Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
The best thing happened in one of my Allied WiTP pbems today. Well if it's real.

I was scrolling through intel reports (Sept 1942) and I noticed an awesome little gem. Kaga and Yamashiro lost to collision near Peleliu.

If it's true I've suddenly found myself with a CV advantage pretty early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
In DC:Barbarossa, how often should I put my PG's on R&R? When is a reasonable time to start switching armies to sustained offensive?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Is Operation Monsun good enough for me to abandon Silent Hunter 3 forever and finally move on to 4?

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
Chrono.gg has "The Seven Years War (1756-1763)" on sale, it has mixed reviews and I'm not even sure if it counts as a grognard game but has anyone played it? It looks somewhat interesting.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The commonly held opinion is that it's a cool idea but really poorly executed and with a terrible UI focusing more on the particulars of economics than war. I haven't played it myself though.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
A couple months ago, I noticed that I had bought Combat Mission: Shock Force a few years back, and ended up impulse buying all of the expansions on Battlefront. I've learned the basic mechanics and stuff, but I still have little idea what I'm doing in this game. Are there any good tutorials out there? It looks like a really interesting game. I've always been fascinated by grognard-y type games, but I seem to have some trouble when it comes to actually getting into them.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The simplest way is to play a mission once, fail horribly, then play it again and you will know roughly what to do. I'd recommend you do that first actually, even if it feels like cheating. Part of any game is getting a feel for the unstated rules and this will give you an idea of where enemies tend to be, how ambush points look, keyhole shots, map design philosophy, dealing with different defense plans, etc. much quicker than just playing something once and never playing it again. The missions tend to have several defensive plans the AI uses for unit placement so things will generally be different enough.

As for specific advice?

-Scout with scouts , either a team you break off from an infantry unit or a dedicated scout squad. Just make sure they have binoculars and poo poo like that. Spotting can take longer than a minute so use your time.
-Then use a vehicle to scout, either something disposable like a humvee or something so strong it can shrug off p much anything like an abrams. In CM you can have things that only target armor so lots of stuff might not reveal themselves to your scout team.
-After that, stand back and use your superior range and blow them away. Again, it might take longer than a minute to break something, use your time.
-If you are americans (strykers) you are given enough javelins to beat any mission with them alone.

As for specific stuff like how to assault a building that is much more complicated I'd worry about that once you are more familiar with CM.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
dtkozl's advice is good. I would also maybe stay away from dense urban combat for a bit as well. The CM engine is not great at handling engagements at extremely short ranges.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Barents Sea Boomers, the 4th scenario in Northern Inferno, is super fun after having just finished Blind Man's Bluff (which is a fantastic book). I'm really impressed with NI, it's good. I wish I would have bought it sooner because it's a great intro to CMANO.

I got drunk and bought all of the modules for Command Ops 2 because they are on sale a few nights ago. Knock On All Doors is crazy. All the scenarios are huge and crazy difficult. The new UI is goofy but the game is still fun. Apparently it's coming to Steam soon too. I'm hoping it does well, I want an eastern front module or 2.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 21, 2016

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Barents Sea Boomers, the 4th scenario in Northern Inferno, is super fun after having just finished Blind Man's Bluff (which is a fantastic book). I'm really impressed with NI, it's good. I wish I would have bought it sooner because it's a great intro to CMANO.

Oh that's good to hear, I bought it but hadn't started yet. I should've started with NI!

I struggled in the beginning, but before I found Baloogan's videos I started watching the SquattingFrog "Under African Skies" lets-play, downloaded the scenario, and played along. It's finally coming together, and that scenario especially is outstanding and was a hell of a (complex) intro to the game.

I noticed it wasn't part of the Community Pack, so I figure there must be other missions buried away in the Matrix forums that are worth something. Are there any specific missions I should be looking at?

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 21, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Theres alot of gems buried in the matrix forum, and bazillions of scens in the steam workshop

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

If you want to learn how to play Command Ops 2, look at this poo poo. Look at that poo poo regardless because it's one of the best AARs I've ever seen.

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/command-ops-2-return-to-st-vith-tutorial-aar-part-1-pages-1-30.85/

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

im_sorry posted:

A couple months ago, I noticed that I had bought Combat Mission: Shock Force a few years back, and ended up impulse buying all of the expansions on Battlefront. I've learned the basic mechanics and stuff, but I still have little idea what I'm doing in this game. Are there any good tutorials out there? It looks like a really interesting game. I've always been fascinated by grognard-y type games, but I seem to have some trouble when it comes to actually getting into them.

Check out this dude's site:

http://battledrill.blogspot.com/

There's a bunch of little tutorials on different military maneuvers and whatnot, like squad attack drills, played out in Combat Mission.

