Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
question: I noticed in my current game ( I think I was running Phoebe Rough at the time) that I got my "wanderer joins" event four days in, and my first raid at five days in. Is that timing standardized for all difficulties that aren't randy random?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Devdisigdu posted:

While using Dev mod to place a steam geyser works, In the past I've found that trying to remove one with Destroy only spits out an error.

That's weird, I thought it worked at one point. At any rate I switched to using the Map Reroll mod to make it feel less like I'm cheating (although when you can reroll geysers 100 times haha yeah)

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
how are you guys getting a16? Im on steam and dont see it in the beta list and its not updating?

me and google figured it out. PLease return to your regularly scheduled organ harvesting.

Jst0rm fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 20, 2016

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Class Warcraft posted:

Is it just me or in the beta patch has installing new limbs gotten extremely dangerous? Across three colonies my doctors are 0 for 5, killing three patients in the process.

A16 Medicine has the same effectiveness as A15 Herbal Medicine, and herbal's effectiveness has been halved. Which means a level 20 doctor with ordinary capacities has a 30% failure chance with Medicine and 65% failure chance with herbal medicine. To hit a 100% success chance with regular medicine, you need a doctor with bionic arms, plus wake-up and go-juice (or luciferium can replace one of those).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Zhentar posted:

A16 Medicine has the same effectiveness as A15 Herbal Medicine, and herbal's effectiveness has been halved. Which means a level 20 doctor with ordinary capacities has a 30% failure chance with Medicine and 65% failure chance with herbal medicine. To hit a 100% success chance with regular medicine, you need a doctor with bionic arms, plus wake-up and go-juice (or luciferium can replace one of those).

That would explain it. My solution was to switch to using Glitterworld medicine only for surgeries and it's vastly improved the outcomes.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zhentar posted:

thats better. I never even touched regular medicine mostly because herbal was good enough.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
a16 launched today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYecyqAE90

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/12/rimworld-alpha-16-wanderlust-released/

it looks so good :)

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
Yeah, the update adds so much gameplay i can forgive them for not doing a preview like they did for the earlier alphas. Time to start up a new colony(or two)

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I can confirm that the Thrumbos will escape a walled prison unless they drink themselves to death. This is so even if the prison has no doors. I only put 4 beers in my latest walled prision and she was drunk but later sobered up and escaped.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

:yeah:

e; jesus, that's some insane work he's done to redo the world as a whole. I wonder if you'll be able to go force others to swear fealty to you and become a despotic empire :black101:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 20, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Added to the OP. I genuinely wasn't expecting oregon trail to be a victory condition.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I wonder if he will add a "conquer the planet" victory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well the world already supports range for the transport pods.

So, adding things like long range radar to detect attacks could be a thing, maybe using the ship building system to let you actually build movable ships to get around the place with longer range, and strategic defences against such things.

Also hoping for strategic threats like malfunctioning weather control stations that create storms around them unless you disable them, mechanoid/bug hives, ancient sites to raid for loot, that sort of thing.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I haven't played in a couple updates, do colonists still indiscriminately shoot each other and run into line of fire?

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

mitztronic posted:

I haven't played in a couple updates, do colonists still indiscriminately shoot each other and run into line of fire?

Oh yeah, you still need to micromanage. Spacebar is your friend.

Which is why i dont like the demands from some fans for multiplayer. How am i going to be able to micromanage if i cant pause? Gamespeed is another, when nothing is happening i go with the fastest and when the poo poo hits the fan i hammer that spacebar. If the gamespeed was fixed grenades would be awful

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Looks like another two mods I don't need anymore since Tynan put them in the base game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is my favorite part of the update right here:

quote:

The mood effects from room impressiveness have been redesigned and rebalanced. Characters now have consistently reasonable thoughts about the quality of their personal room, so there is a reason to make better rooms (though high-quality rooms aren’t absolutely necessary). Mood effects from eating in or convalescing in nice/poor rooms are also more reasonable and better-fed back.

No more god drat prison cells! :neckbeard:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

IcePhoenix posted:

This is my favorite part of the update right here:

No more god drat prison cells! :neckbeard:

Yeah, this is probably the biggest overall change. I'll have details once I get my guide revised but 7x7 bedrooms work out really well right now.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I can turn bodies into jet fuel now! A roving band of maniacs that murder for human flesh to fuel their ride pods across the skies.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Holy crap amazing additions. Opens up the game a ton. I hope he keeps developing this game forever

Now to wait a few months until all the mods get updated then take a week off work.

edit: with the world map now and multiple colonies and all that. I don't see some janky multiplayer too far off whether through a mod or from Tynan. If it's modded, something to allow you to connect to some central hub that shares your colony layout and places it on the map so you can attack actual colonies made by other people but controlled by the AI. Or if it's official multiplayer that has a bunch of people playing on one planet. I don't care a bit about the multiplayer side of these kinds of games but it seems kinda neat.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 20, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

BRB pooping posted:

Oh yeah, you still need to micromanage. Spacebar is your friend.

