Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
PTN, I'd just like to point out that by RAW, waking up checks are done in the end phase of the turn after you were rendered unconscious. So if you get knocked out, you will always spend at least 1 round immobile and unconscious.

Blood Pom, you have lined that Summoner up in a spot where I can take back shots and it will have a hell of a time denying them to me in future rounds. I will therefore gleefully introduce it to my IHLLs and gauss rifle. I'll have to cool down next round though. I will be running to 1708, getting me a grand total of no move mod so I may take some damage in return from the enemies over on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Remmon posted:

PTN, I'd just like to point out that by RAW, waking up checks are done in the end phase of the turn after you were rendered unconscious.

Whoops.

Oh well, too late now.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Remmon posted:

PTN, I'd just like to point out that by RAW, waking up checks are done in the end phase of the turn after you were rendered unconscious. So if you get knocked out, you will always spend at least 1 round immobile and unconscious.

I dunno, I kinda like the way it's been working so far. People experiencing momentary blackouts is a thing that happens, and I think being forced to spend a turn unconscious is a little too punishing for having sustained only one or two pilot injuries.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tarezax posted:

I dunno, I kinda like the way it's been working so far. People experiencing momentary blackouts is a thing that happens, and I think being forced to spend a turn unconscious is a little too punishing for having sustained only one or two pilot injuries.

A missed turn is still only 10 seconds of blackout time. And the roll being lower is what accounts for the "only one or two pilot hits".

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

10 seconds is instant death from -4 TH and called shots, but I think it's kind of important.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RA Rx posted:

10 seconds is instant death from -4 TH and called shots, but I think it's kind of important.

Well yeah, but passing out for 10 seconds in the middle of a gunfight is probably not a tactically sound decision in any setting. All I was saying was that 10 seconds is "momentary" and that the fact that they're minor wounds is already accounted for in the system. I'm fine with however PTN wants to run it. He already house rules a bunch of stuff in the name of fun or balance.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mostly I'm not fixing it because I'm exhausted and barely had enough time to work on the update already. I'm not going to spend 20 minutes re-editing the map and re-drawing every movement line the Black Lanner crossed, please deal with it this time and I'll be more careful next update.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's all good, especially since the Phantom was kind enough to sit still anyhow!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mostly I'm not fixing it because I'm exhausted and barely had enough time to work on the update already. I'm not going to spend 20 minutes re-editing the map and re-drawing every movement line the Black Lanner crossed, please deal with it this time and I'll be more careful next update.

Goonlance will just shoot him twice as hard next time. :black101:

It's all good. I think we were mostly having a discussion on the fluff side of things (beyond the initial rule being pointed out).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Since more players are getting their Elementals in to action, just a reminder about the relevant elemental rules:
If you shoot at a swarmed unit, and hit a torso location, there's a 1/3 chance that you hit the elemental instead of the unit you're shooting at, and the attack does full damage to the elemental before anything bleeds over to the unit it was swarming. (So a gauss rifle shot at the swarmed Mad Dog against the CT that failed the roll would do 11 damage and kill one trooper, then do 4 damage to the Mad Dog).

Swarmed Mechs with Jump Jets also automatically try and shake off swarming elementals any time they jump, with a +4 PSR (So an 8+ for our pilots). If that succeeds, then the elementals fall off in the hex the 'Mech lands in, and take a load of damage to boot.

This notably works better than the STOP HITTING YOURSELF! method that the poor Warhawk tried, where failing the PSR roll means you punch yourself in the face.

PTN, what are the conditions for the "Totally destroy a crippled enemy" objective? Like if the Warhawk eats another swarm attack to the CTR and takes a third engine crit, would the Wraiths need to keep attacking it until no torso sections are left?

Also does the weaponless Hellbringer count for the "Leave a crippled enemy alive" objective (Assuming players don't pot shot it in revenge for that headshot)?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

PTN, what are the conditions for the "Totally destroy a crippled enemy" objective? Like if the Warhawk eats another swarm attack to the CTR and takes a third engine crit, would the Wraiths need to keep attacking it until no torso sections are left?

