Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I love that Andy Benes is possibly the next Rick Reuschel in terms of "inexplicable aces."

(Though Reuschel was REALLY good IRL and Benes was just slightly above average for a long time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FairGame posted:

I love that Andy Benes is possibly the next Rick Reuschel in terms of "inexplicable aces."

(Though Reuschel was REALLY good IRL and Benes was just slightly above average for a long time)

So you're saying I should put my 34 year old Andy Benes on my roster?

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

TMMadman posted:

So you're saying I should put my 34 year old Andy Benes on my roster?

I suspect Benes being good for feast mode last year was a product of his accidental gimmick stadium combined with Speaker being a phenomenal defender

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Hometown: Burlington, VT
Stadium: Centennial Field (dimensions appear to be 330-405-323)

Batting:
code:
Pos.	Player			Source			ID
C	Bill Dickey '32		Feeder			dickebi01
1B	Lou Gehrig '32		Feeder			gehrilo01
2B	Jackie Robinson '51	Feeder			robinja02
SS	Derek Jeter '02		Dispersal Draft XX	jeterde01
3B	Joe Sewell '32		Feeder			seweljo01
LF	Goose Goslin '29	Dispersal Draft XIX 	gosligo01
CF	Earle Combs '32		Feeder			combsea01
RF	Duke Snider '51		Feeder			snidedu01
DH	Babe Ruth '32		Feeder			ruthba01

Bench
C	Roy Campanella '51	Feeder			camparo01
SS	Pee Wee Reese '51	Feeder			reesepe01
OF	Johnny Frederick '30	Feeder			fredejo01
1B/RF	Babe Herman '30		Feeder			hermaba01
IF	Tony Lazzeri '32	Feeder			lazzeto01

Minors
C	Welington Castillo '16	Feeder			castiwe01
1B	Paul Goldschmidt '16	Feeder			goldspa01
OF	Ben Chapman '32		Feeder			chapmbe01
Pitching:
code:
	Player			Source			ID
SP1	Bob Gibson '63		Super Draft XX		gibsobo01
SP2	Gaylord Perry '71	Dispersal Draft XIX	perryga01
SP3	Don Newcombe '51	Feeder			newcodo01
SP4	Watty Clark '30		Feeder			clarkwa02
SP5	Kevin Brown '92		Dispersal Draft XIX	brownke01

Bullpen
CL	Brad Ziegler '16	Feeder			zieglbr01
SU	Daniel Hudson '16	Feeder			hudsoda01
SR	Kelvin Herrera '15	Super Draft XX		herreke01
SR	A.J. Ramos '15		Dispersal Draft XIX	ramosaj01
MR	Red Ruffing '32		Feeder			ruffire01
LR	Zack Greinke '16	Feeder			greinza01

Minors
P	Dazzy Vance '30		Feeder			vanceda01
SP	Lefty Gomez '32		Feeder			gomezle01
SP	Josh Collmenter '16	Feeder			collmjo01
RP	Tyler Clippard '16	Feeder			clippty01
Lineup:
code:
with DH
1	Jackie Robinson	2B
2	Goose Goslin	LF
3	Lou Gehrig	1B
4	Babe Ruth	DH
5	Duke Snider	RF
6	Earle Combs	CF
7	Bill Dickey	C (Roy Campanella is the personal catcher for Don Newcombe)
8	Derek Jeter	SS
9	Joe Sewell	3B

without DH
1	Jackie Robinson	2B
2	Goose Goslin	LF
3	Lou Gehrig	1B
4	Babe Ruth	RF
5	Duke Snider	CF
6	Bill Dickey	C (Roy Campanella is the personal catcher for Don Newcombe)
7	Derek Jeter	SS
8	Joe Sewell	3B
9	[pitcher]
Strategy:
code:
Hit and Run					+2
Sacrifice Bunt					0
Squeeze Play					0
Trying for Extra Bases				+1
Stealing Bases					-2
Aggressively Tagging Up				+1
Pitch Outs					-2
Giving Intentional Walks			0
Pitching Around Good Hitters			-2
Bringing the Infield In				+2
Guarding the Lines				+1
Making Cutoff Throws				+2
Bringing in Pinch Hitters			-1
Bringing in Pinch Runners			+1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest			-3
Letting Pitchers Pitch Through Trouble		-2
Letting Pitchers Rack Up High Pitch Counts	-2
Defensive Replacements				+1
CSV:
code:
#BATTERS
dickebi01,1932,,,,Bill,Dickey
gehrilo01,1932,,,,Lou,Gehrig
robinja02,1951,,,,Jackie,Robinson
jeterde01,2002,,,,Derek,Jeter
seweljo01,1932,,,,Joe,Sewell
chapmbe01,1932,,,,Ben,Chapman
snidedu01,1951,,,,Duke,Snider
ruthba01,1932,,,,Babe,Ruth
hermaba01,1930,,,,Babe,Herman
camparo01,1951,,,,Roy,Campanella
reesepe01,1951,,,,Pee Wee,Reese
fredejo01,1930,,,,Johnny,Frederick
combsea01,1932,,,,Earle,Combs
lazzeto01,1932,,,,Tony,Lazzeri
castiwe01,2016,,,,Welington,Castillo
goldspa01,2016,,,,Paul,Goldschmidt
gosligo01,1929,,,,Goose,Goslin
#PITCHERS
greinza01,2016,,,,Zack,Greinke
newcodo01,1951,,,,Don,Newcombe
gomezle01,1932,,,,Lefty,Gomez
clarkwa02,1930,,,,Watty,Clark
brownke01,1992,,,,Kevin,Brown
zieglbr01,2016,,,,Brad,Ziegler
clippty01,2016,,,,Tyler,Clippard
hudsoda01,2016,,,,Daniel,Hudson
ramosaj01,2015,,,,A.J.,Ramos
perryga01,1971,,,,Gaylord,Perry
vanceda01,1930,,,,Dazzy,Vance
collmjo01,2016,,,,Josh,Collmenter
ruffire01,1932,,,,Red,Ruffing
herreke01,2015,,,,Kelvin,Herrera
gibsobo01,1963,,,,Bob,Gibson

