Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Did you run a virus scan? I mean, for your infection?

You mean before or after the reinstall? Before, the goddamn thing kept coming back every restart and would dig into my registry. After, my virus scan hasn't picked it up and I don't see it in my registry anymore.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's certainly odd. Virus scanners use some really low-level hooks and should be way higher privileged than anything that calls itself a virus these days.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's certainly odd. Virus scanners use some really low-level hooks and should be way higher privileged than anything that calls itself a virus these days.

Oh it gets better. Between webroot, malwarebytes, rkill, and tdskiller only MalwareBytes was able to pick it up. Also did the Windows 10 Resets, both with and without keeping files, and the fucker still came back. My files were already backed up, so I did the clean reinstall and it seemed to have worked.

But now Windows doesn't seem to want to update beyond KB3199986. I just tried the Windows Update troubleshooter but it didn't find anything.

I'm getting the feeling I may have to do another Reset, as the updates were at least working then, but I hate to do it after just getting everything back up...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Roman Reigns posted:

You mean before or after the reinstall? Before, the goddamn thing kept coming back every restart and would dig into my registry. After, my virus scan hasn't picked it up and I don't see it in my registry anymore.

That's because AV is dumpster fire garbage and does more harm than good.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those low level hooks end up being a huge security risk and are exploited all the time.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

That's because AV is dumpster fire garbage and does more harm than good.

Yeah I'm ending my subscription after this. I always back up my files anyway, and this is the first incident I've had in over a year so gently caress it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Don't pay for av.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Those low level hooks end up being a huge security risk and are exploited all the time.
All the time? More like rarely. Wouldn't you agree that there's a huge drop in quality in viruses over the decades? What coders spit out back in the DOS days compared what's usually going around as virus these days is like comparing some 64KB demo and Snakes written in Visual Basic.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I don't recall anyone in the 80s using viruses to slow down uranium enrichment in Iran but maybe that's just me?

Edit: the 80s/90s viruses only looked sophisticated because we had little to measure it by. Frankly I'll take a TSR virus that shuffles the characters on the display and maybe wipes the MBR over Conficker/Stuxnet/any of the myriad botnet viruses/Cryptolocker, etc. any day.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 17, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's a targeted solution that likely also involved social engineering type of antics to get installed in that place.

Sheep posted:

Edit: the 80s/90s viruses only looked sophisticated because we had little to measure it by. Frankly I'll take a TSR virus that shuffles the characters on the display and maybe wipes the MBR over Conficker/Stuxnet/any of the myriad botnet viruses/Cryptolocker, etc. any day.
My point about this all was that there wasn't much memory, neither a plethora of polyvalent APIs to program against. People had to be ingenious those days. Those you directly named are pretty much the exceptional ones out of a sea of crap. The botnet viruses can be excluded, because they're not that sophisticated, and their propagation relies on spam mail networks, too. Same could be argued for Cryptolocker, it's just got its reputation due to being a big pain in the rear end.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 17, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

What "virus from the DOS days" were you impressed by?
They all assumed they were executed with admin rights, pretty much, and many did nothing at all harmful.

In 2016 we have malware shutting down hospital networks and reprogramming routers and webcams to knock out a sizeable part of the internet via DDoS.
Some rose-tinted poo poo here for being nostalgic about something that played loud sounds and achieved nothing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Regardless of payload, I kinda consider the old viruses to be more skillful. You had just a couple of hundred bytes to a very few kilobytes to implement a payload (whatever you may think about it), polymorphism (self-modification) to evade detection and a means to mess with the format of executables to latch to them unnoticed for transmission. If that's not impressive considering the lack of constraints there are these days (hardware and available APIs), then I don't know.

As far as names, I mean, gee, it's kind of a long while ago. It's been 20 years I'm running the NT line of operating systems.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Khablam posted:

In 2016 ... reprogramming routers and webcams to knock out a sizeable part of the internet via DDoS.

