Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, if God is literally spelling out things to you, you probably don't need faith as much as knowledge.

As for the Heaven part, I mean it more from God's perspective than from man's. God knows (and you gits will know) I have an awful kneejerk reaction and I will balk at anything on the first sign that things aren't going well/are as easy as they seem, and no amoubt of rationalising will convince the me-in-the-moment that everything will be OK. So I don't think people go "meh, hurricanes, I'll die and go to Heaven anyways"

Some less haphazard than me can also say something about letting us learn learn lessons about life ourselves instead of handholding us the entire time like a divine helicopter parent almost the size of a Mi-26.

For example, WWII teaches us that giving away regions to an aggressive country to ensure peace isn't workable.
*cough* CrimeaDonestkBalticsetc *cough*

...this also ties into an ongoing lesson of "a thing doesn't have to be literally perfect for you to like it" as Chapo seems Hell bent on trading Baltic states for peace.

Back to thread tipic: so what is the Catholic doctrine on existance of Satan, demons and what is it that exorcists are supposed to be compelling with the power of Christ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josef bugman posted:

Are we going to be looking at the organs of cattle or flights of birds next? Let's go full on Pagan and break the back of a bull over an altar and have done with it. (meant in jest, but seriously reading the entrails shouldn't be something we are doing at this point)

all divination is good and cool

if i manage to get to japan you better fuckin believe i'm gonna see a fortune teller. preferably a traditional one, if i wanted someone to read tarot cards i'd have let the "psychic" at the renaissance faire that thought my brother and i were a couple do a reading for me

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Bel_Canto posted:

I think they eliminated all irregularities of birth in the last major revision to the Code of Canon Law: I'm not seeing it listed among any impediments to ordination, and canon law is pretty clear that the only impediments are those explicitly enumerated. Given that Boba Fett is a clone, I see no reason why he'd be treated any differently than identical twins: he may share 100% of his genetic material with someone else (or even thousands of someones) but that doesn't stop him from being an individual with an individually-created soul.

Can a frankenstein be a priest?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr Enderby posted:

Can you baptize it? I thought you might have to have been born, but weren't peeps cool with baptizing aliens who asked?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

If we simulate a trad cat AI in a computer and then turn it off, does it go to heaven?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

If a dude has all his body parts replaced by cybernetics one by one, can he be baptized?

Asking for a friend

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Mr Enderby posted:

Possibly, I don't think he was married. Other men in his family might also be eligible. The monster on the other hand... :cheeky:

pidan posted:

If a dude has all his body parts replaced by cybernetics one by one, can he be baptized?

Asking for a friend

Is the brain replaced? If so I would say no.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 21, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

JcDent posted:

Back to thread tipic: so what is the Catholic doctrine on existance of Satan, demons and what is it that exorcists are supposed to be compelling with the power of Christ?

Cathechism of the Catholic Church posted:

391 Behind the disobedient choice of our first parents lurks a seductive voice, opposed to God, which makes them fall into death out of envy. Scripture and the Church's Tradition see in this being a fallen angel, called "Satan" or the "devil".267 The Church teaches that Satan was at first a good angel, made by God: "The devil and the other demons were indeed created naturally good by God, but they became evil by their own doing."

392 Scripture speaks of a sin of these angels. This "fall" consists in the free choice of these created spirits, who radically and irrevocably rejected God and his reign. We find a reflection of that rebellion in the tempter's words to our first parents: "You will be like God." The devil "has sinned from the beginning"; he is "a liar and the father of lies".

393 It is the irrevocable character of their choice, and not a defect in the infinite divine mercy, that makes the angels' sin unforgivable. "There is no repentance for the angels after their fall, just as there is no repentance for men after death."

394 Scripture witnesses to the disastrous influence of the one Jesus calls "a murderer from the beginning", who would even try to divert Jesus from the mission received from his Father. "The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil." In its consequences the gravest of these works was the mendacious seduction that led man to disobey God.

