Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

loquacius posted:

why are you guys acting like I got mad, I literally just said "is this a joke because it seems like a joke but it's also Twitter" :confused:

I was doing the Reddit Futurama Fry "not sure if" meme face

twitter is always a joke

ed: balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Serf posted:

I have to believe this is a joke if only because she says she's a comedian.

if it is a joke, congrats on like 3 people understanding the reference

The only thing I can even imagine it being a reference to is Kirsten Dunst

Al! posted:

boy i wonder why people charge the left with both sexism and a lack of a sense of humor

You're also on the left. :v:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

NumberLast posted:

You're also on the left. :v:

actually, im a liberal

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Al! posted:

actually, im a liberal

Oh...But you seem to be anti free market.

Sorry for assuming.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

NumberLast posted:

its a joke about the movie marie antoinette yes

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

OhFunny posted:

Googling Bob Mulholland and looking under the News section sure is fun.

What in the ever loving gently caress is wrong with Clinton Supporters.

These people need to pack up and leave. Obama, Pérez, Clinton, all need to just gtfo and let the big boys start handling poo poo.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

bump_fn posted:

its a joke about the movie marie antoinette yes

Still don't get the joke tbh.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

NumberLast posted:

Still don't get the joke tbh.

"capitalism"

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

bump_fn posted:

"capitalism"

The point of the is tweet that "Capitalism" is a joke?

Uh...

Great

e: I'm not trying to run this into the ground, I really am just trying to understand this joke.

"My feminism is 100% capitalist, because Marie Antoinette got to wear jewels AND Converse sneakers, all thanks to the free market."

What does Marie Antoinette have to do with the free market? And what does a movie in which the actress playing her wears Converse have to do with capitalism?

Serf
May 5, 2011

it's too bad that it's called the "free market"

sounds good but fails to convey how bad it is

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
democrats: lets explain jokes

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

NumberLast posted:

Oh...But you seem to be anti free market.

Sorry for assuming.

he said that so you would say that

who cares

do i need a bracelet id to identify my political spectrum?

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

he said that so you would say that

who cares

do i need a bracelet id to identify my political spectrum?

Jokes I don't get all over the gaffe.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

NumberLast posted:

The point of the is tweet that "Capitalism" is a joke?

Uh...

Great

e: I'm not trying to run this into the ground, I really am just trying to understand this joke.

"My feminism is 100% capitalist, because Marie Antoinette got to wear jewels AND Converse sneakers, all thanks to the free market."

What does Marie Antoinette have to do with the free market? And what does a movie in which the actress playing her wears Converse have to do with capitalism?

Maybe something about how liberals would look at Antoinette as an inspiration for "leaning in" and being a wealthy woman but Antoinette was actually a symbol of the out of touch rich, much like liberal ideas of white feminism. I'm just guessing here.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Maybe something about how liberals would look at Antoinette as an inspiration for "leaning in" and being a wealthy woman but Antoinette was actually a symbol of the out of touch rich, much like liberal ideas of white feminism. I'm just guessing here.

Uh huh, uh huh

How amusing

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
the left's job is to recuperate liberatory movements, trapping escapes from domination with state control and pacification, forging a peace treaty between the haves and have nots to keep capital in power.

so the left is always under more scrutiny than the right because it must prove its loyalty to power. the right never has to prove loyalty to power, because that's its reason to exist. the right can be as obviously morally hosed up as it wants, but the left always has the chance of giving too much justice to the proles, and needs to be kept in check with constant critical surveillance.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

the left's job is to recuperate liberatory movements, trapping escapes from domination with state control and pacification, forging a peace treaty between the haves and have nots to keep capital in power.

so the left is always under more scrutiny than the right because it must prove its loyalty to power. the right never has to prove loyalty to power, because that's its reason to exist. the right can be as obviously morally hosed up as it wants, but the left always has the chance of giving too much justice to the proles, and needs to be kept in check with constant critical surveillance.

sir please pull around and pick up your big mac

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember the discussion of "white feminism" or "corporate feminism" or "color-blind feminism" or "bourgeois feminism" or whatever term you want to use, from yesterday

The joke is that.

What I was wary of is that there are plenty of people who unironically hold those views (and any others you can think of) on Twitter

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

No we're dissecting jokes now

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

lol that post is a movement alright

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Right, we wouldn't want a repeat of the French Revolution or anything :rolleye:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

NumberLast posted:

Jokes I don't get all over the gaffe.

there is no gaffe

just...post~

"im a liberal"

"oh im sorry (for your loss)"

lmbo like really

also thats exactly what ive been saying about "white feminism"

its capitalism shilling feminism as a idea for bored suburban women with frustrated ambitions to feel better about themselves without actually doing anything about it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

also thats exactly what ive been saying about "white feminism"

its capitalism shilling feminism as a idea for bored suburban women with frustrated ambitions to feel better about themselves without actually doing anything about it

This is basically what I think about it, yeah

It also allowed HRC supporters to claim to be more progressive than Sanders ones, and allows educated upper-class white women to pretend that going into corporate management or high finance is a subversive decision on their part

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
i believe coppola's marie antoinette is a masterpiece

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Guys, I gotta say- you were right about DnD. I'm sorry I ever doubted you :negative:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

This is basically what I think about it, yeah

It also allowed HRC supporters to claim to be more progressive than Sanders ones, and allows educated upper-class white women to pretend that going into corporate management or high finance is a subversive decision on their part

god, can you imagine having your head up your own rear end about your own rear end about your ideology like that

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Al! posted:

god, can you imagine having your head up your own rear end about your own rear end about your ideology like that

it's incontheivable!