GVOLTT fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 25, 2016

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Killer Mikes take Felix Hernandez 2016, Marauder is up

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Plimmoth forr the good of the collony chuse an eminente batsman whos exseeding great five-fold tools canot be deneyed, Jacob Charles Stelzle.

We awate the pleasure of the headsmen of Newe Spain.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Rabid squid or whomever is picking while the guy I want is left : any spare parts I can send for your pick ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_bF1oJol4TH3WJSGYcg1hUFLvePHDrhidI-wGVVUvbk

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im tired and dont want to deal with trades so just give me cy falkenberg 09

the janus are on the clock!

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
still wantin that pick

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
so i guess the flames aare coming back? idk

e: i still don't know whether morns coming back and i dislike the idea of an ownerless team taking up space, either demote them or give them to an owner without a team if he's gonna Permanently Peace Out of the league

Craig K fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 22, 2016

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Craig K posted:

so i guess the flames aare coming back? idk

e: i still don't know whether morns coming back and i dislike the idea of an ownerless team taking up space, either demote them or give them to an owner without a team if he's gonna Permanently Peace Out of the league

FWIW I'm in favor of appointing a Caretaker owner , I'd do it if not for the part where I'm in the same division

shepard.shouldgo fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 22, 2016

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Cuyahoga Flames and Centralia Mines should have swapped names because there's a fire that's truly never dying.

edit: So like, does Triple H somehow survive demotion again and Cuyahoga takes where Triple H would be in the subpar???

Yaya fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 22, 2016

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Senor Goodtimes Preview preview:

The Janus should have a caretaker appointed. They really should. It's a shame Mornacale won't come back, because with the right guidance and a little luck, the Janus could be really good.

Seriously, they are a righty power gimmick team and are two or three smart trades or pick-ups from being a team you don't much want to play. Don't let them die!

EDIT: I'd be that caretaker, if the job is open.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

bring the flames back, but this time let the goog run them !!!

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

HulkaMatt posted:

bring the flames back, but this time let the goog run them !!!

Bring The Goog Day back :smith:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The answer is simple, give the Janus to Marauder; that way he can have three teams.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

mentholmoose posted:

The answer is simple, give the Janus to Marauder; that way he can have three teams.

:mmmhmm::hfive::cawg::D

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I'd like to bid on the Janus Robbie Alomar in the repo auction

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Clearly, the right answer here is to have FaustoanBargain take over the Janus.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Someone on discord suggested putting the Landers back in the Senor Goodtimes, letting FaustoanBargain have his old team back in the Sub-Par, and letting the Janus die. I would accept this solution, but it directly affects me so I'll abstain from voting or whatever.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Presented by Robert Deadford….in association with

PALMA, the Racist Margarine

It's the Super-League XXI Senor Goodtimes Preview Show!

Portland Panderers (PAN), defending Division and Super-League Champions, owned by Pander

Last season could not have gone much better for Pander. With a league best record of 101-61, the Panderers took it all and then Pander was able to make some interesting additions to his roster. Playing in The Panderdome (410-425-435-425-410), and enjoying winning records over both the Bombers (10-8) and the Janus (14-4), the Panderers represent the ultimate vindication of the project began by, ahem, TheMcD and his Zephyrs. That project is a repudiation of the predominant Super-League paradigm of deadball pitching combined with the best available sluggers: flyball, strikeout pitchers with a cornucopia of contact hitters. It's just that when you aren't relying on multiple incarnations of ambulant turd Curt Schilling, things get much easier. Pander has led his teams to four finals in the last six seasons, with three championships.

