Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The extra weight might make it more stable if bumped. So wood is not better in any way that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Aargh posted:

How is wood better than carbon fibre for tripods exactly?

Better knobfeel.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A metal tripod will act like a set of large antenna gathering electromagnetic noise. This will cause your photographs to have reduced contrast and a washed out look. A wooden tripod results in your photographs having much better clarity. Also make sure you use on of our £200 unidirectional usb cables when downloading your photographs from the camera to ensure extra vibrant colours.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pablo Bluth posted:

Also make sure you use on of our £200 unidirectional usb cables when downloading your photographs from the camera to ensure extra vibrant colours.

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

UNIdirectional cables?! I don't think so. If you use a unidirectional cable, sure the pictures go from the camera to your computer, but then how does the empty space go from your computer to the camera, smart guy? Pretty soon your camera would just fill up with pictures, because you didn't replace them with empty space from the computers hard-drive. Omnidirectional cables are what you need.

I swear, people learn how to press a shutter button, and suddenly think they're the next Krockwell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Piss off scrub, do you even know how flash memory works? The camera is literally using electricity to shock atoms in the SD card to indicate a 1 or a 0. What Sandisk doesn't want you to know though is that there is a "ghost" effect at play.. the atoms remember the original value and if you try to write new data on top of it the storage "averages" the old with the new, resulting in low contrast photos. You can compensate for this in Lightroom up to a point by cranking up the saturation, but you still have to live with owning originals that aren't accurate depictions of the scene as you visited it.

You really need to be using a brand new SD card with each shoot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

You really need to be using a brand new SD card with each shoot.

I think Dakana's grandmother fully believed this for a while. She'd fill up the memory card on her P&S and buy a new card. :3:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A photograph of a person captures a piece of that person's soul.

Therefore

Deleting a photo from a memory card deletes a piece of a person's soul, you soulless monster

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes but you're actually creating soul when you copy it to your computer, back it up to your local backup drive, and then upload it later on to glacier. Then you upload the edited version to flickr, meaning you have X*3 amount of their soul (don't forget to subtract some soul if you slap a stupid watermark on the flickr export).

No one will say no to that, that's free soul!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Apparently, only the best photographers have this tattoo. It shows their passion and dedication to never loving stopping down, and always blowing focus because their DOF is best measured in millimeters.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

f64 would look like a butthole

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

2.8? weak, try 1.2. gotta get a slice of the cheek in focus for portraits

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

drat son, 2.8 isn't even that bokelicious. Must be really proud of his 24-70 or something.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I'm just surprised the text and aperture aren't at a 45 degree angle, considering how much they love the Dutch... angles.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It was a Portal tat converted

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Karl Barks posted:

2.8? weak, try 1.2. gotta get a slice of the cheek in focus for portraits

Pah. try 0.7 to shoot a few dudes in old-timey costumes lit by candle light.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Lenses with such fast apertures are reserved for the guy who helped NASA fake the moon landing.

Also, stupid camera aperture tats should be reserved for the goatse man.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Lenses with such fast apertures are reserved for the guy who helped NASA fake the moon landing.

Also, stupid camera aperture tats should be reserved for the goatse man.

it took him a lot of work to dilate to 2.8

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I want to buy an f/0.95 lens even tho they are generally expensive trash

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone posted this in a group I follow: https://www.facebook.com/DAllenStudio

quote:

Hi and Happy New Year everyone. I am making some changes to how I do my photography. Basically I am taking a step back from trying to be a Jack of all Trades and concentrating on what I do well and want to do. Going forward the vast majority of my Photography will be high end Photography that showcases men and women at their best. This is what I do well and what I enjoy doing the most and every time I make an exception or help someone I wind up regretting it or getting taken advantage of especially with my photographing women. I am routinely asked to photograph woman who are grossly obese and yet think it's cool or OK to be seen in skin tight leggings or exercise pants that are so tight they leave absolutely nothing to the imagination even to the point of being able to see lips and yet they are totally oblivious to the people around them throwing up or engaging in violent bouts of projectile vomiting or these confused little girls who get themselves all tatted up and think they are rebelling against their parents or "doing their own thing" when the fact is these clueless ones are only damaging their own futures. Very few people I know will have anything to do with a girl who has so little self respect that she turns her body into a walking billboard and doesn't know the meaning of half of the tattoos on her. Other photographers can handle that, I chose to have absolutely nothing to do with it because I find it disgusting and it turns my stomach.
I don't have to have the money I get from my Photography, I have a thriving IT Consulting business. I do my Photography because I enjoy it and I will do what I enjoy plus I get more than enough money from the work I do for my Corporate clients.
With this said if you or anyone you know is looking for photos that show you looking your very best with little held back please feel free to call or email me. Thanks and have a great 2017.

