Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also oda said:

reverie and wano are both next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm likin the manga, folks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gyges posted:

I was very surprised when I went and watched it. It actually moves very fast. There's no scream power up episodes until the very end of the last martial arts tournament arc. And then Goku and Chichi have a wedding arc where they spend like 4 episodes trying to save a wedding dress.

that's a filler arc. read the manga it's way faster. dragon ball is pretty fast but the manga is still faster and the dbz anime is very slow compared to either

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mabels big day posted:

I'm likin the manga, folks.

Please post your thoughts as you read through if you're willing, those are always fun

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

anime was right posted:

also oda said:

There is so much happening in One Piece right now. Where was this pacing for the early parts of the New World??

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

mabels big day posted:

Because the anime was much more readily available to me in a convenient and legal form, and I liked the dub voices.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. For me neither is readily available in a convenient and legal form, so I didn't even consider this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when one piece is outlawed...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

oddium posted:

when one piece is outlawed...

I'll be King of the Pirates
I'm gonna be king

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo, ho-ho

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Asuron posted:

There is so much happening in One Piece right now. Where was this pacing for the early parts of the New World??

Taking a backseat to the "Holy hell look how strong everyone (except Zoro, gently caress you Zoro fans) got arc, the "We need a cool island adventure that ends up taking a backseat to more setup" arc, and the "SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS I HOPE YOU LOVE loving SETUP FOR LATER poo poo" arcs, respectively.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Please post your thoughts as you read through if you're willing, those are always fun

Random thoughts: Usopp is my favorite character on the Straw Hat crew, and I also love Buggy and Smoker. The stories have all been excellent so far. I think I liked Chopper's intro arc the best, but Arlong Park was also extremely good. I've never hated a villain more than the rear end in a top hat butler from Usopp's first arc. Coming off of stuff like Hunter x Hunter where villains are a lot more complex, it's kind of refreshing to have villains be straight up evil with no redemption.

Currently on the Skypia arc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's nice to have the occasional psychopath villain. Not all of them are that way though, not even the big bad of skypiea, who is suitably hosed up, but not necessarily without reason.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

It's nice to have the occasional psychopath villain. Not all of them are that way though, not even the big bad of skypiea, who is suitably hosed up, but not necessarily without reason.

It's really too bad no one ever asked him what he needed with a spaceship.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gyges posted:

he wanted to go to space

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

mabels big day posted:

Currently on the Skypia arc.

post-skypia up until fishman island is the strongest bit of the manga. enjoy...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, also the fan translations are pretty drat garbage until Impel down, so the choice is a lot easier until like, two weeks ago when Viz's omnibuses caught up to the Amazon Lily.

Just from a meta-history perspective, is there any particular reason why the early One Piece translations were such horrendous garbage? Is it because the better translators only got into the series later when it initially picked up in popularity or what?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Just from a meta-history perspective, is there any particular reason why the early One Piece translations were such horrendous garbage? Is it because the better translators only got into the series later when it initially picked up in popularity or what?

One Piece is old enough that there just were not good scanlations for the majority of its run.

But also yeah it didn't have a consistent group for a long time, since it wasn't as popular as Naruto and Bleach in the English-speaking world.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the skypiea arc is awesome, and it's nearing its climax i think, but in the back of my head I'm just thinking about how rubber doesn't conduct electricity so luffy's gotta be a hard counter to this guy, but idk if that logic will hold up. then again I can't think of a better way to knock a guy thinking he's God off his high horse than putting him against someone his powers are literally useless against

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

anime was right posted:

also oda said:

But when is Elbaf ?!?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Crazyeyes posted:

But when is Elbaf ?!?

the last island before raftel imo

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Jose posted:

the last island before raftel imo

That's Sniper Island.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

mabels big day posted:

the skypiea arc is awesome, and it's nearing its climax i think, but in the back of my head I'm just thinking about how rubber doesn't conduct electricity so luffy's gotta be a hard counter to this guy, but idk if that logic will hold up. then again I can't think of a better way to knock a guy thinking he's God off his high horse than putting him against someone his powers are literally useless against

These are good posts and you should keep making them.

... poo poo, that sounded like sarcasm. I actual mean that. I just can't respond much more without risking spoilers.

mabels big day posted:

Because the anime was much more readily available to me in a convenient and legal form, and I liked the dub voices.

