Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Hedrigall posted:

I only ask that video game developers put sufficient time and thought into how sexy they make the cats in their games. I mean why would they do such disservice to a significant proportion of the game buying market by not doing so?????

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish people would stop complaining about Nintendo removing vagina bones. Personally I trust Nintendo and believe they are saving up all the unused vagina bones for something special.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

I wish people would stop complaining about Nintendo removing vagina bones. Personally I trust Nintendo and believe they are saving up all the unused vagina bones for something special.

Undead vagina bone golem construct for Smash

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Phimosissy posted:

Undead vagina bone golem construct for Smash

i also hope bayonetta is in the next smash

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Golems aren't undead, IDIOT.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Golems aren't undead, IDIOT.

Not if you don't specify that they are, JACKASS. Look, I'm a level thirty-seven Dungeon Master and I'll apply two or more templates to the same monster if I want to.

When the DM does it, it's not illegal.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Phimosissy posted:

Not if you don't specify that they are, JACKASS. Look, I'm a level thirty-seven Dungeon Master and I'll apply two or more templates to the same monster if I want to.

When the DM does it, it's not illegal.

People need to understand that the DM determines the rules and when to break them.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'm going to lose my poo poo if people keep messing up simple FACTUAL truths about the nature of golems.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
*quickly minimizes Wikipedia: Golems tab as you walk by*

*stares awkwardly at desktop until you pass*

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Phimosissy posted:

"When the DM does it, it's not illegal."
-Frost Giant/Nixon

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thread, what are you doing?!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Being good boys and girls.

Some high brow Nintendoom in my morning news feed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/12/super-marios-sorrow/511187/

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 21, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
No Nintendoom Allowed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sharrrk posted:

its time for a new double dash, i think. it's been long enough

Given they keep adding stuff like Bikes and the transforming Karts, I really don't see why Nintendo don't just add the Double Karts as a vehicle option to make everyone happy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nintendo will be great again

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

No Nintendoom Allowed

Guys, get this. There's nostalgic appeal for Nintendo.

*writes 20,000 word article*

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Super Mario Run only made $20 million dollars so far. What an utter failure.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
This is it, right here. The most pretentious piece of journalistic garbage I've read all year. That's awful.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Being good boys and girls.

Some high brow Nintendoom in my morning news feed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/12/super-marios-sorrow/511187/

"From what is Mario running in Super Mario Run? The answer is as obvious as it is tragic: from the smartphone itself. And in this contest, any victory is pyrrhic."

nice piece of journalism

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I like the part where the article segues into a Cliff Blazynski handjob.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Nintendo: Super Mario Run has been downloaded 40 million times in 4 days and has broken numerous records and made us lots of money

Dumbass analyst: Wow what a loving failure

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I should be able to buy bubbles for .99 and people beating be in toad run should take my roads even when I am not at home, unless I buy a 24 hour toad run shield for $2.

For my actual criticism of the app, instead of three levels before you pay out of a total of 24, it should have been the first eight levels free out of a total 32. And the coin challenges should have unlocked a world instead of a single level each. And the game should have highlighted importance of those coins more so players using the free segment understood there was more depth to the game. And it shouldn't require communication to the servers to play single player. It should store your run data locally until it gets a chance to upload to the server. And the demo and paid app should have been separate apps so reviews of the main app would be quarantined people who actually bought it.

Also Toad run rocks, they could do a better job of pointing that out. It's a great game, should have had about 30% more levels though.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Nintendo: Super Mario Run has been downloaded 40 million times in 4 days and has broken numerous records and made us lots of money

Dumbass analyst: Wow what a loving failure

watch nintendo being criticized because they proposed a honest, conservative payment model instead of charging you $0.99 for every loving power-up in the era of dlcs and season passes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nintendo is doing NOTHING to innovate their brand and that's why i preordered knack 2

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I own Super Mario Run and it is great goddamn fun!
£6.99 was a good price for it, absolutely.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Sir can I borrow your iPhone, I need to call my momplay Super Mario Run.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Super Mario Run your company into the ground!!!

is what I would say if I was dumb

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

b-but clash of clans, investors said

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sir can I borrow your iPhone, I need to call my momplay Super Mario Run.

Only if you can held me get the steel looking coins on 1-1!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
how much is the mario runner game anyway

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

how much is the mario runner game anyway

Free for levels 1-1 to 1-3. £6.99 for the 1-4 boss and 5 other worlds.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

VideoGames posted:

Free for levels 1-1 to 1-3. £6.99 for the 1-4 boss and 5 other worlds.

that seems a bit steep for a short mobile game

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Stux posted:

*eats £5 sandwich*

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Jables88 posted:

*eats £5 sandwich*

ive never paid £5 for a sandwich, and the point is that other similar style mobile games are often much cheaper. i dont think thats an unfair observation to make.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

Well I wouldn't say it's short. It's got 24 levels and each level has three versions (with different placement of coins, blocks and enemies.) The idea is to get better at jumping to collect the special coins.

Each time you get all the coins you get tickets to the Toad rally where you run against other people throughout a level and have to entertain the watching toads. Whoever is the most entertaining gets the toads and it allows you to then start placing items and buildings in your mushroom kingdom. It's got a bit of animal crossing built in I'd say.

There's a lot going on in there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's not as short as it may seem. The real goal is to collect all the pink coins. Doing that in any level unlocks the purple coins. Doing THAT unlocks the black coins.

At each coin level the layout of the stage coins changes, at the black level the layout of the stage itself changes a bit. Getting all coins for all stages unlocks a special more difficult levels per type of coin.

The meat of the game is actually Toad Rush. You need Toads to build your kingdom. Playing the single player unlocks Toad Rush tickets. In toad rush you have to collect coins and style points in even further modified versions of the stages, performing against the ghost data of other players. If you win you gain some of their Toads. If you lose, you lose your Toads. You need Toads to unlock new buildings and characters which you build with coins you collect in all modes. All characters have different physics. You can play as Toad, Toadette, Peach, Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

ive never paid £5 for a sandwich

Do you just never eat out, Stux?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

VideoGames posted:

Well I wouldn't say it's short. It's got 24 levels and each level has three versions (with different placement of coins, blocks and enemies.) The idea is to get better at jumping to collect the special coins.

Each time you get all the coins you get tickets to the Toad rally where you run against other people throughout a level and have to entertain the watching toads. Whoever is the most entertaining gets the toads and it allows you to then start placing items and buildings in your mushroom kingdom. It's got a bit of animal crossing built in I'd say.

There's a lot going on in there.

ok but for a point of comparison £6.99 puts in it the same price range as a final fantasy game, or a phoenix wright title. hell for £2 more you can get 3 full GTA titles. and thats only looking at other major game companies and ignoring tons of 79p - £2 titles which offer similar levels of content. it just feels very expensive for what is on offer given the market and i dont really see the justification for it.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you just never eat out, Stux?

i eat out, i dont eat at expensive sandwich places though i guess

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VideoGames posted:

Just a little necromancy, a time honored video game tradition

VideoGames posted:

How much would you pay for DLC to add a second button though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

i eat out, i dont eat at expensive sandwich places though i guess

Must be a location thing. I can't remember the last time I spent less than 6bux on a meal. And on a date? Forget it.

• Locked thread