Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

this doesnt make sense either though. sonic games dont command such a price premium. neither do star wars games. nor do angry bird games. sure, sonic might not be mario big, but i think you would agree that star wars and angry birds are certainly up there, if not a bigger draw, yet there isnt the premium that there is for this game. also, having just played the demo, i dont feel there is polish or presentation above or beyond the better mobile titles out there. it feels roughly the same, which is great because it means nintendo are well placed in mobile gaming already, but it still doesnt explain the price unless its literally a price gouge on nintendo fans, which is what it sounds like you are saying it is.

Yeah well, Mario games are generally good, while all your examples are poo poo. lovely games generally don't command a price premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oddium posted:

you dummy a hamburger is a sandwich

You're right I should just get a calzOne.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the gyro uses the wrong type of lamb

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Libluini posted:

Yeah well, Mario games are generally good, while all your examples are poo poo. lovely games generally don't command a price premium.

this isnt an argument either, and it also ignores entirely the context of what i was saying. i dont think you need to be attacking other games like this to excuse a small price gouge. a criticism like this doesnt mean i think mario or the game itself is poo poo or bad, just a bit over priced, thats all. theres no need to start getting mean about it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oddium posted:

the gyro uses the wrong type of lamb

...you win

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Stux posted:

i think this is a bit of a dismissive comment rather than an actual engagement. even if you dont personally like gta i think its pretty ridiculous to dismiss the comparison out of hand because you think theyre not up to snuff quality or content wise. these are big games, considered classics, that you happen to personally not enjoy. that doesnt erase the point.

Let me elaborate then: the GTA series is ok but it doesn't do anything great gameplay wise. It's the same thing over and over with mediocre shooting, mediocre driving, and somewhat interesting stories. I played them all, they aren't bad but they can't be compared to Mario games, nor they should be as expensive on mobile.

The fact that a series is considered "a classic" nowadays is also very ambiguous. Assassin's Creed is considered a classic but the games are all terrible with the exception of AC2 and 4 only because they nailed the narrative and the atmosphere. It's basically like watching a lovely movie while going through the motions. The AC movie is also very lovely, coincidentally.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Libluini posted:

Stux is being disingenuous. These are the same points he will make defending Apple products. He's just trying to bait the thread into attacking him, so please don't worry.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I think we've all engaged stux enough between probations

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I haven't even had Super Mario Run for a week yet. I paid the $10, put 5 hrs 15 minutes into it so far. I've gotten 200 of the 360 coins, so that's roughly 55% of the content, and that's not really getting into trying to replay these levels and get a higher score and such.

Like if I get 10 hour out of this game for $10, that's way more than I've expected. I've paid more for games I've played much less.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kawabata posted:

Let me elaborate then: the GTA series is ok but it doesn't do anything great gameplay wise. It's the same thing over and over with mediocre shooting, mediocre driving, and somewhat interesting stories. I played them all, they aren't bad but they can't be compared to Mario games, nor they should be as expensive.

i mean this again isnt really an actual line of reasoning though. nearly every game is "the same thing over and over" and your judgments on the mechanical systems are purely subjective too. i mean, you could quite easily make the same argument about mario titles, and i certainly know some people who do feel that way about mario games. that doesnt make what theyre saying into a fact though, just as it doesnt make your argument anything more than opinion as opposed to reasoning.

i am coming from the viewpoint that the series i have mentioned, including mario, are widely regarded as good and enjoyed by a large number of people, so that we can skip quality discussions. i would understand if i was simply talking about some weird no-name games, but ive picked these purposefully because even if you dont personally enjoy them you should be able to see that they are of a certain baseline of quality that should be comparable. ive even skipped over the mario run game being slightly less interactive than a regular mario game here to try and have a balanced discussion about this, but it seems like you would prefer to just slate popular games instead in order to try and justify a price point that is higher than would be expected.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

VideoGames posted:

Stux is being disingenuous. These are the same points he will make defending Apple products. He's just trying to bait the thread into attacking him, so please don't worry.

