Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

"God drat, this movie sucks."

"...As you wish."

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Waffles Inc. posted:

If you're a lover of cinema you genuinely cannot honestly say the prequels are hideous to look at--by any objective measure they're gorgeous.

Maybe people don't like looking at movies where none of the environments are physically real and nothing feels like an actual lived-in place.

Also maybe you shouldn't post dumb poo poo like "BY ANY OBJECTIVE MEASURE" in a completely subjective post.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Brosnan posted:

Maybe people don't like looking at movies where none of the environments are physically real and nothing feels like an actual lived-in place.

Which is of course why Avatar is the top-grossing movie of all time.

(Or was it Gone With the Wind when adjusted for inflation? I can't remember.)

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I don't like prequel arguments at this point since they inevitably come down to "You're an RLM shill!" "No I'm not you're just a troll/Lucas apologist!"

The internet pop culture detritus surrounding the prequels has made it impossible to have a good casual discussion about them with relative strangers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Brosnan posted:

Also maybe you shouldn't post dumb poo poo like "BY ANY OBJECTIVE MEASURE" in a completely subjective post.

Maybe you don't actually know that much about SW since a bunch of prequel sets are in fact real physical spaces that people occupied.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

trash person posted:

I don't like prequel arguments at this point since they inevitably come down to "You're an RLM shill!" "No I'm not you're just a troll/Lucas apologist!"

The internet pop culture detritus surrounding the prequels has made it impossible to have a good casual discussion about them with relative strangers.

I didn't even know it was something people actually argued about until this thread. I don't think I've ever met anyone who's a Big Fan of the prequels.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Brosnan posted:

None of the environments?

Here's just one of many articles that have pictures of the practical effects and models the prequels use.

You're lying to yourself if you think the prequels were only a CGI-fest. That's just untrue.

Also if they're not pretty, post an ugly shot. I posted a pretty one, all you have to do is post one that's badly composed.

Serf posted:

Also not to put too fine a point on it, but people love and adore animated movies too...

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 21, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Serf posted:

Still Gone With the Wind, yeah.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still Gone With the Wind, yeah.

This gives me great comfort, thank you.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
First full week of a brand new, never before seen Star Wars movie and already back to are the prequels good or not talk.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

First full week of a brand new, never before seen Star Wars movie and already back to are the prequels good or not talk.

There's 3 SW threads in CineD/BbV, I'm sure one of them is about the newest movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Serf posted:

This gives me great comfort, thank you.

It's also number one by tickets dold, a much better metroc.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can we just rename this the Prequel talk thread??

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Can we just rename this the Prequel talk thread??

What is it that you want to talk about about Rogue One?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Brosnan posted:

I didn't even know it was something people actually argued about until this thread. I don't think I've ever met anyone who's a Big Fan of the prequels.

That's another misconception. There are only a small handful of regular posters here who are really "Big Fans" of the prequels. The problem is that having any opinion of the prequels other than an extremely negative one is not acceptable. To say that the prequels are decent but not great is regarded the same way as if you said the prequels are as good as The Godfather.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Personally I'm a Big Fan of Star Wars.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

Personally I'm a Big Fan of Star Wars.

But are you really? Think about it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

That's another misconception. There are only a small handful of regular posters here who are really "Big Fans" of the prequels. The problem is that having any opinion of the prequels other than an extremely negative one is not acceptable. To say that the prequels are decent but not great is regarded the same way as if you said the prequels are as good as The Godfather.

Sure, but I wouldn't really say that "decent but not great" accurately reflects the perspective being communicated by some of the people in this particular argument.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Waffles Inc. posted:

What is it that you want to talk about about Rogue One?

I'd like to read others opinions and thoughts on it without stuff always going back to the prequels which have been discussed to death. If the Rogue One thread has to die, so be it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I'd like to read others opinions and thoughts on it without stuff always going back to the prequels which have been discussed to death. If the Rogue One thread has to die, so be it.

I'd say if people are still discussing them, then they have not been "discussed to death".

If you want to talk about Rogue One, go for it. You can't demand other people talk about things you want to talk about if you're not willing to start things off.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

as someone that doesnt really know that much about starwars and hasnt seen all the movies rogue one was just ok. overly long (for what it was) and poorly written but what a spectacle

edit: i guess this is the wrong thread?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Serf posted:

I'd say if people are still discussing them, then they have not been "discussed to death".

If you want to talk about Rogue One, go for it. You can't demand other people talk about things you want to talk about if you're not willing to start things off.

I don't think I have seen anything new about the prequels being discussed. Cnut can only write so much (I like his views).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think I have seen anything new about the prequels being discussed. Cnut can only write so much (I like his views).

Great? Post about Rogue One, then. Surely you have some new insights for us.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

There's 3 SW threads in CineD/BbV, I'm sure one of them is about the newest movie.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801771

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Serf posted:

Great? Post about Rogue One, then. Surely you have some new insights for us.