Oklahoma City Bombers (OKC), owned by mentholmoose

Representing the predominant Super-League paradigm of deadball pitching combined with the best available sluggers, the Bombers have been gamely plugging away for ten seasons in their current run. Last year, they performed very well with a record of 93-69. Back in SL XVIII, they even came one win from the Championship. And that's as far as they've gone. It's a good record, to be sure, but no doubt mentholmoose wants more, and now he has to find a way to dethrone the Panderers. Playing at Clay Bennett Field (348-351-384-350-297), the Bombers dominated the Janus (season record 12-6 in SL XIX) but struggled with the Panderers (8-10).

Genoa Janus (GEN), owned by absentee Mornacale

At the time of writing, it seems like Mornacale is not returning to the league, due to his on-going hatred of Marauder. I think that's a pity as the Janus are a few tweaks from becoming the anti-Southpaws. I can't think of another team in SL history with so much right-handed power hitting. The ballpark, The Dent (250-350-500-500-500), is built to punish lefty sluggers and reward righties. Finishing 76-86 last time out, we've already seen how the Janus suffered at the hands of their divisional rivals, but Mornacale has done well to drag this team out of the SL XVII gauntlet all the way into the SL proper. I have made a best estimation of the likely roster, given last season's performances.

Dusty Baker's Base Cloggers (DUS), owned by shepard.shouldgo

When I saw how shepard had evolved the Cloggers from a rather lightweight unit in season XIX to the offensive powerhouse before last season, I was afraid. Shepard deserves his seasons in the sun. Playing out of the frankly miniscule confines of the Prior-Wood Memorial (285-350-375-350-275), the Cloggers have every reason to feel confident coming into SL XXI. This team is stuffed with slugging talent, and the risks shepard has taken with his pitchers have thus far paid off.

Positional Rankings

NB. where there is a platoon, the player hitting versus RHP is listed first.

Catcher
1. '51 Yogi Berra/'02 Mike Piazza (OKC)
2. '98 Piazza/Joe Torre (DUS)
3. '99 Piazza (GEN)
4. '24 Bubbles Hargrave (PAN)

The Bombers' platoon is easily the best of the four, as Berra alone would offer the best combination of power and defense. Spelling him with Piazza is just the icing on the cake. Platooning Piazza with Torre, via multiple personal catcher orders, enables the Cloggers to get more mileage out of their Piazza than the lone Piazza for the Janus, as effective as he is. The Mikes Piazza will all hit well, but their defense is not impressive. Finally, while Bubbles might deliver exactly what Pander wants, it's not all that much in reality.

First Base
1. '25 Lou Gehrig (DUS)
2. '08 Albert Pujols (OKC)
3. '92 Frank Thomas (GEN)
4. '83 Keith Hernandez (PAN)

For me, Gehrig offers more all-round than Pujols. Pujols is still pretty great, especially when of this vintage. Frank Thomas was atrocious for the Janus last season, but if he rebounds, he'll offer greater threat than Hernandez, who once more fits Pander's system.

Second Base
1. '15 Eddie Collins (OKC)
2. '20 Eddie Collins (PAN)
3. '13 Eddie Collins (GEN)
4. '05 Nap Lajoie (DUS)

It's hard to separate the Collinses, but the Bombers version should perform the best and fits his team's system well. Genoa's Collins has been fairly poor defensively and his bat is wasted in that huge stadium. Lajoie was defensively effective for the Cloggers as well as productive with the bat, but the knock on Lajoie is his deadball glove which will hurt the Cloggers if he reverts to defensive type.

Third Base
1. '86 George Brett/Edgar Martinez (DUS)
2. '65 Harmon Killebrew/'65 Ron Santo (GEN)
3. '65 Ron Santo (OKC)
4. '28 Pie Traynor (PAN)

The Cloggers get the nod, just, as with Brett the big spoon, their platoon will deliver offensively while limiting the deleterious effect of Edgar's glove. The other factor is that I think the Janus' platoon is backwards. Santo hits very well given Genoa's tiny left field and his glove is superior to Killebrew's. That being said, Santo alone will do very nicely for the Bombers and Traynor is another contact hitter for the Panderers grand strategy.

Short Stop
1. '55 Ernie Banks (GEN)
2. '36 Arky Vaughan (OKC)
3. '33 Joe Cronin (PAN)
4. '82 Alan Trammell (DUS)

Ernie Banks is awesome, offering fantastic all-round performance. He was poo poo for the Janus last season, but my point still stands. Arky is a good all-round too, just not as good. Cronin offers Pander lots of hits at the expense of slightly worse defense, and Trammell fulfils a mostly defensive role for the Cloggers. A good group, I feel.

