Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

mishaq posted:

if teams can just provide that there's no reason to use slack

this requires betting on the ability of microsoft to make a product that doesn't suck and has broad integration support

so

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

this requires betting on the ability of microsoft to make a product that doesn't suck and has broad integration support

so

lol

yeah lol

but slack wanting to charge $13/head/month just to integrate with active directory is going (hopefully) put enough pressure to make teams usable so large organizations can just use it as part of their O365 subscriptions

because lol @ paying 5 figgies a month for a loving chat application

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
discord for businesses

John Fuckface
- currently playing Microsoft Excel 2016

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

dragon enthusiast posted:

discord for businesses

John Fuckface

literally had a discussion with a coworker today about how discord for business could actually be good

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

I put a number of stupid webhook capable apps and baked in "connectors" or other things that I have report through the bot framework in my Teams chat just fine :shrug:

"@shitbot new ticket `obj coffee $brew`"

and then coffee is made

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dragon enthusiast posted:

discord for businesses

John Fuckface

Yeah but what's Tom Shitfucker up to

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah but what's Tom Shitfucker up to

Tom Shitfucker
- currently playing Cisco WebEx Client (Presenter Mode)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

AAB posted:

I put a number of stupid webhook capable apps and baked in "connectors" or other things that I have report through the bot framework in my Teams chat just fine :shrug:

"@shitbot new ticket `obj coffee $brew`"

and then coffee is made

hm. we don't have it enabled so i can't try it out.

tbh i think that's a mark against it - no way to try it out unless you have o365 setup already

abraham linkedin posted:

literally had a discussion with a coworker today about how discord for business could actually be good

twitch.tv but for business

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

uncurable mlady posted:

Tom Shitfucker
- currently playing Cisco WebEx Client (Presenter Mode)

gently caress, i hope he enables his stream, i tried to join the meeting but I couldnt connect :shrug:

uncurable mlady posted:

tbh i think that's a mark against it - no way to try it out unless you have o365 setup already

finally, a screen sharing solution that isnt laggy as poo poo and can still show the presenter

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i wanna see someone loving rocketjump a pptx because seeing their faces is pretty gd boring and the cisco system we have is wet rear end on a cold day

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

trick jumping my sales pitch

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lmaoooooooooooo we use office communicator 2007 (yes really) and as part of ~unannounced backend changes~ to support our move to skype for biz next year they've just quietly killed multiple-person screen shares

the person in charge of this doesnt think its big enough of a deal to tell anyone :argh:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
PM to vendor: "We had this critical outage yesterday... you guys are Oracle experts so you may recognize this term: kernel panic?"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Iridium posted:

PM to vendor: "We had this critical outage yesterday... you guys are Oracle experts so you may recognize this term: kernel panic?"

Col. Panic is Gen. Protection Fault's right hand man

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Podima posted:

lmaoooooooooooo we use office communicator 2007 (yes really)

lol

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

maniacdevnull posted:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

Heh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

maniacdevnull posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BiohazrD posted:

Yeah this is why nobody uses Box since Microsoft added onedrive for business to o365

Lol

I don't know anyone who uses box but I know a bunch of people who use one drive and lol @ the idea that a company is gonna pay for whatever box is when onedrive comes w/ their 365 account

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

teams runs on top of 365 so its a requirement. time 2 replace ur old on premise stuff w/ 365, imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I'm gonna move everyone 2 teams some time early next year. good bye 2 skype 4 b.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I have a few customers using O365 globally and 0 using Box.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shaggar posted:

I don't know anyone who uses box but I know a bunch of people who use one drive and lol @ the idea that a company is gonna pay for whatever box is when onedrive comes w/ their 365 account

they might want to sync shared files to their computers without having to pick from 1 of 4 different applications. the state of the desktop apps for onedrive should be a source of extreme embarrassment.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

you also can't have groups on onedrive for business

like I can't create a folder and set it up to be shared to 3-4 people. it's hilariously bad

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
we had a few consultants come in today from some company wanting to make money on our upcoming domain + exchange + office365 integration. they had the whole room lit up with their novel ideas and how awesome O365 was...until I mentioned that I've been following the shameful history of OneDrive since it's SkyDrive days, and I asked them how they felt about the stability and ease of use of that particular app/platform.