except i will gladly admit apple products are overpriced? i'll pay the extra for them, just as people are for mario run, but i dont try and pretend there is any real justification for that premium.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Stux posted:

this doesnt make sense either though. sonic games dont command such a price premium. neither do star wars games. nor do angry bird games. sure, sonic might not be mario big, but i think you would agree that star wars and angry birds are certainly up there, if not a bigger draw, yet there isnt the premium that there is for this game. also, having just played the demo, i dont feel there is polish or presentation above or beyond the better mobile titles out there. it feels roughly the same, which is great because it means nintendo are well placed in mobile gaming already, but it still doesnt explain the price unless its literally a price gouge on nintendo fans, which is what it sounds like you are saying it is.

You do know that there are people that pay well over $10 a week on Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes right?

Also if you don't like the Mario game don't buy it? Some people enjoy the game and think it is worth the money, some don't, no big deal.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
GTA loving owns and you're a sad bastard if all you see in it is bad driving and shooting.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Gorgolflox posted:

You do know that there are people that pay well over $10 a week on Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes right?

Also if you don't like the Mario game don't buy it? Some people enjoy the game and think it is worth the money, some don't, no big deal.

i do like it, im just saying that i feel its a bit overpriced for what is offered. i dont think thats an unfair comment given its price point and the marketplace for mobile gaming. do you disagree?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

GTA loving owns and you're a sad bastard if all you see in it is bad driving and shooting.

I miss The Mercenaries.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Someone on GAF found the UE4 presets for switch docked and portable on GitHub. It's an interesting thread and could give you some idea of scalability and how games will look in both modes

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Someone should change the title of the thread to "Nintendo Switched Off. This is the Mario Run thread"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I tried mario run but i dont like how he can just run into obstacles and enemies and its no problem. No desire to play more when got lotsa mario carts for my gameboys.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

greatn posted:

Someone on GAF found the UE4 presets for switch docked and portable on GitHub. It's an interesting thread and could give you some idea of scalability and how games will look in both modes

Why would a game development company need to store proprietary information on github of all loving things? Either nintendo storing their own info or a 3rd party dev storing another company's (nintendo's) info, it makes no sense. I'm calling fake, it's probably someone dabbling on what the tegra 1 underclocked would be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sprite141 posted:

Why would a game development company need to store proprietary information on github of all loving things? Either nintendo storing their own info or a 3rd party dev storing another company's (nintendo's) info, it makes no sense. I'm calling fake, it's probably someone dabbling on what the tegra 1 underclocked would be.

Programmers are lazy is why. And they were originally not labeled as Switch settings. They've been up for months under a codename "wolf" and recently changed to Switch.

But I don't know anything about GitHub.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Do we know the height of the switch/dock?

My media console doesnt have a nice spot for something I need to remove it vertically from. Probably use it mostly on the TV though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i also need to know, so that i might carry the dock around in my purse to play on the go

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

greatn posted:

Programmers are lazy is why. And they were originally not labeled as Switch settings. They've been up for months under a codename "wolf" and recently changed to Switch.

But I don't know anything about GitHub.

Then those programers lost their jobs for violating company standards. Something like handling other company's property is a shoved in your face, do not gently caress up, info session that's given to you on day one. I mean you'd have to sign a confidentiality agreement before even getting access to that poo poo.

As putting poo poo on github, a third party open website, was no issue when handling work on other consoles, I'm calling fake.

oddium posted:

i also need to know, so that i might carry the dock around in my purse to play on the go

Uh it was shown on jimmy fallon's show? I guess you can like just work out the dimensions on that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I wonder if there will be a neat flip case kind of protector for the switch when you're carrying it around. A little bit like the Oasis Kindle cover.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Doesn't poo poo like that show up in GitHub all the time?

Also I wouldn't be surprised if you can lay the dock flat.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KingAveryGames/status/790125092974059520
There

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sprite141 posted:

Then those programers lost their jobs for violating company standards. Something like handling other company's property is a shoved in your face, do not gently caress up, info session that's given to you on day one. I mean you'd have to sign a confidentiality agreement before even getting access to that poo poo.