Strong words, but when you're as good as this guy... who needs to take photos of fatties?

It's important to carve out your own style, and the style for pretty much this whole gallery is 'miss focus by about half a mile'. Not featured: 'Not understanding you need to shoot faster shutter when things move'. It's nice that he does stuff for rescues, but I hope to honest God he doesn't charge them (he has a price list, so this *is* an actual business not an amateur)

It's a real shame he watermarked this, as now I'm going to have to go to ShutterStock for 'really half assed photo of some girl behind some monitors I guess?'

This seems to be his forte: awkward looking half dressed girls, badly posed, shot with no real finesse or skill and just loving boring for the most part.

What a top dude, hire him for your kids sweet sixteen (if she passes his weight limit and will wear a bikini).

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

EL BROMANCE posted:

This seems to be his forte: awkward looking half dressed girls, badly posed, shot with no real finesse or skill and just loving boring for the most part.

What a top dude, hire him for your kids sweet sixteen (if she passes his weight limit and will wear a bikini).

He seems like a pretty awful person in addition to the whole best photographer part. Really, though, It's like 95% of everything on Model Mayhem, except she's wearing a top.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the worst part of his photography is how boring it is. No time and effort in either setting up the shot and seemingly zero post processing. It was a disappointment after reading the rant, but still an enjoyable juxtaposition based on how good he obviously thinks he is.

Wonder if I can find his gear list. I bet he shoots a full frame beast with at least one ridiculously priced lens. At the minimum.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I love how he nailed the focus on that dog's dick.

Edit: OMG he's this guy.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 7, 2017

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
All photos © 2016 D Allen Studio

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those pictures probably look fine to him because his perception of reality is so skewed.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
Oi! Stop posting his photos! Haven't you seen his latest post?

quote:

OFFICIAL NOTICE:
I do not give Facebook or any entities associated with Facebook permission to use my pictures, information, messages or posts, both past and future. I hereby give notice to Facebook that it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or take any other action against me on the basis of this profile and or its contents. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of privacy can be punished by law (UCC 1-308-1 1 308-103 and the Rome statute). No comments necessary, they will be deleted!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I found the post chronicling the last 5 years of his insane amount of area and name changes. Glad to see it's not a new prick, but one that's been here all along.

All the comments under that post have vanished now which is a shame, as Facebook says there was a stack of new ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had no idea all you had to do to avoid censure was to forbid it. This will make my life so much easier!

I hereby give notice to the IRS that it is strictly forbidden to take any action against me forcing me to pay taxes.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
He sent me a message on Facebook then blocked me.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Hahaha what did you say to him?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

He sent me a message on Facebook then blocked me.

jokes on him. people who shove cameras up asses make a lot of money.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Hahaha what did you say to him?

He had a previous post where he was complaining about a model who had been working all night the day before and how it was ridiculous that she hadn't told him in advance that she had to work before the shoot. I commented on it and he deleted all the comments and sent me that message via his personal account.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
And now he's deleted his profile.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Helen Highwater posted:

And now he's deleted his profile.

Will his new profile and alias be better? Let's hope so!

Edit: Also the comment exchange in that DIYPhotography blog post is amazing, so many new things learned.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 9, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The internet is a harsh place, only the strong survive.

Hopefully he found this thread.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Hmm what image will best convey the atmosphere at this deadly fire? Oh I kno

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
Maybe it was his ex-wife?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

quote:

We set out with the ambition of not shooting cliche tourist trap shots and find some different view points. This was shot on a 5Dmkiii with a 17-40 F4 lens at F16, ISO125, 30sec exposure. Final editing was done in Lightroom with an approach similar to starting from scratch with a colouring-in book

quote:

theres a massive blotch in the middle

quote:

Can only work with the reflections your given on the day champ

quote:

thats not the reflection thats a slider being too far

quote:

Thanks for the tip

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 20, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Listing off their gear and settings is a giant red flag, the smarter move was to not engage them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

xzzy posted:

Listing off their gear and settings is a giant red flag

it really is. Every single time.