There's also a nice video series on Combat Mission tactics, and it serves as a good tutorial on the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ6dDlqye9Q

These all use the WW2 games, but Shock Force isn't really all that different, and is probably easier than the new ones. It's fun to play as the Americans and blow the gently caress out of everything. The most important thing to know is that troops are always most vulnerable when moving, and the more you shoot, the fewer casualties you will take. Just use lots of mindless area targeting and shoot and blow up everything, while pausing now and then to let your men look around. Then start shooting again. If you're advancing, always be shooting. This is especially true for Shock Force.

The Americans get so much ridiculous firepower and tons of ammo, and every single infantry squad gets its own Stryker or Bradley loaded with missiles and grenades and thousands of rounds of extra small arms ammo, so you usually never have to worry about running out, unlike the WW2 games. You want the ground in front of you completely swept by your fire, and as you advance, you will find empty enemy positions you didn't even know were there, filled with dead bodies. Some of the Shock Force scenarios can be completed with zero casualties by doing that.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hearts and minds!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Forums Terrorist posted:

hearts and minds!

More like :rock:~Shock and Awe~:rock:

:patriot::911:

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Forums Terrorist posted:

hearts and minds!

2 to the heart, 1 to the mind

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Combat Mission Shock Force gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPGyt3ZDv2Y

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there any good western front WW2 games other than War in the West?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

COOL CORN posted:

Do you need the whole front? Command Ops and its expansions (and I assume Command Ops 2 from everything I've heard) are excellent but they're more like the corps level for specific battles like Market Garden or the Bulge.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

battle of the bugle is on sale for like 5 dollars on steam right now if you want something operational.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

Battles in Normandy and Battles in Italy are top-notch.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Seconding this.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

gradenko_2000 posted:

That they are still both 20 dollars makes me crazy every sale.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Command Ops 2 is on sale right now. Here's a link to the base client which is free, it has 3 scenarios and you buy modules which contain 12+ scenarios each. There are 6 or 7 modules available.

https://store.lnlpublishing.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=193

The last one released on Matrix.com (CO Battles from the Bulge) is extremely good, probably my favorite wargame. They did some wonky poo poo with the sequel. When it was first released it felt like a patched version of Command Ops Battles from the Bulge, which I already owned, and to top it off they decided to charge for the same scenarios included with the Matrix version. I wrote it off until a this current sale.

Now that it's been out for a while it's improved quite a lot. The AI is much better all around, the janky new UI actually does streamline a lot of stuff once you wrap your head around it, and they've added some neat features that make command and control even more interesting.

Between 3 or 4 of the modules the game covers drat near the entire Battle of the Bulge, which is awesome. I bought the whole drat thing because I finished Beevor's Ardenne 1944 recently and was jonesing for more Command Ops. I played through the Race for Bastogne scenario today and it was a lot of fun.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 23, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Command Ops is a great game. Never played the 2nd edition, but the first one is one of the games I miss most on the mac. It's the only game I know of that makes you really feel like the general in command of the operation, or him and his staff. You organise your subordinate units into a hierarchy (it starts off pre-set but you can reorg), then you command the units at any level you wish to, but the game simulates a command and cognitive load so as to discourage you from commanding each and every company. It's the antithesis of those theatre-wide games where you have to issues hundreds of commands each turn. Instead you issue your operational level commands in broad strokes and the real game is in recognising when you need to intervene and how to do it. It's a really great simulation that rewards planning, reconnaissance, organising reserves, and puts you in the shoes of a Patton or v Manstein.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I've been thinking about it for a while but you really sold me on it w that description

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

If you decide to try it out look for the tutorial video on YouTube by the developer. He explains how orders are passed down from HQ which is important if you want to do things like coordinate attacks. Force and unit delay are key as is command load and capacity. You can just issue orders to entire divisions and let the ai do the work, but the best scenarios require you to micro to some extent.

Edit: Here it is. Phone posting sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ga4p6Saiwc&feature=share

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 23, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm probably going to get Command Ops now you should get a commission for that poo poo.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

dtkozl posted:

2 to the heart, 1 to the mind

Grab 'em by the balls and their hearts and minds will follow.

(If there's ever a Combat Mission: Southeast Asia we can have "Give me your hearts and minds or I'll burn your drat huts down.")

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

I've been thinking about it for a while but you really sold me on it w that description

I have the highway to the reich strategy guide in my gmail (emailed it to myself 100 years ago because as bad as matrix's downloads are now, they used to be worse).

I read that they now give it away for free if you buy the game (I paid for it at the time). If you guys think it wouldn't be classified as :files:, I will upload a link to it. It has basically two parts, one that explains the concepts and one that guides you through one of the scenarios in the original game. It'll do an even better job on selling you on the game and give you an idea of what to expect (and the interface is supposed to be even better in Command Ops 2).

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

dtkozl posted:

As for specific stuff like how to assault a building that is much more complicated I'd worry about that once you are more familiar with CM.

There isn't really a good way, outside of tonnes of suppression. It's still the hardest thing in the game.