395 The power of Satan is, nonetheless, not infinite. He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature. He cannot prevent the building up of God's reign. Although Satan may act in the world out of hatred for God and his kingdom in Christ Jesus, and although his action may cause grave injuries - of a spiritual nature and, indirectly, even of a physical nature- to each man and to society, the action is permitted by divine providence which with strength and gentleness guides human and cosmic history. It is a great mystery that providence should permit diabolical activity, but "we know that in everything God works for good with those who love him."

Cathechism again posted:

1673 When the Church asks publicly and authoritatively in the name of Jesus Christ that a person or object be protected against the power of the Evil One and withdrawn from his dominion, it is called exorcism. Jesus performed exorcisms and from him the Church has received the power and office of exorcizing. In a simple form, exorcism is performed at the celebration of Baptism. The solemn exorcism, called "a major exorcism," can be performed only by a priest and with the permission of the bishop. The priest must proceed with prudence, strictly observing the rules established by the Church. Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.

St John Paul II in 1987 posted:

"The battle against the devil, which is the principal task of Saint Michael the archangel, is still being fought today, because the devil is still alive and active in the world. The evil that surrounds us today, the disorders that plague our society, man's inconsistency and brokenness, are not only the results of original sin, but also the result of Satan's pervasive and dark action."

Additionally there is this 1975 document (e: okay, I can't get the link to work; you have to go to the Vatican page, search for "exorcism", go to page 3 of the results and then choose to look at the cached version of the document called "Christian Faith and Demonology") of the Congregation of Faith detailing Catholic doctrine on exorcism and demonology; the Catholic Encyclopedia (which was compiled in 1913 iirc, so it might be somewhat outdated, mind) has detailed articles on Devil, Exorcism, Exorcist, Demoniacs (i.e. people possessed by demons), Demonical Possession, Demons and Demonology; and lastly, if you speak German this 2009 dissertation extensively covers not only the treatment of exorcisms in popular media, but also the doctrinal and liturgical development and reality of it. I couldn't really check these sources out myself because I'm supposed to clean up the place, so it falls to you I'm afraid :v:

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 21, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Many thanks!

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Possibly, I don't think he was married.

Who'd want to marry a big green dude with a bolt through his neck? Not even Elsa Lanchester.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Enderby posted:

Who'd want to marry a big green dude

scarlet johansson

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Can a hulk be a priest?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
a better question is can a hulk NOT be a priest

makes you think

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if gou are not already baptized, i baptize you with my giant green fists

Tias
May 25, 2008

I wanted to dual-race viking and hulk, but it would have been a fortune in torn leathers and not match my red beard at all

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

That's the end of the last complete sentence on the page. Thomistic anthropology is weird as hell.

Thanks! This whole passage made me wonder if a priest was ever asked to baptize, say, conjoined twins, and then pulled out the ol' old Canon Law and asked who had sex with which farm animal because this is very important actually.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bel Canto, I'm curious: what's the theological difference between saying "I baptize you" and assuming it has no effect if the person is ineligible or already baptized; and saying "If you aren't already baptized / are capable of being baptized I baptize you"? I notice that there are several formulas of baptism you called out, as well as the ones for rebaptizing converts if their original baptism is of uncertain form, that are careful to specify that they're valid only where recognized.

Hmm. Is there any circumstance where you'd say over a Host "If this is not already the Body of our Lord, I consecrate it?" Like, if the priest died at an unclear point in the institution?

If you baptize somebody twice their sins are forgiven too much. There's an integer underflow and they immediately burst into flames and turn into Satan.

Actually all this stuff floats around in liturgy to reinforce the idea that only humans can be baptized and you only can be baptized once. Who needs the remission of original sin? Descendants of Adam. How many times do you need original sin forgiven? Once. And of course there are tour packages popular among evangelicals to get themselves re-baptized in the Jordan but all they're really doing is taking a short swim.