I can't handle the English voices. A lot of them are very good, but Luffy is just... wrong. He sounds too old or too edgy or something. Too much gravel in his voice.

I watched the trailer for Film Gold with some friends to see if maybe we'd want to see it in theater in January. We were on the fence for a bit but then Luffy started talking about being the King of Pirates and one of my friends was like, "Noooooope." We didn't even finish the trailer, she made me turn it off. lol

lowercase16 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 20, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lowercase16 posted:

These are good posts and you should keep making them.

... poo poo, that sounded like sarcasm. I actual mean that. I just can't respond much more without risking spoilers.

I can't handle the English voices. A lot of them are very good, but Luffy is just... wrong. He sounds too old or too edgy or something. Too much gravel in his voice.

I watched the trailer for Film Gold with some friends to see if maybe we'd want to see it in theater in January. We were on the fence for a bit but then Luffy started talking about being the King of Pirates and one of my friends was like, "Noooooope." We didn't even finish the trailer, she made me turn it off. lol

I guess I have a high tolerance for that stuff because I think Luffy's voice is great. I'm glad I watched a good chunk of the anime first because it lets me read the characters in their voices, and also I can hear some of the catchier songs from the soundtrack in my head during fitting scenes as well.

I finished Skypiea so I'm taking a break for now. I might go back to the anime and check out a few of the memorable scenes and see how they were adapted.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

lowercase16 posted:

I like Colleen Clinkenbeard's Luffy. :shrug: I think she does a really good job, especially on certain scenes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think the English Dub fits the character better than the original. But then I usually think that the Japanese choices tend to have a higher voice than I think fits.

KoB
May 1, 2009
English Luffy just sounds like a kid who is trying and failing to sound tough.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

He sounds like what I imagine Huckleberry Finn to sound like so that works

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
franky's VA is pretty weak in english (not awful, just... does not compare to the original at all), and i hate chopper's va. pretty much everyone is okay otherwise i think.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
TBH I think Luffy's dub voice actor ends up straining too much the further the dub goes (compare the Mock Town episodes they started on to the newest stuff) but nails Luffy's personality super hard. I guess the actual voice the actor/directors are still going with aren't great but the acting itself is what I'm saying?

Still find it pretty weird that he's voiced by Riza Hawkeye and Kai 18.

Edit:

anime was right posted:

franky's VA is pretty weak in english (not awful, just... does not compare to the original at all), and i hate chopper's va. pretty much everyone is okay otherwise i think.

It's a shame because the first thing he dubs Franky for is one of the games and he sounds WAY more like Franky should.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 21, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sinners Sandwich posted:

He sounds like what I imagine Huckleberry Finn to sound like so that works

Yeah, there is a Huck vibe to it.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011

KoB posted:

This is perfect, I could never put my finger on the problem but this is exactly it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

KoB posted:

I can agree with this, but Luffy's personality makes it believable

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

That's Sniper Island.

Why are you assuming that Elbaf and Sniper Island are two different places?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

Why are you assuming that Elbaf and Sniper Island are two different places?

Now you've got me thinking of how giant snipers operate.

Are they just really good at throwing rocks.

Do they have dart guns that shoot darts the size of spears.

Do giant guns shoot cannonballs.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hate-Senpai posted:

I've got this great image in my head of a Giant sniper wheeling around a mile-long blow dart gun and basically bringing it within a few feet if their target.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

they probably have giant guns

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Gyges posted:

.... is this... a Star Trek V reference??

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oddium posted:

they probably have giant guns

yeti not that cool brothers

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Happy Happyist posted:

.... is this... a Star Trek V reference??

Thank you for also knowing about Spock's dumb half brother.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Gyges posted:

Thank you for also knowing about Spock's dumb half brother.

I literally watched this for the first time 2 weeks ago and while the movie was garbage for some reason its stuck with me more than the rest of the original movies save for the one with the whales cause that was dirt nasty

I also realized tupac used a sample from this movie near the end of it which means he must have sat through the entire movie???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

anime was right posted:

Franky's VA isn't bad but Franky was specifically designed to give his Japanese VA a full time job on One Piece so any other voice for him is not going to sound nearly as good.

Usopp and Brook are better in the dub and everyone else is at least okay.