Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Dyna Soar posted:

This is the plan I think. Biggest reason is probably because they just can't keep milking early access forever.
They could with early acess to three other season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nyaa posted:

They could with early acess to three other season!

Yeah sure, I meant this early access.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Long Dark in spring sounds so weird to me, like every mechanic in the game revolves in some way around the cold and that's what makes it so good. I trust the devs tho.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
The geomagnetic storm could like, alter the season so that the spring, summer and fall are all relatively short and the winter very long. Idk, sounds like a huge amount of work to balance it.

I mean, surviving in the forest in the summer is a peace of cake. Even the northern forests are filled with food up until the snows come.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 14, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Maybe the current sandbox is actually set in summer, and winters will be so cold you need an environment suit to step outside.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

If this game becomes unreal world I will be so happy. Stockpiling food and drying meat in the summer and fall to get you through the winter would be so cool.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would kill for a co-op version of TLD. The game mechanics as they are prevent it though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah basically turning TLD into a deeper Don't Starve would be awesome.

If you start in winter and end up burning through a lot of the pre-disaster resources spring/summer/autumn could be tension building as you race around trying to prepare to survive another winter with less salvageable resources. Sounds like with planting/expanded fishing planned you'd need to move to more sustainable surviving and less can opening.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm more concerned about NPC implementation than seasons. Half the appeal of TLD for me is the solitude. Just you, a shitton of wolves, and the snow. So many other survival sims have hostile humanoids/bartering/etc that TLD's current state is a breath of fresh air. I've already seen the devs say they don't want a slider approach to sandbox difficulties*, so the player's stuck with whatever approach they take to NPCs.

*Which is a shame for other reasons - I'd love to have the weather & item spawns of higher difficulties with the animal behavior of lower ones.

Dyna Soar posted:

The geomagnetic storm could like, alter the season so that the spring, summer and fall are all relatively short and the winter very long. Idk, sounds like a huge amount of work to balance it.

I mean, surviving in the forest in the summer is a peace of cake. Even the northern forests are filled with food up until the snows come.
There'd be different problems, though. Imagine having to remember/care where water is, instead of just melting snow. Or figuring out what plants are poisonous and which are safe.

Food would decay much faster thanks to increased heat and humidity. Paths over rivers and lakes have to be changed once they melt; knowing where bridges are suddenly gets a lot more important. Some areas may even flood, particularly near the mountains. It'd be a lot harder to see bears & wolves when they're not against a white backdrop; they could also get more active in the warmer months.

I still can't picture it being as hard as winter, but there's plenty of ways to avoid it being a cakewalk.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

dylguy90 posted:

If this game becomes unreal world I will be so happy. Stockpiling food and drying meat in the summer and fall to get you through the winter would be so cool.

And they should also merge in My Summer Car for maximum Finnishness. Fight off a bear with your (metric) spanner then drive 50 feet down the road in your shitbox before it explodes in your face and your stuck in a random marsh and it's 40 below.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
TLD needs polar bears.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I'd love TLD to turn into a 3d UnReal World, but considering it's taken them 2 years to get to this point it will probably take a decade to even reach all 4 seasons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So it sounds like The Forest has an actual ending now as opposed to being perpetual survival. Has anyone given it a try recently?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Considering UrW had been in development for like 20+ years... I think it says things about both games that they are at all similar.

E: re: the forest - last I heard it took them like a full year to implement a vault door

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

dylguy90 posted:

Considering UrW had been in development for like 20+ years... I think it says things about both games that they are at all similar.

20+ years by an amateur developer, mostly by himself in his free time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

20+ years by an amateur developer, mostly by himself in his free time.

Dwarf Fortress "released" in 2006.

quote:

Adams calls it his life's work and said in 2011, that version 1.0 will not be ready for at least another 20 years, and even after that he would continue to work on it.

I can only imagine what DF will look like in 2031. He will die of Mtn. Dew exposure before then.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Do you think toady or grrm has better odds of living to see their life's work completed?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they are both going to die

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The TLD guy strikes me as someone who loves going outdoors, whereas toady made a game about making self sufficient caves for entire races of agoraphobic troglodytes.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Dwarf Fortress "released" in 2006.

I can only imagine what DF will look like in 2031. He will die of Mtn. Dew exposure before then.

only crazily overclocked PCs that run out of sub-zero temperature freezers will be able to play it because it still won't be multithreaded

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I once looked at the Unreal World guy's blog and I got halfway through a post describing him tracking a lynx's pawprints before I realized he was talking about real life instead of game mechanics.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tehan posted:

I once looked at the Unreal World guy's blog and I got halfway through a post describing him tracking a lynx's pawprints before I realized he was talking about real life instead of game mechanics.