The only impressive thing about that is how impressively awful security is on those type of devices - all that botnet is doing is using hardcoded admin credentials that are common across a whole load of lovely devices

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's apples and oranges. Old viruses had less to work with but they were also breaking into simpler systems with less security.

Inarguably you had to have technically sophisticated code to accomplish anything with the thin margin of resources you could steal, but your targets were rarely networked so there wasn't a lot to actually do other than bust things. Compared to modern viruses which can take advantage of so many resources that the whole point of most of them is to outright steal them invisibly from you, but need to be socially sophisticated to get through to their targets.

Old viruses might be small and clever, but they're not using png transparencies to assemble malware on the local system clever.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regardless of payload, I kinda consider the old viruses to be more skillful. You had just a couple of hundred bytes to a very few kilobytes to implement a payload (whatever you may think about it), polymorphism (self-modification) to evade detection and a means to mess with the format of executables to latch to them unnoticed for transmission. If that's not impressive considering the lack of constraints there are these days (hardware and available APIs), then I don't know.

As far as names, I mean, gee, it's kind of a long while ago. It's been 20 years I'm running the NT line of operating systems.

It's not really impressive. The size was small because they were probably in assembly or similar. The security they had to defeat to do their work was almost completely non-existent. This is before any form of exploit mitigation was even in-place, and even before you needed exploits to do what you wanted to do.

You talk about APIs making it easier but consider that in a lot of modern software API calls are the majority of/entire attack surface. Corrupting these to do what you want to do takes more ingenuity than attacking running memory in an area before any protections were in place to prevent that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Khablam posted:

It's not really impressive. The size was small because they were probably in assembly or similar. The security they had to defeat to do their work was almost completely non-existent. This is before any form of exploit mitigation was even in-place, and even before you needed exploits to do what you wanted to do.

Not to mention, most all programs were small then, so why wouldn't the viruses be as well? You could get a full featured word processor on a 360 KB disk with enough free space for a document or two.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Low level tricks are neat, maybe that's what they like about old viruses

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Does anyone know how many digital entitlements for Win10 you can have associated with your account? I've converted 2 Win7 systems over to Win10 licenses and converted one of them to a digital entitlement on my microsoft account, but I don't want to log into my other system with my microsoft id if it doesn't track multiple entitlements per account

edit - Talked to Microsoft support and they are still working on the digital license stuff and to just activate with my Windows 7 key if I change my hardware and have issues

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 19, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WhyteRyce posted:

Does anyone know how many digital entitlements for Win10 you can have associated with your account? I've converted 2 Win7 systems over to Win10 licenses and converted one of them to a digital entitlement on my microsoft account, but I don't want to log into my other system with my microsoft id if it doesn't track multiple entitlements per account

edit - Talked to Microsoft support and they are still working on the digital license stuff and to just activate with my Windows 7 key if I change my hardware and have issues

I have two different systems that were 7 to 10 free upgrades, and both are digital entitlement and signed into a microsoft account.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
How do you tell how many separate entitlements are connected to the account? I logged in on account.microsoft.com and I see six machines that I know have licenses but 2 have blank serials there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If you skip signing in with a Microsoft account the device hash gets stored in the general pool and you can reinstall Windows 10 to it at leisure.

Windows 10 will associate apps to 10 :v: devices with the same Microsoft account so that might be the device cap, but I dunno man I'm not going to spin up a bunch of VMs and a fake account to test this poo poo

Also the device serial numbers on your account devices page is pulled from firmware and a lot of homebuilt PCs don't have a number there.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What the hell is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry, why is it making my disk grind and spin and act like crazy, and how do I make it stop?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Windows 10, Chrome, and Photoshop/Video Games keep reporting being out of memory on my machine, but Task Manager reports 11.5GB/16GB used and only 16.7GB/30.9GB committed. Programs are crashing. Any idea what's up?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

For some reason I can't sort any files in any folders on my second hard drive by date modified, size, type, etc. It just does this long load bar across the file location at the top then craps out. I don't have this issue on my SSD though. Ideas?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Windows 10, Chrome, and Photoshop/Video Games keep reporting being out of memory on my machine, but Task Manager reports 11.5GB/16GB used and only 16.7GB/30.9GB committed. Programs are crashing. Any idea what's up?

