Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Guys, we need a shot that gets people pumped and want to watch the next season

Video editor guy! This episode needs to be 2 minutes longer to put in more kfc ads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Camera zooms in on Rick and crew plotting to beat Negan over a few buckets of Original Recipe.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Bates posted:

I just want some scenes where people are kicking back and shooting the poo poo. Like humans. Have them cook up some moonshine and have a BBQ or throw a ball around or make some weird zombie dismantling machine or just do something, anything that a human being might do to let off some steam. It would be neat if sometimes people could smile, laugh, crack a few jokes. I might even be able to sort of relate to these weird broken aliens.

THIS. TWD needs this. This year has been a real loving slog to watch. The constant misery heaped upon the characters. Let's have some moments of levity. I'm already over this Negan rubbish.
Also, if TWD could stop killing tertiary characters for shock value, it'd be great. I am still annoyed we spent time giving Dr Denise screentime & character development only to kill her off suddenly. Same with Spencer and Olivia. Seriously show, it's hard to give a poo poo about anyone (except the main cast - unless foretold in the comics!) when viewers know you're going to deliberately and gruesomely kill them.

Also, sticking dogmatically to the comics isn't great. I love this show when it takes some ideas from the comics and then gives its own take on it all. The SuperFlu/Terminus stuff is probably the strongest work the show has done IMO (Apart from inexplicable murder bus)

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Bates posted:

Mostly the show has three different scenes - 1) Characters talking very seriously about what they are going to do 2) Lingering shots of people staring into the distance because they're sad and that's deep 3) Fighting stuff or being very, very angry or possibly going insane.

I just want some scenes where people are kicking back and shooting the poo poo. Like humans. Have them cook up some moonshine and have a BBQ or throw a ball around or make some weird zombie dismantling machine or just do something, anything that a human being might do to let off some steam. It would be neat if sometimes people could smile, laugh, crack a few jokes. I might even be able to sort of relate to these weird broken aliens.

Best part of Zombieland was them hanging out with Bill Murray.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

Guys, we need a shot that gets people pumped and want to watch the next season

Video editor guy! This episode needs to be 2 minutes longer to put in more kfc ads!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXNce4unN8

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A worthy double feature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zcum6lPrRo
Spoilers for those who haven't seen Battlestar Galactica

Andrew_1985 posted:

THIS. TWD needs this. This year has been a real loving slog to watch. The constant misery heaped upon the characters.

Am I the only person who has no problem with the idea of them being miserable and serious for a while, despite them utterly ruining this with execution?

I can't take their situation seriously when it hasn't even been half a month of occupation and they have chance after chance after chance to deal with Negan and don't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This show is basically Nihilism: The Series so don't expect a lot of casual moments.

Part of the problem this season has been the inordinate amount of 90 minute episodes that were not needed. A lot of things so far in almost every episode could have been cut.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

FlamingLiberal posted:

This show is basically Nihilism: The Series so don't expect a lot of casual moments.

Part of the problem this season has been the inordinate amount of 90 minute episodes that were not needed. A lot of things so far in almost every episode could have been cut.

The 90 minute episodes were likely 45 minutes of commercials conservatively.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Was bow boy a part of that whole nod-off or was he taking a piss

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/f0HYVBu.gifv

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

^Gets better every time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Finally watched the loving mid-season-finale and easily the worst part was the stupid Maggie "apple pie" scene.

LOL GET IT PREGNANT WOMEN ARE HUNGRY AND LOL SHE SMELLED PIE THROUGH DOOR

She's barely pregnant, isn't even showing and they're still doing the age-old trite "craving" thing.

I guess it wouldn't be so stupid if Maggie wasn't the worst character on the show and very poorly acted (which I suspect wouldn't be too much of an issue if it wasn't for the horrible accent).

GAWWWWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDD

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've never been pregnant nor in a zombie apocalypse but I don't know if the pregnancy cravings would actually still be a thing to complain about when resources are scarce and everyone misses real food?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

BonoMan posted:

Finally watched the loving mid-season-finale and easily the worst part was the stupid Maggie "apple pie" scene.