There are rules for what happens if a priest dies during consecration, but generally there's no unclear point in speaking the words of the institution. If he finishes them in Latin or an approved vernacular liturgy it's consecrated. If he dies before finishing them then it's not, and if you want to consecrate them you have to start the words of institution over again from the beginning.

Here's an interesting thing: it's forbidden (and this word rarely comes up in Canon Law, actually, it's pretty severe) to consecrate one matter without the other, i.e. you can't just consecrate the Body and not the Blood. Using the English liturgy, if a priest dies before he finishes speaking "this is my body" in its entirety okay go home. If he dies after that and before "this is my blood" there's a problem here, because we can't have one without the other, and we'll have to find another priest to finish it pretty quickly.

e: as a thought experiment, let's say someone comes into the classroom where Father Joe is teaching some eighth graders about confirmation. "Father Joe, there's been an emergency at Mass, come help!" And Father Joe comes into the sanctuary where Father Duc lies dead slumped over the altar. The ciborium and chalice are there. Father Joe doesn't speak Vietnamese, and can't ask any of the parishioners to ascertain how far Father Duc was into the consecration. Does he consecrate again?

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 21, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

e: as a thought experiment, let's say someone comes into the classroom where Father Joe is teaching some eighth graders about confirmation. "Father Joe, there's been an emergency at Mass, come help!" And Father Joe comes into the sanctuary where Father Duc lies dead slumped over the altar. The ciborium and chalice are there. Father Joe doesn't speak Vietnamese, and can't ask any of the parishioners to ascertain how far Father Duc was into the consecration. Does he consecrate again?

A moment later, a mouse runs away with the host.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

P-Mack posted:

A moment later, a mouse runs away with the host.

Best course of action is to consecrate and eat the mouse.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

trick question, ask them in hmong, one of them is bilingual

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Can I baptize my computer? For the sake of economia, I understand that I can use a sprinkle of water, but would the bread go in the dvd tray?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

Can I baptize my computer? For the sake of economia, I understand that I can use a sprinkle of water, but would the bread go in the dvd tray?

there's no bread involved in baptism, that's the eucharist which is a completely different sacrament

Tias
May 25, 2008

CountFosco posted:

I can clear hexes on your computer for a very low fee

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If an athlete says in a post-game interview "I want to thank God for winning this game!" is that blasphemy?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tias posted:

I can clear hexes on your computer for a very low fee

hands off my wargames

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Only in curling, because God doesn't want to have anything to do with that poo poo

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Calvinist sports betting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Phlegmatist posted:

If you baptize somebody twice their sins are forgiven too much. There's an integer underflow and they immediately burst into flames and turn into Satan.
:perfect:
Gives a whole new meaning to "halt and catch fire".

e:

quote:

as a thought experiment, let's say someone comes into the classroom where Father Joe is teaching some eighth graders about confirmation. "Father Joe, there's been an emergency at Mass, come help!" And Father Joe comes into the sanctuary where Father Duc lies dead slumped over the altar. The ciborium and chalice are there. Father Joe doesn't speak Vietnamese, and can't ask any of the parishioners to ascertain how far Father Duc was into the consecration. Does he consecrate again?
Taking advantage of the "as soon as possible" clause, you call Mrs. Tranh, head of the Altar Guild, at home, and get her to translate. It is well known* that to the Altar Guild are reserved all powers of Heaven and Earth. Unfortunately, Mrs. Tranh reports that everybody in the congregation speaks an obscure subdialect of Vietnamese, and they had no idea if the words of institution were finished or not. They just prayed when the bell rang.

At this point, you just make a Perfect Act of Contrition For What I Am About To Do, consecrate the Blood, consume the whole drat ciborium, and hope God sorts it out.