Left Field
1. A choice of Teds Williams (1952 and 1941) (DUS)
2. '87 Barry Bonds (OKC)
3. '97 Fred Clarke (PAN)
4. '95 Manny Ramirez (GEN)

When you have two Teddy Ballgames, you don't care that he can't field well. You just enjoy the hits as they come rolling in. Bonds offers the three true outcomes and he's been very effective for the Bombers. Clarke is a Hall of Famer with great contact skills and good outfield defense, which is what Pander is after. If he hits well, he'll be a beast. Manny has been good for the Janus with both bat, and, shockingly enough, his glove. More on that later.

Centre Field
1. '08 Tris Speaker (DUS)
2. '24 Edd Roush (PAN)
3. '01 Billy Hamilton (OKC)
4. '19 Ty Cobb (GEN)

Speaker is easily the best of this rather good group, and this Speaker is young enough to be effective on defense. Edd Roush is an odd duck – he is mind-blowingly good in defense, notching a 3.9 dWAR last season, so his comparatively low offensive output is irrelevant. Hamilton is good and so is Cobb, but the Janus have a young Willie Mays – a righty slugger – gathering dust on their bench.

Right Field
1. '27 Babe Ruth (OKC)
2. '36 Paul Waner (PAN)
3. '38 Mel Ott (DUS)
4. '02 Vlad Guerrero (GEN)

Babe Ruth is better than Waner, but they both provide the offensive heart of their respective line-ups. Ott is pretty drat good too. Vlad has been fantastic offensively for the Janus but he's so isolated in right field, you'd think he had Ebola. It doesn't help he's been abysmal defensively.

Designated Hitter
1. A choice of Teds Williams (DUS)
2. '96 Manny Ramirez (OKC)
2. '99 Cupid Childs (PAN)
4. '02 John McGraw (GEN)

Yep, more Teddys. Ramirez and Childs both offer what their teams need hitting-wise, although if Childs is as ineffective this season as last, he should be ranked fourth. McGraw is another contact lefty playing for the Janus and I suppose someone has to set the table.

Bench
1. C Platoon/1B Olerud/2B Carew/2B Hornsby/SS Han-Ram/OF Davis (OKC)
2. C Mauer/UT Elliot/INF Travis/OF Carey/LF Burkett (PAN)
3. 3B Platoon/C Bassler/UT Herman/OF Mays/INF Alomar (GEN)
4. C Platoon/3B Platoon/SS Vizquel/OF Sheffield/2B Riggs (DUS)

The Bomber's bench is built out of players who could conceivably be starters elsewhere, even if there is a defensive drop-off. The Panderer's bench offers defensive depth and not a whole lot else. Mays is wasted on the Genoa bench. If the Cloggers get infield injuries, the poor glovemanship of guys like Riggs and Martinez in regular play could come back to haunt them.

Starting Pitching

SP1
1. '13 Clayton Kershaw (PAN)
2. '02 Rube Waddell (OKC)
3. '06 Eddie Plank (GEN)
4. '08 Smoky Joe Wood (DUS)

Kershaw brings an awesome blend of control and strikeouts, protected by an elite defensive outfield. Dominating! Waddell is also fantastic, an elite deadballer with a great infield shield. Plank is pretty good too. As for Wood, I'm astonished how well a pitcher whose only pitch is an 85mph cutter can do. If he can keep this up, shepard would be delighted.

SP2
1. '15 Ed Walsh (OKC)
2. '90 Old Hoss Radbourne (DUS)
3. '15 Jose Fernandez (PAN)
4. '03 Roy Halladay (GEN)

Ed Walsh is just outside the deadballer elite in my view, but he's very reliable. Old Hoss won't give up many walks but he is prone to getting homered on. Fernandez is a big step-down from Kershaw, given his elevated walk rate, but he'll do just fine. Halladay is decent too, nothing special, but unlikely to implode.

SP3
1. '06 Ed Walsh (OKC)
2. '02 Jack Powell (DUS)
3. '14 Cole Hamels (PAN)
4. '08 Roy Halladay (GEN)

Another Ed Walsh? Not bad, not bad at all. Powell has worked out pretty well thus far for the Cloggers. Cole Hamel factoid: he pitched 16% of the Panderer's innings last season and gave up 21% of their conceded HR – 42 of them, twice as much as any other individual pitcher. That's not great, but he brings good control to compensate. And another Halladay! Hooray!

SP4
1. '08 Cy Young (DUS)
2. '29 Lefty Grove (OKC)
3. '77 Tom Seaver (GEN)
?. '16 David Price (PAN)

Cy Young is a great control deadballer to have at SP4, and even if Grove is a little wilder, he's also a great SP4. Seaver is wilder still, and I'm not too sure how to rate Price, but I believe he'll be a good fit for the Panderers.

