Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

rinski posted:

One problem I'm grappling with is the sense of what's "good enough." For example, when I look at this animation, I can tell the shading is a bit off, but I don't find it jarring. But because my perspective is one of relative ignorance, I'm unsure how many people view this similarly, how many people would balk at the shading and think it really detracts from the animation, and how many people might sense something seems off but aren't quite sure what. I think my best bet is to aim for the latter space, partially because I enjoy that aesthetic and partially out of rationalization: I'd like to finish this project and the road to competent pixel art is long and blocky.

If the light source is casting shadows on the lower part of the sphere, it seems like the stalk and some of the other parts should be casting longer shadows too, on the sphere and themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Some portraits from the last few weeks.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I've been taking Ben Anderson's pixel art course (do recommend, by the way), here's my colored in project from that course.

It's my Lucas amiibo. Something feels a little off about it, but I'm not sure what.

It's harder than I would have thought to work in such low resolution!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ben Anderson isn't awful, but he's not really a master of the art either (based on what I've seen on his pixeljoint anyway). That's not to say the course won't be worthwhile, but I'd recommend also taking some time to read through the Pixelation forums and poking around Pixeljoint as well. That said, you are off to a good start so it can't be too bad!

Just some broad comments on your sprite. Your palette is generally low in contrast, so a lot of colors are bleeding together. This means that details don't really show up and it also tends to give things a bit of a blurry look that it's best to avoid. Shading-wise, it's important to have a directional light source in mind so that you know where shadows should be cast. Broadly speaking, you want your shading to communicate three-dimensional forms, and it's hard to do that if lighting isn't consistent between different parts of the sprite. As-is, you sort of have an above-left light source, which is a good choice, but it isn't really reflected on every part of the sprite, particularly the shirt.
I made an edited version to suggest a direction you could take it--I'll remove it if you'd prefer but I hope it can be helpful.

A couple of other points: it's tempting to want to keep the original proportions on things like hands, but this gets difficult at low resolutions, so it's usually worthwhile to simplify or change proportions to make things read better.

edit
Rinski: a quick edit of one of the frames that I think best showcases the issue you were mentioning:

Your current shading is basically hugging the outlines on the head, which doesn't really do much to convey forms (and also adds in a fair amount of banding, see OP). Even with a low color count you could definitely have a more three-dimensional look to the sprite without having to put in too much more work. But of course, "good enough" is going to be entirely contextual, and it's not like what you have looks bad.
Another thing is that, while you've put a whole lot of work into making a lot of frames, you're selling your work a bit short by having them all essentially have the same timing. It can have more impact with a bit of speeding up in places:

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 18, 2018

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Another thing is that, while you've put a whole lot of work into making a lot of frames, you're selling your work a bit short by having them all essentially have the same timing. It can have more impact with a bit of speeding up in places:

Hmm. I'll try to play around with speed more in the future. I hadn't really considered it, but it does make sense. Also, regarding shading, I think I'm starting to understand what you, Diabetes Forecast, and General Specific were saying a bit better. It wasn't clicking for a while, but your edit made me start thinking in terms of "layers of shadow," which for some reason helped a lot. I tried giving it a shot and saw some minor improvement, I think. I'll keep practicing.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

blatt blatt, noyemi's bringing gats

Pik
Jan 22, 2015

Here's a fun "How to Play" button for my admittedly slow Kid Icarus SNES homebrew (as well as a controller sprite inspired by Kirby Super Star's)

Coincidentally, the 30th anniversary of the original game is also next Monday.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
A little doodle I made the other day:

Its a soul sucker :v:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_5nNQmszDw

Lot's of neato stuff in the thread folks. I've just been lurking recently but I've dusted off my wacom and will draw something.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Today's adventure in iterative design: light bugs. These guys were some of the first enemy sprites I made, and initially they were just intended to be generic flying enemies. In a later pass, I decided they lived in hives built in the hollowed-out bodies of larger, seemingly more menacing enemies (I like some creepy with my cute). Today I finally got around to designing what their queen looked like. During that doodle session, the light bugs evolved into something... more. Apparently, sometime in the distant past, a peculiar adaptation emerged: drones began using their corrosive saliva to fuse their queens' heads together. The queens' brains gradually networked together, forming giant biological computers.