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Guys, I gotta say- you were right about DnD. I'm sorry I ever doubted you :negative:

We need to run a center-right candidate in 2020 to take down Donald Trump, idiot.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Boston/MA goons, I think I'm gonna try to organize a political meetup for us next month since there's like... 30 of us or some poo poo.

Would anyone actually be interested in getting together for a few drinks and making fun of Clinton/grousing about stupid local dems?

only if you promise not to chop off my head and offer it up as a blood sacrifice to the dread god Bur'naiy Syand'urzz

Rand alPaul posted:

The fact that the mainstream Democratic voices in the press right now are not all championing removing the Electoral College shows just how loving stupid the party is. Like it should be the rallying cry and focus to win back statehouses and yadda yadda instead they're going to fixate on Comey.

lol

"yeah, I know the state-sanctioned murder of black people will continue unabated for the next few years, the incoming president will ramp up deportations of immigrants and enact official federal discrimination against Muslims, we're probably going to have a second Great Recession starting exactly one month after Trump's second term begins, the EPA is going to be essentially dismantled, the new labor secretary is a fast food CEO, and (needless to say) economic inequality will continue to grow, but you know what the really important thing is that we should focus our messaging on? the electoral college and how it unfairly stole away Her Turn! surely that is the thing that will motivate people to come out and vote!"

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

freckle posted:

We need to run a center-right candidate in 2020 to take down Donald Trump, idiot.

but they can't have unpaid parking tickets

or have talked to people who aren't republicans

we just need to run republicans

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lastgirl posted:

I remember the conversation from yesterday where feminists in the 70s decided against providing support for parents who wanted to take care of their children because childcare isn't "real" work and giving women who do it any kind of financial independence from their husbands (or any financial independence at all if they don't have one for whatever reason) might disincline them to enter the capitalist ratrace, which is the most important feature of feminism to which all others must bow.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

some things I just have to see for your self. now give 3 full communism nows to make sure you didn't bring anything back with you

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

I remember the conversation from yesterday where feminists in the 70s decided against providing support for parents who wanted to take care of their children because childcare isn't "real" work and giving women who do it any kind of financial independence from their husbands (or any financial independence at all if they don't have one for whatever reason) might disincline them to enter the capitalist ratrace, which is the most important feature of feminism to which all others must bow.

uh huh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

heres my list of class enemies so far

1. liberals
2. feminists
3. the rich
4. "Costals" ;)

but im starting to think feminists should be number 1?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

GlyphGryph posted:

Boston/MA goons, I think I'm gonna try to organize a political meetup for us next month since there's like... 30 of us or some poo poo.

Would anyone actually be interested in getting together for a few drinks and making fun of Clinton/grousing about stupid local dems?

thanks but no thanks

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

"yeah, I know the state-sanctioned murder of black people will continue unabated for the next few years, the incoming president will ramp up deportations of immigrants and enact official federal discrimination against Muslims, we're probably going to have a second Great Recession starting exactly one month after Trump's second term begins, the EPA is going to be essentially dismantled, the new labor secretary is a fast food CEO, and (needless to say) economic inequality will continue to grow, but you know what the really important thing is that we should focus our messaging on? the electoral college and how it unfairly stole away Her Turn! surely that is the thing that will motivate people to come out and vote!"

yah the dems never cared about anything like that. they're some of the strongest supporters behind all the bad stuff trump's going to ramp up. they pay lip service sometimes, but really they're just a weaker version of the same thing.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

yet another "lmao clinton campaign" article

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/21/14030754/hillary-clinton-michigan-loss-trump-republican-gary-peters

quote:

Yochi Dreazen

There have been news reports that Clinton never visited a UAW union hall, which seems like a misstep given how vital union voters are in Michigan. Is that right?

Gary Peters

As far as I know, she didn’t stop at any UAW halls. I probably would have been invited to be with her if she was going to one, and I never got that invitation. She didn't do any labor-specific events that I'm aware of. It's pretty rare that you aren't working closely with labor in a campaign, especially for statewide office. I'm sitting right here now, talking to you in the parking lot of the sheet metal workers before their holiday party. I'm going to be with my friends, with the sheet metal workers, to convey that they are important to me by showing up at their events. Labor simply cannot be taken for granted in Michigan. Not doing that sort of event certainly was a major oversight.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Here's my list of class enemies

Donny he picks on me in math
Derrick he made fun of my short story in English

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Al! posted:

heres my list of class enemies so far

1. liberals
2. feminists
3. the rich
4. "Costals" ;)

but im starting to think feminists should be number 1?

you know sometimes those rich people do us favors like donating to charities that benefit everyone, like the susan komen foundation

sometimes they create us jobs too

maybe we should just take them off the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mariana Horchata posted:

thanks but no thanks

Why do people keep posting gifs of this girl? Who the gently caress is she?

• Locked thread