As putting poo poo on github, a third party open website, was no issue when handling work on other consoles, I'm calling fake.

Uh it was shown on jimmy fallon's show? I guess you can like just work out the dimensions on that.

Dude. You can literally download UE4 for free nowadays(I think you only need to pay once you start selling products). It's why they used code names to hide the presets in the code in the first place

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/DownloadingUnrealEngine/

It's not some super loving secret thing outside of using CodeNames which is p standard.

This is where everything originated from. Just a dude updating UE4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226968184&postcount=6143

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 21, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

james "jimmy" fallon is an enemy of the gaming state. no thank you

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VideoGames posted:

I wonder if there will be a neat flip case kind of protector for the switch when you're carrying it around. A little bit like the Oasis Kindle cover.
Guaranteed there will be at least a cheaply made one on eBay and Amazon, they are pretty reliable about getting that poo poo out day one for anything even if you don't see it in your local stores. There are also a fair number of 'universal' tablet cases with straps and such that you could probably use in a pinch.

I haven't been paying that close attention but that's surprisingly small to me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CrashCat posted:

I haven't been paying that close attention but that's surprisingly small to me

turn your crotch-level monitor on

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dexo posted:

Dude. You can literally download UE4 for free nowadays(I think you only need to pay once you start selling products). It's why they used code names to hide the presets in the code in the first place

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/DownloadingUnrealEngine/

It's not some super loving secret thing outside of using CodeNames which is p standard.

This is where everything originated from. Just a dude updating UE4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226968184&postcount=6143

So we go from the Wii U not having UE4 to Switch having presets for the engine to scale accordingly? Neato.

I'm assuming it's not as easy as hitting a switch and the engine will make the game work perfectly on both settings, but it's akin to having to traverse a block and Unreal giving you a skateboard?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So we go from the Wii U not having UE4 to Switch having presets for the engine to scale accordingly? Neato.

I'm assuming it's not as easy as hitting a switch and the engine will make the game work perfectly on both settings, but it's akin to having to traverse a block and Unreal giving you a skateboard?

It's essentially similar to PC games and their "recommended" stats for your system.

Like if Shadows are more important to your game play than water visuals, or aliasing or something you can turn up the shadow fidelity and turn down the aliasing or draw distance. It's mostly just giving a baseline of hey in our testing this is about the right ratio of graphics settings that we found works best. But obviously it depends on the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
UE has had tools for phone hardware for the longest time so it's really not surprising that UE4 has nominal Switch support.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they might be expecting the drop from 1080 to 720 to be enough for a game to run at the same speed. The CPU apparently doesn't throttle, only the GPU.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dexo posted:

It's essentially similar to PC games and their "recommended" stats for your system.

Like if Shadows are more important to your game play than water visuals, or aliasing or something you can turn up the shadow fidelity and turn down the aliasing or draw distance. It's mostly just giving a baseline of hey in our testing this is about the right ratio of graphics settings that we found works best. But obviously it depends on the game.

Aaah, alright then. Still pretty cool.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
apparently the switch is the easiest console to develop for, we're going to get all the games!!!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i hope the switch has uniracers 2

rockstar please do the needful

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I think they might be expecting the drop from 1080 to 720 to be enough for a game to run at the same speed. The CPU apparently doesn't throttle, only the GPU.

Lower resolution, means the shadow resolution can be of a lower quality, you probably don't need more than a basic amount of AA, and you could get away with loading lower quality textures into graphics memory.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

oddium posted:

turn your crotch-level monitor on

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

And yeah this doesn't necessarily make the switch easier or harder to work on. It's just simple presets for graphics like most games have (low, medium, high, very high, ultra). Only thing to really glean from this is the fact that UE 4 obviously works on the thing(which we p much already knew)

The fact that the Switch Supports Vulkan is going to be the real thing that makes port work easier on it.

• Locked thread