LOL GET IT PREGNANT WOMEN ARE HUNGRY AND LOL SHE SMELLED PIE THROUGH DOOR

She's barely pregnant, isn't even showing and they're still doing the age-old trite "craving" thing.

I guess it wouldn't be so stupid if Maggie wasn't the worst character on the show and very poorly acted (which I suspect wouldn't be too much of an issue if it wasn't for the horrible accent).

GAWWWWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDD
That's a very particular thing to rage about. Wanna talk about it?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Final Request: Herman Cain

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aardark posted:

That's a very particular thing to rage about. Wanna talk about it?

Yes. Pregnancy cravings do not hit that early on and it's clearly a shallow attempt by the "writers" (they don't *NOT* deserve quotation marks at this point) to remind us she's pregnant. Like we would forget.

Her acting is horrendous... akin to when people, whose characters are supposed to be hungry, eat in the same way they slather on suntan lotion. We get it. You don't have to be a damned caricature to get your point across.

Yes you would use a plate. It's loving apple pie. You ain't eating that poo poo off a knife. But as an audience we're supposed to be all "HHAHAHAH GET IT SHE'S PREGNANT SO SHE DON'T NEED NO PLATES! SHE'S HONGRY!"

It's so lowest common denominator that it makes all of their (the "writers") other poo poo Emmy worthy.

Or Golden Globes? Which is it?

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
There's more to television/film production than writers. The original script may even be changed from what they wrote because the director or PM or producer or 1st AD or one of the actors had a different idea. Maybe they had an idea for a particular special effect or stunt sequence, and then they don't have the budget or execution for it.

The jump from season 1 and 2 had major budget problems holding them back. That's why they were on the farm the entire season, for example. I'd like to think that AMC would capitalize on the success of TWD but it's a business, and that means we don't get what we want.

I don't think TWD will ever be as bad as Sons of Anarchy though. God drat you kurt sutter.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bonoman calls BULLSHIT on pregnant women!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

Yes. Pregnancy cravings do not hit that early on and it's clearly a shallow attempt by the "writers" (they don't *NOT* deserve quotation marks at this point) to remind us she's pregnant. Like we would forget.

I just took it that she wanted the vitamins. :shrug:

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
It might also not just be a preggo thing, but consider her emotional state leading up to that. From Glenn Dying, to having to fight to stay safe at the Hilltop, and then succeeding at driving the tractor (actually, her accomplishment had more to do with organizing and co-ordinating a group of strangers to accomplish a necessary task).

I would eat the poo poo out of some apple pie after that. gently caress you, world. Got pie.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Blazing Ownager posted:

Final Request: Herman Cain

http://i.imgur.com/xFxhMIc.gifv

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Now it needs some soap opera music

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Herman Cain got me bahaha

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

The gif is perfect now. god bless you, moist turtleneck. A true masterpiece.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This masterpiece now must truly be put on the OP when the back half of the season comes around. Five stars.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm dying

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

I'm dying

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Man, Negan has really brought my family together this holiday season. Whenever my mother or father asks me to do something, or interacts with me, we just lean back and smile.

"Well holy poo poo Mom, I've never been so embarrassed in my whole life. Blah blah blah blah."

Smile.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

some dipshit on reddit posted:

This scene isn't meant to be a feel-good cheeseball moment. This scene is a foreshadowing, as well as a reminder, of the relationship statuses between the characters. You guys have to remember that half of those people didnt see what went down with Negan. So for instance, Sasha is smiling at Rosita because she has yet to find out the poo poo storm that Rosita just escalated. This is meant to remind you of the history of certain pairs and a foreshadowing of the fact that all those relationships we just watched blossom in the past seasons are about to get tested or end, based on the fact that half those people have no idea what they just walked into. Rick and those people with Negan literally just came from whats-his-face's death. There has been no time to talk amongst themselves yet. Enid has no idea yet what Carl started earlier by being....well...himself (a douche). So she's all like "yeah baby" and he's an idiot so he's probably thinking he's still got a chance, but she'll find out and be mad but because she's a dumb girl who likes a dumb guy, she's going to bitch him out and then forgive him and they're gonna do it. end scene

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bonoman calls BULLSHIT on pregnant women!