Travelers tell tall tales of gigantic, floating masses hovering lazily over sprawling, alien cities. These morbid flights of fancy are best ignored.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

rinski posted:

Today's adventure in iterative design: light bugs. These guys were some of the first enemy sprites I made, and initially they were just intended to be generic flying enemies. In a later pass, I decided they lived in hives built in the hollowed-out bodies of larger, seemingly more menacing enemies (I like some creepy with my cute). Today I finally got around to designing what their queen looked like. During that doodle session, the light bugs evolved into something... more. Apparently, sometime in the distant past, a peculiar adaptation emerged: drones began using their corrosive saliva to fuse their queens' heads together. The queens' brains gradually networked together, forming giant biological computers.

Travelers tell tall tales of gigantic, floating masses hovering lazily over sprawling, alien cities. These morbid flights of fancy are best ignored.

I am loving what I am seeing here!

https://twitter.com/modernmodron/status/809072842348367872/photo/1
"the heartwood" the core of a game that im currently working on

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Some terrain types meant to be put onto cards (hence the dimensions)

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Old Man Mozz posted:

"the heartwood" the core of a game that im currently working on

I mentioned it on twitter, but I really, really like anatomical structures outside their intended context. This is great.

Holy poo poo, these are incredible, especially these last two. I really like the aesthetic of this location, especially the juxtaposition of structures with a clear purpose (the wires and pipes) and those without (the random boxes, oil river, cracked sphere).

To contribute: instead of doing anything productive on my game, I instead doodled this holiday spirit. Start your rituals today to ensure an adequate seasonal haunting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alright here's my first attempt at Pixel Art.

I first sketched something in SAI, brought it over to Paint.net, scaled it down, and then traced over it.

I'm going to try to make some animations too.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Did a mock-up for the code guy for how the menu might work, but it was pointed out to me that hamburger menus are terrible. I guess I'll just have a buttons in the bottom corners and maybe put the "slide to unlock pause" option in the settings menu?

Also, here's a race of oceanic polyp cyborgs, which augmented themselves to live on land (and sometimes in orbs). They adorn themselves and their mini-orbs with sea plants, to remind them of their briny home. Though comforting, the plants tend to attract flies.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So I was looking at different ways games did their run animations, and I went looking for sprites for SmashTV. I found something crazy. I have no idea if it's okay to post some other sprite ripper's work, so I'll link it: http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/The_Deathbringer/smashtv.png

Basically, the head and the body are two separate parts, probably so that the programmers could control what direction the guy is running and which gun he has without ten billion sprites. But I would think that would look really stiff in a modern game. Would it? What do you all think?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a totally legit technique. For modern pixel art games I would point you to Tower 57. I think it's the same technique Brigador uses as well though that's not pixel art.

I think Ikari Warriors in the arcade used a similar method of layering separate sprites for the torso and legs?

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Bean posted:

So I was looking at different ways games did their run animations, and I went looking for sprites for SmashTV. I found something crazy. I have no idea if it's okay to post some other sprite ripper's work, so I'll link it: http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/The_Deathbringer/smashtv.png

Basically, the head and the body are two separate parts, probably so that the programmers could control what direction the guy is running and which gun he has without ten billion sprites. But I would think that would look really stiff in a modern game. Would it? What do you all think?

I see this technique used a lot in indie dual joystick shooters, and no, it doesn't look great most of the time. Serviceable, maybe, but not great. It might just be my "I grew up with 8/16-bit games" bias, but I think something like Smash TV looks much better than a lot of more modern takes on the technique, primarily because I'm used to low-res sprites snapping between 4 or 8 different directions.

In modern games, I think whether or not this technique scans well depends on the overall art style of the game and what exactly the two halves of the sprite are.

A lot of indie dual joystick shooters like to have some light animation for the legs half, but for the top half they mostly just use a static sprite that they rotate to face wherever your controller is pointing, which, you're right, looks really stiff. This is compounded by the fact that many of these games offer full 360° range of motion for both the legs and the torso, so you wind up with the very unnatural-looking result of your character's top and bottom halves pinwheeling around each other in opposite directions.

Honestly, the only time I've seen this technique used well were when the game was really stylized, either low-res or otherwise. Something like Binding of Isaac splits the sprite into a head and a body, which both makes more sense visually (you can rotate your head quickly and more or less independently of the rest of your body) and its simple, stylized graphics help mask the remaining weirdness.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
You can also get more milage out of it by bobbing the two separate parts rather than just have them stiffly connected.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Being balls deep in NES era stuff still I can tell you that a lot of the taller sprites youd see back then worked like that. The Shatterhand guy for example is 2 seperate sprites that animate independently, its also how they get around the colour restrictions and also also why that dudes waist is so tiny.

