Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

I drive a BBW posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but looked over the last few pages and didn't see anything.

I'm looking to get an electric smoker. Specifically, I've been looking at the Traegers, Green Mountain Grill, and a Camp Chef. What is the general opinion on these grills? I've been leaning more towards the GMG Daniel Boone Wifi model, since I have a buddy that one and loves it. I also know a couple people who have a Traeger, and their biggest complaint is the temp doesn't get that high. I don't know anything about the Camp Chef stuff except that it exists.

Is there something else I should be looking at?

I have a 40" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker and love it. It is pretty much set it and forget it. (who can ever forget their smoker full of juicy meat though?) Yes, it does not get above 275ish but that is fine for most smoking. Also a brand new one will run you around $300 or maybe less if they are on sale. You can get the 30" even cheaper but I wouldn't as you will regret it when you want the extra room later.

Don't worry about getting the door with the window, you can't ever see through it after the first smoke anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I know it's been discussed in here before but I wanted some clarification for this weekend. I'm doing a turkey in a WSM and want to catch drippings for gravy. Will the drippings burn if I put a foil pan to catch the drippings on the middle level? Should I fill the pan with some water to catch the drippings then cook it down later?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I drive a BBW posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but looked over the last few pages and didn't see anything.

I'm looking to get an electric smoker. Specifically, I've been looking at the Traegers, Green Mountain Grill, and a Camp Chef. What is the general opinion on these grills? I've been leaning more towards the GMG Daniel Boone Wifi model, since I have a buddy that one and loves it. I also know a couple people who have a Traeger, and their biggest complaint is the temp doesn't get that high. I don't know anything about the Camp Chef stuff except that it exists.

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Definitely look at the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. I've had my 40" for about 3 years now, with zero issues after pretty regular use. It's set it and forget it if you also get an A-Maze-N pellet smoker. If you want to just use the default chips setup for the MES (like I do), you will want to do 2-3 doses of chips over the first 90 minutes of your smoke, but after that, it just does its thing and you collect great BBQ at the end.

Don't bother with the one with the window, halfway through your first cook it will be so gunked up you can't see anything anyway.

Edit: Beaten so hard by Trastion.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 7, 2016

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So what do the three I mentioned do that make them over twice the cost of the Masterbuilt?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

People in swamp county or Iceland that don't have decent availability of good smoking wood, where do you get your fuel? I can get small quantities of mystery hardwood at the grocery store, but it's crap, and expensive. I'm in South Florida.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I drive a BBW posted:

So what do the three I mentioned do that make them over twice the cost of the Masterbuilt?

No idea. I got my dad one of the 30" Masterbuilts and its great. Keeps heat well. We've found that you have to add a lot of wood chips to get appreciable smoke out of it, but everything we've done has been great (except the turkey we left on a little too long)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MrYenko posted:

People in swamp county or Iceland that don't have decent availability of good smoking wood, where do you get your fuel? I can get small quantities of mystery hardwood at the grocery store, but it's crap, and expensive. I'm in South Florida.

I live in a swampy area of Texas but there is plenty of oak and mesquite. My butcher has a variety of lump coal and hardwood so I just get it there when I buy meats.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So after doing some looking, the higher temps mean you can actually use the GMG or Traeger to grill, not just slow smoke. This is probably better for me as my propane grill has finally rusted through and I had been thinking about getting another one. With a GMG or Traeger I could replace the propane grill plus do some slow cooking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get the right pellets for Traeger.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

I drive a BBW posted:

You're probably looking at the pellet cookers, which are fundamentally different than something like the Masterbuilt. Pellet cookers are also a type of electronic smoker, but instead of a heating element heating the inside of the cooking chamber, it burns wood pellets augmented by a computer controlled hopper that burns to heat up the inside.

The result is that pellet smokers are burning wood for heat, giving you a potential for a smoke ring (not that important but aesthetically pleasing). The pellets in a Masterbuilt are burned at a much smaller quantity and only for giving meat that sweet, smoke flavor.

I believe the pellet cookers can get to a much higher temperature, but honestly the Masterbuilt is probably fine and will turn out food just as good, sans that smoke ring.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

My parents who live in farm country MO can get pretty much everything from a restaurant supply store in town. I'd check there or see if there are any "authorized dealers" of any of the big smoker brands there.

