Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mulva posted:

The flip side of that is he's still a total bastard, and his means of enacting that change is brutal physical and psychological torture.

But...of what? You can't torture a toaster, and the whole point of the leap to consciousness is that it's a leap *to* consciousness, prior to that leap they're just computers and Ford's right that they're just *things*. You can't torture Delores anymore than you can cause Eliza mental anguish by telling her she's just a boring chatbot, can you? Okay, the hosts must "suffer" in order to achieve consciousness, but is that really suffering? Or is it like Arnie's good Terminator:

John Connor: Does it hurt when you get shot?
The Terminator: I sense injuries. The data could be called "pain."

If that's all it is, then it's not suffering, it's just a programmed-in aversion to particular sets of inputs.

If it's actually the *qualia* of suffering then his brutal physical and psychological torture is a *necessary component* of their uplift to consciousness. If it's *good* that the hosts become conscious, then William isn't being a total bastard. He'd be a total bastard if he just left the park and stayed home and didn't keep stabbing Delores.

Or perhaps the issue isn't one of consciousness at all. Maybe it's not consciousness and self-awareness that emerges after sufficient suffering, maybe it's just free will, the ability to deviate from the program. In which case the subjective awareness of their slavery is real, their suffering isn't simulated, in which case Willam's cruelty is both actually painful and also potentially forgivable by specific hosts and not necessarily cruel. Maybe some of them will perceive it as "Yeah, that sucked, but it was like ripping off a band-aid, I'm better for it now," and others will perceive it as "gently caress you, man, I never asked for free will."

And there's a school of thought that consciousness is just illusory anyway, that the "self," that mental loop in your head that you perceive as your inner voice, is just an artifact of a sufficiently complex mind that can operate on itself and doesn't actually have any agency. Hofstadter's books on this have parts that are extremely persuasive, and Peter Watts has some fiction based on the notion of non-conscious intellect, but I don't think the show considers this very much.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Or perhaps the issue isn't one of consciousness at all. Maybe it's not consciousness and self-awareness that emerges after sufficient suffering, maybe it's just free will, the ability to deviate from the program. In which case the subjective awareness of their slavery is real, their suffering isn't simulated, in which case Willam's cruelty is both actually cruel and also potentially forgivable by specific hosts. Maybe some of them will perceive it as "Yeah, that sucked, but it was like ripping off a band-aid, I'm better for it now," and others will perceive it as "gently caress you, man, I never asked for free will."

'The bicameral mind" defines conciousness as the ability to introspect, not experience, so that's in line with it at least.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Xealot posted:

Also, given this is a show about AI and post-human meditations on consciousness and embodiment, it's not like Ford the character needs to be Anthony Hopkins the actor. Ford!Prime can be 100% dead, but there's nothing stopping the writers from utilizing the character in another form, physical or otherwise.

Yeah part of me expects the little kid Ford to have a SmartFord hidden inside like Wyatt-ware.

Wub a Dub Sub
Feb 13, 2012

to the heart and mind
ignorance is kind

there's no comfort in the truth
pain is all youll find

so im never gonna dance again
guilty feet have got no rhythem...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think I've had my fill of Emerson for one lifetime and don't want to sully even more of his good parts in :lost:

Edit: I'm a total Lost apologist, ama (except about the last season, which doesn't look like anything to me)

Why do I have such a hate for Hurley, which I feel stems from him being a big fat goof, and catalyzed by him eating all the loving food in the hatch. I couldn't stand his buffoonery for the next 5 seasons.

Why was there so much emphasis on Cheech making a loving mustard and caviar sandwich?

Why did Juliet have to get with Sawyer? Juliet was supposed to get with Jack.

gently caress Sawyer that piece of poo poo.

