Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

After the Reapers being all powerful and nothing you did could defeat them without the red/blue/green/refuse endings (which I didn't like), I kind of liked being able to push the enemy out of the various zones until Corypheus was left alone, where he then decides to childishly wipe the board by reopening the Breach, and then you defeat him and the terror would be god who sacked Haven is reduced to calling out for help to the Old Gods he renounced.

Then of course Trespasser happened and we see the consequences of having such a large and powerful organization when spies from the Qun and Solas infiltrate it easily. But even then I could still keep the Inquisition in a way I found satisfactory, reduce its size and become a peace keeping force for the Divine (in my case it's softened Leliana and she'll need all the help she can get if she wants to permentantly change the Chantry).

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lobok posted:

I honestly didn't feel like things were very urgent, though. You can write stakes that feel like they should be a big deal but if the game doesn't present them to you properly or really immerse you in them then it's hard to get very excited. The game featured lots of great zones but precisely because your adventures were so far flung and disconnected it felt like hardly any area was really important or in the thick of these big world-changing events, especially since the only sense of the world as it all connected together was simply a map on a table and because of videogame limitations keeping any particular place from being more than sparsely populated.

That's fair, different strokes I guess. I'm pretty in love with DAI in general and the stakes landed well for me, but everyone is gonna feel differently about some stuff.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I really love the world of dragon age, sure it's a mashed up pastiche of lots of other fantasy ideas, but they all work together really well.

The whole thing with magic, the Fade, demon possession, and the creation of the mage circles, the templars, and the chantry after overthrowing the magic empire of Tevinter, for example.

And how the Darkspawn tie into that, where you get the body horror of zombies mixed with the fear of a malicious alien hive mind intelligence during a blight, and the Wardens as a bulwark against that, who also are feared and hated for what they represent and the power they wield.

Mass Effect had something like that too, but then they blew it all up, the maniacs.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Arcsquad12 posted:

How stupid has TOR gotten anyways? I mean the plot was
always stupid but around the time the sith emperor defeated both the Republic and the sith with the super duper mega empire I just gave up and was happy Disney declared all this bullshit non canon.

Well he found a lot of old tech that helped him. And Star Wars treats technology like Warhammer 40k where the really old stuff is actually better due to the atrophy of knowledge. I've heard good things about it but have yet to play through it myself.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It's crazy to me that anybody would preorder this game before we even know exactly how fuckable the human companions are.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It's crazy to me that anybody would preorder this game before we even know exactly how fuckable the human companions are.

No matter how hard or skillfully you thrust, that smile will never reach her cold, dead eyes.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

AngryBooch posted:

DAINQ was never an MMO it just felt like it due to the massive areas and collection quests. It was a total over-correction from DA2's smaller scale and areas.

I thought it was based on Project Blackfoot, which was Bioware's multiplayer-only Dragon Age property before they turned it into DA3 (like what happened with DA2/Dragon Age: Exodus)?

Lobok posted:

I honestly didn't feel like things were very urgent, though. You can write stakes that feel like they should be a big deal but if the game doesn't present them to you properly or really immerse you in them then it's hard to get very excited. The game featured lots of great zones but precisely because your adventures were so far flung and disconnected it felt like hardly any area was really important or in the thick of these big world-changing events, especially since the only sense of the world as it all connected together was simply a map on a table and because of videogame limitations keeping any particular place from being more than sparsely populated.

Further to this, the stakes in the second half of Inquistion feel tangential to the main Corypheus plotline and the concepts of faith and religion Inquisition kinda wants to talk about. Too often the stakes boil down to a generic "we need more power", whatever "power" in this context actually means.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Ever human companion in Mass Effect until Traynor was bland, boring, and/or sweating depending on the Kaiden factor.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

No one wants to gently caress the humans in a Mass Effect game.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Kibayasu posted:

No one wants to gently caress the humans in a Mass Effect game.

Yeah, it's like flying all the way to Paris and then eating lunch at a Pizza Hut.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
you need something to do on your tenth playthrough

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

exquisite tea posted:

Corypheus is basically what happens when you put into practice "the galaxy doesn't need some huge persistent thread, just let me chill with my space bros" criticisms of ME. Games like these need a prime mover, if not on the galactic-destroying scale then at least very urgent to the player, so that people have something to move them from point to point in the story and don't just feel aimless.

Mass Effect: Andromeda, a personal story:

Green Space Doctor: "Ryder, you have cancer."

Ryder: "Oh poo poo! Is it bad?"