SP5
1. '04 Addie Joss (OKC)
2. '15 Stephen Strasburg (PAN)
3. '15 Jacob Degrom (GEN)
4. '08 George Winter (DUS)

Addie Joss is a pretty drat good SP5. And which of you guys traded Pander another high-K flyballer? I'd be starting Strasburg at SP4, not Price. Degrom has been solid to date for Genoa. Winter is probably a little better than generic deadballer. Probably.

Bullpen
1. Hoffman/Rivera/Papelbon/Smoltz/Phillippe (OKC)
2. Kimbrel/Vincent/Vincent/Smith/Britton/Lee (PAN)
3. Romo/Lee Smith/Rivera/Familia/Rixey/Plank (GEN)
4. Rivera/Gregerson/O'Day/Soria/Borbon/Shocker (DUS)

That Bomber bullpen? Wow. Magnificent! The Panderer's group is also drat solid, even if I'm a touch suspicious of Carson Smith, who seems a gamble with a big upside. Cliff Lee, though, should probably be replaced in the long run. The Janus' bullpen has Romo and Rivera, which is great, but Smith and Familia are both likely to fail. Shepard needs to look into improving his bullpen as, Rivera and Shocker aside, his bullpen will probably devolve into a hideous mess of walks and homers.

Final Ratings and Comments

1. Portland Panderers

Although the pieces are not individually the best, the team is deservedly SL champs. The system works: the contact-focused offense grinds the opposition pitchers down, getting to the sweet juicy bullpens. No HR is no problem. The outfield defense is incredibly effective and the flyball pitching, while conceding HR at a fair clip, is led by the frankly fantastic Kershaw and they don't get beaten up. Their record does not lie, because they do not have a weakness.

2. Oklahoma City Bombers

A blend of huge lefty slugging and quality deadballers, coupled to an awesome bullpen, the Bombers only need to find a way past PAN, which is a huge problem. This incarnation has never finished lower than second, so they are serial under-achievers. The OF is the offensive engine, the infield providing defensive cover. This team seems to have two weaknesses: road games and one-run games. I suppose when you are dependent on runs coming in bursts, elite pitchers will be a roadblock. Nonethless, the expectation is at least 90 wins, and a wildcard.

3. Dusty Baker's Base Cloggers

A lot rides on how effective the pitching is - it was fine in the Sub-Par, where the offenses are, naturally, not the best. But in the SL proper? Shepard should be worried, and I believe he is. The bullpen is not the best and the bench is shallow. Yet if the pitchers can keep things on an even keel, then the offense in its tiny home park will be hard to handle. On the road, it'll be tough. It all depends on the starters. Survival is definitely within their grasp but their pitching will not match up well against the Panderers.

4. Genoa Janus

GEN have a hitting strategy, insane righty power, but not a pitching one. With a handful of trades, a struggling team could be turned into something impressive, and there are parts available for trade. There are tactical tweaks available, too. Mays should be starting as often as possible and the 3B platoon reversed. Furthermore, literally any righty slugger could be the DH, but McGraw is needed to set the table I guess. The biggest issue is the defense: the net TZ for the squad last time out was -76! The best defensive performer was Manny, dWAR of +0.7! Jesus titty-loving Christ, how bad is your defense if the best defender was Manny loving Ramirez? It's all fixable, though, starting with the madness that is right field. Bring the fences in 50 to 75 feet, lefty power is still suppressed while RF and CF aren't getting eaten alive.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Mornacale

Your big argument for why Marauder shouldn't have two teams is that of fairness.

But I posit this to you. If the vast majority of owners are willing to allow Marauder to have two teams, and one owner, despite the will of the majority, demands that his vision of the rules be enforced strictly, is that any more fair?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Okay. Some of the insanity from this month has subsided; The rest of the insanity is still going strong. I do hope to have my finalized roster/lineups post up soon though. Just gotta reinstall BM2013 and get to updating my spreadsheets.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XX

Memento Mori Division Preview
Vae Victis Division Preview
Sic Transit Vir Division Preview
Mark Bellhorn Division Preview
Senor Goodtimes Division Preview
Norris-Smythe Division Preview
Super-League XX, Week 0 Results
Super-League XX, Week 1 Results
Super-League XX, Week 2 Results
Super-League XX, Week 3 Results
Super-League XX, Week 4 Results
Super-League XX, Week 5 Results
Super-League XX, Week 6 Results
Super-League XX, Week 7 Results
Super-League XX, Week 8 Results
Super-League XX, Week 9 Results
Super-League XX, Week 10 Results
Super-League XX, Week 11 Results
Super-League XX, Week 12 Results
Super-League XX, Week 13 Results
Super-League XX, Week 14 Results
Tag Team Tournament X, Pool Play: Day One
Tag Team Tournament X, Pool Play: Day Two
Tag Team Tournament X, Semi-Finals
Tag Team Tournament X, Finals
Super-League XX, Week 15 Results
Super-League XX, Week 16 Results
Super-League XX, Week 17 Results
Super-League XX, Week 18 Results
Super-League XX, Week 19 Results
Super-League XX, Week 20 Results
Super-League XX, Week 21 Results
Super-League XX, Week 22 Results
Super-League XX, Week 23 Results
Super-League XX, Week 24 Results
Super-League XX, Week 25 Results
Super-League XX, Week 26 Results
Super-League XX, Eliminator, Tiebreaker and Wildcard Games
Super-League XX, Smasher League Divisional Series: Oklahoma City Bombers vs. Portland Panderers
Super-League XX, Dynamo League Divisional Series: Sindhi Sheikhs vs. Jersey City Jobbers
Super-League XX, Smasher League Divisional Series: Khartoum Doom vs. South Bolton Eazy W's
Super-League XX, Dynamo League Divisional Series: RCMP vs. Slaughterhouse Nine
Super-League XX, Dynamo League Championship Series: Sindhi Sheikhs vs. RCMP
Super-League XX, Smasher League Championship Series: Khartoum Doom vs. Portland Panderers
Super-League XX, Finals: RCMP vs. Portland Panderers