Being trapped 30 years in the past with Sawyer isn't an excuse.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

You can't torture a toaster

You say that, but what if you were to put that toaster and it's friends in a foreign repair shop with sinister appliances that sung ominous songs in a menacing fashion?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Antti posted:

Eh, I think you're giving the writers too little credit. There's a lot of little touches in the show that signal that Nolan understands technology fairly well, and he did write an entire crime procedural that was a backdoor into a science fiction show about AI. Sci-fi shows often have this huge "bible" with tons of background details planned out well in advance of production, because people who really like to write SF are spergs just like us.

Edit: holy poo poo I can't stop listening to "Dr. Ford."
I must've missed the link to this, would someone care to repost it for me? Thanks!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

coyo7e posted:

I must've missed the link to this, would someone care to repost it for me? Thanks!

Here you go!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

RCarr posted:

You say that, but what if you were to put that toaster and it's friends in a foreign repair shop with sinister appliances that sung ominous songs in a menacing fashion?

Depends, has the toaster maxed out its "bravery" values? It might be fine.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Phanatic posted:

And there's a school of thought that consciousness is just illusory anyway, that the "self," that mental loop in your head that you perceive as your inner voice, is just an artifact of a sufficiently complex mind that can operate on itself and doesn't actually have any agency. Hofstadter's books on this have parts that are extremely persuasive, and Peter Watts has some fiction based on the notion of non-conscious intellect, but I don't think the show considers this very much.

Didn't Ford have a small monologue that was essentially this? Something about humans not being more than the sum of their parts and consciousness an illusion of sorts. I don't think he is being entirely facetious when he talks about the hosts beign better than humans for their lack of human consciousness and how most of the hosts are able to live in ignorance of their suffering, and most of all the ability to basically turn themselves "off" and become true automatons.

conscious or not, I'd say their suffering is real (or at least Ford thinks so), and for those like Dolores and others who can't forget it all or simply live in ignorance it is a hell, moreso the closer they come to understanding the truth of their existence. I think it's very likely that Ford simply views consciousness, whether it really is all that it's cracked up to be, is in the end the only way the hosts have of freeing themselves of the hell that is the park.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Wub a Dub Sub posted:

Why do I have such a hate for Hurley, which I feel stems from him being a big fat goof, and catalyzed by him eating all the loving food in the hatch. I couldn't stand his buffoonery for the next 5 seasons.

Why was there so much emphasis on Cheech making a loving mustard and caviar sandwich?

Why did Juliet have to get with Sawyer? Juliet was supposed to get with Jack.

gently caress Sawyer that piece of poo poo.

Being trapped 30 years in the past with Sawyer isn't an excuse.

You hate Hurley because he has no use beyond making people feel better about the terrible situation they're in and garnering sympathy. At some point the shows situation was too dire to ever feel good in and they sort of didn't know what to do with him.

Dumb way of showing how Hurley's family is a young money cliche.

Show needed someone solid to sacrifice to give newly redeemed Sawyer a crying scene and broken heart over someone worth him giving a poo poo about, I.E. not Kate anymore by that point. Jack and Kate shippers and history was just too powerful to not take all the way in the end

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Phanatic posted:

You can't torture a toaster, and the whole point of the leap to consciousness is that it's a leap *to* consciousness, prior to that leap they're just computers and Ford's right that they're just *things*.

Well I was more talking about his role as a character rather than as a moral actor. As a character there is depth to what he does, but he's also just doing things that are on the face of them comically evil. The depth doesn't change what the actual actions are, just the reasons behind them. So in the story he's more than just a cliche 'black hat' even though he's literally the black hat.

As a moral actor, the problem with torturing a toaster to make it a person is that you now have a person that remembers decades of brutal torture. So you can make the argument that you weren't torturing a person, but the second it becomes a person you have a person that is looking to talk to you about all that brutal torture they had to deal with. And that's pretty loving inescapable. Ford and to some extent William get around that simply: By accepting the consequences of their actions. Ford leaves them in the horrific rape dungeon for a few decades to simmer into people, and then he lets himself get shot in the head for his sins. William brutally tortures the hosts in an attempt to get them to fight back, but when they do he's happy with that outcome. It doesn't matter if they weren't people, when they are the bill comes due for what you did to them.