Blow off a leg or blow off all the guns, then keep attacking it until it ceased to be functional. The Warhawk wouldn't count because it's destroyed the moment it takes another engine hit but still has weapons left so it's still combat effective. For it to count the Wraiths would have to pick off its other arm without killing it via torso/engine damage.

Edit: And then destroy it the next turn.

Gwaihir posted:

Also does the weaponless Hellbringer count for the "Leave a crippled enemy alive" objective (Assuming players don't pot shot it in revenge for that headshot)?

It's not an effective combatant and the pilot has ceased maneuvering. It's most definitely crippled but won't count for points until the scenario ends.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh wow, ok. Well, that one's not too bad if one of the ligher machines gets legged- And that Phantom is down to only 10 structure left on one leg, and the Black Lanner only has 8. (The Lanner will probably die to another gyro crit or something if it falls again though.)

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

thetruegentleman posted:

It's as Zaodai, said: they might have regular infantry, or some irregular battle armor that generally goes unused, but I don't know how they would survive the cold long enough to be useful.

Welp, that answers that question: hide in the trees, like the pilots were told to if they had to eject. The enemy BA is at Hex 2035, in case anyone is having trouble finding them. Right next to Terranblade's people, in fact.

Trouble is, the Timberwolf is the only thing down south with an active probe, so I'm torn between running north to try and reveal anything that might be hiding around the ravine, or trying to back away from the close range bracket of the enemy mechs.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Please note that I am not firing on the Phantom this turn. If my plan works and the rolls are in my favor I'm hoping to knock out all three of my targets before my Necrosia wears off.

In short, that Myst Lynx is getting laser raved.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Pouncer
I am thinking of moving my elementals to 1835 and opening fire on the gargoyle, it's not as nice a shot as the wolf spider prime would be, but it's backshots at least.

I will then be jumping my Pouncer to 740 and giving the Hellbringer both barrels. Combine it's low movement and the locations under 15 armor I should open some spots for critseekers.

Quiaff?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sadly, you don't have backshots on the Gargoyle from there, but you DO have them on the Hellbringer.

(I'd also suggest just blasting straight forward 5 with your jets, to get that +3 move mod and stay a bit closer to your buddies. You're a little closer to the enemy mechs, but there's definitely going to be targets without a +3 move mod for them to shoot so you probably won't be attracting much fire.)

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Orders in. Best of luck, little buddies.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I always worry when elemental drops scatter... Bad LZs for infantry on an ice glacier against mechs seem like bad news.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Niacin posted:

Orders in. Best of luck, little buddies.

You don't actually have enough MP to execute your orders as written, you'd need 9- You could jump to 1935 and unload your pulses on the Crimson Langur, which as a really low move mod for a relatively light mech, or jump north in to cover to protect your lower armor leg while shooting at one of the heavies.

Your Flamer could also prove super lethal to the Afreet point, although you can't quite get in range this turn. (You and Back Hack have the best anti-elemental loadouts for the southern star, so it might be good to move in that direction to help out there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Artificer posted:

I always worry when elemental drops scatter... Bad LZs for infantry on an ice glacier against mechs seem like bad news.

BA doesn't really have much trouble with terrain. They're too light and nimble for it to matter.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Timberwolf: Inject Necrosia, Move to 1137, and shoot Wolf Spider Prime with 2 LRM 20s(12 heat), 1 heavy improved laser and 1 ER large laser.

Thought about using the Improved lasers alone, but this gives a better chance to hit, and the heat is mostly irrelevant. Don't like being so close to the enemy with weapons geared more toward ranged combat, but this way allows for disengagement through the trees if everything goes horribly wrong.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Orders sent, praying the Mad Dog doesn't murderlate me. :pray:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Back Hack posted:

Orders sent, praying the Mad Dog doesn't murderlate me. :pray:

My own guess is that he'll move next to the enemy BA and go prone, in the hopes of killing two birds with one stone, at the cost of giving him an ugly penalty to hitting anything; it's armor isn't bad, per say, but the arms and torsos also aren't so tough that you would want a full-strength swarming Elemental attack to go unchallenged. Then again, it might also decide that the battle is going to be won or lost in the next 20 seconds (depending on whose assault star goes down first) so dealing with the Elementals might be seen more as a luxury than a tactical necessity.

