Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hollismason posted:

However, surprisingly all the medical stuff where their actually fixing people is kind of spot on.

Uhhhhhh this is not even remotely true though? That's the biggest suspension of disbelief imo, is literally all of their medical knowledge is just TV absurdity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Season 3 tried to do too much, too fast. Either the Polis Politics/Ice Nation stuff or the Alie plot could've sustained an entire 12-episode season on its own, but they insisted on burning though both in only 16, and pretty much everything suffered as a result.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Hollismason posted:

*crosses fingers* I hope they kill Finn. Cause you know he's a psychopath who murdered like 18 unarmed people.

edit:

YEssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

God I was so happy when this happened. I already thought it was a little too drawn out. I couldn't believe there wasn't a larger mob trying to throw him out of the gates - not because they give a poo poo about the 18 Grounders that he slaughtered but because he's the difference between them getting to stay where they are, alive with a peace treaty working towards getting the 47 out of Mt. Weather and just getting slaughtered by the Grounder army. They've probably floated people for less.

That said, I also understand he was a main character and they had to pad it out a little for dramatic effect. But I never liked him and by the time he slaughtered half of that village, I detested him and couldn't wait for him to die.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Pike stuff last season was so terrible. While I could buy that the characters would all know this guy who we haven't seen before its just bad TV to do something like that.

Although I guess in hindsight the election bit turned out to be a little prophetic.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I liked the Pike stuff. I find Pike to be a very believable character and his rise to power was shows to be entirely possible bu the 2016 elections.

What I didn't like, was Bellamy's part in all this. He had been working with grounders for a while, had befriended one and should definitely have known better. That part, was completely dumb. I originally didn't think so, but this thread has opened my eyes on that fact.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dalael posted:

I liked the Pike stuff. I find Pike to be a very believable character and his rise to power was shows to be entirely possible bu the 2016 elections.

What I didn't like, was Bellamy's part in all this. He had been working with grounders for a while, had befriended one and should definitely have known better. That part, was completely dumb. I originally didn't think so, but this thread has opened my eyes on that fact.

:agreed:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think it suits Bellamy just fine to fall in behind Pike, just that it was rushed like many aspects of season 3. Hell, even if he had simply shown a little hesitation it would have gone a long way. Really just dump the girlfriend scenes and use that screentime to establish why his trust in grounders is growing thin again, idk. At any rate he's a follower who has always had issues with grounders in general, trusting very few, so him ending up Pike's right hand man with no Clarke there to order him around works for me. It was just quick.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

esperterra posted:

I think it suits Bellamy just fine to fall in behind Pike, just that it was rushed like many aspects of season 3. Hell, even if he had simply shown a little hesitation it would have gone a long way. Really just dump the girlfriend scenes and use that screentime to establish why his trust in grounders is growing thin again, idk. At any rate he's a follower who has always had issues with grounders in general, trusting very few, so him ending up Pike's right hand man with no Clarke there to order him around works for me. It was just quick.

:agreed: There is a hell of a step between 'I don't trust these guys" and "I'm gonna murder the gently caress out of 300 of them" an they definitely did not build up to that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The motivation behind the change was supposed to be that one of the grounders he befriended manipulated that friendship and killed a bunch of people as a result, but obviously they executed that poorly.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The only bad thing about Pike is we didn't have a good "Tailie backstory where we really got to see what happened to them and how they got from Point A to Point Fascism. If the writers had done it right, we'd have believed Pike to be a hero and doing the right thing. Instead we only saw half the story.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it would've been better if they had just slowed down. Have a real war with the Ice Nation and show the people's growing frustration with Marcus's insistence that Lexa is on their side while she shuffles her feet. The destruction of Mt. Weather is the mid-season spectacle.

E: The Arkadians get control of the missiles and Pike goes "Let's bomb the Ice Nation capital!" and Marcus goes "No, deterrence only". Then it goes boom.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 21, 2016

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Hollismason posted:

Welp Season 2 is really good but now it's totally ruined my viewing because I actually have a back ground in medicine and the Fallout Vault people don't understand blood donations. The human body can donate a unit of whole blood every 8 weeks and you regenerate blood at a like 60 days. So basically they have 47 units of blood every 60 days. They could just keep Outsiders there fed and well treated around 50 of them along with the 47 kids would give you 97 units of blood 50% being SUPER BLOOD.

97 Units of Blood every 57 to 60 days is around 600 units of Blood. Unless they have thousands of people in the vault (which I don't think they do then all they have to be like is " Hey donate bloood every 8 weeks so we don't die")

It's loving bonkers.

They don't use the Grounders for blood transfusions, or at least not conventional blood transfusions. We're shown the procedure in 2x05 and it's more like using them as human dialysis machines. Running out of blood shouldn't be an issue - any blood that the Grounders end up losing should be replaced by an equal amount of MM blood. The reason why it kills them is because the procedure has harmful side effects, as shown when Jasper starts puking afterwards, and presumably if they do it too often the "donor" will die.