What's your virtual memory/swap settings? How much free disk space?
How many of those programs are 64 bit?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nielsm posted:

What's your virtual memory/swap settings? How much free disk space?
How many of those programs are 64 bit?

Game(s) are probably 64b, as is Photoshop. Chrome is whatever. Most of my other stuff are just small utilities. Putty, WinSCP, Afterburner, HwInfo. And I suppose discord, slack, and skype.

Drives C, D, and E are all SSDs. 850 Evo, 840 Evo, and a Sandisk Ultra (iirc), in that order.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay yeah that all looks reasonable. I'm not sure what else to do, apart from grabbing a debugger and look for memory allocations failing and trace the cause from that. Not something I'd want to do.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've had a similar problem once or twice having Firefox and Warframe open. I've got 8gb, but Task Manager said of about three quarters of that was in use when I got the "memory hog" popup.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm sure you had your reasons when you unchecked that box top left, but considering the problems you're having, I'd try going back on that. Not saying things are working as they should with the settings you have there.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Windows likes to stick page files on spinning rust when I let it run wild

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

All of those use VRAM heavily, not just system RAM. I suspect you're failing graphics buffer allocation and not system memory. What graphics card are you using?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

stedd posted:

All of those use VRAM heavily, not just system RAM. I suspect you're failing graphics buffer allocation and not system memory. What graphics card are you using?

GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5X VRAM

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5X VRAM

Hmm, doesn't sound suspicious then but would be good to double check. Use cpuz or MSI afterburner or whatever to look at VRAM usage. Also, take a look through the system event log (application and system channels) and see if any errors pop out.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It would be more of a troubleshooting step.

The other oddity is that none of it is on the c drive. I'd say I read something about that messing things up, but I can't tell if I'm making that up. But a thing you could try without involving spinning rust anyway.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

stedd posted:

Hmm, doesn't sound suspicious then but would be good to double check. Use cpuz or MSI afterburner or whatever to look at VRAM usage. Also, take a look through the system event log (application and system channels) and see if any errors pop out.

Is there a way to output this to a log? I'll run the programs and see what happens.

Flipperwaldt posted:

It would be more of a troubleshooting step.

The other oddity is that none of it is on the c drive. I'd say I read something about that messing things up, but I can't tell if I'm making that up. But a thing you could try without involving spinning rust anyway.

I remember not having a page file entirely does dumb poo poo. I'll try those steps though.

e: to specify the error, Windows begins spawning pop-ups saying I need to close programs to free memory, then programs crash if I don't close the game or Chrome or Photoshop, etc.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 20, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It looks like your operating system is on spinning rust.

Why is your operating system on spinning rust?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

dont be mean to me posted:

It looks like your operating system is on spinning rust.

Why is your operating system on spinning rust?

Drives C, D, and E are all SSDs. 850 Evo, 840 Evo, and a Sandisk Ultra (iirc), in that order.

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

Is there a way to output this to a log? I'll run the programs and see what happens.

There's probably a ETW provider somewhere that outputs this, but I'm not aware of one off the top of my head. The easiest thing will be to just keep CPUz open and see what it says when the error shows up.

I remember not having a page file entirely does dumb poo poo. I'll try those steps though.

Not having any page file reduces what the memory manager can page out, in that it prevents MM from paging out private pages. File back pages can still be paged (think DLL pages), so all you're really doing is reducing the number of options that MM has. In many cases it better to page out private pages instead of file backed pages, so turning off the page file can harm performance.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Here's a thought - do you have RAPID enabled on the boot drive?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have rapid enabled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
When programs start complaining about memory open resource monitor -> memory tab and sort by commit and see which program is eating all the memory. It's probably Chrome.