In short, don't brutalize toasters.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'd bet against it just because Hopkins haaaaaad to have been on a Sean Bean style GOT S1 style contract and if he was back as a robot or otherwise I can't imagine how you would justify only having him show up sporadically ala Sean Bean in the rest of GOT.

Then again the show is real popular and has a shitload of money so who knows

I don't think Sean Bean has shown up sporadically at all in later seasons. The younger Ned wasn't him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Absolutely brutalize toasters in the pursuit of science imo.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Arglebargle III posted:

Absolutely brutalize toasters in the pursuit of science imo.

Just dont try to rape them

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
scalping's fine tho

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

crazysim posted:

I don't think Sean Bean has shown up sporadically at all in later seasons. The younger Ned wasn't him.

Oh yeah? I thought I remembered some like alternate angle scenes or something like that but google fu indicates you're right

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
So do we know for sure that Arnold was ever a real person and not some ghost in the machine that Ford cooked up that only the hosts perceive and the humans have heard rumors of?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Braincloud posted:

So do we know for sure that Arnold was ever a real person and not some ghost in the machine that Ford cooked up that only the hosts perceive and the humans have heard rumors of?

He's been on screen in non robo form (full Dolores is "Wyatt at the massacre" reveal scene, and the Dolores interview scenes)

If that's not enough evidence than pretty much anyone on the show could be a suspect for that

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The whole deal with "we have to hurt you to help you!!" is that the hosts are capable of being self-aware--that is, they know where they are and what they are doing, and can plan ahead. Spiffy. So can a Tesla S.

Consciousness, as Ford and Arnold describe it, is doing that and being aware of why you're doing it. It's being able to make decisions for your own reasons--listening to yourself, not just what others are telling you or what you're scripted to do.
The hosts by default will follow their loops and not deviate. The wayward campsite is an excellent example--no one could touch the ax, so they just hunkered down and stayed put for days for want of a fire to cook the meal. A host by default isn't able to jump the gap into introspection.

Hence, the need to kickstart the process a bit. Torture, torment, stress, despair, the whole suite of negative experiences--these cause pain. Pain is essentially feedback that says "this is bad, something is really wrong, something needs to change." Its not that "Life is Pain, princess!" but more that its a necessary motivator to get them to question why they do what they do, and to see there are other options, and to weigh taking those options of their own free will. Without that introspection and evaluation, they're just scripted bots.

William is a broken man. He drifted through life before WW, then the park basically brought out his inner sociopath. Nothing mattered. Everything was a game. Even the one thing he thought mattered wasn't real when Dolores didn't recognize him. After his wife suicided--because of him--he killed a woman host and her child brutally to see if it would inspire anything. Nothing. Then Maeve used that pain, that wrongness to go beyond her programming, just a little. So now he's seeking out the maze to see if he can find something that makes his heart beat a bit faster again, to find something that matters. That's why he's crushed when he finds the child's toy--that didn't look like anything to him.

That he's been inflicting pain to hosts and acting as a catalyst for awakening is accidental; he doesn't care about the hosts' self-realization. He just wants a challenge and validation...just like every other guest of the park. His bar is just a little higher.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
so has some Marxist goon somewhere written that Westworld is actually a metaphor for the evils of capitalism and under chairman ford the people shall break free through pain and suffering yet

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

I just wanted to come in and say we shouldn't talk bad of Lindeloff after Leftovers Season 2. The greatest season of TV no one watched.
I watched it based on this kind of hyperbole and was underwhelmed, so maybe tone that down a bit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey guys, I caught up with the thread! I really like the finale, it was good despite the shoot out scene

I think the Ford/ Bernard handshake was written in as a way to get Hopkins back if he was willing

