Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Actually there have been some interesting studies that conclude that monetary incentives actually impede a person's ability for creative thought.

In a sense arting for money is stressful, and artists tend to be more productive in their work when they don't have to stress over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Which is why all truly great art comes from investment banker hobbyists

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pavlov posted:

Actually there have been some interesting studies that conclude that monetary incentives actually impede a person's ability for creative thought.

In a sense arting for money is stressful, and artists tend to be more productive in their work when they don't have to stress over it.

In other words, full communism now Basic Income Please

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't think agents are generally willing to work at the scale that would be most meaningful to developing comic artists. That said, monetizing a webcomic often starts the process of killing it, because running a business is a loving chore and almost everyone with a webcomic already has at least one other job.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renaissance Robot posted:

In other words, full communism now Basic Income Please

Yeah

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Would an agent mail my dead wasps for me? Asking for a friend.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i hate my webcomic and if anybody says they like it i will book a flight directly to their doorstep and place my bare rear end on their windows. there will be no end to the killing if it ever makes a dollar or a dime

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Avshalom posted:

i hate my webcomic and if anybody says they like it i will book a flight directly to their doorstep and place my bare rear end on their windows. there will be no end to the killing if it ever makes a dollar or a dime

these are above average Patreon reward tiers

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

these are above average Patreon reward tiers
i am a professional

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Avshalom posted:

Ah, the John Campbell method.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ah, the Basic Income Please method.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Basic Income Please also rejects the use of personal pronouns in reference to Basic Income Please, so all these people saying "them" are being pretty disrespectful. Basic Income Please being referred to in the way that suits Basic Income Please barely makes the speaker sound like a wrestler cutting a promo at all.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

What do you think of Basic Income Please? Well, I think Basic Income Please has some good points, but Basic Income Please should really have moderated Basic Income Please's message if Basic Income Please wanted Basic Income Please's essential point to get across to a receptive audience. Well, goodbye.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I felt Basic Income Please's post-meltdown message demanding basic income from former supporters as a middle finger to capitalism completely misses the point that you can't exempt yourself from capitalism, much less by demanding money from others, which was earned by engaging in the capitalist system. It's just adding one degree of separation, classifying yourself as a dependent like a child; it doesn't mean the child doesn't live "under capitalism". And money was still requested because money is what Basic Income Please wanted to use in exchange for goods and services.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

at least it's not coached in emotional blackmail this time

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i hate capitalism and money, in fact i despise money so much that as soon as i obtain a note of legal tender in any currency i tear it up to make nesting material for my chickens, which incidentally have a gregarious grain-based meritocracy that functions on obscure but definite social rules

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the flock currently includes a bonded pair where the male is a guinea fowl and the female is a chicken, that is to say not even the same species. to bring this full circle, interspecies sex is a prominent theme in my webcomic, in fact it is the only theme in my webcomic apart from the timeless classic "is there any solid matter on earth that can't become a sexual object if you put tits on it"

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the webcomic itself is a sexual object in that every time i finish a page i print it out, roll it up and stick it up my cooch. i then delete the file. incidentally i have exciting news: i am carrying my webcomic's child.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avshalom posted:

the flock currently includes a bonded pair where the male is a guinea fowl and the female is a chicken, that is to say not even the same species. to bring this full circle, interspecies sex is a prominent theme in my webcomic, in fact it is the only theme in my webcomic apart from the timeless classic "is there any solid matter on earth that can't become a sexual object if you put tits on it"

A baby's mouth?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

A baby's mouth?
i said "on"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Avshalom posted:

to bring this full circle, interspecies sex is a prominent theme in my webcomic, in fact it is the only theme in my webcomic apart from the timeless classic "is there any solid matter on earth that can't become a sexual object if you put tits on it"

it's nearly midnight and i'm sat here dying of laughter and wracking coughs. Now I remember why I put you on ignore last time

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the ignore list has no power over me

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Well if everybody will keep on quoting you, obviously.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i can only be slain by direct sunlight

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Avshalom, do you accept reader submissions for character designs, I'd like to offer mine:

Arkadiy was created (and drawn) to be a loosely autobiographical figure, as detailed in the extensive backstory that I wrote for him (which will be published separately by Gallery Press as Top 10 Subway Shops of the UK)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

it's nearly midnight and i'm sat here dying of laughter and wracking coughs. Now I remember why I put you on ignore last time

what the hell

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Avshalom, do you accept reader submissions for character designs, I'd like to offer mine:

Arkadiy was created (and drawn) to be a loosely autobiographical figure, as detailed in the extensive backstory that I wrote for him (which will be published separately by Gallery Press as Top 10 Subway Shops of the UK)
the design needs a bit of work to fit my concept but it has potential, give me a moment

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

perfect! thanks botl, i'll send you the royalties by messenger keet

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pick posted:

what the hell

Sorry Pick I know it's an inconvenience to everyone but I enjoy being alive, and I can't keep doing that if I'm dead of laughter from reading too many of avshalom's posts at once

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i forgive anyone who puts me on ignore and we will reunite in the afterlife

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Avshalom posted:

perfect! thanks botl, i'll send you the royalties by messenger keet

Does he get to keep it?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

giving money to john campbell at this point could literally be considered throwing money in the fire

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does he get to keep it?
only if it chooses to stay, they're kind of like cats

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Perfection

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pick posted:

I felt Basic Income Please's post-meltdown message demanding basic income from former supporters as a middle finger to capitalism completely misses the point that you can't exempt yourself from capitalism, much less by demanding money from others, which was earned by engaging in the capitalist system. It's just adding one degree of separation, classifying yourself as a dependent like a child; it doesn't mean the child doesn't live "under capitalism". And money was still requested because money is what Basic Income Please wanted to use in exchange for goods and services.

Yeah that's kind of the problem. So 100 people give Basic Income Please $20/mo, where are they getting that money? By selling garbage to each other. It's turtles all the way down.

Speaking of real Basic Income though, Finland is starting a pilot program for 2,000 unemployed people. There's also the Dauphin research in Canada that seemed pretty compelling.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Uthor posted:

Yeah! She's working on a video game, so it updates like once a month.

I think I waited for the second Dead Winter book longer than I waited for the Pictures For Sad Children book.

Not as long as I've been waiting for Nicholas Gurewitch's upcoming book...

Send me an email I'll get this sorted out ASAP. Also I work one week on gamedev and one week on comics alternating these days, so I probably will never be able to hit the update frequency I used to ever again but I promise I'm still working constantly on Media Entertainment.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Reiley posted:

Send me an email I'll get this sorted out ASAP. Also I work one week on gamedev and one week on comics alternating these days, so I probably will never be able to hit the update frequency I used to ever again but I promise I'm still working constantly on Media Entertainment.

Oh, I have the book. Just saying it took longer than expected to come out. And, really, truly, I'm not upset about it.

You do what you need to. I'm still a reader and I still enjoy the comic.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bless your kind heart.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I've just realised something. Assuming they don't get eaten by wendigos and get back to Tackleford, Erin and The Boy are back at school age. Which means they'll be contemporaries (maybe a year or two above in age) of the Mystery Teens. So I think we might see Erin vs. Mildred.

• Locked thread