Sub-Par League VIII
Monster's Ball Division Preview
Punjabi Prison Division Preview
Kennel From Hell Division Preivew
Feast or Fired Division Preview
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 0 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 1 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 2 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 3 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 4 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 5 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 6 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 7 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 8 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 9 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 10 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 11 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 12 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 13 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 14 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 15 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 16 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 17 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 18 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 19 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 20 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 21 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 22 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 23 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 24 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 25 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Week 26 Results
Sub-Par League VIII, Semi-Finals: Aperture Scientists vs. Base Cloggers
Sub-Par League VIII, Semi-Finals: Nega-Llamas vs. Gumshoes
Gauntlet, Round 1
Gauntlet, Round 2
Gauntlet, Round 3
Gauntlet, Round 4
Gauntlet, Round 5
Gauntlet, Round 6

Expansion Cup XX
April Results: Bad News
May Results: Killer Filler!
June Results: March of Depression
July Results: My Novel Wasn't Very Good
August Results: KILLMEKILLMEKILLMEKILLMEKILLMEKILLME
September Results: All Teams Are Bad
EC Finals: Decisions

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
its been 24 hours mcd you're up and give me your dang pick

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
So who got ordered to the Kennel of Hell division outside of the survivors of last year. Last I checked it was still undecided on the draft sheet and I'd love to hammer out my preview as soon as possible as I'm currently at home where good internet is only a dream and it will take time to do it all so I'd rather start as fast as I can.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
The Kennel From Hell features the returning Krakow Dragons and Burlington Burners, plus the demoted Houston Hol Horses and the Expansion teams Blood Gulch Blues and Midway Mobsters.

It might change, depending on the fate of the Janus and who replaces them in Senor Goodtimes.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CVE posted:

So who got ordered to the Kennel of Hell division outside of the survivors of last year. Last I checked it was still undecided on the draft sheet and I'd love to hammer out my preview as soon as possible as I'm currently at home where good internet is only a dream and it will take time to do it all so I'd rather start as fast as I can.

Milt Thompson posted:

The Kennel From Hell features the returning Krakow Dragons and Burlington Burners, plus the demoted Houston Hol Horses and the Expansion teams Blood Gulch Blues and Midway Mobsters.

It might change, depending on the fate of the Janus and who replaces them in Senor Goodtimes.

I should be finishing up my roster this weekend, but the main positions are pretty much set in my spreadsheet. However, I am certainly changing my stadium name and might also change my stadium dimensions slightly as well as changing my team picture to this :

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We should have rosters and sheets posted this weekend.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

TMMadman posted:

I should be finishing up my roster this weekend, but the main positions are pretty much set in my spreadsheet. However, I am certainly changing my stadium name and might also change my stadium dimensions slightly as well as changing my team picture to this :

That's a big sausage.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

With the second to last pick, the Hoboken Zephyrs, now immortalized as the innovators of the flyball/contact combo, pick Ed McKean '95. Because let's face it, if I'm going to let another terrible fielder on my team, the least he can do is field terribly at multiple positions.

Milt Thompson and his Krakow Dragons are up and can bring this draft to a close!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
McD, you're like the Billy Beane of flyball/contact. Pander is the Theo Epstein of it - he made it work. Or something.

Anyway, I'm not going to save 2010 Lance Berkman from annihilation. Instead, I'm going to select 1987 Doug Jones and stick him into my bullpen and pray he's better than Todd Worrell.

This concludes the draft! God save the Queen!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

RIP 2010 Lance 'Launch 'Load Bearingwall' Ballman' Berkman, SL4-SL20.

