogs.

She knows what's what.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

holy poo poo lol

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

AnacondaHL posted:

This is loving amazing, thank you. I needed this in my morning.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, there's a blogger on twitter who's read it and swears up and down that it's better (and gayer, apparently) than Eupho.

I mean, when one of the major conflicts is resolved by a girl straddling our protagonist while they talk and help Azusa get over her issues, you really can't say that's not pushing the boundaries.

That's the obvious example, but there's easily three main ships you could pair Azusa with and have justification for all of them. Even the illustrator for the novel covers paired her with someone on her twitter account.

https://twitter.com/asadako/status/764431623244779520

(yes, that's where I got that image from; it's semi-official!)

And yes, it is better as a story than Eupho. Eupho was only meant to be the first novel, but Takeda was pressured into writing sequels for it to be sold alongside the first anime season, and she wasn't used to writing sequels at all. Novel 2 works as a novel, but it's not gripping material to be adapted, despite nearly all the staff involved loving the story. Novel 3 is better, though some bits come in randomly (Reina's accusation in the last episode for example and something that may happen next episode). Conversely, she planned Rikka's story well in advance and the novels are a good single story, despite being focused around two different themes. Azusa works better as an active protagonist than Kumiko and you grow much more attached to her for that reason. It's why I preferred the anime over the novels.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, hey, I didn't know you're a goon!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

try reading between the lines my dude

"Taki-sensei loves his wife." present tense. Loves. He still loves her.

"I used to wish I was born earlier." Used to. Past tense. She realized that even if she was born earlier, Taki would have married his late wife, not her.

"I want to grant Taki-sensei's wish." Not because she wants to use it as some sort of in on him, but because she's someone she cares about, and he deserves it.

Reina has fully realized that nothing will ever come of it and nothing could have ever come of it. She's not over it, because that isn't how feelings work, but 'profoundly immature' it isn't. And it really isn't unclear.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's such a common trope that I feel it's something that's probably either a very common fantasy and/or an uncommon occurrence in reality.
Talk to anyone who has ever been a high schooler at any point in human history and they will probably mention a teacher they had some kind of interest in, even if it was just passingly thinking they were attractive.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 21, 2016

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the bird has flown, literally

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

try reading between the lines my dude

"Taki-sensei loves his wife." present tense. Loves. He still loves her.

"I used to wish I was born earlier." Used to. Past tense. She realized that even if she was born earlier, Taki would have married his late wife, not her.

"I want to grant Taki-sensei's wish." Not because she wants to use it as some sort of in on him, but because she's someone she cares about, and he deserves it.

Reina has fully realized that nothing will ever come of it and nothing could have ever come of it. She's not over it, because that isn't how feelings work, but 'profoundly immature' it isn't. And it really isn't unclear.

Eh. I guess my big hangup is that the show spent a lot of time on Reina realizing that she's not going to get with Taki, but I didn't feel like it spent very much at all on having Reina realize that she was never actually in love with him, which strikes me as a far more important and certainly more interesting story beat. I was hoping the show would spend more time having Reina think about just how little she really knows Taki rather than just having her learn/process that he's not interested.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but she is in love with him.

love doesn't have to be based on deep understanding. your body gets a rush of hormones when you look at somebody. that's what love is. relationships are built on mutual understanding and affection, but love is just you reacting to impulses your brain sends you, based on a variety of factors. Reina is someone who craves to be special, who's a little ostracized from the people around her, who wants to prove how important she is. A guy that's older than her but not so old as to be completely out of reach or impossible - or unappealing -, who's incredibly talented and gives her advice on how to push herself even farther, who tells her that she can be amazing if she works at it? It's not hard to realize why she'd be into him. And regardless of whether or not those feelings are realistic or based on anything all that meaningful, they mean the world to Reina. They're her feelings. That's how people work.

I'm not saying this whole subplot was executed perfectly - it was given a little too much lipservice for something that was never going to happen, and it probably should have been resolved closer to the beginning of this season instead of the end - but it makes total sense with the rest of Reina's character.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

but she is in love with him.

love doesn't have to be based on deep understanding. your body gets a rush of hormones when you look at somebody. that's what love is. relationships are built on mutual understanding and affection, but love is just you reacting to impulses your brain sends you, based on a variety of factors. Reina is someone who craves to be special, who's a little ostracized from the people around her, who wants to prove how important she is. A guy that's older than her but not so old as to be completely out of reach or impossible - or unappealing -, who's incredibly talented and gives her advice on how to push herself even farther, who tells her that she can be amazing if she works at it? It's not hard to realize why she'd be into him. And regardless of whether or not those feelings are realistic or based on anything all that meaningful, they mean the world to Reina. They're her feelings. That's how people work.

I'm not saying this whole subplot was executed perfectly - it was given a little too much lipservice for something that was never going to happen, and it probably should have been resolved closer to the beginning of this season instead of the end - but it makes total sense with the rest of Reina's character.

See, I guess we just disagree on what constitutes love as opposed to infatuation. Reina was pretty much entirely focused on how Taki related to her own desires - for validation, for excellence, for a pretty-boy trombone player- and she never really spared much thought for what Taki himself might want until one of those desires basically punched her in the face. That doesn't really square with the selflessness I've (and most media I've encountered, for that matter) always associated with the idea of love. I totally get why she's into him, and I think her writing in the latest episode is totally consistent with what came before. And I didn't want her to go "oh, those things I felt weren't actually real/didn't actually matter at all," quite the opposite. I think there's a way the show could have had her spend more time thinking about what, besides the fact that he's "taken", make herself and Taki a bad match for each other and gain a deeper insight where her own feelings are coming from in a way that I would have found a lot more satisfying than what we got.

V - to be fair, that would be an INCREDIBLY apt descriptor of high schoolers. Band nerds in particular, in my experience.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 21, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

Talk to anyone who has ever been a high schooler at any point in human history and they will probably mention a teacher they had some kind of interest in, even if it was just passingly thinking they were attractive.

sounds like a bunch of perverts to me

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

V - to be fair, that would be an INCREDIBLY apt descriptor of high schoolers. Band nerds in particular, in my experience.

True on the first point. Double true on the second.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the Yuri subtext lost to KyoAni's trolling?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Well, drat. That was a bit of a downer ep that didn't end at all the way I thought.

KumiRei seems as good as dead, and they only got Bronze? drat. I liked Kumiko making full amends with her sister, though.

It was a really good episode, but I'm curious about the final next week and, more importantly, if there will be more seasons.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 21, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i can't believe kumiko confessed

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Taki-sensei is a classy motherfucker.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

So the Yuri subtext lost to KyoAni's trolling?
we'll always have kumiasu

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't know why I enjoyed that quick scene with Kumiko and Mizore so much. *fistbump*

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That was a really strong episode. Definite bounceback from the previous. Mamiko's big scene was really sweet. I do wish we had gotten another performance, though.

Now that I've actually watched it, I don't know why everyone is lamenting our poor dead ships. Kumiko and Shu weren't exactly dripping with romantic affection for each other in that whole minute-and-a-half they spent together, and the show's all but mocking Reina's attempts to confess to Taki - the fact that they even had Reina get shot down so hard actually renews my hope that we see Reina re-evaluate how she feels about Taki as opposed to Kumiko in the epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think this episode did anything any other episode this season didn't do, the worst you can say is "it gave resolution to reina having feelings for taki" and the way they resolved it was literally taki saying "oh, uh, cool, glad to be your teacher"

• Locked thread