I think the contra guys were similar?

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Bullying destroys lives, you guys.

Edit: for closure

rinski fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 8, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So I've been trying to practice with pixel art and so far my work flow involves doodling in SAI and then downsizing it in Paint.net than tracing over it pixel by pixel, but I lose so much detail (and things get so blurry) with my reference image that it's hard to keep track of what I'm working on.

Has anyone figured out how to have a high resolution image layer underneath a very low resolution layer?

Additionally and I presume this is more of an issue with working with pixel art at small resolutions but is it basically impossible to rotate a selection your working on? I assume it's trying to interpolate pixels.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I've been trying to practice with pixel art and so far my work flow involves doodling in SAI and then downsizing it in Paint.net than tracing over it pixel by pixel, but I lose so much detail (and things get so blurry) with my reference image that it's hard to keep track of what I'm working on.

Has anyone figured out how to have a high resolution image layer underneath a very low resolution layer?

Additionally and I presume this is more of an issue with working with pixel art at small resolutions but is it basically impossible to rotate a selection your working on? I assume it's trying to interpolate pixels.

I think Aesprite just added that feature actually!
https://www.aseprite.org/

edit : perhaps it's coming in a future update? there's also paint of persia
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tools/paint-persia-new-free-tool-rotoscoping-pixel-art-141093.html

Old Man Mozz fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 13, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Old Man Mozz posted:

I think Aesprite just added that feature actually!
https://www.aseprite.org/

edit : perhaps it's coming in a future update? there's also paint of persia
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tools/paint-persia-new-free-tool-rotoscoping-pixel-art-141093.html

Nice, and it's only 15$ too, I'll have to get it once I'm back home. :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've spent the first two weeks of this year running around with sick pets and all sorts of mad stuff. Barely had any time even for proper paid work :sweatdrop: But here's some crap I pooped out when I had a spare like 20 minutes.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I've spent the first two weeks of this year running around with sick pets and all sorts of mad stuff. Barely had any time even for proper paid work :sweatdrop: But here's some crap I pooped out when I had a spare like 20 minutes.

Dang. Most of the stuff you post is really stylistically different and all of it looks good.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Heh heh I'm glad someone enjoys my terrible ADD :D

Here's a gif from that NES project that I forgot to post

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Working on a tileset & font for a game. The pangram is where the title would be if the game had a title. :v:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Music Theory posted:

Working on a tileset & font for a game. The pangram is where the title would be if the game had a title. :v:

The kerning seems a bit spread open, can you close it up at all or is it restricted by your tile dimension?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I stitched together some of my terrain chunks into a new facebook cover.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Hello friends. Here is a sample screen mockup I made to test some animations and general forest geoblock assets. While I'm sure my animation process is grossly inefficient, this took me so long that I'm nearly positive it'll be more efficient to just code stuff into the game, then use the game engine for mockups instead. So I guess I'll try that next time.

I also made a version where the portal flickers subtly (a 5% opacity black that oscillates between frames), but that turned a 222KB gif into a 16MB file, which is so darn big imgur saved it as a gifv video file instead of a normal gif. So here's a link in case you want to see the exact same animation with a minor effect added.

Scut posted:

I stitched together some of my terrain chunks into a new facebook cover.

Still really digging the aesthetic. Perhaps even more so now that there's an emoting computer in the middle of this weird desolate techno-wasteland.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fixin' poses and robots. Still think there's something wrong with my bot's legs

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Hips(or torso) are turned too far if you're trying to restrict it to human anatomy limitations.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I can't unsee the two leftmost ones as crossing their arms and turning to the left in a really sassy way. Are they not meant to have arms?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wait...you guys can't see their arms??

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Looks like the robot on the left is at the end of a cross punch hook to me, just the torso/hip rotation looks weird.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 25, 2017

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Shoehead posted:

try as I can, I simply can not

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Obsurveyor posted:

Looks like the robot on the left is at the end of a cross punch hook to me, just the torso/hip rotation looks weird.

My brain can't decide if it's that or a bulky chest part facing straight ahead and no arms.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
:v: I'm messin, his full sprite has arms but I chopped em off to try and re-pose him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Workin on a new tileset

(where's everyone gone?)