Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Erased....wasn't good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
erased was alright, it had some neat moments and occasionally did interesting stuff stylistically (and the ed is really really good and done by the same guy as the occultic;nine op) but i don't think it deserves to be nominated for the best drama of the year over a show like euphonium s2 that consistently knocks it out of the park in pretty much every possible way. if i'd pick anything to nominate it for it really would be its op and ed, lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 21, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

erased was fine, but i feel like it mostly rode a wave of hype for being serious and having a bunch of visual flair that it kinda pulled out of it's rear end and was pretty on the nose (everything is film/a movie). this year has had plenty of stuff that was better or more interesting than it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ah, that's fair! I agree - I need to sit and finish watching it, and it was good, but there was a lot of really, really good anime this year.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel like the op and ed were both the big parts of erased that actually did have lots of cool visual flair, and the ed is just genuinely fantastic on its own and it's weird to me that of all the things to nominate erased for, the ed wasn't one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPABBsm9ND4

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Colonel posted:

the ed is just genuinely fantastic on its own and it's weird to me that of all the things to nominate erased for, the ed wasn't one of them

there should just be a category for composer then, and kajiura can win for the ED and Zaregoto's OST

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I respect the decisions of my good friends at Kabaneriroll and think their mascot Kabaneri-Hime is super kawaii.

However Megumin and Explosions is more of a couple than Satoru and Kaya.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

dogsicle posted:

erased was fine, but i feel like it mostly rode a wave of hype for being serious and having a bunch of visual flair that it kinda pulled out of it's rear end and was pretty on the nose (everything is film/a movie). this year has had plenty of stuff that was better or more interesting than it.

I'd agree that Erased rode a wave of hype it didn't entirely deserve in the end, but I'd say that the hype was more because the show started out so strongly as opposed to anything else. The first four or so episodes were absolutely brilliant, and that really got everybody talking. It was just a shame that it all got a bit worse from there.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
It's also weird that with so many Kiznaiver nominations in there, it's not among the choices for best OP when the OP was probably the best part of Kiznaiver.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

esselfortium posted:

It's also weird that with so many Kiznaiver nominations in there, it's not among the choices for best OP when the OP was probably the best part of Kiznaiver.

Yeah. And I have no idea how Nico got a nom when it's completely unclear that she's best even in her own show.

I'd say Erased is still pretty great though, and I'd put it in my personal top three for the year. The ending is kinda dumb but I liked pretty much everything else. (I'm probably a bit more forgiving of plot issues than most, though.)

I suspect it was slightly overhyped and is now suffering from a bit of a contrarian backlash.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Agronox posted:

I suspect it was slightly overhyped and is now suffering from a bit of a contrarian backlash.

I'd say less of a contrarian backlash and more that just so many great shows have aired since and it's kind of gotten drowned out a bit. The fact that the ending was just sort of middling and that's the thing most people remember looking back doesn't help.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The nominees for Most Heartwarming Scene are good.

The rest is garbage lol wtf how could they be this bad

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Saint Young Men is getting a TV drama!

And it's being written/directed by Yuichi Fukuda! (The Hero Yoshihiko, Blue Blazes, Nietzsche At The Convenience Store, the upcoming Gintama movie)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/811325109499785217

But still no Hyouka. :(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Was Amagi that popular?

Would it win the crown of "KyoAni's Thirstiest Series?"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Agronox posted:

Was Amagi that popular?

Would it win the crown of "KyoAni's Thirstiest Series?"

no because maid dragon is airing next season

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the other problem with the erased ending is you can watch the movie/drama(?) or read the manga and get different, arguably better endings. only familiar with the manga's but it seems dumb to me that their multimedia push included giving each version of the story a different ending.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They should mash them all together like Clue

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

the other problem with the erased ending is you can watch the movie/drama(?) or read the manga and get different, arguably better endings. only familiar with the manga's but it seems dumb to me that their multimedia push included giving each version of the story a different ending.

Wait really? Guess I'll move the manga up a few notches in the Backlog.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

a kitten posted:

Wait really? Guess I'll move the manga up a few notches in the Backlog.