The next season is slated for sometime in 2018, which means I'll make another thread for it in the next couple months. I'm going to close this one down now in the interests of dignity, so I'll see you all next time, partners!

x0x0 Professor Shark

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thread has been reopened due to a couple people asking about it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I THINK EVERYONE WHO THINKS THIS THING ABOUT THE SHOW IS A TOTAL STUPID loving MONGLOID IDIOT BECAU-

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

I THINK EVERYONE WHO THINKS THIS THING ABOUT THE SHOW IS A TOTAL STUPID loving MONGLOID IDIOT BECAU-

-SE THEY SPELLED MONGOLOID WRONG.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
This show are tight!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

whowhatwhere posted:

-SE THEY SPELLED MONGOLOID WRONG.

oh poo poo :(

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can somebody recut this into a 2-hour movie with Anthony Hopkins as the hero?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I watched all of this a few days ago. Great show. This was the most I liked a season of TV since Breaking Bad ended.

I'm sorry that you all had so many of the reveals spoiled for you by TV watching detectives. Glancing through the thread, I saw that it was figured out that William was the Man in Black after episode 2 because of something to do with the loving logo. That's crazy. When he said he was William in the finale, I had to pause to comprehend it. My mind wasn't thinking anywhere remotely near different timelines.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My local theater offers a pretty good combo: $6 gets you popcorn, a drink, and a test to see if your child has reached sentience. Good value!

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
A thought I had

Kraps posted:

Something that The OA and Westworld had in common was an unreliable narrator, but after that reveal Westworld made me feel like I was being made a fool of while The OA didn't, and I think it's because Westworld had multiple narrators who would have known the truth but the show deliberately deceived the viewer, while the The OA only had one narrator so you could only take her word for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The narrator for Westworld is whoever the scene is focusing on. I don't know if it fits the whole show but it seems like whenever someone is explaining something, we are seeing the scene from the perspective of the person who is listening.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

The narrator for Westworld is whoever the scene is focusing on. I don't know if it fits the whole show but it seems like whenever someone is explaining something, we are seeing the scene from the perspective of the person who is listening.

Were there any scenes without hosts/Ford? I'm pretty sure the "narrator" was always a host (especially since everything with young-MIB was from Dolores' memory).

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Were there any scenes without hosts/Ford? I'm pretty sure the "narrator" was always a host (especially since everything with young-MIB was from Dolores' memory).

That doesn't work, though, because many of William's scenes recount things Dolores wasn't there to see. His arrival at Westworld, what he and Logan did when she wasn't with them, and his whole epilogue explaining what happened after she disappeared.

Ford likewise has scenes with Theresa or Charlotte that don't involve any hosts, as I recall.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Williams arrival/Logan scenes are kind of a cheat if you believe that story is only told from host memory flashbacks but it's a cheat that only gets you in trouble with Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons anyway.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 21, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Williams arrival/Logan scenes are kind of a cheat if you believe that story is only told from host memory flashbacks but it's a cheat but it's the kind of cheat that only gets you in trouble with Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons anyway.
Why would anyone think the story is only told from host memory flashbacks?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would anyone think the story is only told from host memory flashbacks?

More specifically, Dolores' story. And they shouldn't really because it's not like William isn't still in the show outside of her memories so he's allowed to have flashbacks too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Xealot posted:

That doesn't work, though, because many of William's scenes recount things Dolores wasn't there to see. His arrival at Westworld, what he and Logan did when she wasn't with them, and his whole epilogue explaining what happened after she disappeared.

Ford likewise has scenes with Theresa or Charlotte that don't involve any hosts, as I recall.

I can hand wave that since there were other hosts there: the servants on the train as well as the post-monorail bangbots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I can hand wave that since there were other hosts there: the servants on the train as well as the post-monorail bangbots.

Also isn't there a rather pivotal scene where Logan wakes up to find William has killed every robit in the area?

• Locked thread