"Well you see...you see OneDrive is basically SharePoint on the backend, and, uh, you really need a team that can tackle that. I mean, first and foremost you need a plan. A really, really solid plan for how you want to tackle the whole thing. And, uh, getting the ACLs right, and the various security pieces. Seriously, a lot of planning."

"What did you guys think of that Groove engine debacle a while back? With Sync?"

"Yeah, uh, heh, that was kind of a debacle, huh? They, uh, sort of got a black eye from that. MS, that is."

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
lol if u think twitch is lag free, it runs a 15-30 sec delay but nobody cares because they are 14 yos

also onedrive for biz is nice but the problem is ppl think it will be as easy as their home dropbox or w/e then they gently caress their stuff up bad

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Dealing with MS and their 'good enough' products is so poo poo. What is also poo poo is having a CIO who was an ex-MS executive. Conversations go like this:

1) We're putting a plan together to move to Office 365 hosted by MS
2) Everyone 'No, you can't do this!'
3) Security (me) does an assessment reviewing all security controls, etc etc, ultimate recommendation: It's poo poo (the core of which being their DLP solutions were poo poo and they went 'PCI? LOL gently caress YOU, JUST DONT BUT PCI DATA IN O365' to a credit card company. The actual suggestion was 'Just make a policy that makes it against the rules to upload PAN data', like, just a written rule in a PDF no one reads. Not an actual GPO or policy in their DLP tool. gently caress those people.
4) Other vendors make their pitch for better products which EVERYONE but the CIO was impressed with
5) CIO ignore all recommendations and says go ahead and start implementing MS

I don't even understand why, he's not getting any kick back, he also basically got fired from MS (well, 'coached out' and MS helped him get recruited elsewhere). So why kissing up to MS.

Things to get excited about:

1) It comes with free upgrades 4 lyfe*
2) Comes with Yammer. I think in total 10 people in the company used it
3) Sharepoint on prem will no longer be supported so we HAVE to move to the cloud

That was it.

* so long as you renew your contract every year, forever

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

if you're already paying for office + software assurance perpetually then yeah its cheaper

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Yammer and Nest have a few things in common, most of all their life expectancy.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
free yammer is not a bonus, it's a curse

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I don't even understand why, he's not getting any kick back, he also basically got fired from MS (well, 'coached out' and MS helped him get recruited elsewhere). So why kissing up to MS.

Because certain people only know how to do one thing one way and will force things down that path in perpetuity rather than actually learn something or explore beyond their comfort zone.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Because certain people only know how to do one thing one way and will force things down that path in perpetuity rather than actually learn something or explore beyond their comfort zone.

You mean like that time a client of mine (stock exchange) went from a mainframe to oracle for processing and Oracle waaaaaaayyy over promised and the day they switched over it died and 6 months later they tripled the number of servers and turned it in again and the traders revolted cause it was a lovely oracle Web interface so they took it offline for a year and paid oracle to make a cmd.exe interface to look EXACTLY like the mainframe interface.

Because the new CIO they hired was a sales exec from Oracle.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

You mean like that time a client of mine (stock exchange) went from a mainframe to oracle for processing and Oracle waaaaaaayyy over promised and the day they switched over it died and 6 months later they tripled the number of servers and turned it in again and the traders revolted cause it was a lovely oracle Web interface so they took it offline for a year and paid oracle to make a cmd.exe interface to look EXACTLY like the mainframe interface.

hooooooly lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

lot to process here

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

between you and that guy in the gray forum I'm convinced that IT anywhere near the stock exchange is a hopeless pit of despair

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
my services team used yammer for a while and it was good. it provided a nice little internal user community to ask questions when our implementation folks got stuck trying to solve a customer problem (which is always because we provide zero training and also they are garbage). it eventually died out because people stopped checking it.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

between you and that guy in the gray forum I'm convinced that IT anywhere near the stock exchange is a hopeless pit of despairmoney

ftfy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BiohazrD posted:

you also can't have groups on onedrive for business

like I can't create a folder and set it up to be shared to 3-4 people. it's hilariously bad

yeah you can

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

rereading this and remembering that enterprise computing is an incestuous cesspit of idiot hellfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

we have o365 and box because we had box first and our it is bad

but to be fair who the gently caress wants to migrate all that poo poo

• Locked thread