I've found the best year-round deals on fuel at Restaurant Depot oddly, but they don't always have smoking wood

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
FWIW I work with guys who have Traegers and Louisiana Grills pellet smokers and none of the food that comes off of those things compares to anything I smoke over charcoal and wood chunks, I imagine it's the same with any electric model. The taste isn't even close, pellet smokers are like 'lite' smokers. No wonder quite a few of the high end models come with an A-Maze-N unit as an accessory.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

FWIW I work with guys who have Traegers and Louisiana Grills pellet smokers and none of the food that comes off of those things compares to anything I smoke over charcoal and wood chunks, I imagine it's the same with any electric model. The taste isn't even close, pellet smokers are like 'lite' smokers. No wonder quite a few of the high end models come with an A-Maze-N unit as an accessory.

The second best brisket I've ever had came off a Traeger, and it was pretty drat close to my old man's brisket, which I consider the best I've had. My pops has an older wood burning Pitts and Spitts smoker, and he's the one who's been pushing me to get one of these electric pellet smokers (he wants me to try it first so he can stop dealing with the PITA of using wood).

I don't know poo poo about cooking briskets, but I've consumed a good bit of it in my day and I'm pretty sure it's more about how it's cooked and prepared vs what it's cooked in. I've had some pretty poo poo brisket that came off some drat nice smokers.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I love my Traeger. I won't claim to be a barbecue genius or an authority but the stuff I've made on it has been really good.

You need to buy better pellets than their ones but they're easy to find.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Smoked turkey turned out pretty good. Had a little trouble keeping the WSM above 300° in the snow but made it work.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I home cured a pork roast over Thanksgiving and smoked it to make my own ham.

Turned out to be a huge hit, I was asked to do it again for Christmas!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

arisu posted:

I home cured a pork roast over Thanksgiving and smoked it to make my own ham.

Turned out to be a huge hit, I was asked to do it again for Christmas!

That sounds pretty awesome, could you provide a recipe?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

That sounds pretty awesome, could you provide a recipe?

I used this recipe:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2015/12/home-cured-holiday-ham-first-you-brine.html

But instead of the oven, I put it in my smoker. Followed the same temps though.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Looking to get a WSM since costco didn't actually have the kamado sales at locations near me. A couple questions about it:
1. Is there any reason to get the smaller sizes, or is the 22" the way to go?
2. Are there any must buys/mods to go along with the WSM that is just general smoker stuff?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I have the 18," it's served me very well. I can fit a large pork shoulder and a few racks of ribs on it at the same time, but that's pretty much max. If you want to be able to entertain large groups get the 22," the drawback is that because of the larger coal chamber, it will cost more fuel per smoke than the 18" will.

One mod is basically essential, which is the stainless steel door replacement, the stock door is poo poo and will unabashedly leak heat and smoke. Also of note are some lid sealing kits they sell, but I didn't get one myself.

I would definitely recommend getting a dual probe thermometer as well (for meat and ambient temp) as the built in lid thermometer is not the most accurate. That's just "general smoker stuff" though, so yea.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 12, 2016

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

McSpankWich posted:

I have the 18," it's served me very well. I can fit a large pork shoulder and a few racks of ribs on it at the same time, but that's pretty much max. If you want to be able to entertain large groups get the 22," the drawback is that because of the larger coal chamber, it will cost more fuel per smoke than the 18" will.

One mod is basically essential, which is the stainless steel door replacement, the stock door is poo poo and will unabashedly leak heat and smoke. Also of note are some lid sealing kits they sell, but I didn't get one myself.
Is the door you're talking about the cajunbandit one? It's the first thing that came up on google. Most of the time, I will want to be able to feed 6-10 people

quote:

I would definitely recommend getting a dual probe thermometer as well (for meat and ambient temp) as the built in lid thermometer is not the most accurate. That's just "general smoker stuff" though, so yea.
I'm getting one of the thermoworks dual probe sets already

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is the door you're talking about the cajunbandit one? It's the first thing that came up on google. Most of the time, I will want to be able to feed 6-10 people

I have the cajun bandit one fitted with a compression handle and it works beautifully. A few pages back there is a guide on how to do it. The turkey I posted earlier was on an 18" if you want a reference for size. The turkey was about 20 lbs.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I highly recommend the 22.You can lay multiple full racks of ribs fully flat instead of having to bend, roll or cut them in half. You can also fit a lot more food in there if you want to cook for a large group.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yea, it's the cajunbandit one. I was just answering on my phone and couldn't think of the name off the top of my head. It works wonderfully right out of the box. I've also done a 23lb turkey on the 18" that came out great, like the above guy said. I have not tested how large of a turkey you could do if you used the bottom rack and positioned it vertically, but I imagine it could be quite a bit larger and have always wanted to test it out.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

I highly recommend the 22.You can lay multiple full racks of ribs fully flat instead of having to bend, roll or cut them in half. You can also fit a lot more food in there if you want to cook for a large group.