Yeah, the game "art" is him and his buddies and their 1.3mp camera with homemade Paleolithic weapons.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
The guy certainly has an interesting overlap in skills specifically suited to developing a low-tech survival sim.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wish there was a way to craft components in Sheltered, or that the recycling center didn't take so long. I'm in dire need of more valves. Couple of tires as well; I'm four achievements away from 100%.

EDIT: This thread gets so few screen shots.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 17, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the long dark just got an update, new area & changes to the clothing system:

http://www.hinterlandforums.com/index.php?/topic/13659-the-long-dark-sandbox-updated-to-v386-%E2%80%9Cresolute-outfitter%E2%80%9D/

and just when I thought I was reaching the end of things to do on my interloper run

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Hah, yeah I played for a few hours earlier, went to take the dog out for a walk and when I get back the inventory looks completely different!

The avatar in the clothing UI is ugly as gently caress

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Did they keep it so you can harvest/repair clothes from the main inventory, instead of going to the clothing menu first? Because that was annoying during the test branch.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Was there ever a thread for Miscreated? Started playing with some friends, then went solo and saw a server called Goon Squad and played on that a bit. I know its probably not other SA players, but thought I'd see if anyone else plays on occasion.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Seriously, whats up with the pasty complexion?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
The clothing UI version is a low detail clown face version of that. It's no good.

fake edit: Still the best survival game

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I think the face thing is just an art style thing? It always seemed odd to me in the art for story mode, but you don't see it in game before this update so it never bothered me.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
nothing wrong with the art style per se, just the chalky white skin and rosy red cheeks makes them looks exactly like clowns. such a weird choice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Forlorn​ Muskeg has NOTHING. I spent several days looking for any shelter at all besides burned out buildings and caves. Survived two wolf attacks and several sprained appendages before I found the railroad (where a bear was hanging out) and booked my rear end to Mystery Lake.

Hello lake cabin, my old friend.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Forlorn​ Muskeg has NOTHING. I spent several days looking for any shelter at all besides burned out buildings and caves. Survived two wolf attacks and several sprained appendages before I found the railroad (where a bear was hanging out) and booked my rear end to Mystery Lake.

Hello lake cabin, my old friend.

there's supposedly shelter and a forge.

i'm starting a new game tonight, apparently old saves won't get the new updated loot tables.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

there's supposedly shelter and a forge.

i'm starting a new game tonight, apparently old saves won't get the new updated loot tables.

I found the forge but the house it was next to was burned down. No idea if that's a chance thing.

All my old saves were invalid according to the game. Which is fine.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

yea I sort of wish some clothes, "mysteriously" re-appeared or something, as my interloper gal won't be able to use much layering since I harvested all the clothes I didn't need (what few I found of course) in every area. Either I make extra crafted clothes or take her to the Muskeg, but it's a pretty huge risk due to exposure, let alone animal attacks. It is rarely anything better than ~ -15°C on that save but typically the only thing I'm doing is fishing anyways. I went out there with my Stalker save and yea it is pretty barren with some exceptions (burnt out workshop with the forge, derailed train, some caves, hunting boxes).

Admiral Joeslop posted:

All my old saves were invalid according to the game. Which is fine.

really? that's weird :S Mine worked out of the gate yesterday unless some update since broke 'em. I haven't noticed any but I hope they fix whatever weird pause is happening after eating/drinking soon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

God that bug is annoying.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Was just playing a Osiris:New Dawn. It's still kind of barren but the art team for this game deserves mad props. It runs great and looks wonderful. I got to watch a meteor shower wreck my poo poo and then wreck me because I built in the middle of an open plain instead of near cover.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Was just playing a Osiris:New Dawn. It's still kind of barren but the art team for this game deserves mad props. It runs great and looks wonderful. I got to watch a meteor showe but butr wreck my poo poo and then wreck me because I built in the middle of an open plain instead of near cover.

:stare:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/402710/

I don't need another survival game but.... space...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
O:ND looks cool but

quote:

Osiris: New Dawn is a really big, ambitious game and we are a very small team.

quote:

“The release date for any game is always a moving target. With Osiris we not only want to build a ton of content and features into the game and planets, we also want to build out a fully realized Solar System that can be visited with each planet providing a unique experience for version 1.0. We estimate it will take about a year to get there.”

:lol:

See you in 8 years or something (right about the time they release the second planet and alpha 0.6)