Hey man I got a girl pregnant once. So I mean I ain't braggin' but I'd say I'm qualified to talk on it. And that "eating like a north korean refugee" schtick is old and always just terribly done.

But at least we have moist turtleneck to pull us up out of this nightmare!

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

No dude, you are bad at watching TV. That was the same plane.

My apologies. You were right, I was wrong. They are stupid at making a show.

You're still silly for thinking there is something between Rosita and Sasha.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
This show is garbage, but the craving is still there, and it turns out the vidiogame got some new material recently.

I checked it out on youtube and it's comical how much better the writing is. It isn't even super amazing or anything but they don't really gently caress it up every 5 minutes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cjg posted:

My apologies. You were right, I was wrong. They are stupid at making a show.

You're still silly for thinking there is something between Rosita and Sasha.

It's very possible I was way off base. Partially cynical about AMC and partly misread that Gabriel scene.

Every single thing about that abortive triangle..

And yeah maybe I was a little harsh, the plane thing was so incredibly stupid that it was hard to believe they could be that dumb.

Gortarius posted:

This show is garbage, but the craving is still there, and it turns out the vidiogame got some new material recently.

I checked it out on youtube and it's comical how much better the writing is. It isn't even super amazing or anything but they don't really gently caress it up every 5 minutes.

Oh, poo poo. I absolutely need to buy that on the Christmas sale. It really is immensely better, even the far shittier second season.

Though what annoyed me badly about season 2 is how 80% of the people who play it think Kenny is a complete idiot psychopath and even assist in murdering him at the end, because all the characters keep repeating that to the player, despite the fact he's shown to be right in almost every single instance and Jane was an absolute psychopath. I was bummed there was no option at the end to kill Jane directly rather than let Kenny do it.

Also the Kenny ending is so, so much loving better. If you watch that ending after playing it the other way you should feel like a tool.

ED: I remember the bitter debate in the game forum thread about what I'm talking about above, I still can't believe anyone strongly sided with the idiot who decided to fake a baby murder in the middle of a car crash, zombie filled blizzard. If anything I think the game might be an interesting study in "if characters say something enough the audience will assume it's true, even if blatantly shown it's false."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 21, 2016

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Needs governor spraying his bullpup

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's very possible I was way off base. Partially cynical about AMC and partly misread that Gabriel scene.

Every single thing about that abortive triangle..

"Way off base" about your weird interpretation of that scene is an understatement.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I know I'm a few pages late for skull-stabbin' chat, but has anyone ever failed on a headstab in this show? The only example I can remember is an episode of Fear. Our favorite goon tried to stab the undead (recently reanimated) principal and the blade glanced off and they had to resort to repeatedly clubbing him with a fire extinguisher to put him down. Some other bit of WD media had someone explaining it had to be eye socket, temple, or brainstem, otherwise the blade would skip off.

Meanwhile, in this show you have people able to gently push a knife into the skull of a freshly deceased person, easy-peasy. When Bob was put down, Tyreese didn't even have to give it a wind-up to get through the skull.

I know it's a magic zombie fantasy show, but there could be some tension/danger if every stab wasn't an auto OHK to zombie skull.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I think it was in Fear there was a scene were all the zombies were dropping from the hotel rooms onto the ground level, getting up and pursuing the cast. I was all like 'WTF the zombies are usually like loving jelly! They should look like a dropped cake after that fall!'

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Just like everything else regarding zombies in the show, it changes at will to suit the plot, whatever it may be.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I actually liked the show better when zombies were more of a threat than people.

So like everything pre-CDC I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can zombies climb stairs?