* to the Altar Guild

ee: For maximum verisimilitude, the mass in question is the 10AM Wednesday mass, and the only people present were Mrs. Tranh's grandmother, Mrs. Tranh's great-aunt, and Mrs. Tranh's baby, whom her great-grandmother and great-great-aunt were babysitting.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 21, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Phlegmatist posted:

And Jesus ascended the mound, and He said to the people, "Hear my words children, for they are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:perfect:
Gives a whole new meaning to "halt and catch fire".

e:

Taking advantage of the "as soon as possible" clause, you call Mrs. Tranh, head of the Altar Guild, at home, and get her to translate. It is well known* that to the Altar Guild are reserved all powers of Heaven and Earth. Unfortunately, Mrs. Tranh reports that everybody in the congregation speaks an obscure subdialect of Vietnamese, and they had no idea if the words of institution were finished or not. They just prayed when the bell rang.

At this point, you just make a Perfect Act of Contrition For What I Am About To Do, consecrate the Blood, consume the whole drat ciborium, and hope God sorts it out.
* to the Altar Guild

ee: For maximum verisimilitude, the mass in question is the 10AM Wednesday mass, and the only people present were Mrs. Tranh's grandmother, Mrs. Tranh's great-aunt, and Mrs. Tranh's baby, whom her great-grandmother and great-great-aunt were babysitting.

let me guess, father duc choked on an albatross sandwich that was given to him anonymously by the rival lutheran altar guild from across the street

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

let me guess, father duc choked on an albatross sandwich that was given to him anonymously by the rival lutheran altar guild from across the street

capybara (it was friday at the time)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HEY GAL posted:

capybara (it was friday at the time)
Which had actually been prepared by Mrs. Tranh as a trenchant critique of his refusal to wear a maniple.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mo Tzu posted:

there's no bread involved in baptism, that's the eucharist which is a completely different sacrament

A testament to human fallibility, I started off thinking of baptism and then started thinking of eucharist while remaining blissfully unaware that my line of thinking had changed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

I saw this a few weeks ago and just found the music vid. Thought it might be a nice Christmassey tune in its own way, and hells I am always the depressive one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQMYWf1STc

Will add responses to the questions asked in the thread soon.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Josef bugman posted:

I saw this a few weeks ago and just found the music vid. Thought it might be a nice Christmassey tune in its own way, and hells I am always the depressive one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQMYWf1STc

Will add responses to the questions asked in the thread soon.

At least it's better than the original.

Tias
May 25, 2008

What are the threads feelings on the works of HP Lovecraft?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVFIWD1VmB0

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tias posted:

Lovecraft at his best does things like that moment in At the Mountains of Madness where the protagonist realizes that the ancient starfish-log-lobster aliens are just as scared as he is and struggling just as hard to understand a fundamentally hostile universe.

Lovecraft at his worst is racist as hell, and more subtly but no less significantly, full of fear and disgust for the grotesque and abject.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As always, I find myself much more taken with the Jewish attitude towards the, er, unfathomable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYjCIor2C7E

(e: in the sense that it's a Fiddler parody, and a little more lighthearted about God/elder gods; i realized that sounded kind of weird later)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 22, 2016

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Cthulhu! How many ICBMs has he got?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tias posted:

He's really overrated with an insane overly-worshipful fanbase. Like Haruki Murakami except even worse.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We have a pretty sizeable Vietnamese presence at our parish but none in the clergy or at the diocese level. So nobody at the rectory really knows the Vietnamese community that attends my parish and can't differentiate between this Duc Nguyen born in 1981 or that Duc Nguyen born in 1981. This has led to at least one instance where a Vietnamese man in my parish wanted to get married but was surprised to find out that according to the records in the rectory he was, actually, dead.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

One one hand, Lovecraft wrote some effective horror stories, on the other they're based on a) "The universe hates you and a loving God is a myth" and b) "black people are the devil" so I can't like them too much. (Declare is a pretty good novel that blends Lovecraftian horror with a Catholic worldview)

• Locked thread