Which is why i dont like the demands from some fans for multiplayer. How am i going to be able to micromanage if i cant pause? Gamespeed is another, when nothing is happening i go with the fastest and when the poo poo hits the fan i hammer that spacebar. If the gamespeed was fixed grenades would be awful

It seems to me that most friendly fire incidents could be avoided if only pawns/animals blocked line of sight and grenades had a minimum range of 3-4 squares

Alas that hasn't been implemented yet which is how one of my colonists died recently, shot in the back of the head as his buddy tried to shoot past him to hit the berserk rodent he was fighting

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:cripes:

Zhentar posted:

That's poo poo. Of all the cool new stuff that's a major step back regarding something that bothered me about the game before. I was annoyed by how much of a lottery surgery was. I guess now it's enough of a consistent failure rate that you just shouldn't try it without glitterworld medicine.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 20, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I foresee a lot more save scumming with that much of a hit to medical skills.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

quote:

Animals carrying inventory now have visible packs on.
:3:

Also I hope spaciousness of room was changed so that you don't need beds in the middle of the room anymore.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lunethex posted:

I foresee a lot more save scumming with that much of a hit to medical skills.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of that bit :( more reason to buy glitterworld medicine though, I guess

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I won't mind the changes to medicine at all once a trade rebalance comes, but for right now it really blows because all trade borders on exploitation.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
I'm impressed, seems like a pretty big content update. Though to be fair I don't have any idea when A15 came out.

As a side note, as far as game developers go Tynan's a pretty good presenter. Enjoyed his excitement whenever he got to say "Now you're the _____!"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arkangelus posted:

"Now you're the _____!"

Now you're the man, dog: Have a colony with no colonists and a trained dog.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
sweet, rooms have purpose now. I always built them 8x8 marble walled and floored rooms but now it will actually pay off

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

7x7 bedrooms work out really well right now.

Is that the walls or the internal space?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Internal space. 42 tiles (i.e., 6x7) is the minimum for the "spaciousness' bonus now and the impressiveness bonuses have been rebalanced too. Basically you need a minimum of a 3x3 (internal space) bedroom with a "normal" bed and wood floors to avoid a penalty, and a 7x7 room with stone floors and a normal bed will get a small bonus.

It works out really well for my "standard' fort design -- I can do a perimeter of 7x7 bedrooms and the "corner" bedrooms are irregularly shaped but still total 49 tiles so equivalent space.

Guide is mostly updated for A16 now -- link here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Thanks for the help everyone (especially Zhentar). Any feedback / comments appreciated as always. One thing I haven't been able to fully verify via play is whether or not dining rooms and rec rooms still need to be separate rooms for colonists to get both bonuses.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 21, 2016

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
even all though all these things are cool and good tm, I'm not sure I could play the new update without all the awesome QoL mods that will not have been updated yet.

:(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

McGiggins posted:

even all though all these things are cool and good tm, I'm not sure I could play the new update without all the awesome QoL mods that will not have been updated yet.

:(

A lot of them already have. Prepare carefully is updated, as is PowerSwitch and Qualitybuilder and a few others. Only one I was really heavily using that isn't updated yet seems to be Defensive Positions.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Then i will go shopping and prepare some food in a careful manner, to be fed and sated for the beginning of another 400+ hours of rimworld!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

In particular, pawns don't seem to get the malus from having their beds against the wall anymore, which means that you don't have to set it dead center in the room. This means that your barracks can be more nicely spaced.

Digging A16 so far, sent my colonist to the nearby town to sell off some vendor trash, picked up a couple nice weapons in response.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roadie posted:

Now you're the man, dog: Have a colony with no colonists and a trained dog.

I can't believe you didn't use this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X-R6yKa99g

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
A16 looks great, I really need to wrap up my A15 colony since I've never beaten the game and it's pretty solid.

I don't mind the hit to medicine too much in theory, surgery is some difficult poo poo and doing it without the right equipment and drugs is a serious gamble. If it turns out infuriating in practice, I'm sure there'll be a mod up in five minutes.

No 'hold fire' button, then? Pawns are absolutely capable of shooting round each other as long as they're standing still. It's when the quickest/nearest people in the group start shooting as soon as they arrive and the stragglers are still forming up that causes issues for me. It means you end up doing a ridiculous micromanagey juggle with everyone.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It wouldn't be such a problem if weapons were more of an inventory item that you assign and you could carry a secondary along with some sort of utility item like a pick axe. It remains a weird throw back that needs to go.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So I just happened to find this mod:

quote:

No RNG in Death

Removes the 67% chance for all non-colonist, non-prisoner pawns to die when they should only be getting downed instead. This is most noticeable during raids, when raiders spontaneously die after having their leg shot off. However, this obviously creates a game balance issue, as you will be able to capture every single raider that doesn't have their torso or a vital organ destroyed. There's an optional file that increases Torso health to 60 so people don't die to having their torso destroyed as often and thus get downed more reliably.

Works very will with any non-lethal weapon mod, since they no longer randomly turn into instant-kill weapon mods.

I didn't know about this 67% thing, which explains how people I try to capture keep dying without taking lethal damage <:mad:> Tynan you sneaky jerk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd imagine that with bleeding now being much more deadly the loss of limbs would mean you need to get that person off the field asap or they are goners.

I wish there was a way that you could give you colonists field medicine kits so they could patch one another or themselves in the field or apply tourniquets. Make glitterworld medically kits be the king poo poo that can keep people going for a long, long time while regular medicines just stops bleeding very well for a while and reduces pain, and herbal medicine is just a mild pain reliever and reduces bleeding to a less deadly level.