At the very least, everyone seems to be putting their mechs in danger, so it's kind of a crap shoot as to whose gonna get blasted.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

At the very least, everyone seems to be putting their mechs in danger, so it's kind of a crap shoot as to whose gonna get blasted.

Giving me too many targets to shoot effectively is a valid tactic.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
We'll clog up their guns with our bodies!!

/Brannigan

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Still short on one set of orders, this isn't a great turn to not send them in.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
....delay? Or alternates?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Very likely delay, it is that time of year. I was hoping to get one more update in before Christmas but if it doesn't happen I'll find some way to keep you entertained.

Also, I'm very likely to start cleaning up and posting the AUTRO `Mechs on the Patreon so people can use them in MegaMek. I'll probably start with the Atlas III King Atlas, Wolf Spider, and/or Dragoon II

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Mea Culpa.

Fixing it now.

Edit: Fixed. I'm killing the black lanner from 1308. Not ideal, but I can take a punch as long as it's not from the back.

Centurium fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 21, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Time to add 'please don't send Torso Twist orders' to the pilot primer a few more times.

VVV It's not that you can't, it's just that it's unnecessary so I wind up deleting it out and any time I delete something it increases the odds that I'll slip up and accidentally delete something else too by mistake. I'll torso twist you automatically if it's needed.

Edit: See also, moving your Elementals before your `Mech. I almost ran the Pouncer out onto an ice patch because everyone else is doing `Mech first. I caught it, but that could've been pretty bad. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 21, 2016

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Sorry if we're not suppose to do that.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

thetruegentleman posted:

Remember: once part of the team decides to go in, you can't prevent anyone from getting pasted by playing conservatively yourself. The best you can do is go in with them and make sure you paste the other guys harder.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

Remember: once part of the team decides to go in, you can't prevent anyone from getting pasted by playing conservatively yourself.

It's usually very harmful to try, since you typically sacrifice your ability to do damage to protect yourself.

A good rule of thumb in BattleTech is "assume you're going to roll a 7." So if you push your to-hits up into the 9-10 range and push the enemy's up into that same range they're probably not going to hit you but you're also probably not going to hit them, and if it comes down to a question of who's going to have better luck the answer is: my dice the side with more guns.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 21, 2016

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's usually very harmful to try, since you typically sacrifice your ability to do damage to protect yourself.

A good rule of thumb in BattleTech is "assume you're going to roll a 7." So if you push your to-hits up into the 9-10 range and push the enemy's up into that same range they're probably not going to hit you but you're also probably not going to hit them, and if it comes down to a question of who's going to have better luck the answer is: my dice the side with more guns.

This is wisdom, and a mark of good game design IMO.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
What are the Elemental discovery rules? If a 'Mech winds up in an adjacent hex, will the point be discovered? I'm just wondering if there's a better way to search that pocket of woods than poking it with a stick.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
poking it with lrm's ?

I'll cut out the torso twisting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Centurium posted:

I'll cut out the torso twisting.

It's not a big deal, like I said. It's just, from experience, if I'm going to gently caress something up it's more likely to happen because I'm deleting or just not copying an unnecessary instruction (like 'taunt the target' or etc.)

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Gwaihir Mentioned something like this the other day to me on jabber, which is kind of reason why I send the orders I did. I don't really have the luxury of playing defensively because all the enemies can out range me, they got more guns than me, they've got more armor than me, they got toys that give them better hit rolls than me, and due to the nature of my mech I can't really fire all my weapons at the same time without suffering dire consequences. I have to throw as many punches as I can, while I still can, because I'm not going to win a war of attrition in my little Nova against these monstrous heavies and assaults.

At least, that's my line of thinking, but I'm a newb at this game so what do I know. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

At least, that's my line of thinking, but I'm a newb at this game so what do I know. :v:

This is good logic. If you can't win a battle of attrition you've gotta win with shocking brutality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not a big deal, like I said. It's just, from experience, if I'm going to gently caress something up it's more likely to happen because I'm deleting or just not copying an unnecessary instruction (like 'taunt the target' or etc.)

I can tell you that back in the Pirate showdown I did not want to take my little tinderbox anywhere near the firing arc of an AC/20, but when the team goes in, you go in.

• Locked thread