Green Space Doctor: "Yes. You have 6 months to live. If you have anything on your bucket list, now's the time to start working on it."

Ryder: *pulls sheet of paper out of pocket. it's just a long check list of alien races and whether they have a vag or a cloaca* "Thank you doctor..."

Opening Credits Roll

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

That's fair, different strokes I guess. I'm pretty in love with DAI in general and the stakes landed well for me, but everyone is gonna feel differently about some stuff.

Ultimately I had a blast with the game, to the point I was spending too long with it and looking over at my games library going "sorry guys, maybe I'll get to you eventually" but yeah, it wasn't because I was really engaged with the villain and his schemes.

Lt. Danger posted:

Further to this, the stakes in the second half of Inquistion feel tangential to the main Corypheus plotline and the concepts of faith and religion Inquisition kinda wants to talk about. Too often the stakes boil down to a generic "we need more power", whatever "power" in this context actually means.

Though amassing power was a bit more fun because my Inquisitor, while rejecting the religious explanation of her powers and position, definitely got ambitious and greedy. There's that part in Skyhold where you give the big speech to everyone and afterwards all my companions were like "great speech boss, really good, but uh... just be careful of that whole 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' thing, eh?"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda, a personal story:

Green Space Doctor: "Ryder, you have cancer."

Ryder: "Oh poo poo! Is it bad?"

Green Space Doctor: "Yes. You have 6 months to live. If you have anything on your bucket list, now's the time to start working on it."

Ryder: *pulls sheet of paper out of pocket. it's just a long check list of alien races and whether they have a vag or a cloaca* "Thank you doctor..."

Opening Credits Roll

now this is pod racing!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RPG Bucket List would finally justify dicking around with the sidequests and align with players' abject fear of advancing the main storyline.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
*herm voice* you PLAY to WIN the GAME

That's a sports ref for you nerds

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

hampig posted:

It sucked because he actually did seem pretty dangerous in the DA2 expansion when he's introduced, so it's not like they don't know how to do it. I do wonder sometimes if the key to video game villains is 'less is more'. Antagonists that are barely fleshed out like Imshael, Harbinger, or the Shadow Broker all seem more formidable than the Saren or Corypheus types who pop up like saturday morning cartoon villains to thwart you.

Those guys are really good villians for the same reason Moriarty in the first season of sherlock was really good. You don't see them very often, and in some cases you don't even know who they are, but you're still threatened by them via a layer of their people. It's more terrifying to know that someone out there is threatening you and you don't even know who they are, like the shadow broker, or that just the aftereffects of what someone is doing are life threatening, like with harbinger.

Saren was actually a pretty good villain, though, because you think "wow this guy's kind of an idiot" after awhile, but then you get to the end of the game and realize he's just a puppet for someone who's way scarier but wouldn't understand the intricacies of how society works, which is why Saren seemed like such an idiot.

Cory was fatally flawed, though, because he didn't win enough. The saturday morning cartoon villain thing is what happens when you have an ever present but never victorious villain. It's one of the reasons there's always a point in every final fantasy where the bad guy wins decisively, in spite of the heroes being there. Sephiroth was super edgelord and dumb and crazy, but he was never not threatening.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Lobok posted:

RPG Bucket List would finally justify dicking around with the sidequests and align with players' abject fear of advancing the main storyline.

Would be funny if they made it so there story automatically advances after a certain amount of sidequests so you could never truly 💯 it without several playthroughs

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Lobok posted:

JOURNAL

Main Quest:
[X] Visit Doctor Spacemen
[X] Get Second Opinion
[ ] Begin Chemo

Side Quests:
[X] Find True Love
[X] Discover a cure for AIDS
[X] Run a marathon
[X] Win a Nobel Prize
[ ] Become a published author
[X] Climb Mt Everest
[X] Don't die while climbing Mt Everest
[ ] Walk on the Moon
[X] See grandkids graduate from college
[X] Invent cold fusion
[X] Catch 'em all!
[X] Win the lottery
[X] Travel to every country
[ ] Collect 100 macguffins
[X] Become US President

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Would be funny if they made it so there story automatically advances after a certain amount of sidequests so you could never truly 💯 it without several playthroughs

Totally agree! You have to think about what you really want to do with your time left, especially since your list would keep growing or there would be things you need to do for other people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Because you chose to skip chemo treatment to instead have sex with a blue alien spacebabe, not only has your condition rapidly deteriorated, but an entire station of space orphans will die. You're history's greatest monster, Mr. Ryder.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I really liked that you could die if you tried to have sex with the wrong person (Morinth)