How much more fuel does the 22 use? Spareribs are one of my favorite meats so making that easier would be nice, but not if I'm only half filling the smoker and burning a lot more fuel for it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I don't have an 18", so I unfortunately couldn't give a real comparison. I probably use 15lbs of charcoal for around 15hrs worth of smoking? Charcoal has never been more than 10% of the cost of whatever I have been smoking, so I haven't really paid too close attention.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
At my Costco . Road show, thoughts?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'd be all over that if that's worth anything. Most people seem to ask for ~750 for BGE large equivalents on craiglist here, so 780+tax for a new KJ classic is a pretty good price.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah I was thinking about the classic. Seriously tempted.

How laughable would it be for me to get the smaller 13.5" one? Lol.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm throwing a 4lb pork belly done in a bastardized char-siu type marinade overnight onto my Weber Performer today. It was the only cooker I could easily dig out of the ridiculous amount of snow we got last night. If I'm not totally wasted by the time it's done I'll take some pics, as this is the first time I've ever done a pork belly.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Just over 3 hours later, at an internal temp of 165...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

VERTiG0 posted:

Wow that looks delicious!

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
any thoughts on smoking with a mix of charcoal briquettes and wood? I work at a restaurant that has always used wood only (red oak and maple) and the new location uses a combo of wood and charcoal briquettes, I'm guessing for consistency and speed. I'm not involved in BOH but it leaves a sour taste, is wood only just a purist thing? The smoker is also different at the second place.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I only use charcoal to get it started and use only wood from then on. It tastes cleaner to me, less bitter.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

saintculler posted:

any thoughts on smoking with a mix of charcoal briquettes and wood? I work at a restaurant that has always used wood only (red oak and maple) and the new location uses a combo of wood and charcoal briquettes, I'm guessing for consistency and speed. I'm not involved in BOH but it leaves a sour taste, is wood only just a purist thing? The smoker is also different at the second place.

I've done this in my offset. Using charcoal as the "base load" for generating heat and the wood for more heat and smoke works pretty well for me. Also charcoal allows me to control how much fuel I'm adding in quantities that I know well and feel like I have good control over.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

VERTiG0 posted:

I am using the mobile app, and thought I'd clicked on my bookmark for the Health Care Workers thread.

I had a lot of very unfortunate thoughts running through my head until that image loaded and I realized where I was. :aaaaa:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Going to do my first smoke on friday. The plan right now is 2 pork shoulders (6.5 lb ea) and 2 racks of spare ribs with memphis dust rub. I'm thinking about starting the cook around 6 AM with the pork butts on the bottom rack and starting the ribs on the top (3-2-1 or something) around noon with the plan of being done by 6-7. Is this a reasonable timeline, and is adding the ribs too ambitious for the first time?

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 22, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

Going to do my first smoke on friday. The plan right now is 2 pork shoulders (6.5 lb ea) and 2 racks of spare ribs with memphis dust rub. I'm thinking about starting the cook around 6 AM with the pork butts on the bottom rack and starting the ribs on the top (3-2-1 or something) around noon with the plan of being done by 6-7. Is this a reasonable timeline, and is adding the ribs too ambitious for the first time?

12 hours should be enough so long as weather doesn't make temperature maintenance difficult. What kind of smoker are you using? If it's a WSM you'll have differing temperatures on the top and bottom rack. Always plan to be done early rather than an exact time, I've learned this the hard way. Wrap that shoulder in foil, a towel, and throw it in a cooler and it will remain heated almost as long as you need it to. Throwing some ribs on is probably not too much but also keep in mind if you keep opening the smoker for the ribs it'll affect the shoulder's cook time so plan accordingly.

Enjoy!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

lifts cats over head posted:

Always plan to be done early rather than an exact time,

What he means by this is start earlier than you think. It is better to hold it in a low heat oven or in a cooler wrapped up for a couple hours than to have everyone waiting to eat because your meat isn't ready.

12 should be good for the shoulders and adding the ribs is great. Depending on how many people you have, don't be surprised if you get no ribs. 2 racks don't stretch far, everyone will want to try them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

12 hours should be enough so long as weather doesn't make temperature maintenance difficult. What kind of smoker are you using? If it's a WSM you'll have differing temperatures on the top and bottom rack. Always plan to be done early rather than an exact time, I've learned this the hard way. Wrap that shoulder in foil, a towel, and throw it in a cooler and it will remain heated almost as long as you need it to. Throwing some ribs on is probably not too much but also keep in mind if you keep opening the smoker for the ribs it'll affect the shoulder's cook time so plan accordingly.

Enjoy!

Yeah, I'm using a WSM. I'll probably bump my starting times by about an hour to have more room to wiggle.