Yeah, I will do the same. Everyone seems to agree that the manga was as good as or better than the show...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Agronox posted:

Yeah, I will do the same. Everyone seems to agree that the manga was as good as or better than the show...

They usually are

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GorfZaplen posted:

They usually are

*pops into room*

Not Utena!

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

The Colonel posted:

*pops into room*

Not Utena!

I would argue the same for HxH. It looks like Togashi drew all of his poo poo on a napkin.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Initial D lost some of its charm when I went from watching engine-roaring, eurobeats-pumping anime to reading the manga.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
For those of you thinking about checking out Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist, I'll explain things a bit. I'm a huge fan of the manga (it's one of the few that I actually follow every month), and the anime is a bit convoluted.

When the first season of the anime came out, the manga only had about 15 chapters. It had basically gotten through the 'introduce the main characters' and 'okay this is the main threat of the series, but you're just getting a taste of the problem, more will come later' parts. It was basically enough manga for maybe 8-9-ish episodes tops. (this is a monthly manga btw) The 'Impure King' arc (which is what the new season of the anime is about) had just started in the manga, and it's a pretty long story arc, so there was no way in hell the manga would be done in time for that arc to be included in the first season of the anime.

So, the anime made it's own content up. And it was absolute poo poo. Like, there is a noticeable difference in quality between the stuff from the original manga and the stuff that is anime-only. On top of that, I guess the anime studio thought that there would never be another season or something, because they 'solved' the main problem of the series with an anime-only ending. I say 'solved' because it was an unbelievably bad ending that actually went against the message that the manga has been carrying throughout the story.

But, good news! The season 2 previews have made it abundantly clear that we will be ignoring at least part of the anime-only stuff (without spoiling it too much, they made a certain character into a demon in the first season, but in the previews for season 2 that character is very obviously not a demon). How much of it, we don't know yet. But I'm sure they're not going to start us over at the beginning of the manga again, since this is being advertised as the 'Impure King' arc and all. I also think it's only going to be 12 episodes? Which is just about enough time to cover the Impure King arc.

tl;dr the first season of the anime was good, got bad, but now they're possibly ignoring the bad parts. If you get confused, reading the manga up to the start of the Impure King arc would not be a bad idea, since it starts like 15-ish chapters in. and Blue Exorcist is a surprisingly good manga, it just took a little bit of time to find its footing. The Impure King arc (in the manga) is closer to what the rest of the series is like too, so if you didn't like the first season of the anime but end up liking this one, you'll probably enjoy the manga. It just had a really slow start, one that was not at all helped by the fact that the series is a monthly series.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched the first season of Blue Exorcist up to the point when everything went off the rails and jumped over to the manga from there and probably had a better experience for not watching til the end. It's been a long time since I read any of it though so for once I wouldn't mind a bit of recap or something to start off with, because I barely remember who everyone is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New Demi-chan preview and I am more hype than ever. Dullahan spooky noises are good and strong arms teacher's voice suits his strong arms.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i like the demi-chan manga a lot but that looks real skippable

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I read Demi Chan like a week ago without even realising it was getting an anime next season. I'm glad though cause it was good and now i'm going to watch it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEm1yzc5Brk

more ridiculous cooking eps confirmed??

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parallax posted:

that looks real skippable

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't loving do this to me, Hirata.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I watched the first season of Blue Exorcist up to the point when everything went off the rails and jumped over to the manga from there and probably had a better experience for not watching til the end. It's been a long time since I read any of it though so for once I wouldn't mind a bit of recap or something to start off with, because I barely remember who everyone is.

I actually went back and checked, and these are the episodes that come from the manga: 1-5, 7-10, and 12-17. There's filler within the episodes too, but at least part of each of those episodes is manga material.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ah, the tiger and bunny cafe

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

in 2017.... turbans finally get their deserved anime representation

https://u.nya.is/ghhldz.mp4

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Are you saying Tsuritama wasn't good enough?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

not big enough

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

not big enough

through muffled giggles that's what she said

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for the 5 others that watched it... psi saiki is getting a second season
https://twitter.com/saikikusuo_PR/status/813068159301271553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw