Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Starhawk64 posted:

Also, renaming Link to I say makes everyone talk like Foghorn Leghorn.

Well, I know what I'm doing from now on with every game that allows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The Iron Rose posted:

everything i've heard about watchdogs 2 makes it sound like a great game, but the protagonists look so loving insufferable.

I'm not very far in, but the protagonists act like actual people. You aren't some angry rear end in a top hat whose entire family got killed. You're an actual likable guy surrounded by likable people.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Protagonist is black so he's gotta be "fuckin insufferable.", where are my WHITE MALE STOIC PROTAGONISTS AT???

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can choose? I could've sworn it was just a single option.

I had the same problem. The camera by default is usually too high to actually see the Negative and Positive options. Tilt it down and you can choose.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kontradaz posted:

Protagonist is black so he's gotta be "fuckin insufferable.", where are my WHITE MALE STOIC PROTAGONISTS AT???
I think given the first Watch_dogs tryhard bullshit a negative reaction to Watch_dogs 2 is more than justified and doesn't mean the commenter is racist.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LETs all calm down here. I think we can all agree it's always safest to assume racism is at play here.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Kruller posted:

I'm not very far in, but the protagonists act like actual people. You aren't some angry rear end in a top hat whose entire family got killed. You're an actual likable guy surrounded by likable people.

On the other hand, having a likeable, well-written protagonist does mean you don't get anything as funny as how desperate the first Watch_Dogs guy was to go balls deep in his sister

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dordreff posted:

On the other hand, having a likeable, well-written protagonist does mean you don't get anything as funny as how desperate the first Watch_Dogs guy was to go balls deep in his sister

What?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The original Watch_Dogs was very, very, very clearly written with "A husband and wife lose their daughter and are estranged while he occasionally visits to see their son" but for some unclear reason they changed the protagonist from the father to the uncle and didn't bother to adjust almost any of the other writing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The original game went through so many obvious rewrites to make the game more generically appealing that it struggles to make sense, and some older drafts are clearly visible. Most obvious is that the protagonist's sister was obviously his ex-partner before they decided that didn't work/wouldn't sell, and so little was changed that their relationship is really weird until you realize that rewrite.

EDIT: beaten. But yeah, that rewrite makes the whole game either not make much sense or seem kind of sketchy at varying points.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Really so long as the protagonist is Not Aiden Pearce, WD2 is bound to be a better game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the new protagonist doesn't have an Iconic Cap

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The original Watch_Dogs was very, very, very clearly written with "A husband and wife lose their daughter and are estranged while he occasionally visits to see their son" but for some unclear reason they changed the protagonist from the father to the uncle and didn't bother to adjust almost any of the other writing.

My theory is it clashed with the "lifelong hacker" part of his background (the poo poo you see him do ingame is his regular day job), and they couldn't have the protagonist be a bad father, so they bumped him to Uncle to make it more reasonable as to why he isnt always with them.

By just replacing every instance of the word "Father" with "Uncle".

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Doesn't he though??

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

codenameFANGIO posted:

Doesn't he though??

I had Marcus wear a WWII bucket helmet with motorcycle goggles throughout my playthrough, does that count?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Kontradaz posted:

Ubisoft knew how to make a black protagonist relatable to gamers.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like the dedsec bandana. says a lot about his character with one piece of clothing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Ubisoft knew how to make a black protagonist relatable to gamers.

And then ruin it completely by having them party and have fun right after! Ye gads. Thank goodness their base is a dank basement under a games shop or I would have caught the vapors and have to have been resuscitated via a dew injection.

My current fav about the game is how the side stuff is integrated: you're finding instagram spots and ubering people around. Pretty neat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My theory is it clashed with the "lifelong hacker" part of his background (the poo poo you see him do ingame is his regular day job), and they couldn't have the protagonist be a bad father, so they bumped him to Uncle to make it more reasonable as to why he isnt always with them.

By just replacing every instance of the word "Father" with "Uncle".

Yeah, it's because being an absent father made people dislike him even more.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I full agree they look like they would be, but they're actually anything but. The mid-mission chat during stretches like long drives is generally just them shooting the poo poo about their favourite movies. Stuff like who'd win; Alien or Predator?

Anytime they're doing a job, they're all business.

Its more the "yay anonymous and anarchism and millennial memes" thing really. So somehow that's not reassuring :v:

Basically my impression is that it feels like DnD wrote the game.

That's aight though. Just means it won't be the game for me!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Something so minor I don't know why they bothered from Smash 4: after DLC, the game has two characters named Roy. There's Roy the Koopaling, who's a costume for Bowser Jr with an alternate name, and Roy from Fire Emblem (and Melee), added in DLC. There's really no way you could confuse them, it's just two dudes both named Roy.

Yet the announcer has different voice clips for their names, with the Koopaling's being a little higher and the FE character's going lower.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Its more the "yay anonymous and anarchism and millennial memes" thing really. So somehow that's not reassuring :v:

It's time to get on that iceberg, grandpa.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

My current fav about the game is how the side stuff is integrated: you're finding instagram spots and ubering people around. Pretty neat.

The Uber app is called Driver: San Francisco.

It warmed my cockles to see a reference to one of the best Ubisoft games from the last decade. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jetamo posted:

The Uber app is called Driver: San Francisco.

It warmed my cockles to see a reference to one of the best Ubisoft games from the last decade. :allears:

One of those is driving an engineer around, looking for his robot prototype. Named Johnny 5. And shooting the poo poo with him about Short Circuit while you do :allears:.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of those is driving an engineer around, looking for his robot prototype. Named Johnny 5. And shooting the poo poo with him about Short Circuit while you do :allears:.

Another guy calls an Uber to get the driver high, since it's Friday.

WD2 could have a bunch of insufferable assholes as its protagonists, but it went and had a group of likeable dudes who actually seem like real human beings. I've been having a lot of fun with it and I didn't really like the first. It's the rare game where I go nonlethal because it fits with the characters instead of the rewards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

WD2 could have a bunch of insufferable assholes as its protagonists, but it went and had a group of likeable dudes who actually seem like real human beings. I've been having a lot of fun with it and I didn't really like the first. It's the rare game where I go nonlethal because it fits with the characters instead of the rewards.

One of my favourite bits in WD2 is a short stretch of a mission maneuvering a stolen robot through a factory towards the company's servers so you can EMP them at the expense of poor Wrench Junior. It could've been just a basic set of puzzles and gone by unremarked, except the Taunt button (usually used by the Jumper to attract guards/gang members) quotes B-Grade horror movies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Don't worry, eventually, we'll get a horde FPS game like Serious Sam but all the enemies are millennials.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Don't worry, eventually, we'll get a horde FPS game like Serious Sam but all the enemies are millennials.

This is actually the new Infinite Warfare DLC, Rave in the Redwoods

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Isn't this just joining the riot police?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

WD2 could have a bunch of insufferable assholes as its protagonists, but it went and had a group of likeable dudes who actually seem like real human beings.
They are much, much better than Aiden and his family were, but to me they really seem more like the cast of a version of the Breakfast Club from an alternate reality where John Hughes was way into 4chan than real human beings.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Marvel's Contest of Champions on mobile has am auto fight feature once you hit a certain level. Now i can sit back and let the ai use my punchmans and punchwomans to fight itself.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

graybook posted:

Marvel's Contest of Champions on mobile has am auto fight feature once you hit a certain level. Now i can sit back and let the ai use my punchmans and punchwomans to fight itself.

The beginning of the end

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
It's not exactly the best, though, so I only use it on easy fights.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Doesn't matter, dude. You've set it on its path. This Disney/Marvel version of Skynet has taken its first steps on a road that will inevitably end in the complete eradication of humanity. Thor-like Terminators and inhuman Spiderman-ish drones will render your nerd body down into blood-slick mud and ashes and the only joy left in the world will be the satisfaction of a coldly perfect machine-intelligence as it gazes upon a ruined world, its work complete. And it's all your fault, and yours alone.
Weep for us. Shed your tears for the hordes of unburied dead. Cry out to the heavens in despair. Scream for the multitudes you have doomed. Weep for yourself

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Dragonball Xenoverse 2 includes the single greatest addition to the franchise that has ever existed: Female Voice Option 11. All the traditional Dragon Ball screams and grunts, delivered in the manner of a 15-year-old being forced into it a family fun day by her dad. Just the dullest, most sarcastic kamehameha ever. It's amazing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So in the Division's Survival DLC, a new enemy faction has been added simply known as the "Hunters". Unlike other enemy factions they operate by themselves and are more a loose coalition rather than a team - even if multiple Hunters attack a group of players, they stick together but lack the usual team AI other groups have. In the fiction they're individuals who have killed, and continue to hunt, members of the titular Division and their equipment reflects that - clothing and gear is clearly poo poo that players can have, but it's been cobbled together, repaired and repurposed so they have a janky yet entirely threatening look about them. They don't even have combat barks, instead only having bursts of radio static.