Which is pretty much entirely made up, but real life blood donation science is still irrelevant.

Also, we have no idea how many 'treatments" the MM actually need, or how many Grounders they can bring in each year, so we don't have any numbers to crunch anyway.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Astroman posted:

The only bad thing about Pike is we didn't have a good "Tailie backstory where we really got to see what happened to them and how they got from Point A to Point Fascism. If the writers had done it right, we'd have believed Pike to be a hero and doing the right thing. Instead we only saw half the story.

It was never the writers' intention to paint Pike as a hero. Did you forget that flashback scene where he is trying to teach a bunch of teenagers "Earth skills" and goes totally apeshit on Murphy when Murphy doesn't take him seriously? The dude is an authoritarian who manages to rise to power by fanning the flames and taking advantage of tensions between the groups.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

The whole point of that scene was that pike was intentionally trying to make the kids hate him so that they'd finally all have something in common with each other. He was hoping it would carry over to earth and they'd work together. He wasn't just beating on Murphy because he lost his temper...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The big problem with Pike is that he (and his people) came out of nowhere and their xenophobia seems completely irrational, considering the situation (they know have no chance of winning against the grounders in a war, so why provoke it?). But even worst is Bellamy 100% supporting him after a 5 minutes talk, he who above everyone should know better

INH5 posted:

They don't use the Grounders for blood transfusions, or at least not conventional blood transfusions. We're shown the procedure in 2x05 and it's more like using them as human dialysis machines. Running out of blood shouldn't be an issue - any blood that the Grounders end up losing should be replaced by an equal amount of MM blood. The reason why it kills them is because the procedure has harmful side effects, as shown when Jasper starts puking afterwards, and presumably if they do it too often the "donor" will die.

Which is pretty much entirely made up, but real life blood donation science is still irrelevant.

Also, we have no idea how many 'treatments" the MM actually need, or how many Grounders they can bring in each year, so we don't have any numbers to crunch anyway.

Speaking about the medical science behind the MM, is there any valid reason why they would need to collect the bone marrow like that, with the subject alive, awake and not sedated?

edit: also, about radiation: the MM will melt after seconds of exposition, and that after 97 years. Becca arrives at the ground right after the nuclear explosions, the sky is still dark, and she seems to be holding up alright. wtf?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 21, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: also, about radiation: the MM will melt after seconds of exposition, and that after 97 years. Becca arrives at the ground right after the nuclear explosions, the sky is still dark, and she seems to be holding up alright. wtf?

She took a bunch of Rad-X.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Elias_Maluco posted:

She genetically enhanced herself so she could host the AI. She did the same to the survivors she found, which is why the grounders are radiation resistant.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
She sure was a crafty geneticist/programmer/astronaut/engineer

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 21, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Flatscan posted:

She genetically enhanced herself so she could host the AI. She did the same to the survivors she found, which is why the grounders are radiation resistant.

If that's true than it all makes sense, Im still at ep 8

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

It was never the writers' intention to paint Pike as a hero. Did you forget that flashback scene where he is trying to teach a bunch of teenagers "Earth skills" and goes totally apeshit on Murphy when Murphy doesn't take him seriously? The dude is an authoritarian who manages to rise to power by fanning the flames and taking advantage of tensions between the groups.

TRUMP!

:v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Season 3 is real bad ya'll. Like this Pike guy what the gently caress just shoot him in the head. " Obviously we need to provoke these people who outnumber us 100 to 1 into a war.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking about the medical science behind the MM, is there any valid reason why they would need to collect the bone marrow like that, with the subject alive, awake and not sedated?

Not really. Mount Weather clearly has plenty of anaesthesia. They even use grenades that spray knockout gas everywhere as weapons. Plus they show zero hesitation in sedating Bellamy after he gets a little uppity in his Grounder cage.

You could maybe justify Harper since Cage and Tsing were trying to avoid detection by Dante and hospitals tend to keep a close eye on their anaesthetic supplies (because they're afraid that doctors might steal them for recreational and/or commercial purposes). But there's no justification for why they would keep doing it that way after Cage takes over. Especially after Raven bites a doctor's ear off, which she wouldn't have been able to do had she been sedated before they took her out of the handcuffs.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

No? Did we watch the same show?

quote:

Jaha They don't know they're going.
Kane And if you tell them-
Pike I'll be floated. I got it.
Abby Think of it this way you finally get to teach Earth Skills to kids who might actually use them.
Jaha Admittedly, this is a leap of faith, Charles. Take it with us.
Pike I can have them ready in four months, three in-
Jaha They leave in two weeks.
Pike When do I start?
[Kane opens the door and the kids enter. Jaha, Kane, and Abby leave. ]
Pike Welcome to Earth Skills.

d0grent posted:

The whole point of that scene was that pike was intentionally trying to make the kids hate him so that they'd finally all have something in common with each other. He was hoping it would carry over to earth and they'd work together. He wasn't just beating on Murphy because he lost his temper...