In unrelated news! I want to get started on the STV preview before I fade into the ether from general lack of desire to exist! No one has made final roster posts from STV yet! That means I'm waiting on all four of the following:

Beet / Sindhi Sheikhs
Zodiac5000 / South Dakota Marmosets
Dannomack / The RCMP
Marauder / South Shore Gumshoes

Please throw these up at your earliest convenience, tia.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Returning to the Sub-League for the third, and hopefully last, season, it's the Krakow Dragons!

Stadium and strategy:

The Wawel, based on 1954 Griffith Stadium
Dimensions:
LF 388
LC 391
CF 421
RC 373
RF 320
Foul Territory: Large
Visibility: Excellent
Infield Grass: Short
Infield Quality:Excellent

Hit and Run 0
Sac Bunt -5
Squeeze -2
Going For Extra Bases 2
Stealing Bases 1
Tagging Up 2
Pitch Outs 0
Giving IBB 0
Pitch Around 0
Infield In 0
Guard the Lines 0
Cutoff Throws 3
Pinch Hitters 0
Pinch Runners 1
Defensive Subs 0
Pitch on Short Rest 2
Pitch Through Trouble 2
High Pitch Counts 3

Position Players

C Torre
1B Sisler (vs RHP)/Greenberg (vs LHP)
2B Gehringer
3B Mathews (vs RHP)/Chipper Jones (vs LHP)
SS Wagner
RF Heilmann
CF Cobb
LF Goslin
DH Musial (vs RHP)/Burks (vs LHP)

Bench

C Schalk
IF Stephens
3B/LF Chipper Jones
1B Greenberg
OF Burks

Starting Pitching

SP1 Radbourne
SP2 Johnson
SP3 Adams (personal catcher: Ray Schalk)
SP4 Rudolph
SP5 Hubbell

Bullpen

CL Hoffman
SU Smoltz
SR Doug Jones
SR Candelaria
MR Darling
LR 1935 Dutch Leonard

All other players in the minors, please.

Line-up vs RHP, DH

1B Sisler
LF Goslin
RF Heilmann
DH Musial
3B Mathews
C Torre
SS Wagner
CF Cobb
2B Gehringer

Line-up vs LHP, DH

SS Wagner
RF Heilmann
1B Greenberg
C Torre
DH Burks
3B Jones
LF Goslin
CF Cobb
2B Gehringer

50-man CSV
code:
adamsba01,1907,,,,Babe,Adams
bridgto01,1934,,,,Tommy,Bridges
brownke01,1997,,,,Kevin,Brown
burksel01,1997,,,,Ellis Burks
candejo01,1981,,,,John,Candelaria
careyma01,1921,,,,Max,Carey
cicoted01,1908,,,,Eddie,Ciccote
clarkfr01,1907,,,,Fred,Clarke
cobbty01,1924,,,,Ty,Cobb
crowdal01,1934,,,,Alvin,Crowder
darliro01,1992,,,,Ron,Darling
fordwh01,1958,,,,Whitey,Ford
gehrich01,1924,,,,Charlie,Gehringer
gosligo01,1934,,,,Goose,Goslin
gowdyha01,1916,,,,Hank,Gowdy
greenha01,1934,,,,Hank,Greenberg
grudzma01,1999,,,,Mark,Grudzielanek
heilmha01,1929,,,,Harry,Heilmann
hoffmtr01,2006,,,,Trevor,Hoffman
howarfr01,1967,,,,Frank,Howard
hubbeca01,1936,,,,Carl,Hubbell
hugheto02,1916,,,,Tom,Hughes
johnswa01,1922,,,,Walter,Johnson
jonesch06,1993,,,,Chipper,Jones
jonesdo01,1987,,,,Doug,Jones
leevesa01,1907,,,,Sam,Leever
leonadu01,1924,,,,Dutch,Leonard
leonadu02,1935,,,,Dutch,Leonard
manushe01,1924,,,,Heinie,Manush 
maranra01,1916,,,,Rabbit,Maranville
matheed01,1959,,,,Eddie,Mathews
mccovwi01,1962,,,,Willie,McCovey
medwijo01,1943,,,,Joe,Medwick
musiast01,1959,,,,Stan,Musial
nathajo01,2000,,,,Joe,Nathan
piercbi02,1955,,,,Billy,Pierce
radbone99,,,,,New Hoss,Radbourn
rosepe01,1975,,,,Pete,Rose
rudoldi01,1916,,,,Dick,Rudolph
saberbr01,1995,,,,Bret,Saberhagen
schalra01,1920,,,,Ray,Schalk
sislege01,1922,,,,George,Sisler
smoltjo01,2002,,,,John,Smoltz
stephve01,1950,,,,Vern,Stephens
torrejo01,1970,,,,Joe,Torre
verlaju01,2013,,,,Justin,Verlander
wagneho01,1907,,,,Honus,Wagner
willivi01,1907,,,,Vic,Willis
worreto01,1992,,,,Todd,Worrell
yorkru01,1934,,,,Rudy,York 

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alex Rodriguez and Jim Thome went undrafted.