Most missions don't have any kind of directive about preserving stuff, so it's easier to just trash everything.

If you can play Shock Force, you can also play Black Sea, but it has a few more improvements.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Assaulting a building? No, you *never* assault a building.

You might decide to assault the settling pile of debris that *used* to be a building, though.

(I don't recall ever getting one to collapse in Shock Force, but the principle is sound.)

(They're not paying you to bring any munitions home now, are they? :black101:)

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I've been playing a tourny in red thunder and the latest map is basically a giant town so I've gotten pretty good at assaulting buildings. You are always going to take casualties but the biggest thing is breaching charges. That and smg squads.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Are there any good Viking era games that aren't CK2 or a paradox game? Honestly any sword and shield or ancient era stuff that has a tactical component a little more complicated than total war games.

In fact, turns would be a plus (not a necessity).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Mount and Blade: Warband.

Cheat to get through the dumb hack and slash first act of the game. Second act is being a lord under a king. Third act is being a king!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ZombieLenin posted:

Are there any good Viking era games that aren't CK2 or a paradox game? Honestly any sword and shield or ancient era stuff that has a tactical component a little more complicated than total war games.

In fact, turns would be a plus (not a necessity).

Vikings? Sword and shield?! TACTICAL COMPONENT??! :vince:

I know just the game for you...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Expeditions: Vikings will soon exist, and there's Great Whale Road. Neither are really grognard games though.

E; and there's Banner Saga if you don't mind playing a fantasy title

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Battle Brothers is excellent, you run a small merc company (~12 members) in a fairly harsh low fantasy world. The tactical combat is very tight and rewarding. There's a thread in games about it.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Assaulting a building? No, you *never* assault a building.

You might decide to assault the settling pile of debris that *used* to be a building, though.

(I don't recall ever getting one to collapse in Shock Force, but the principle is sound.)

(They're not paying you to bring any munitions home now, are they? :black101:)

You've played Shock Force and never blown up a building? :trumppop:

It's fun to blow up entire buildings with airstrikes and artillery, and then move in to find a dozen bodies lying in the rubble.

When assaulting buildings though, it can help to try to surround the building first (especially if it's a really big building or compound), or at least get some fire on it from multiple different angles, but that's not always practicable. When you move the assault teams in, have them stop outside the door and then give them a fire order on the building and a pause order of like 20-30 seconds before you move in. They will start shooting and chucking grenades through the windows and then storm in. And it can help to have one squad hug the walls outside the building, watching through the windows while another moves in to clear it. The more eyes you have looking, the better your chances of getting the jump on the enemy. I think that's probably the best you can do outside of blowing up the entire building, or blasting through the walls with breaching charges. You can also blast down walls with tank shells or other HE fire and the big hole will give defenders less cover and concealment.

An interesting thing about these games is that different types of buildings provide better protection than others, and their protection changes based on distance. Red Thunder is filled with lovely wooden Russian houses and barns that you can just hose down with machine gun fire and kill everyone inside, while the Normandy game is filled with strong stone buildings that are a goddamn pain in the rear end to clear without lots of explosives.

Saros posted:

Battle Brothers is excellent, you run a small merc company (~12 members) in a fairly harsh low fantasy world. The tactical combat is very tight and rewarding. There's a thread in games about it.

Yeah this game is great. It's not historical, but you build up a company of Germanic dudes that can form Viking-style shield walls with Viking-ish looking shields and axes. And then you make them fight and die horribly in hex-based, turn-based battles.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Kenzie posted:

You've played Shock Force and never blown up a building? :trumppop:

It's fun to blow up entire buildings with airstrikes and artillery, and then move in to find a dozen bodies lying in the rubble.

When assaulting buildings though, it can help to try to surround the building first (especially if it's a really big building or compound), or at least get some fire on it from multiple different angles, but that's not always practicable. When you move the assault teams in, have them stop outside the door and then give them a fire order on the building and a pause order of like 20-30 seconds before you move in. They will start shooting and chucking grenades through the windows and then storm in. And it can help to have one squad hug the walls outside the building, watching through the windows while another moves in to clear it. The more eyes you have looking, the better your chances of getting the jump on the enemy. I think that's probably the best you can do outside of blowing up the entire building, or blasting through the walls with breaching charges. You can also blast down walls with tank shells or other HE fire and the big hole will give defenders less cover and concealment.

An interesting thing about these games is that different types of buildings provide better protection than others, and their protection changes based on distance. Red Thunder is filled with lovely wooden Russian houses and barns that you can just hose down with machine gun fire and kill everyone inside, while the Normandy game is filled with strong stone buildings that are a goddamn pain in the rear end to clear without lots of explosives.

Yeah this game is great. It's not historical, but you build up a company of Germanic dudes that can form Viking-style shield walls with Viking-ish looking shields and axes. And then you make them fight and die horribly in hex-based, turn-based battles.

Downloaded. Thanks, grogoons.