I just loving said I am here to read about others views! Stop being an rear end in a top hat. I don't really have anything left to say about Rogue One. But this poo poo keeps getting derailed about prequels and if you did or didnt like them, their shots and other crap.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rogue One is a prequel movie. :ssh:

Not gonna lie, was kinda hoping a grizzled Gungan would've popped up behind Jimmy Smitts when he was first shown in the rebel base.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ok here's some Rogue One talk--I saw someone posted some scans on Reddit of the new visual dictionary

http://imgur.com/a/unGgO

It goes into some interesting detail that I would've loved to see in the movie. Apparently Jedha is some sort of religious confluence and there's a ton of force-related cults and whatnot who flock there. It's alluded to here and there, but this book seems to further flesh out that Jedha is like, Star Wars Mecca? Not to mention it makes reference to the fact that the Empire has basically outlawed all supernatural belief

So the Empire nukes Mecca. Incredible.

Edit: Also apparently Sheev makes Vader live on Mustafar. Yeesh.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I just loving said I am here to read about others views! Stop being an rear end in a top hat. I don't really have anything left to say about Rogue One. But this poo poo keeps getting derailed about prequels and if you did or didnt like them, their shots and other crap.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

people are dismissing things as 'fanservice' that are actually very vital to the film. The space battles are also cut to the bone. What you're missing is the importance of not showing things.

Not showing something can say a lot. We skip Jyn's adolescence the same way we skip Anakin's in the gap between Episode 1 and 2 - or Luke's career with the rebellion between Episode 4 and 5. Luke becoming a Jedi? Skipped. The entire clone war? Skipped.

The spacebattles were certainly not cut to the bone, there's a bunch of gratuitous stuff in there to make us happy so they included shots of red whatever exploding multiple times to make room for other people on the squad, there's like 2x a scene of "Tie fighter locking on to guy before killing him" and people saying they're starting their attack run, guy shooting an AT-AT and other guys shooting AT-ATs all of which could've also been shown without anyone uttering words or cut down and it would've been just as clear. But they padded it to make it exciting and there's nothing wrong with that, they should've done that with the main characters of the movie too that's all.

It's partly why the latter half of the movie resonates a lot more, sure it's familiar etc. but there's a lot of stuff in there. This was definitely not a "minimalist space battle".

Luke becoming a Jedi is shown in TESB partly the physical training and ROTJ in his confrontation with Vader where throughout the film Luke is way different in his relation to everyone. Him fighting with the rebellion in the meantime is pointless filler and not really related to what his central story is. Going into this any deeper with rgt anakin etc. is just sidetracking, clonewars were utterly soulless but it was just proxy war anyways so it's enough to know that it's a proxywar.

Luke does however have plenty of moments in the films which serve both a role in the story and a little human moment: when leia kisses luke + the hand (where the hand comes back in ROTJ) he looks on self-satisfied etc. while Han protests.

That combination of exposition and a human touch is I think what's really lacking in R1. (the scene with Krennic, Galen, Jyn at the imperial party notwithstanding, like that is good stuff, functional on many levels)

And you can now point out a scene in which K2SO says something funny, but when he says "you continue to surprise me Jyn Erso" and sappy music plays you feel like 4 scenes of them bickering about something are cut were they in conflict that much? It didn't really feel like they hated each other at all... or do I underestimate the grudge K2SO held after he didn't get the gun... ?

I'm not looking for the happy, adventurous R1, but something like the characters sharing a meal or doing just about anything normal in between which could double for exposition about motivations or what these people are like, that's kind of lacking. Right now they feel very functional in all of their dialogue etc. It was just very barebones.

Even in the PT you have more stuff like that, where people (well they sit around a lot) sit and talk and eat a space pear or something lol. Go eat a space pear in R1 while giving some meaningful insight into your life as a defecting imperial pilot and some political commentary or everything at the same time.

SMG you're arguing that everything is 'functionally present' in R1 and therefore it's a done deal and the movie is good or something but that's just not cutting it for me, I thought it was a good SW* movie and I certainly enjoyed it a lot but it's not entirely without stuff that could be better.

Nielsen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 21, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

lmao that loving space siege dragged on and on and on and on and on and on for like a loving hour of climax i dont wanna know what u think minimalist means

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I'm convinced a large element of unexamined pre-quel hate coming from the gen-X, early millenials is linked very strongly with a deep spiritual struggle that seems to live in those generations. This is all anecdotal, mind you, but the loudest pre-quel critics (at least on the internet) seem to be the same self-proclaimed rationalist liberal bunch who thinks their positivism excuses their petit-bourgeoisie place within class struggle. The Star Wars films are deeply religious ones, the pre-quels being especially christological; and lots of self-proclaimed Star Wars fans just can't grapple with those messages.