They need more sex traps like that

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Zzulu posted:

I really liked that you could die if you tried to have sex with the wrong person (Morinth)

It's too bad she's basically not in the sequel, I liked her character.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

They kind of leaned too hard on Morinth being an evil psycho vampire such that nobody would morally choose to save her over Samara. I always thought that mission should have ended in a "gently caress you goody two-shoes" moment where if you interfere with Samara killing her at all, Morinth gains the upper hand and kills her. Supporting Morinth is totally nonsensical in the way that choice is presented.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zzulu posted:

"My daughter's partners all end up mentally obliterated after being with her. Her condition makes her a black widow. We have to stop her."

Days later:

"Oh no, I had sex with Morinth and now I'm dead. I fell for this dastardly trap! How could I have known!"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
IM COMMANDER loving SHEPARD IM SURE I CAN TAKE IT

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zzulu posted:

IM COMMANDER loving SHEPARD IM SURE I CAN TAKE IT

I mean everything else so far suggests that Shepard can kill/bone his way out of anything so it must be quite a shock that Morinth is not part of that

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My enhanced cyborg body was destined for this

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Would have been cool if on that Ardat-Yakov monastery mission, Morinth could accompany you instead of just Samara + that other asari lady. I don't think Morinth was ever supposed to be anything except a gimmick character though, they went out of their way to make saving her a pointlessly cruel and psychotic choice.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Would have been cool if on that Ardat-Yakov monastery mission, Morinth could accompany you instead of just Samara + that other asari lady. I don't think Morinth was ever supposed to be anything except a gimmick character though, they went out of their way to make saving her a pointlessly cruel and psychotic choice.

Well she was an ageless serial killer who devoured her victim's souls to sustain herself with no remorse what so ever. How did you want them to sugar coat that?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Trast posted:

Well she was an ageless serial killer who devoured her victim's souls to sustain herself with no remorse what so ever. How did you want them to sugar coat that?

She's also real drat powerful and feeding her Samara makes her even moreso. It's like having Jason Voorhees on your side, sure he's killed a lot of teenagers but the dude is unfuckinstoppable.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

exquisite tea posted:

I liked how in ME2 Samara very clearly, and several times during conversations with her, tells you that there are only 3 Ardat-Yakshi in existence and those 3 are all her daughters.
Then 6 months later in ME3 there is suddenly a whole monastery stuffed full of them. I mean that place was huge and had way more than 3 inhabitants.
Hmmm.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Helith posted:

I liked how in ME2 Samara very clearly, and several times during conversations with her, tells you that there are only 3 Ardat-Yakshi in existence and those 3 are all her daughters.
Then 6 months later in ME3 there is suddenly a whole monastery stuffed full of them. I mean that place was huge and had way more than 3 inhabitants.
Hmmm.

To be fair, the monastery was meant to be a closely guarded secret. Samara wouldn't necessarily have a reason to spill the beans on it at the time.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Nah, they straight up ret-conned it between games. I mean saying that Samara was keeping their numbers hidden is a good excuse in retrospect but her conversations on the Normandy and during her missions in 2 show that the original idea about Ardat-Yakshi was to have the only ones around be Samara's daughters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It could've even been an interesting character moment if you bring up the magnitude of that lie and that she kept lying even after she supposedly trusted Shepard.

But I'm guessing they just forgot?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

It could've even been an interesting character moment if you bring up the magnitude of that lie and that she kept lying even after she supposedly trusted Shepard.

But I'm guessing they just forgot?

No, they just wanted banshee's to be something "cool."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

The first Dead Rising did this, and it was actually liberating once I realized there was no way to do it all first time. Took the pressure off loving up or ducking around.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't remember Samara saying there were 'only 3' Yakshis, just that all of her daughters were them.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Multiple people on the Citadel in ME2 talk about the monastery and know about Ardat-Yakshi. There's no retcon, Samara just doesn't tell you the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Drifter posted:

I don't remember Samara saying there were 'only 3' Yakshis, just that all of her daughters were them.

There's a conversation option with her when she gives you the mission where she says something along the lines of "I have 3 children, there are 3 Ardat-Yakshi in existence. It is as it sounds"
I did those missions yesterday so it stuck out as an inconsistency.
It's a minor thing but as we were talking about them it brought it to mind.
I think the retcon is actually better as it makes sense that there would be more than just 3 of them around, that would make them too rare and 'special'.