Yeah. He is told about the plan to send the kids to Earth and he realizes he has zero time to try and teach them to survive.

None of the kids actually know what is happening and they are just a disjointed group of disinterested teens.

So faced with a class clown that is just shrugging off the Earth Skills class because he doesn't know it's literally life or death, and he can't tell them that, Pike made the best decision to unite them against him and give them a reality check at the same time.

After that he is running the Trumpocalypse all over everyone's asses.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Has anybody watched this via the CW app? Just had a friend mention that he thinks you can either stream it live, or the day after?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Yeah. He is told about the plan to send the kids to Earth and he realizes he has zero time to try and teach them to survive.

None of the kids actually know what is happening and they are just a disjointed group of disinterested teens.

So faced with a class clown that is just shrugging off the Earth Skills class because he doesn't know it's literally life or death, and he can't tell them that, Pike made the best decision to unite them against him and give them a reality check at the same time.

After that he is running the Trumpocalypse all over everyone's asses.

This is precisely the type of "ends justify the means" mentality that authoritarians possess. Thank you for making my point for me. :)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Johnny Truant posted:

Has anybody watched this via the CW app? Just had a friend mention that he thinks you can either stream it live, or the day after?

I think that's the case, yeah. For American viewers anyway. Canada gets them night of on Netflix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, once the show actually starts airing the CW app will have it up day after, with commercials. The commercials aren't too bad but you will see pretty much the same ones every break.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Does that thing crash constantly for anyone else on Android?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

This is precisely the type of "ends justify the means" mentality that authoritarians possess. Thank you for making my point for me. :)

i've been posting with avatars and signatures off for awhile now. Just realized who you are.

Disregard my last post.

abort. abort. abort.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm guessing Kodi is still :filez: ?

Because it's got your back.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Disregard my last post.

Trust me, that won't be a problem at all.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

I'm guessing Kodi is still :filez: ?

Because it's got your back.

?? Kodi is just a media player. Is there a CW extension or something?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not exactly...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive finished the 3 season and I got a question: so the grounder commander has (and always had) A.I inside their heads, ok. But what difference does it makes?

Lexa was smart, but for her own merits, not because of that (at least that is what Titus says). She still was less smart than Clarke and did not seem to have any extra knowledge or anything like that because of the "flame". And even with the A.I, the grounders were totally helpless against the mountain men for decades before the Ark people showed up and came up with a plan to destroy them. So, what ALIE 2.0 even does?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
To me it basically seems to be a technological version of the Avatar spirit from ATLA. She can use it to confer with her past lives and gain their "Wisdom" such as it is.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive finished the 3 season and I got a question: so the grounder commander has (and always had) A.I inside their heads, ok. But what difference does it makes?

Lexa was smart, but for her own merits, not because of that (at least that is what Titus says). She still was less smart than Clarke and did not seem to have any extra knowledge or anything like that because of the "flame". And even with the A.I, the grounders were totally helpless against the mountain men for decades before the Ark people showed up and came up with a plan to destroy them. So, what ALIE 2.0 even does?

Think of Lexa being very intelligent and thoughtful. Now, think of her as intelligent and thoughtful, plus she has access to a wide body of knowledge including history, strategy, philosophy, political theory, sociology and so on.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TheCenturion posted:

Think of Lexa being very intelligent and thoughtful. Now, think of her as intelligent and thoughtful, plus she has access to a wide body of knowledge including history, strategy, philosophy, political theory, sociology and so on.

yeah, except she does not seems to have that at all? The plan against Mount Weather was Clarke, the grounders didn't even understand what the mountain men were before the ark people came

Not only Lexa only followed Clarke's plan, she also betrayed it for no good reason when they were about to storm in and win

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lexa was an idiot and we are all richer for her passing.

Pike was the only hero this series had, until Jaha found the god box.

These are facts and to disagree means you suck at watching tv.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elias_Maluco posted:

yeah, except she does not seems to have that at all? The plan against Mount Weather was Clarke, the grounders didn't even understand what the mountain men were before the ark people came

Not only Lexa only followed Clarke's plan, she also betrayed it for no good reason when they were about to storm in and win

Which makes the AI chip in her brain even dumber. Surely every other dead ghost leader in there would be telling her she is loving retarded, but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

It sounds like you weren't paying attention. Mt. Weather had a lot of Grounder prisoners, who would undoubtedly be executed in the event of invasion. Mt. Weather simply made a secret pact with Lexa and told her to back off in return for keeping those people alive. And Lexa took it because as a leader, she wanted to do what was best for her people, even if that meant betraying Clarke.

There isn't anything implausible about this. She said this herself when Clarke confronted her: that if Clarke had been given the same choice, she would have chosen her people over others too. And in fact has. Multiple times. This is why she exiled herself at the end of season 2, because she realized Lexa was right and didn't want to bear that burden anymore.

• Locked thread