Hunters don't physically exist in the world until you call for a helicopter extraction at the end of the DLC, at which point they attack with equipment and abilities designed to disable your Agent's "ISAC" system (the handwave for why you can throw out turrets and so on). This has the side effect of completely loving your UI; it spazzes out, doesn't track objectives, messes with your health/ammo indicators and so on. However, the game does a neat job of making you think you're being hunted beforehand - as you explore and rummage around pre-extraction, ISAC will occasionally glitch out in the exact same way, or you'll get a sudden burst of static that dies as quickly as it comes along. It's very easy to miss due to the DLC taking place during a massive storm - hey it's just storm damage - but then the final encounter happens and then surprise! It's some rear end in a top hat deliberately loving with your equipment.

I dunno, this is such a stupid thing but one of the game's strongest points is its atmosphere. They've put a lot of small, neat details like that which serve absolutely no gameplay function. Every time it happens to me I cross my fingers and wait to get attacked out of the blue, but it never happens.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R

going through it again, I'm enjoying the setpiece encounters and how the level design works to either play up on the game's strengths or minimizes the appearance of its weaknesses.

I really enjoy the shooting; it feels like the only shooter where firing modes and effective ranges actually affect the combat. thing is, the ai even on master difficulty ain't that sharp so bandits and military will at best run behind cover and waddle into your sight line to fire at you in bursts. and the mutant fights are even less nuanced since their only way to deal damage is usually through melee attacks, so you'll usually be either circle strafing mutants while running backwards or firing guns at point blank range.

so here's what I mean when I talk about the level design working with the limits of the ai:

there's a mutant that's a full on meatshield who waddles really fast and deals aoe damage with its stomp attack. having to fight it up close would be a loving nightmare. but the arena has a large pipe hanging overhead with a broken portion touching the ground. so you can climb up there and rain fire on it and suffer minimal damage from the stomps.

later in the game you're escaping an underground lab and the sewers are full of jumping mutants and that same stompy fucker. you should be well stocked with weapons to take out either a small army or a group of mutants by then but seeing one of those guys again can catch you off guard. the sewers have a section that loops around so you can lead into one path and then juke around it if you don't have the firepower to deal with it.

early in the game there's a research center that's infested with mercenaries. the exit from one of the underground tunnels leads into the center of the base and you run the risk of getting swamped by mercs. luckily there are bungalows nearby where you can run in and use them as chokepoints against the mercs.

tldr: STALKER level design good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hardly little, very generic, but this seems like the best place to put it.

I had a bit of an epiphany today as I was installing a random game. While it had a bit of a hiccup (translation: I temporarily wasn't patient enough to wait for a stalled progress bar to catch up), I realized that holy poo poo the age of difficulty with setting up games is basically past.

Oh sure, there's random crashes and poo poo, but by and large games come out actually working. No setting poo poo up (IRQ 5, DMA 3), no being utterly screwed if something doesn't work (no internet to suss out your edge case that a hundred other people have). poo poo, by and large, works.

We're living in the future.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MisterBibs posted:

Hardly little, very generic, but this seems like the best place to put it.

I had a bit of an epiphany today as I was installing a random game. While it had a bit of a hiccup (translation: I temporarily wasn't patient enough to wait for a stalled progress bar to catch up), I realized that holy poo poo the age of difficulty with setting up games is basically past.

Oh sure, there's random crashes and poo poo, but by and large games come out actually working. No setting poo poo up (IRQ 5, DMA 3), no being utterly screwed if something doesn't work (no internet to suss out your edge case that a hundred other people have). poo poo, by and large, works.

We're living in the future.

Welcome to where console gamers have been since what...the 80's? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Len posted:

Welcome to where console gamers have been since what...the 80's? :smug:

Also what PC games have been like since 2000.