That's nuts.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Boy I coulda swore that the southpaws went contact/flyball in SLXV, a season before the grass valley wizards stopped being quite as hapless. In SLXV the wizards still had A-Rod starting for Christmas sake.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
The record shows the SLXV Southpaws got 600 innings of work out of Warren Spahn, Deadball Dutch and Billy Pierce, averaging 50% groundballs. Deadball Dutch was still hanging around in SL XVI, too, for another 200 innings. I can amend my preview if you like, Pander. My memory of things was that the Southpaws were all lefty, all the time rather than going flyball/contact.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pander posted:

Boy I coulda swore that the southpaws went contact/flyball in SLXV, a season before the grass valley wizards stopped being quite as hapless. In SLXV the wizards still had A-Rod starting for Christmas sake.

Eh. Your top three pitchers by IP during SLXV were Warren Spahn, Dutch Leonard and Billy Pierce, who combined for a GB% over 50%. You had a team GB% of 42.6%. SLXVI was basically the same, with 42.5%. By that point, I put up 31.5%. It was only during SLXIX that your team finally broke below 40%, and meanwhile, I've been posting numbers below 33% ever since the team became the Despair, even breaking below 30% in one season. Your crew might not have been as flyball as you remember it.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

FairGame posted:

Alex Rodriguez and Jim Thome went undrafted.

That's nuts.
Well, technically the two skipped picks could still potentially be those. Don't know if Beet or Mornacale will ever come back, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Team Name: Rockford Losers
Home: Rockford, IL
Stadium: Rockford Municipal Ballpark, based on Comiskey Park I, circa 1986-1990 (347/382/409/382/347)

Team Roster:

Team Roster:
C Joe Torre (65 Brewers, acquired from Honolulu)
1B Frank Thomas (93 White Sox)
2B Rod Carew (73 Twins)
3B Jim Thome (95 Indians)
SS Pop Lloyd (Negro Leagues)
LF Barry Bonds (89 Pirates, acquired from Florida Oranges)
CF Oscar Charleston (Negro Leagues)
RF Lefty O’Doul (33 Giants)
OF Ken Williams (22 Browns)
C Bill Dickey (43 Yankees)
2B Riggs Stephenson (1932 Cubs)
1B/3B Kevin Youkilis (07 Red Sox, acquired from Seattle Homers)
OF Hack Wilson (27 Cubs)
SS Luke Appling (32 White Sox)
SP Satchel Paige (Negro Leagues, acquired from Brooklyn)
SP Carl Mays (21 Yankees)
SP Don Drysdale (61 Dodgers, acquired from South Bolton)
SP Don Sutton (82 Brewers)
SP Nolan Ryan (78 Angels)
RP John Smoltz (2001 Braves)
RP Rob Dibble (89 Reds)
RP Steve Bedrosian (87 Phillies)
RP Rich Gossage (75 White Sox)
RP Randy Myers (90 Reds, acquired from Motor City)
SP/RP Luis Tiant (71 Red Sox)

AAA C Victor Martinez (04 Indians)
AAA C Roy Campanella (49 Dodgers)
AAA IF Omar Vizquel (04 Indians)
AAA SS Miguel Tejada (00 Athletics, acquired from Atlantis)
AAA 3B Scott Rolen (08 Blue Jays)
AAA OF Tony Oliva (66 Twins, acquired from Greenbrier)
AAA OF Frank Robinson (64 Reds)
AAA RF Magglio Ordoñez (06 Tigers)
AAA 2B Jeff Kent (00 Giants)
AAA SS Derek Jeter (97 Yankees)
AAA SP Tom Seaver (71 Mets)
AAA SP Burleigh Grimes (23 Robins)
AAA SP Red Donahue (1901 Phillies)
AAA SP Jerry Koosman (71 Mets)
AAA SP Bob Feller (38 Indians)
AAA SP C.C. Sabathia (04 Indians)
AAA SP Cliff Lee (2010 Mariners)
AAA SP Alex Fernandez (93 White Sox)
AAA SP Harry Breechen (49 Cardinals)
AAA SP Jim O’Toole (64 Reds)
AAA Arthur Rhodes (96 Orioles, acquired from Seattle Homers)
AAA RP Roberto Hernandez (93 White Sox)
AAA RP Rafael Bentancourt (04 Indians)
AAA RP Bob Wickman (04 Indians)
AAA RP JJ Putz (04 Mariners, acquired from Greenbrier)
AAA RP Al Alburquerque (11 Tigers, acquired from Brooklyn)
AAA 2B Jeff Kent (00 Giants)
AAA 1B John Olerud (2001 Mariners)

Lineups

vs RHP
2B Carew
SS Lloyd
CF Charleston
LF Bonds
1B Thomas
3B Thome
RF Robinson
C Torre/Dickey