Danger fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 21, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I saw the film! Quick thoughts

* Everything visual. Each scene used the visuals to communicate an emotional message. Props were great, background were great, costume design was great. I would buy the art book if it exists.
* Female lead where her being a woman was incidental to the plot. No tragic rapey backstory, no bad guy threatening sexual violence if she were to be captured. We need more of these.
* I liked the characters and I was fine with none of them having a detailed backstory. They are archetypes, sure, but that's the idea - you should know who they are right away.
* I liked seeing people who didn't have any kind of special destiny or whatever.
* I liked how goddamn scary Vader and the Empire as a whole seemed. Particularly the part where the Imperial ships suddenly come in out of hyperspace and wreck the rebel's poo poo. The scale of their ships was effectively communicated, which corrects a weakness I've seen in almost every space opera.
* I like how this film enhances Episode IV and will make me even more emotionally invested in it the next time I watch it. It's hard to think of a sequel/prequel that does that for other films.
* I knew CG Leia was coming but I thought she looked convincing.
* I thought the thematic and emotional beats were on point.

Dislikes:
* a lot of the battle scenes really dragged. Ideally everything in a movie has a purpose - in Episode IV showing some of the X-wings getting iced showed Luke and the viewer the stakes: if Luke screwed up, that could happen to him. A lot of the shots I was just kind of bored with. I guess it was like were so many high-tension moments that there wasn't anything to make one seem more tense than the other so paradoxically they lost tension as a result.
* music wasn't particularly memorable. Not much of a complaint, more an observation.
* CG Tarkin was distracting
* Most of the stuff related to black good guy Immortan Joe was :mediocre: and seemed like holdovers from a previous draft of the script. Going back to my comment on everything serving a purpose, a lot of that could have been cut. Or it could have been expanded. Basically, we had the wrong quantity of that plot thread, more or less of it would have been an improvement.
* I really enjoyed the film overall and would recommend it, but I don't see much of a need to watch this movie again any time soon. I'll probably just rewatch some favorite scenes on youtube in a year when the fancy strikes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Serf posted:

I just don't like the way the prequels are shot, they tend to have this cloudy, video gamey look and the general ambience lacks dynamism. There's this weird, bland respectability that puts me off, especially in comparison to the vibrant earthiness of ANH and glossy, magazine gorgeousness of Empire Strikes Back. I haven't seen them in a while but I remember being struck by how unspecific the lighting in Phantom Menace was, like an episode of TNG, kind of drab, all-over lighting.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Xibanya posted:

I saw the film! Quick thoughts
* I liked seeing people who didn't have any kind of special destiny or whatever.

Uh, they ALL had a special destiny according to the will of the force.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just don't like the way the prequels are shot, they tend to have this cloudy, video gamey look and the general ambience lacks dynamism. There's this weird, bland respectability that puts me off, especially in comparison to the vibrant earthiness of ANH and glossy, magazine gorgeousness of Empire Strikes Back. I haven't seen them in a while but I remember being struck by how unspecific the lighting in Phantom Menace was, like an episode of TNG, kind of drab, all-over lighting.

I remember this being a problem for me when Attack of the Clones came out, but that was because it was shown on the wrong kind of projector in my theater. On Blu-Ray I think the movies look fantastic.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Just flipping through scenes in TPM but this one always struck me as being primarily thematically composed by the lighting

And then I just saw this one and had to post it because it's so gorgeous and pulpy and sci-fi and looks like one of Ralph McQuarrie's paintings come to life

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I saw Rogue One last night, and initially enjoyed it, even if it was overly complex without having a lot of substance.

But the more I think about it, the less I like it. And right now, I kind of think it sucks.

My main gripes are that the characters are all just types of characters, and nobody really had any actual character or personality. Edit: In fact, I couldn't really tell you the names of anybody but Andor and Jyn, and that was only through repetition.

The film went from scene to scene, fight to fight, and seemed to be checking things off a list as it went. It felt like I was watching cut scenes from a video game.

And the score really sucked. As in, I kept waiting for the familiar Williams beats, but what we got didn't match the film's tone or pace.

The CGI was really distracting and out of place - the CGI faces clearly couldn't make eye contact with their real counterparts. It was just needless, because they ended up casting similar-looking actors for other roles that'd been played by different people in older films.

The OT films introduced people with simple, broad strokes that told you everything you needed to know. This film just gave you a character with dialogue, and kept moving. And their tasks got wildly more and more complicated to reach a conclusion.

And, more than anything else, I've just come to the conclusion that this film didn't need to be made.

Red fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 21, 2016

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Sometimes I think about what the prequels would have been like in different hands. Like, same basic story outline, but with additional writers and Lucas not directing.

I usually come down to being glad the prequels exist as they do, though. They certainly have a feel. Whether it's good or bad is up for debate of course but I do appreciate the idea of Lucas' vision as a whole being presented unadulterated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ruddiger posted:

Rogue One is a prequel movie. :ssh:

Not gonna lie, was kinda hoping a grizzled Gungan would've popped up behind Jimmy Smitts when he was first shown in the rebel base.

I kind of think Jimmy Smits getting the familiar Williams score when he appears was funny. And not in a good way.

• Locked thread